Derek Dooley on Justin Wilcox: 'Nobody on our staff has been offered any jobs'

Derek Dooley on the status of Justin Wilcox

UT defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox during practice at Haslam Field on Saturday, March 27, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Derek Dooley still wants his staff mentioned with other jobs and won't mind losing an assistant or two.

But right now the Tennessee coach doesn't plan on that happening any time soon.

UT defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox has emerged as the latest name tied to a search at Texas to fill the same position, but Dooley stressed multiple times after practice today that his stable of coaches remains unchanged. And as usual, it included Wilcox in Vols workout gear and a visor and on the field as the team began game preparation for the Music City Bowl against North Carolina on Dec. 30 (TV: ESPN, 6:30 p.m.).

"Here's all I can tell you," Dooley said. "Nobody on our staff has been offered any jobs, I don't anticipate any staff changes and I'm going to reiterate exactly what I said in (Wednesday's) press conference - it's a fluid industry, and it always is. But I don't anticipate any changes, and nobody on our staff has been offered a job.

"That's where we are. I'm never going to beg people to stay at Tennessee, because this is a great job and there are thousands of coaches that would kill to be here and we're never going to have one coach that's going to be bigger than the program. I think we should expect this every year, so get used to it because it's a good thing. When programs want your coaches, it means your coaches are doing a good job."

Wilcox did his in the first season with the Vols with a roster short on depth, though he worked through those issues and helped clinch a bowl bid by leading a defense that didn't allow more than 14 points during a four-game winning streak to end the season.

That and his reputation from a successful stint with Boise State before signing a three-year deal last February worth an average of $625,000 per year with a $300,000 buyout appears to have made him an attractive candidate to replace new Florida coach Will Muschamp with the Longhorns.

More information as it develops will be available at www.govolsxtra.com or by following @Vols_Beat on Twitter.

bebecerveza writes:

Since when did TN become a stepping stone to other programs?

richvol writes:

He came here to build something,let's hope he finishes it.

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your staff.

nocleats writes:

Lawyer speak... very specific answer. " Nobody has been offered".. Next question from media should have been, "has anyone been contacted by, or had any conversation with another school or coaching staff?" But hey, I hope the story ends here. I would like to see J Wilcox stay here for the players for at least a couple of more years. They deserve some stability.

hikerdude writes:

in response to bebecerveza:

Since when did TN become a stepping stone to other programs?

About 10 years ago.

Vol86 writes:

in response to bebecerveza:

Since when did TN become a stepping stone to other programs?

Well Texas was a stepping stone for Florida, so can figure.

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Wilcox WILL stay! I love "Precious"!

Btw, only 10 days until the Music City Bowl! Go VOLS....Beat UNC! I can't wait!

Bigger_Al writes:

I just want some continuity with coordinators. We've had four OC's in four years and three DC's the past three years (yes, Chaney was OC under Kiffin, but he didn't have control), so we spend every Spring installing new schemes and terminology. I'd love to see us get a little deeper in our schemes.

gnm53108 writes:

"I don't anticipate any staff changes"

Good.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

Hate to lose him. If he goes I wish him the best of luck and appreciate everything he has accomplished while here at Tennessee. Tennessee IS and should be considered as a PREMIER college coaching job in the coaching profession so we shouldn't have a difficult time in finding a suitable replacement, however I personally would like to see him stay for another 2 or 3 yrs to see how well his defensive schemes and tactics stack up in the SEC level of competetion.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to UTVOLSRROCKN:

Wilcox WILL stay! I love "Precious"!

Btw, only 10 days until the Music City Bowl! Go VOLS....Beat UNC! I can't wait!

I love your enthusiasm!!!

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to bebecerveza:

Since when did TN become a stepping stone to other programs?

ITS NOT !

arkyvol writes:

"Nobody on our staff has been offered any jobs,..."

is that a comment on the quality of the staff?

gohawks1 writes:

in response to bebecerveza:

Since when did TN become a stepping stone to other programs?

EVERY program is a stepping stone to assistants who desire to move up in the coaching ranks. It's the nature of the beast.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

The guy from Orange bloods .com was just on The Local Sports Animal. He said Taryl Austin's (UF DC) was thrown at recruits and Board of Trustees as Texas' next DC. Yet no formal announcement, plus dude is still coaching UF for the bowl game. Why would you tell recruits that Taryl Austin was your guy then not announce it, or then go after Wilcox? Either 1)Things fell through with Austin, 2) They wanna keep it hush hush until after the bowl game, 3) Texas is in a DYSFUNCTIONAL STATE and is moving 50 million different ways right now.

