College of Charleston next in rotation for Vols

Hopson gets assignment to stop 3-point shooter Goudelock

Tobias Harris on UT's close win over UT Martin

Bruce Pearl on the College of Charleston

Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl believes the Vols will "step up" for Friday's game with the College of Charleston.

Why?

"Because we know we have to step up against this team,'' Pearl said, referencing the Cougars (8-4). "This is a team we'll be excited about playing.''

UT tips off with the Cougars at 2 p.m. at Thompson-Boling Arena (TV: ESPN2).

Pearl concedes the Vols (9-3) hardly are a finished product as four new starters continue to grow into their roles.

Injuries, illnesses and travel delays also have forced UT to continue to shuffle the deck with hopes of finding a suitable rotation.

The Vols survived upset-minded UT Martin on Tuesday night with a 68-62 win.

The UT players said positives came out of the win despite what the surprisingly close margin might suggest.

"We closed it out pretty well and came together,'' Vols senior point guard Melvin Goins said following Thursday's practice. "They hit some good shots, and we missed some shots we normally make.

"But we didn't even watch film of that today; we just worked on Charleston.''

The Cougars were among the preseason favorites in the Southern Conference and feature the league's preseason player of the year in senior Andrew Goudelock.

Goudelock, a 6-foot-2 shooting guard, ranks second in the nation with 3.6 made 3-pointers per game and is eighth in the country with a 23.5 points per game scoring average.

"Our guys have seen the film and saw how Charleston played North Carolina, Maryland and Clemson,'' Pearl said, referring to the Cougars' single-digit losses to the Atlantic Coast Conference schools. "Goudelock is a tremendous scorer and as good of a two-guard as we'll see this season.''

UT preseason All-SEC selection Scotty Hopson will assume many of the defensive responsibilities on Goudelock.

"It's human nature to be geeked up to face the best opponents,'' said Hopson, who played shutdown defense against Villanova's talented backcourt in a 78-68 win earlier this season. "We'll just have to make (Goudelock's) catches tougher and contest every shot.

"It's as much of a team effort as me.''

The College of Charleston, coached by Bobby Cremins, uses numerous ball screens in its offense.

"We struggled tremendously with our ball-screen defense against (UT) Martin,'' Pearl said. "It's something we'll need to do a better job with.''

The Vols defeated the Cougars 86-69 last season, but Pearl remembers the final score being somewhat deceptive.

"It was a fairly close game until they ran out of gas at the end,'' Pearl said. "This is another opponent that's going to be in the NCAA tournament.

"It's a very senior-laden team and a 'this is their year' kind of thing.''

About The Cougars: Three of the College of Charleston's four losses this season have come to ACC teams: Maryland (75-74), North Carolina (74-69) and Clemson (66-59). The Cougars' other loss was to Rhode Island (75-66).

The College of Charleston is ranked No. 15 in the Collegeinsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll, one spot ahead of the Virginia Commonwealth, which the Vols defeated 77-72 in the NIT Season Tip-Off tournament Nov. 24 in New York.

Greenville's Antwaine Wiggins starts on the wing for the College of Charleston and is averaging 6.3 points, 5.6 rebounds and 29 minutes per game.

Wiggins missed last season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during September workouts.

Wiggins led the Green Devils to a 32-3 record his senior year at Greenville High School (2007) and was a finalist for Tennessee's Class 3A Mr. Basketball award.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dwa7#337691 writes:

early [predict:

UT 78
C C 70 (I hope)

SummittsCourt writes:

If the Vols play like they have been recently they could be in real trouble. C of C is a good, fundamental team that isn't afraid to come into UT's court and play.

cwbytruckers writes:

Its Steven Pearls fault if we lose....OK I said it..Now everyone else lay off this kid if it doesnt go the way you think it should. Steven Pearl plays better defense than most of our team. If we can make some shots then we should be ok. GO BIG ORANGE. Kick some butt.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I think everone's on a football site or on there way home from the game. Great game with a lousy ending...like LSU!!! the refs did there job right I think but I want to do away with tv reviews. It's not only adding too much time to the game but also takes away the excitement. Rarely have they changed the call...I suppose 'cause I don't know any stats on that. It doesn't seem right to tell a team they've won and then take it away!? Oh well we should have made that extra point and to let them beat us on that last pass was...
Well with a few more good players we'll be a decent club next year.

huntined#565710 writes:

Just don't let it come down to the last 4 seconds!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Oh yeh? go vols beat Charleston!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to cwbytruckers:

Didn't you hear...SP missed the extra point at the Music City Bowl!

brod writes:

steven pearl is the reason gas is $3 a gallon. skyler mcbee is responsible for the crisis in haiti.

