Pair set to recharge UT frontcourt

Woolridge back, Maymon eligible for Charlotte game

The Tennessee men's basketball team was back at full strength Wednesday as it licked its wounds from Tuesday's 89-82 upset loss to Oakland.

Sophomore transfer forward Jeronne Maymon finally is eligible to play, and junior wing Renaldo Woolridge returned from an ankle injury that has sidelined him the past week.

The added front-line depth would have helped in the No. 7 Vols' 89-82 loss to the Golden Grizzlies. UT's bench was outscored 21-10 and failed to provide a lift down the stretch as Oakland rallied.

UT coach Bruce Pearl made it a point during Wednesday's non-contact practice to look ahead to Friday's 8 p.m. game at Charlotte (TV: CBS College Sports) rather than belabor the loss.

"How hard could I be on them? We scored 82 points. That's enough to win,'' Pearl said. "They feel bad enough; they have to learn, and they have to grow.''

Pearl hopes that growth starts in Time Warner Cable Arena, home of the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats.

The 49ers (4-6) will be without their leading scorer, Shamari Spears, who was dismissed from the team Wednesday.

"He has been out four games, so they have learned to play without him,'' Pearl said. "This is a big game for them; it's going to be a black-out.''

Charlotte is expected to wear black jerseys rather than the light-colored jerseys teams traditionally wear at home, and it requested the Vols wear their white uniforms rather than the orange they typically wear on the road.

"We'll do that,'' Pearl said. "I want to be accommodating.''

Pearl reiterated the lesson for UT to take from the Oakland loss is the importance of the team maintaining its identity of defense and rebounding.

Pearl also has taken up for Vols shooting star Scotty Hopson, who was held to seven points in the loss.

"I want to defend Scotty; I thought Scotty, even though he only made one basket, he did not get a ton of looks,'' Pearl said. "They did a pretty good job on him. I don't think it had anything to do with him not being ready. He's really been focused, and he's had a great week of preparation.

"I know he's an easy target.''

Hopson said he knows he needs to bounce back quickly.

"A lot of it, I stopped myself on my own,'' Hopson said. "There was some bad timing and bad footwork. I watched the tape and I'll take it as another lesson.

"I know this team is going to go as far as I can take them, and there are a lot of expectations for me to do a lot of things, not just score.''

Maymon's ready: Maymon, who will play behind Tobias Harris at power forward, said he felt he could have made a difference in the Vols' loss to Oakland.

"I always think I can help my team with whatever they are lacking,'' the 6-foot-7, 258-pounder said. "I'm real excited about getting to play Friday; I want to bring a lot of energy off the bench.''

Pearl said sophomore Kenny Hall will return to his primary duties at the post with Maymon's return, while Steven Pearl will continue to play at power forward as well as on the wing.

Pearl and Woolridge will compete for minutes behind starter Cameron Tatum.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/mgrif32 and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/askgriff/

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

lguy (Inactive) writes:

"licked its wounds", really?

RoadTrip writes:

Good to get them active. Really need Josh Bone.

BleedsOrangeinMO writes:

OK so the other team did a good job of guarding Scotty; if he is NBA material, then he should have been able to shake the defense more than he was able to in this past game. And he needs to stay a UT next year just to get better and improve his stock at the NBA level. Look at the last few from UT who have tried to make it into the NBA; none have so far.

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Amen! I was a little discouraged about the loss to Oakland. However, in hindsight a loss last night wasn't the worst thing for our team to get re-focused. Losing early in the season with the experience we have will set us up for Conference play despite not having Pearl for the first 8 Sec games. GBO and beat Charlotte!

Ironcity writes:

Dr. Martin did what Pitt and Villanova couldn't do. Thanks for being such a fine representative of my fine university. Now go find another place to work please you dill weed.

sambad writes:

Steven Pearl should have his minutes chopped down to 2 per game unless it's a blowout. He cost us dearly last night by his excessive fouling and his being of no help offensively.

