GVX247: New Vols site offers more in-depth coverage

A logo of GVX247, a new website that is being launched by the Knoxville News Sentinel in partnership with 247 Sports. It will be a paid site focusing on football recruiting.

Photo by Laddy Fields

If you're a University of Tennessee sports fanatic who just can't get enough about the Vols, the News Sentinel has what you need.

The newspaper is expanding its GoVolsXtra brand by partnering with digital sports network 247Sports to launch a new subscription-based website called GVX247.com, which makes its debut Thursday.

It's the perfect site for fans who want more in-depth recruiting news and expert discussion about UT football and men's basketball.

"We experimented with making GoVolsXtra a subscription site a few years ago, and we decided we wanted to provide free access to our core Vols coverage," News Sentinel Editor Jack McElroy said. "That won't change. GoVolsXtra.com will continue to have all of the same news and commentary it has now.

"But the GVX247 partnership allows us to hire more sportswriters and join a national network to bring Tennessee's most intense fans even more information."

247Sports is the brainchild of Shannon Terry and Bobby Burton. The two previously created the Rivals.com sports network, which they sold to Yahoo! in 2007 for $98 million. Now they are building a new national sports network, and they wanted the GoVolsXtra brand to be part of it.

"The Knoxville News Sentinel is a name that is synonymous with coverage of University of Tennessee athletics," said Burton, president of 247Sports. "Combine that with our network of affinity sites, our expertise in the recruiting space and our technology and social-media offerings, and we think we've formed a great team to cover the Vols."

Two sportswriters with previous experience covering the Vols have been hired by 247Sports. Wes Rucker has covered the Vols for eight of the past 10 years, most recently as the UT beat writer for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, and Ryan Callahan has covered the Vols for six years, most recently for the Maryville Daily Times.

Rucker's main duties will be team coverage, while Callahan will focus on recruiting. Online, they will write exclusively for GVX247.com. But their coverage also will be available in print in the News Sentinel.

"As always, the Knoxville News Sentinel is committed to bringing the best local coverage of University of Tennessee sports to our customers," News Sentinel Publisher Patrick Birmingham said. "This new partnership with 247Sports gives us exclusive, first-hand information and gives our serious Vol fans an opportunity to interact with the experts and be the first to get the scoop on UT sports or other teams of interest as well."

Subscriptions to www.GVX247.com will be $9.95 per month, or $107.40 per year (a 10 percent savings on the monthly subscription).

The site, which offers a seven-day free trial, will include an interactive message board that will allow fans to converse with the sportswriters about UT's teams and recruiting. The site is also integrated with social media services such as Facebook and Twitter.

The News Sentinel is the second newspaper to partner with 247Sports, which is based in Brentwood, Tenn. The Austin (Texas) American-Statesman recently partnered with 247Sports for extensive coverage of University of Texas athletics.

"Forming a partnership like this one with the News Sentinel is another big piece to the puzzle we're trying to build," said Terry, CEO and chairman of 247Sports. "We're putting ourselves into position to provide fans a one-stop shop for their favorite teams."

Dave Link is a freelance contributor to the News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Links

BankerVol writes:

No thank you.

VictorKruger writes:

I was a paid subscriber to this site before it became free, and if I remember correctly, those few dollars a month helped keep the trolls out. This new subscription site seems pricey to me, so I guess I'll continue to ask KNS for an "ignore user" feature on this site. If anyone knows of a good Firefox Add-on to ignore posts from particular users, please send me a PM with the info. Thanks.

Volsfan1985 writes:

I think i like this based on this reason what roll is seriously going to spend 10 bucks a month on a vol website?

Volsfan1985 writes:

in response to Volsfan1985:

*Troll*

milhaudmeto writes:

I concur, I'm a student attending UT myself and why in the hell should I have to pay for information on sports to a local news paper that already covers my team!!?..........I'll pass!

VolGraduate writes:

I'm not paying a damn thing

VolGraduate writes:

Not a bad idea though. Probably anything over 1500 subscribers a year is pure profit

volcycle writes:

$10 a month to read recruiting speculation....really! govols.com was free, then they tried to make us pay, and then they made it free again. I expect the same for this one. The Times Free Press, The Tennessean, Rivals, Volnation, and youtube (for recruiting videos) are good supplements for govols.com. I'll stick with those.

