Janzen Jackson's father: 'He's doing well'

Tennessee defensive back Janzen Jackson tackles Ole Miss running back Jeff Scott at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010.  The Vols defeated the Rebels 52-14.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee defensive back Janzen Jackson tackles Ole Miss running back Jeff Scott at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010. The Vols defeated the Rebels 52-14.

NASHVILLE - Lance Guidry, the interim coach at Miami (Ohio), said Wednesday his son, Tennessee safety Janzen Jackson, is dealing "well" with the serious family issues that caused him to miss more than a week of bowl practice earlier in the month.

Speaking on The Sports Page, a Knoxville News Sentinel-affiliated sports talk show on The Sports Animal, Guidry said he’s been in contact with Jackson on a daily basis since the sophomore returned home to Lake Charles, La., shortly after fall semester exams.

“It’s kind of a family situation,” said Guidry, who, like UT coach Derek Dooley did earlier in the week, declined to divulge specifics about Jackson’s absence.

“He’s dealing with it well. He reported to practice. He’s been staying in touch with the coaches. We’ve talked every day during the process. He’s doing well. I expect him to play well in the game. It ought to be a good matchup between Tennessee and North Carolina.”

Jackson returned to practice Sunday when the Vols reported to Nashville for the Music City Bowl. Despite requests, he was not made available to reporters Sunday or Monday, the latter of which serving as the final day of player availability before today’s game at LP Field.

“I think he’ll keep it quiet,” Guidry said. “Some things you open up about and other things you don’t. You kind of keep it within your family.

“I think that’s what he’s going to do, he’s going to keep it within the family, which is probably the best thing.”

Dooley said Sunday he would allow Jackson to decide whether or not to share any details with the public.

“It’s just not my place to make that decision,” Dooley said.

Guidry, who served as Jackson’s coach for three years at Carencro (La.) High before taking a job at McNeese State before Jackson’s senior season, said he’s been able to catch all of UT’s games on TV this season. He saw Jackson shine in person when UT downed Vanderbilt on the RedHawks’ open date.

“I thought he played well. Of course, he can always get better,” Guidry said. “He handled the off-the-field a lot better than the year before. That was the biggest thing.”

Jackson was suspended for three games last season when he, along with two former teammates, Mike Edwards and Nu’Keese Richardson, were arrested on alleged armed robbery charges. Jackson’s charges were later dismissed and he returned for the 2009 regular season finale against Kentucky.

Widely considered the most talented player on UT’s defense, Jackson started all 12 games this season, finished with 65 tackles and four interceptions and picked up second-team, All-SEC honors from the league’s coaches.

“I’m always concerned as a daddy about off-the-field stuff,” Guidry said. “He’s had a good year all around and I hope that continues.”

Guidry joked that Jackson might be pondering a transfer to Miami (Ohio). Guidry recently took over as interim coach after Michael Haywood was named coach at Pittsburgh.

“He doesn’t want to play for his daddy,” Guidry said.

Andrew Gribble covers Tennessee football and recruiting. He may be reached at 865-342-6327. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Andrew_Gribble and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/gribble/

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ravensearay writes:

I wish the media would stop prying. Private issues are just that......................Private!!!!

gohawks1 writes:

Situation is none of my business... glad to have you back, Janzen.

RichmondKyVol writes:

Even football players deserve some personal privacy. I hope the piranha press has enough self respect to not harass Janzen about this.

RoadTrip writes:

The press has the right to question and discuss anything about JJ's status and performance as a football player at UT. That's it. Family and personal issues are none of their or our business. Leave him alone.

Glad you are back JJ. Let your play on the field speak for you.

rockytop4ever writes:

Nobody cares why he was with his family last week except KNS. Leave the poor guy alone. They call it personal issues for a reason. Go Vols! Welcome back JJ.

MusicCityVol writes:

Just glad to hear he's back in time for the game!

TommyJack writes:

None of my bidness. But what's the deal, JJ?

thvol writes:

Jasckson will play lights out in the Bowl game against UNC. Hope he can play in the cold. Denarius seems to be a little timid.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to chuma:

Dont be.

It's ok if he wants to keep this priavte but if HE decides he wants to air it out then of course us fans would want to listen.It's not a bad thing that we're concerned about one of our Vol kindred.

cwbytruckers writes:

The KNS is like a nosey wife. Always in everyones business but her own.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

What's with the "cold" talk? Is Nashville supposed to be 20/30 degrees or something? Someone fill me in.
I thought it would be like in the 40's or 50's.

We probably played in just as cold temps the last 2 games I'm guessing. If we were playing in Minnesota or upstate New York it might be different.

Anyway...............go Vols and Happy New Year !

jjsteel writes:

in response to TommyJack:

None of my bidness. But what's the deal, JJ?

your rite....none of your business.

Likearose writes:

The fans are all just happy to have Janzen back in the game. It's mostly the News Sentinel that doesn't want to respect his wishes. SHAME on you News Sentinel!!
Welcome back Janzen! Go get get 'em!

thvol writes:

Check out this guys predictions on the MCB!