RollAFatty writes:

in response to BleedsOrangeinMO:

How can he expect to make it in the NBA if he has no ball handling skills. It seems any time he is forced to dribble, within five bounces he has either bounced the ball off his knee or step on it.

stompintheswamp2 writes:

in response to sambad:

I have to agree he had a bad game. It happens to the best of us, but when you are struggling, your coach needs to recognize that its just not your day. There were better players on the bench that should have been in. S.Pearl must contribute in some way fairly early and often. We have too much talent on the bench otherwise.
My humble opinion with great respect for Coach Pearl.

Slystone writes:

in response to sambad:

Sam you are so right. Steve brings hustle to the game, but no offense. Can you imagine what the other teams scout sheet says about him? He is a liability offensively on the court which only helps the other teams defensively

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

I am eager to see what Maymon can bring, but no way he can outplay Harris, no one can and never will as long as he is at UT. All business, gives his all every single play and never hot dogs.

Tatum has earned his minutes and needs to get more of them, IMHO. He has been playing some ball this year along with Goins. Williams is playing much better except for this free throws in the last minutes. I finally got on board with Hopson, but he needs more consistency!!!!

An early loss can be a good thing for this team. We know they "HAVE IT" after the awesome display at the Pitt game. Just need to get "IT" back and we will be just fine! GBO!

MidTennVol writes:

Jeronne, I know you'll be full of juice when you finally get out there but please don't hurt the team with stupid fouls. We love Kenny Hall but every time he gets out there, it seems like he's trying to hack his way out of the game.

There is such a thing as playing aggressively and another thing such as playing out of control.

Please watch the fouls -- you too, Kenny. You could help this team SO MUCH if you just learned to play without fouling so often.

WE NEED BOTH OF YOU, KENNY AND JERONNE. YOU DON'T HELP US SITTING ON THE BENCH.

richvol writes:

Pearl and his subtitution patterns lost this game. We have a double digit lead in the second half and in comes Steven Pearl,McBee and Golden and out goes Brian,Goins and Tatum...the only players having any offensive success. And,he left them in long enough to lose the lead. Why do players that cannot score play 14 minutes?

IdahoVol writes:

in response to nobrainer:

What team do you follow? What is their ranking and RPI? If your team isn't too scared to schedule the Vols, how are you going to feel after that loss?

VOLFORLIFE1974 writes:

in response to BleedsOrangeinMO:

Good lord...what does, or would it take to get some positive out of these "fans"? Stay elsewhere. Vols and their fans DON'T NEED ANY PART OF YOU.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BleedsOrangeinMO:

The thing about next year sounds good to me! However, and I didn't see the game but only listened,It did sound to me like they were really tight on Hopson. Just like they keyed on Harris the Pitt. game. 27 every game is unrealistic with all the scorers we have. He does still have some learning to do but so do a lot of NBA players. I hope he stays 'cause #1 I think he'll make the draft as a 2nd rounder this year and move to a first next year? maybe...lot's of time left. #2 He really needs to work on his approach to the basket against pressure defense #3 WE'LL really NEED him next year

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to richvol:

I'm not sure those are the only reasons we lost but I have to say that those people didn't have a good game. Give Pitt. some credit at least.
These Same players did great against Nova. I think Pearl thought they'd get in the flow and his gamble lost. Our bigs didn't help by getting in foul trouble again.
We needed Maymon and Woolridge...though Woolridge sould be like Pearl and not allowed to shoot and strictly play D. You might not have seen either Pearl or Woolridge if Maymon had played. I'm still thinking about the McBee thing!lol

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to nobrainer:

Waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa Waaaaaa
Moma's boy, no one is listening, go back to
Baggin grocieries.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I meant 'give " Oakland " some credit..." but Hey it gave me a chance to post again and re-post my own.haha

TheAuthority writes:

in response to richvol:

How old is Pearl Jr anyway? I was really hoping we would be rid of him by now. He's been playing as an underclassmen? Ridiculous. Is there really any justification for him getting to play? He cannot score, even on open layups. He might have "heart" or "hustle", but that doesn't put the ball in the hoop. I mean, it's not like he's even Dane Bradshaw for crying out loud.