BrRice16 writes:

I guess none of you actually read the story. What exists now will remain free. The new coverage from Rucker and Callahan will be subscription-only. You aren't going to have to pay anything to continue to get what you already get here.

CalPolyVol writes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... no thanks.

milhaudmeto writes:

in response to BrRice16:

I'm assuming you're incapable of reading posts yourself kiddo, if you actually read most of the posts, we are aware of the free sport coverage by GVX, but dont you believe certain coverages on recruiting/practices/ and other important information will be apart of this "so called new paid coverage"?....really?

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Make it a 60 day free trial and I will think about it. How can one determine if the site will be troll-free and worth the money for the news in just 7 days? Why only football and mens' basketball? Why not cover all UT sports for that kind of money?

tovolny writes:

Not again! The pay for the news site is a BUMMER. First: why pay for the stuff off the AP, and ESPN site. Second: recruiting news can be read at the BUCKEYEXTRA site...for free. Third: goes to show you how mislead KNS is. Advertising down the right side made billions for Google. If KNS doesn't know that ads pay their bills, not the readers, then HORSE FEATHERS. The GVX site is very lower level compared to about 25 other college town newspaper sites. If you rely on KNS to provide you with the latest recruiting news, then you will be behind me about 12 hours.

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

uhhh...no thanks.

chrisw2967 writes:

If I was going to pay $10.00 a month it wouldnt be for 247 , what I have read so far for free on the web site is a joke.
I will stick with kns and volnation and keep my money.

wazzya69vol writes:

Yawn,,,,no thanks! GBO!!

lyafarre writes:

Agree with all of the "no thanks" comments, especially considering the hefty subscription fee. Why buy the cow when the milk's already free?

stompintheswamp2 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

He would pay $19.99/month. He knows a guy that turns food stamps into cash. Seriously, he would pay. His pathetic life revolves around GVX.

newtonrail writes:

Bobby Burton's "non compete" time must be up against Rivals. I think I'll keep Volquest on Rivals. This thing is going to have a lot of kinks for awhile.

VolWoman writes:

With the chats Austin Ward does plus now the recruiting writer - Andrew Gribble, I'm pretty pleased with the Vol coverage I get now for free. I think the 247 site is hiring good people so we'll see. Rucker was a good hire for them. I like that a membership gives access to every team's site and forum.

pickinhick writes:

Well, this forces me to decide whether to buy new banjo strings each month or subscribe. Think I will just keep new strings for playing Rocky Top

ScubaTurks (Inactive) writes:

I'd pay ten bucks a month just to move the inane 'tweets' from Rucker to a site where I don't have to see them anymore. I really don't care what he, or his wife, had for breakfast this morning....

RockyTopVolFan writes:

What happens ON the field is what matters.

What is written about the teams is just BS.

Watch/GO to the games if you really want to know what is happening and don't forget to look at the scoreboard...that is all that matters in the end.

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

thanks but no!!!!!!!

DocWatson writes:

in response to ScubaTurks:

I was thinking the same thing.

10 bucks a month for Wes Rucker? Based on his tweets it will be nothing but cheerleading and babble. He sold KNS on it though. Look for him to be a KNS beat writer when this venture fails.

vegasvol writes:

How about $29.95 a year? If memory serves, that's what govolsextra was.

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to BrRice16:

Thanks DeerPark12.

And not all the forums and content at GVX247 will be behind a paywall. The forums have both open and member topics or threads. GVX247 is for the serious Vol fan who wants to do more than post "First" on a story.

-- jack lail

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to BankerVol:

No thank you.

BankerVol, when it launches, you might give it a shot with the seven day free trial. How can you go wrong there?

-- jack lail

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to Makeing_The_Call:

If you won't pay for a service, how would you know anything about VolQuest, a paid subscription site?

VolQuest is part of the Rivals network. 247Sports is the company created just a few months ago by the founders and several key members of the Rivals team.