VOLDoll writes:

Well the good news is that we only have to watch Pearls horrific coaching for two more games. I'm positive these kids will play much better with his non coaching arse nowhere near the bench! Go Vols! Go Pearl please, anywhere but Knoxville!

wmainhotrods writes:

I hate to say it but I think we are in for a butt whipping.I hope I am wrong.Maybe the darn football game has got me all depressed.

VOLDoll writes:

Do we really have to watch this clown cry again on TV?
He says I panicked. Sounds like his end of the game play calling. lol!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to wmainhotrods:

That was our best and worst game all year. Best because we made it to a bowl and did well (at least mostly considering our youth). Worst of course because of the way we lost.
Also we may lose to Charlotte, a very good team...but I don't expect us to. We DO play to the level of competition so far this year. I'd love for us to win this one going away...like I hoped against UTM. We'd better bring our defense this time.

eduardo writes:

what the heck is this bunch problem????????????

SummittsCourt writes:

I hate to say this, but I new this was coming. Bruce Pearl should just step down after the Memphis game. This team doesn't care! Lucky to beat Belmont and UT-Martin and now getting blown out at home against another less talented team.

cwbytruckers writes:

So far this game isnt going well. Im quickly becoming a hater of Bruce Pearl. This rotation has got to be cut. Here we finally start getting some rhythm and what does he do. SUB...And yes his son is one of them.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

How about this theory:

Bruce knows he is gone. He is purposely keeping the fan base on his case so that when he is fired, we won't be miserable about it. Otherwise, why play with a 12 man rotation when every other team in America plays with 7 or 8? Brian is playing like he is high all the time now.

VOLDoll writes:

That is the best coaching move Pearl has made this year. Hell yes! Now we have a shot.
Come on Tony show us that you can be the coach that we dont have.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

How about this theory:

Wish it was a theory, but truth is Bruce Pearl is a horrible coach.

eduardo writes:

man oh man the hits just keep coming!!

schymtz writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Youn called it. It may be something of a convenient distraction for the basketball team that many of us are still in a funk over the football meltdown. (Everybody in Orange knows in our heart that UT football REALLY had an 8-5 season.) What a meltdown against College of Charleston! I don’t know what’s wrong with this team , but it’s obvious these are a different collection of players with a different [scatter-brained] mindset that the team that went to New Your and Pittsburg. Something off-court is being played out on the court and it’s Ugly. Take nothing away from C of C, they ate our lunch!

wmainhotrods writes:

in response to wmainhotrods:

like I said earlier.We got schooled.

SummittsCourt writes:

Very bad weekend for the Vols. At least we have Pat Summitt!

I think Pearl has coached his next to last game. My guess is he will wait until after he Memphis game, before his suspension starts and announce his resignation.

This is a bad basketball team with no heart and little talent. Even Steven Pearl seems to be playing half hearted right now. Sad way to end this year, lets hope 2011 is better.

thevoice writes:

in response to schymtz:

Looks like the probable sanctions are wearing on them. This team is lost. No leadership on the court, no mentoring off it. Getting to be a tangled web. Hope we pull out soon!

schymtz writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Very bad weekend for the Vols. At least we have Pat Summitt!

You must know somthing I haven't heard about Pearl. Predictions are growing more and more drastic. Maybe so, but it don't make me feel any better.

Ironcity writes:

I don't think this team is very good. When you start to analyze each player on this team, they each have major short comings both offensively and defensively.

If we are going to put such a tall lineup out there then our tall guards better start posing up the shorter defenders. Right now Tatum and Hopson are just getting abused on the defensive end. I have no idea how we beat Pitt and Villanova.

Coach has a lot of work to do.

whatever36 writes:

College of Charleston has been a good team for years and have upset many teams. Crimmens is a great coach and was a legend at Ga.Tech. They certainly should not have overlooked them. Must be psychological. They are really pitiful. No BB IQ. No heart.

wildcatbasketball writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

Now that is funny....I don't care who you are.....