The ONLY players on our team that can score are Harris, Hopson, Tatum, Goins, and Williams. That's it. The starting five. Coach Pearl needs to stagger the substitutions so that at least 2 of these guys are on the floor at all times. Golden is literally our next best scorer at 5 pts per game. And wtf is swiperboy going to do now that he's back?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to TheAuthority:

All you said was ignorant.lol
But I will say they had a bad game! S. Pearl especially. He's also had some very good minutes this year.
I'd be for letting the starters play longer periods and I bet in hindsight Coach would too.

DebKY writes:

Pearl needs to take responsibility for the loss on Tuesday. His best players spend too much time on the bench, while his third string is getting too much playing time.
William's comment about Pearl only having two players on the floor at one time who could shoot the ball was right on target, but McBee was one of the two and he just can't do it!
Hall, returning from an injury, is not getting the playing time to help him bounce back so don't expect him to improve.
His son played fourteen minutes with one rebound, 1 turnover, no assists, no steals, but he did have four vowels.
Bottom line, he is playing too many players!!!
I think is a motivator, but not a great coach because he can't win the close games!
I proudly wear my orange in Kentucky, but I don't think Pearl who came to Tennessee with baggage will survive the investigation when it is all said and done!

FeelVol writes:

in response to richvol:

Good points Richvol,its beyond me as well.

TheAuthority writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

All you said was ignorant.lol

Ignorant? Please elaborate.

It's bad enough that Pearl Jr is stealing a roster spot and scholarship from someone, but the kid should not be getting any minutes unless it's garbage time when we are killing somebody. Would he really be on the team if his dad wasn't the coach?

"Some very good minutes this year" - now that is ignorant. Lucky bounces that put loose balls in his hands don't equate to "good minutes." He should recognize his detriments and take the Charlie from The Mighty Ducks approach and hang it up for the clipboard. He might know basketball and could actually be a good coach one day, but that in no way means he can ball.

bigorange61 writes:

Since Tennessee lost, someone has to be thrown under the bus. Guess Steven Pearl is the chosen one. It wasn't a very good game for him. Pearl actually played more minutes in the Villanova and Pittsburgh wins than he did in this loss.

Interesting too that Hall had 5 fouls in 5 minutes and McBee had 3 fouls in 4 minutes against Pittsburgh. But we won, so that's ok. Steve Pearl's untimely fouls are unforgiveable because we lost.

OrangePride writes:

No question about it that Maymon could have made a big difference. So thanks for nothing to the university provost office for keeping him off the floor even though it was past time for any grade to be changed. That said, the Vols had plenty of fire power and rebounding strength to win that game and win it handily. They just turned in another so-so performance, not unlike the Indy game. The got out hustled and outshot in the last 8 minutes. At some point this team will understand not to take these second tier games as a given and close them out. They have now been burned twice. I think we will play with A LOT more intensity Friday. GO VOLS!

budd#207344 writes:

After reading all these comments I am less inclined to worry about any NCAA penalties on CBP. If he needs to go we just need to name someone from this comment board to coach. They will certainly get us a NC in BB. Between their astute understanding of the game and the way they can rally the players with their comments and suggestions we will be fine

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Will the whiners please STOP! It is ONE loss!! Did you think because we beat Nova and Pitt that we were going undefeated?! Please! This is a YOUNG team with much talent! They made some dumb mistakes, but I believe Oakland will be in the tourney! The team went cold at the end of the game! We lost!...They will learn and move on! Please try and use some sensibility BEFORE you post! Otherwise, you show your IGNORANCE! GBO!

volsoutwest writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Agree. Encouraged that we have so many quality coaches out there. Maybe we could allow one in each game to sit with Coach Pearl and offer him their gems of wisdom.

TheAuthority writes:

So the consensus on this board is Father Knows Best..... errr, I mean, Coach Knows Best.

iadvol writes:

Bruce lost the Oak game for us. Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes and NEVER play his son the last ten minutes of a close game (20 points minimum).

in response to TheAuthority:

Ignorant? Please elaborate.

