All-American Randall Cobb from Alcoa still wading through NFL options

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky wide receiver Randall Cobb said deciding whether to enter this year's NFL draft has been more difficult than when he selected the Wildcats over Tennessee.

Cobb, who was picked first team All-American this week by The Associated Press, still hasn't decided. He's been talking to as many people as he can, getting opinions on his status in this year's draft.

"It's double, triple what I went through in recruiting as far as wanting to stay home or coming here," said Cobb, who grew up in the Knoxville, Tenn., suburb of Alcoa. "The only thing I can do is pray about it and let everyone give me their input."

He said he'll take all the time he needs to make his choice until the NFL draft's early entry deadline for underclassmen on Jan. 15. The deadline comes a week after Kentucky's final game against Pittsburgh in the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham, Ala.

The 5-foot-11, 186-pound junior led Kentucky with 955 yards receiving, 401 yards rushing and 12 combined touchdowns. He also threw for three scores and returned a punt for a touchdown.

Still, he said he was surprised to learn from Kentucky spokesman Tony Neely he had been selected an All-American.

"I had worked out and I came out of my workout and I came back in, I saw a call from Tony and a bunch of missed calls and 27 Twitter updates," Cobb said. "I thought I had gotten in trouble for something."

While some of his fellow All-Americans are great at one part of the game, Cobb said he's different because he can do a lot of different things well. Because of that, he's still unsure how his game will translate to the NFL.

With Kentucky's final exams finished and bowl practices spread out over the next three weeks, Cobb said he doesn't have anything else to do but think about his future.

"There are a lot of things that will factor in the decision," Cobb said. "The clock's ticking. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing and try to wait until I feel like the time's right to make the decision."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

nocleats writes:

The only negative to not going pro would be an NFL lockout,(which I dont think will happen). Otherwise, Randalls stock will never be higher than it is right now. He could be a Hines Ward type that can juke too. I dont think staying at UK and breaking in a new QB would benefit him and could hurt his status. Also why risk the chance of injury.. He is a really good player.

VolGraduate writes:

I hope you go pro

TommyJack writes:

No brainer.

huntined#565710 writes:

Good player and should have been a VOL!! He has a tough decision to make and his stock is really high now. Never know about that SR year it could go either way..Sometimes it depends on the players around you also..Either way I wish him well except for the TENN game if he returns.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Would have been nice to see him in orange! The money for rookies in the NFL will be less the longer he waits to enter! Hope your answer is clear for your prayers!

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

RB's and WR's only have so many 'hits' in their body ....take the money, fella.

Store some away, buy yourself a used Lexus, a condo in gatlinburg (and one in the bahamas) and enjoy yourself.

Jediphysics writes:

Ask Arian Foster if he'd have stayed to break in a new QB. Ask Luke Stocker. Seriously, this is your moment... if they project you 2nd round or higher, you'd better go.

givehim6 writes:

Go in the draft son some one will draft you and when you cash those big checks you will wounder what to you so long. Besides you will never beat UT anyway.

HallowedHill writes:

$$I$$would$$never$$presume$$$to$$$tell$$Cobb$$his$$business.$$I$$hope$$he$$makes$$the$$right$$decision.$$

james#216392 writes:

Good luck in the NFL.

rockytopatl writes:

I agree with nocleats. He's a Hines Ward type and will have a long and prosperous NFL career.

Einstein writes:

Payton waited and it turned out OK. Arian Foster waited and it turned out to be a disaster until he recovered this year but signing as a free agent cost him a lot of money.

Bogus writes:

Cobb may not be 1st round material, but if I was an NFL team owner and he fell to my pick in the 2nd, I'd take him. Guy is flat-out a ballplayer, regardless of position. Not only that, he is the kind of guy that can be a locker-room presence, the kind you build a team around. He needs to go and make that money before his body wears out. Class guy.

ncvol17 writes:

what is the NFL minimum, 300K plus isn't it? Where you going to make that kind of $$ in the dog eat dog world most of us revolve within?

RoadTrip writes:

Off topic, but since we are talking about another school's player, see the link below. If you already know about this UF recruiting defection, just skip. Gear up for ZZ's rationalization...

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Thanks for the link; great news. Can't wait to see how ZZ spins this. It'll be the ole' "we didn't want him anyway". That Quitting Virus that Crier caught must be contagious,,,now all those great 4* recruits are catching it! It's going to be a helluva drop ZZ, hang on. GBO!

RoadTrip writes:

in response to wazzya69vol:

Happy to provide. You know, when Tebow and Crier were items, KNS kept the presses hot about the Gators. They leave and the ship starts sinking and - nothing. This info should have been on here.

Southland writes:

go pro and UT fans will cheer for you. You have been a great high school and college player.I wished you had the chance to play for UT. We messed up on that.You made the most of it and did a great job for three years. Go pro and enjoy yourself. You gave your word to UK and you stood by your word. I admire you for that. Your draft stock will not go up. You will not get in a bowl game next year. Go with good memories and if you stayed 10 more years you still would not beat UT