Personally, I choose #3. I think things are in such disarray at UTjr. that they don't know what the hell they are doing. Mack Brown looks a WHOLE LOT like 2005 Phil Fulmer to me. And lets say they are courting our DC. You think we fans are upset, imagine how Taryl Austin feels? Wilcox might wanna step back and take a long hard look at this Texas program, IMO.

First, Brown canned his OC, one of his best friends, a HELLACIOUS COACH who put up just under 40ppg for 10yrs for him. Canned him like dude was a TOTAL STRANGER to save face.

Second, he tells Texas Board of Trustees that Taryl Austin is his next man as a DC. OH YEAH, he decides to tell recruits that as well, no big deal.

Third, hey Justin Wilcox, come be my DC...... Is Texas a better job? Yeah in reality is is SIMPLY because of recruiting. But the grass isn't always greener my friend, not even at Texas. The last head coach left for greener pastures, a better recruiting base, all the above. Be careful with your decisions Mr. Wilcox. While I have ALWAYS loved and respected Mack Brown as a coach, he suddenly looks like a VERY dishonest man who will do what he has to do to get by. You can stay at UT, a top 10 national job. I don't give a damn what anyone says, Tennessee is A TOP TOP NOTCH JOB. You can stay here, do your damn job, and not have to worry about Dooley canning your azz. Our fans will love you till the day we die. You can go to Texas and be Mack's next sacrificial lamb... Oh yeah, and we will BURN the everliving SHAT out of your mattresses, LOL. Well I stated what I think AND know, what do you think about it Vol Nation?

jbarron2388 writes:

Wilcox is still here. That says something right?

winbigvols writes:

Way to tellum Coach Dooley. We don't want anybody here that doesn't bleed orange. This is the "REAL" UT. I will be there in Nashville to see us beat up on the TarHeels. Go Big Orange.

milhaudmeto writes:

in response to hikerdude:

About 10 years ago.

Really? any knowledgeable college football fan would conclude Tennessee was competing for SEC/National Championships 10yrs ago.......I would say more like 2yrs.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I think it would be in Coach Wilcox's best interest to stay at Tennessee atleast untill he gets his defense installed.If you prove yourself in the sec then you can right your own check.Now if the sec eats his lunch.....

in response to nocleats:

I sorta thought the same thing about "lawyer speak", but I'm glad CDD came out with something this quickly. Doesn't mean Wilcox or anybody else couldn't or wouldn't or even shouldn't leave if they thought they had a better opportunity, but it still needed to be said.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to bebecerveza:

Since when did TN become a stepping stone to other programs?

It isn't. Tennessee is one of the top 10-12 jobs in the country. John Cooper, Hall of Fame/ former Oh. State coach said the only thing keeping us from being top 5-7 was recruiting base. And I have to argue that, simply because we might not have the recruiting base, but something draws these kids here. The VERY best players in the nation have ALWAYS came to UT from all over. So perhaps we don't have a great recruiting base, but there is something MAGICAL over on that hill that allows us to get Ga's, SC, Va's best players every yr when they could stay at home. My family is from Cleveland Ohio, many Buckeye fans. They respect Tennessee to a degree that I can't even explain. All my uncles always wanted Johhny Majors as coach of OSU. I have a brother in Pittsburgh, A WVU fan. Envies the shat out of what we have here. I've been around, lot's of folks in big time college football towns recognize UT for what it is... A MAJOR HEAVYWEIGHT in the game. Now that we are down, the local media and many of our johnny come lately/ wet behind the ear fans wanna downplay it. Awe, Tennessee is a good job, a top 15-25 job. I wanna punch someone everytime I hear that trash. Go to ND, Penn St, Oh St, Mich, Ala-freaking-Bama, Oklahoma, USC, they will all tell you we are right up there with them. And we are. We're down right now, but so is Michigan. Michigan doesn't have a great recruiting base, they raid Ohio just like we do Ga. You gonna tell me because they are down and don't have a good recruiting base Michigan isn't a top football program? You gonna tell me that since ND doesn't have a good recruiting base and because they are down that it isn't a good job? ANYONE, ANYONE thinking UT is out of that top 8-12 range for football powers needs to be arrested for smoking large amounts of crack.

in response to allVolinGA:

Well, I think Chief was getting a good deal more than that in his last couple of years at UT, but there is no question that pay for top-ranked assistants, especially coordinators, has exploded since then. In fact, I was a LITTLE surprised that UT got Wilcox for "only" $600K.

loyalvol_alltheway writes:

Gotta love Dooley. His directness and unflappability in the face of adversity (throughout the season) is confidence-inspiring.

I am ticked about the Wilcox rumors. But let's all take a deep breath. Nothing is substantiated...yet.