First of all, Steve ISN'T taking a scholarship from anyone else; he is still playing as a walk-on. Second, not everybody who plays ball is READY for, or CHASING, those loose balls; Steve gets them because he is LOOKING for them and doesn't mind getting bruised and dirty to go after them. He didn't exactly tear it up against Oakland, but for one thing he played too long with no other scorers on the floor, and for another, he was hardly the only one who didn't have a good game. And finally, in regard to one of your later posts, YES, CBP DOES know better about most things basketball-related than almost anybody on this board.

Like everybody else, I'm looking forward to seeing what Maymon brings to the party. I expect some jitters, since he hasn't played in a year, but it will be a really good sign if he merely gives us some steady minutes in his first opportunity. A big night scoring or rebounding might be too much to hope for the first time out.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

You've seen him play in Bruce Pearl's system?

toldyouthatspsuckedfor3years writes:

We can not win them all. Lets get behind this team and win the east.

in response to andforhisnexttune:

I'm not saying you're wrong, since I HAVEN'T seen him play, but one would think that a guy who was, as I understand it, a two-time Wisconsin Mr. Basketball, or whatever they call it up there, can at least play a BIT at the college level. And although I suppose they could be blowing smoke, several of the current players say he is a real battler in practice.

ralphie writes:

"I know this team is going to go as far as I can take them"

CANCER

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to ralphie:

"I know this team is going to go as far as I can take them"

CANCER

and your statement has taken you probably as far in life

that Cancer you speak of has taken Tenn Basketball to the top and it will stay.

So take your pathetic one sentence and stick it

GreerVol22 writes:

Horse pucky Pearl. Where the Defense you alllways preach on? They got out hustled and it got you beat. I'd be in their grill 'till they cried.

tmartin writes:

So, good minutues for S Pearl means he makes no turnovers and get a few loose balls????? He only gets loose balls because he is standing in the right place and the athletes are battling with each other to get rebounds and it bounces towards pearl. He provides absolutely nothing else.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I can see Maymon recharging the front line, but Woolridge? He's a pussycat, not a tough guy.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to TheAuthority:

Ignorant? Please elaborate.

Ignorace is re-posting ignorance and I'[m guilty here. Elaborate? well he's a senior for one though I was only joking about the ignorance.
The fact is he has had some very good minutes as the commentators said and many fans have said and the coach has said...etc. The Oakland game however he may like several others have just plain stunk it up.
I think I may have shown either your ignorance or your prejudice about SPearl.

murrayvol writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Ain't that the truth.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TheAuthority:

Yep!

murrayvol writes:

in response to ralphie:

"I know this team is going to go as far as I can take them"

CANCER

I thought you were sleeping with the fishes.

murrayvol writes:

Maymon can make a difference and I hope he does but the Charlotte game won't tell us much.

John_10065 writes:

in response to richvol:

I can't explain it either. But I have to wonder if there one of the three are in there, that means the other teams can double team someone else because they don't have to worry about the scoring threat.

Then again if all the non-scoring defensive guys are in at the same time, who is going to score? But I am not the coach!

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to sambad:

You must not be watching the same Steven Pearl that I am. He is the only one on the team that is constantly moving without the ball, sitting screens, rebounding and yes he can score. Watch him some time, what is bad about you sam? Your breath, your BO are you just bad all over? They is why you are posting on the site, instead of coach the BO, because you don't know Jack sh***t!

vol75 writes:

Let me sum up. Pearl is a proven, highly successful coach. As long as he and his staff understand what they are doing, that is all that matters. We just pay to watch.

in response to tmartin:

If your screen name is a tribute to our great national-championship-winning QB, you are doing him a disservice. You show over and over again that you know NOTHING about how REAL basketball is played or what it takes to have a real TEAM, rather than merely a collection of wannabe stars.

ralphie writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

and your statement has taken you probably as far in life

that Cancer you speak of has taken Tenn Basketball to the top and it will stay.

So take your pathetic one sentence and stick it