Slystone writes:

KNS - just move on. Perhaps you can entertain us with a Kiffin story like you always do. This matter should be closed unless Janzen brings it up. You guys need to learn to let it go. Dooley said it was a private family matter. End of story.

Colliervol writes:

Nobody's business but his and the family. Isn't it about time for you guys to go interview Johnny Majors again?

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Glad to have you back,JJ!!! Lay some hits on some Tarheels!!

Alwaysavol writes:

"Guidry recently took over as the RedHawks' interim head coach after Michael Haywood left to assume the same position at Pittsburgh."

Haywood left to become interim head coach at Pittsburgh? I believe he left to become the permanent head coach at Pittsburgh. Of course, with the high turnover and short tenure of head coaches these days, I guess you could say that all head coaches are in an interim position.

tombear writes:

in response to thvol:

Check out this guys predictions on the MCB!

don't feed the troll.

jumby92 writes:

Loser sportswriters (I use that term loosely) love to try to create their own stories. The sports-talk morons love to do that too. Listen to Dave and Terry on The Drive and tune out Austin Ward and those idiots on SportsTalk. It is a private family matter and that is what it is...period and it is NONE OF YOUR (OR OUR) BUSINESS!!!

thvol writes:

Who's the newest Recruit for UT! This Top rated Juco Player has UT in the running and They stand a good Chance.

AlphaMan1 writes:

I heard he and his family were being harassed by an annoying KNS reporter.

mtowntim writes:

in response to tombear:

don't feed the troll.

Believe dude is pushing his own blog.

Janzens biz is Janzens biz. I'm glad he hasn't been available for interviews. He doesn't need to be dogged on by the press.

EHSvols23 writes:

Ok guys, let's take off the orange covered glasses and not crucify KNS over this Janzen Jackson story. This is a really big story for UT. He's our best player on defense, and with a lack of multiple stories during the bowl period, I can see why they are asking questions.

Does any not think, personal matter or not, that it is a just a little unusual for him to up and leave the team for such a period of time, then return once the team leaves for Nashville ? I have said before I think there is a little smoke here(no pun intended) from what happened in the dorms. There have been no reports of a death in the family, as with Oku, and is academically eligible. I hope everything turns out okay, but after the bowl game, and the explanation is given, I won't be suprised if it truly wasn't a very personal family issue that required he return to Louisana.

Regardless, GO VOLS. My prediction for the Music City Bowl ?? PAIN. Carolina is going to be singing the blues after this beatdown. UT - 42, UNC - 17

NYvolFan writes:

I know he's certainly too busy right now for this, but hope Janzen eventually gets a look at this string of posts so he can see that UT fans RESPECT his privacy and that the media has major issues of disrespect. I think he'll appreciate the support shown here.

allntl1#565211 writes:

Well I for one want to know how he got home, what he ate while at home, and did he drink sweet or unsweetend drinks. KNS must take some lessons from real newspapers because enquiring minds want to know.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

I thought it would be like in the 40's or 50's.

Anyway...............go Vols and Happy New Year !

Reporter: Do you like the cold?

Player: No, not really, nobody does.

Logic: Most normal people do not go stand out in the cold, they prefer somewhere comfortable, general in a warm environment.

I did not know common sense became a news story or edge to a football game. It's just common sense.

Not trying to offend, but I don't see a story, I see a headline, but not a credible story.

UTbassdrummer writes:

in response to TheMemphisSlim:

You suck. Not appropriate, relevant, or
funny.

Also, we can't you type?

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to jumby92:

Hell Yeah! People that do stuff for a living are idiots at what they do! Stop listening to those idiots on the radio...and start listening to those other guys on the radio. Everyone is stupid for being curious! Everyone is horrible at their job, except for those guys that believe what you believe!!!

NYvolFan writes:

in response to allntl1#565211:

Great post directly after mine...Hope Janzen gets a laugh off that!

ncvol59 writes:

I suggest removal of the article from the web site!

jumby92 writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

Wow, you must have a degree in journalism from UT. You managed to totally miss the point completely and also add in a few extra statements that were not even said. People who do "stuff" for a living are not idiots. Don't know how you make a living doing "stuff" but I'll take you at your word that someone is doing it. Never said curiosity was stupid...although I was told that a cat ran into trouble with it...and lastly, I didn't state that everyone is horrible at their job but I will take your word for it.

EHSvols23 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I didn't say that it WAS reported as a death in the family for Jackson. What I was saying was they went ahead and said that Oku had left the team to deal with deaths in the family. I would consider that a personal family issue, wouldn't you. The feeling that I get is that if it something that can be easily expained, they would just come right on out and say it, as they did with Oku. It all just seems vague and without explaination. Personally, I don't care what he did as long as he didn't hurt someone else. But I am just simply naturally curious, and the lack of a upfront reason just makes you wonder. I don't blame KNS for asking questions when UT/Dooley doesn't real give a clear cut reason. They are journalists. Ridiculous, annoying, intruding as they might be, their job is to ask questions.