Both the coverage and the technology will be better (obvious bias). :)

What about trying the 7-day free trial and then making up your mind. Whether it is for you depends on how serious a fan you are.

-- jack lail

sportspeak writes:

Gouge, gouge, gouge. Take your new pay site and shove it!

mikec1000000 writes:

For me, I wouldn't mind paying for Vols news as long as it was VOLS news. One would expect a site, such as govolsxtra.com, to be about the Vols, but, unfortunately, articles pertaining to other schools, coaches, and players litter this website. Knoxnews.com has a sports page for those non-Vol articles, but they choose to force it on this supposed Vol site. I would be afraid the pay site with 247 would be no different. Unless I get an asurance, in writing, that the new site is only, ONLY Vols, I'm not buying it.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

I'm not interested in paying monthy or yearly fees to get the news from the new site. If the new site is as slow as this one, then the news will come as fast as a snail crawling across Texas on a 20 degree day. I will stay the course that I have in obtaining news. With the ones I have, I can wait a day or two to get it. My world will not stop turning just because I don't have it at the split second that it happens.

On a side note, I am just shocked that John Adams isn't promoted to the Chief Editor (joke). Now wouldn't that just rattle some bones.

sadvol writes:

You guys aren't real... or serious fans.

Aren't you listening?

If you were, you'd pay. They've mentioned that in the article and in several posts by the staff.

To be a real fan, you have to pay!

ClassicVol (Inactive) writes:

I won't even buy one of their newspapers and i sure won't be buying this.

wsmows writes:

I removed my own comment.

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to ClassicVol:

I won't even buy one of their newspapers and i sure won't be buying this.

Why thanks, ClassicVol!

Bubbanuts2010 writes:

No way I'm not paying a dime, No thanks

VOLinATL writes:

Frankly, this site should be on a pay basis. I don't understand how people think stuff online should be free, wen you used to have to shell out money for the same thing in print?

VolGraduate writes:

I was going to sign up until I read jack lail's posts. First!

wskeen#212984 writes:

It will be just like the first try where they also said the coverage on the free site would continue like nothing had changed. But, over time, more and more of the "cream" always ended up on the pay site. All the regular site got was player profiles and game day traffic information.

mcgink2 writes:

looks like the KNS staff is a little defensive about their new product... $10 a month to read info by 2 new sports writers is a joke. Just because I refuse to pay that doesn't mean I'm not a "real fan"....

VolGraduate writes:

in response to VOLinATL:

Online advertising based on hits. Charging is double dipping

gnm53108 writes:

Sounds like something that atleast needs to be checked out.

wskeen#212984 writes:

in response to VOLinATL:

I already pay $44.00 a month to be able to read the articles. The sites make their money from advertizing. It would be like paying a subscribtion to watch the local news on tv even though they run all those commercials.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I won't pay! I'm getting used to the trolls! I know who they are ...mostly. I can skip them and not pay anything. I doubt there will be any news that I can't find somewhere for free. If people want to pay then good for you. We need more jobs. There aren't near enough opinions about sports! LOL

VolGraduate writes:

in response to tovolny:

12 hrs early is your argument? You should work for jack lail. Both of you are well versed in failing

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to wskeen#212984:

If you have cable or satellite then you pay the prescription plus the &*%$#@ commercials come on DURING the program you are watching!!!? Some channels surround the screen with adds!? But somebody's getting paid to do all that and all jobs are good...for someone.

wskeen#212984 writes:

If 247 Sports is good enough it should be able to make it on it's own as a purely subscription service. (with or with out advertizing banners.) It should be in competition with GVX not a part of it. As long as the partnership exists, good Vol fans will always believe that GVX is holding out the really good stuff and passing it over to 247. If, in competion with GVX, 247 gets their own better stuff, the subscribers will eventually come on their own. It's the partnership that has a smell to it.

VolGraduate writes:

The regular GVX info will suffer due to this. Those of us who remember the last time this happened are aware of that. Essentially KNS is forcing us to pay or leave. I so however realize this is a business decision because 1500 paying readers generate more income than 5000 non paying readers.

rocky_topper writes:

No thanks. I pretty much get all I can stand just coming onto this site.