One thing that seems to be relevant here is that Wilcox has a history of integrity. If I remember correctly, he would not take the Tennessee job until AFTER signing day because he was loyal to Boise State and didn't want to bail on them in the midst of the recruiting process.

Does this mean that he won't bail on us before our bowl?
Does this mean he won't leave until after signing day (if he leaves at all)?
Could Texas wait that long to hire a DC?

There's lots of things in play here.

I'm just going to "wait and see" and hope for the best.

But Dooley is the man!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

The Cal boards are jumping because supposedly Wilcox had reach out to their D-line coach to follow him to Texas. Wilcox going to UTjr is a hot topic on Tennessee, Texas, AND Cal boards. That's what has me worried. Wilcox being in contact with the Cal coach leads me to believe there might be something to it. But who knows? I think if it is gonna happen, he needs to get his shat and go , NOW! Don't stick around for the bowl game, just GO! If he wants to stay, and does stay over Texas, he will be worshiped here.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

BAM!!! Way to tell it like it is, RR.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

My thoughts exactly.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to bebecerveza:

Since when did TN become a stepping stone to other programs?

Right about the time when UT's fan base started valuing a coach's loyalty to the school and his "southern sensibilities" above his ability to win big games. It started on December 8, 2001. It really picked up on December 4, 2004. It became ridiculous on December 1, 2007.

Sad thing is...it's still something that we are doing today. As long as we keep doing it, don't expect coaches to see UT as anything but a stepping stone to programs that demand excellence and reward "actual"(Championship wins) over "perceived" success ("winningest coach" statistics that don't result in championship wins).

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

BAM!!! Way to tell it like it is, RR.

The local media is the WORST for this man. Last week Heather Harrington was on the radio saying UT was a top 25 job. She got attacked by callers, OLD SCHOOL dudes were calling her and flipping out. I've not listen to that rash show since. A girl in her 20's from Houston Texas that came here to play Volleyball on the radio trashing our program, LMAO! Yeah, talk about losing credibility... Between her and Hyams, I've NEVER heard a program get dogged so BADLY by its own "local media". They CONSTANTLY say it's a top 25 job, yet EVERY time they interview a sports writer from another town they view UT as a better program than K-town writers, LOL.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Don't worry about it, Rich..but I know that is easier said than done..Focus on the things you can change as opposed to the things can't change..Don't know what else to tell ya' other than whatever will be, will be..I totally get where you are coming from, though.

BTW..About the Cal coach thing, Dooley said that that was news to him and I'm pretty sure he knows most everything that goes on with his coaches and players...He runs a tight ship and does things his way...I actually stumbled upon the Cal sight and saw what you are talking about..I wouldn't put my worries into it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I guess they want to seem "unbiased" so they go to the extreme the opposite way and in turn make themselves look like fools. Being a member of the media usually carries a stigma itself. Being a media member with an agenda is even worse.

utfpmd writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

Except Vandy.

pms151 writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

It is working at FSU.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

Davy Crockett went to Texas , look what to his arse ....

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

I'm not a paying member to the Cal sight. But I just wonder why he would be contacting their D-line coach? That's all I'm saying. If UTjr. is interested in our DC, it's gonna be a big story. But I'm sure Cal could give a HOOT about what happens between us and UTjr. But for Cal to have a giant picture of Wilcox PLASTERED on the main page of their websight makes me think that he DID contact their D-line coach. Just seems kinda funny to me. To me that's grounds for being terminated if he doesn't take the Texas job. If he want's the Texas job, take it. Don't shop around and try to build your staff and if it doesn't work come back here. Nahhh, Dooley said it best.... "there are 1,000 people who want this UT DC job." And I LOVE IT! Because he's basically saying the same thing I am. If Wilcox wants us we will embrace him. If he wants to go, pack his stuff and go now. We will move forward with him or without him.

I gotta say, I doubted Dooley a bit at first, especially after the Jane Kiffin ordeal. I gotta man up and say I was wrong. He tells it how it is. And right now he's basically telling Wilcox to shat or get off the pot, LOL.

jbocap writes:

Wilcox spent 4 years at Boise making half what he makes now and only after 1 yr at Tennessee, he's that big of a catch of Defensive Coordinator for Texas???? hmmm

PureOrange writes:

Dooley is right. Tennessee is great place to be and he will not beg. Love it!

Get your heart in or get your butt out. I agree with that idea.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to milhaudmeto:

Cutcliffe left TN twice. Other coaches left for other jobs as well. It is simply part of the game.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to PureOrange:

Dooley is right. Tennessee is great place to be and he will not beg. Love it!

Get your heart in or get your butt out. I agree with that idea.

I think Kevin Steele would have been a better pick last year when it come to heart in Tennessee

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to PureOrange:

Dooley is right. Tennessee is great place to be and he will not beg. Love it!

Get your heart in or get your butt out. I agree with that idea.

This post is a thing of beauty. I hope Dooley looked him straight in his eyes and said what you just said.

However, lets not take our eyes off Taryl Austin at UF. Wouldn't be shocked at all if after the bowl game he was named Texas' DC.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Maybe. But with the limited numbers the team had on the defensive side, I think that Wilcox might have done as good a job as the next guy could have. Heart or no heart.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

I agree. Thing is, Clemson gave him a HEFTY raise to stay last yr. HOWEVER, another 7-5 season for Dadgum Sweeney and the ENTIRE Clemson staff might be looking for work. Rocky Top might look A WHOLE lot better now than a yr ago for Steele. He's a darn good coach. Darn good post Jo.

SEC1 writes:

in response to jbocap:

Texas is a much better job with their resources and recruiting, heck look at the recruiting class now it's ranked #1 scout,rivals,espn, and they are coming off a dismal 5-7 season and still have 5* recruits beating down the door, Wilcox would be a fool to turn down UT(BURNT ORANGE) it currently rank as one of the top 3 programs.... so if ut is interested i'll bet wilcox will "KEEP QUIET" until music city bowl is over then he will bail since texas is not playing in a bowl game it's no rush to get to austin but i'll bet around jan 1 or 2nd he'll announce that his U-HAUL truck his sitting in front of his house.. just my thought

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to Vol86:

Well Texas was a stepping stone for Florida, so can figure.

While I don't think UT is a stepping stone at all...Texas wasn't a stepping stone for Florida..going from asst. coach to HEAD coach is what most assts coaches strive for..if he had left to be DC at Florida then that would have been a different story...

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

It's all about dead presidents, if Austin puts enough zero's with the decimel point in the right place, he will bolt. Not saying it would be the wrong move, may put him in line for the "coach in waiting" position. Life's about opportunity, and when it knocks you need to at least open the door and listen.

GO VOLS!!!

OrangePride writes:

Well, I would like to see him stay, he has unfinished work and two years left on his original agreement with Tennessee. Were this a head coaching job, I would certainly not blame him a bit for the short time here. But as this is simply a lateral transfer with perhaps some added money, I'm not as forgiving as some of the others. Texas is a good program, absolutely. But I tell you what, SO IS TENNESSEE! Every bit as good. Make the case for an easier recruiting season if you want, but if you are worth your salt, you can recruit to Tennessee and do well. So we will see where it comes out. I'm with Coach Dooley on this....."we don't beg anyone to stay."

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Texas also has another storm brewing because of some off the field incidents involving accusations of sexual harassment/ misconducts and maybe some cover ups. I'm not throwing stones cuz we've had enough off the field incidents to keep Chris Low and Finebaum happy for years. But, I agree with Rich: the grass ain't always greener....

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to PureOrange:

Dooley is right. Tennessee is great place to be and he will not beg. Love it!

Get your heart in or get your butt out. I agree with that idea.

Are we running an SEC football program or a soup kitchen? This type of thinking is what has kept, and is keeping, the Vols mediocre.

We fired the only coach that would have worked for nothing at our school...because he couldn't win big games. If we follow your attitude, 2012 will roll around and we'll be right back where we were in 2008.

Pay for talent, because if you don't somebody else will. And if you haven't noticed, the maxims, culture, and history of UT football haven't been as successful at retaining talent as...oh, I don't know...money.

Welcome to the real world ladies.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to TheMemphisSlim:

I completely agree. These coaches salaries are getting out of control. Assistants are making $1 million?

Volunteer_In_Husker_Country writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Great post. I live in Nebraska, whose college team could very well fit in on that list of "powerhouses." The Husker fans are very respectful of Tennessee and realize that our program is one of the best in the nation. I had a major Sports Editor in Omaha tell me, when Tennessee was 2-6 this year, that Tennessee is like Nebraska in that great coaches will get fired for not qualifying for a bowl game. His exact statement was that Tennessee is one of the Top Ten programs in the country and capable of recruiting anywhere. We are not a "Top 25" program, we are a "Top 10" program. The ship has been a little off kilter, but with the look of things in Knoxville and Gainesville, the SEC EAST is about to right itself. Our facilities are the best (and getting better) in the nation, bar none. Ultimately, Tennessee is a great place to coach. If Wilcox goes to Texas, in the midst of that awful storm, I will only wonder why Hammy hired someone so stupid. Go Vols!

jobrando#216494 writes:

Just on a positive note Northwestern HS finished 5th in the nation per rivals and speaks highly of the team and Justin Worley.