Dooley wants Vols to feel bowl loss for months

KNOXVILLE — Even though Tennessee has been through so much turmoil and turnover in the past three seasons, coach Derek Dooley still wants the loss in the Music City Bowl to resonate with the Volunteers throughout their offseason.

"Every time that they want to lay in bed and not work in the offseason, they better think about how they feel, so I hope that they bottle this feeling up," Dooley said. "I hope that they bottled that feeling up after Baton Rouge, and I hope that they bottled that feeling up after a whole bunch of other losses that we had. I know I will."

The bowl game against North Carolina was supposed to be the Vols' reward for fighting through the adversity from having three different coaching staffs in as many years and was going to set the tone for the team's growth in the coming seasons.

Instead, the Tar Heels won 30-27 in the second overtime after a crazy end to regulation that almost sent the Vols home with the win. It was the second time this season Tennessee found itself on the losing end of a dramatic game.

Time had appeared to run out in regulation with the Vols up by three points as North Carolina's T.J. Yates spiked the ball. After first saying the game was over, the Big Ten officiating reviewed the play and ruled that there was 1 second left on the clock, but that the Tar Heels had too many men on the field — and penalized North Carolina 5 yards.

Casey Barth kicked a 39-yard field goal to send the game to overtime and hit a 23-yard field goal in the second overtime to win after Quan Sturdivant picked off Tyler Bray to end the Vols' chances.

"It makes it tougher this time because it is the last game of my career," senior wide receiver Gerald Jones said. "I wanted to go out with a win and so did a lot of the other seniors. The young guys wanted to cap the season off for us. We were looking forward to ending this season on a high note, but unfortunately that didn't happen."

Dooley has credited the senior class for buying into his staff's coaching methods and holding together a team that went 2-6 in the first two months of the season, including 0-4 in October, and faced the likes of No. 2 Oregon, No. 11 LSU, No. 15 Alabama and No. 19 South Carolina this year.

The Vols (6-7) had already endured a heartbreaking loss before the Music City Bowl — their setback against LSU in Baton Rouge on Oct. 2. Tennessee had too many defenders on the field, giving the Tigers another chance to pull out a 16-14 win.

Dooley knew after a winless October, the team could have easily given up on the season. Instead it put together a four-game winning streak with victories over Memphis, Mississippi, Vanderbilt and Kentucky to earn their bowl bid.

"I hurt for that whole football team," the first-year coach said. "There (were) a bunch of guys in there crying, but I told them I was proud of them. This team has been fighting like heck since November, and they put up a heck of a fight against a good football team tonight."

Aside from the small group of senior leaders, Tennessee's roster was composed mostly of young players this season. Defections that followed to the firing of Phillip Fulmer at the end of the 2008 season and the abrupt departure of Lane Kiffin for Southern California in January and injuries throughout the season left the roster especially thin.

The Vols played 16 true freshmen this season and got significant contributions from several like Bray, wide receivers Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers and offensive linemen James Stone, Ja'Wuan James and Zach Fulton.

Their improvement during the season helped spark the four-game winning streak, and they now have the opportunity to get even better in their first full offseason at Tennessee. To do that they need to question how they could have made the Music City Bowl turn out differently, Dooley said.

"There were a lot of opportunities to win the game before the end there," he said. "Any time the result doesn't go your way, the first thing you should do is say, 'What could we have done differently to change the outcome?'"

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

BrassMonkey writes:

Doolittle needs to feel it himself. That was a horrible display of coaching in the last 5 minutes of 4th quarter and overtime. 6-7? nice season, I guess. Funny how we turn the program upside down in the name of mediocrity only to fully accept it 2 years later.

Saban_Palin writes:

You need to do something about the tuanting problem coach. Pretzel Boy will get snapped if you don't teach him what the word 'class' means.

Saban_Palin writes:

Also, PLEASE quit talking about a 4-game win streak over Memphis + the 3 other weakest teams in the SEC. Win with class, lose (lots of practice this season) with class. Get rid of 'Loco' and the effeminate "whoo" during Rocky Top and that would be two major improvements in Tennessee football.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

Tyler did nothing wrong,a fine example of being excited.....Keep up the good work Tyler Orange Nation has your back aint nobody going to snap ya dont listen to those bammer folks they cant even win when spotted 24

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

Winning Team and Final Score
ARTICLE 3. a. The teams shall be awarded points for scoring according to
rule and, unless the game is forfeited, the team having the larger score at the
end of the game, including extra periods, shall be the win...ning team.
b. The game is ended and the score is final when the referee so declares.

Ref declared the game over UT wins reguardless

OrangeBlur writes:

The bottom line is the coaching staff lost this game.

The kids deserved to win this one.

Another tough loss.

God bless you Nick Reveiz.

TKO writes:

Coach doesn't kick extra points. Dooley and his staff did just fine. I do have to admit, I thought the ref's call ( game over ) was the same as the ref's whistle blowing.
Vols played hard. Huge improvement from the Florida game.

tennezz writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

You are a good to be talking about class pretzel boy!

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

yeah, I'm delirious with that well-stocked larder of offensive and defensive linemen Phil left us...oh, wait, Phil quit recruiting linemen, too much work.

damn I forget those things.

baldingalum writes:

in response to OrangeBlur:

The bottom line is the coaching staff lost this game.

The kids deserved to win this one.

Another tough loss.

God bless you Nick Reveiz.

Coaches don't kick extra points. Coaches don't tackle. Coaches don't run block. BTW - it was coach's son who speared their wideout that setup the tying field goal.

We have to put it behind us Vol Nation! There is a lot of promise for the future. Derek Dooley is very smart and building a solid foundation.

Here are three New Years Resolutions for 2011.

1. As noted above, we have to lose the "woo" in Rocky Top.

2. We have to strategically place "Vol biscuits," attractive women clad in orange in front of national cameras. I saw the guy in the overalls and the Cousin Eddie look 10 times too many.

3. The loco finger winding thing, saluting and anything else that says, "Look at me. My S.A.T. score had three digits," has to go.

Saban_Palin writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

Winning Team and Final Score
ARTICLE 3. a. The teams shall be awarded points for scoring according to
rule and, unless the game is forfeited, the team having the larger score at the
end of the game, including extra periods, shall be the win...ning team.
b. The game is ended and the score is final when the referee so declares.

Ref declared the game over UT wins reguardless

No, you lost the game. Show some class and stop whining. The Big Ten crew did a great job of using instant replay to get the call right. The only bad call that I remember was the late hit on UT that was not called late in the game. This team and coaching staff reaped what it sowed.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Rematch! We want a rematch! Oh, wait, never mind, I guess we had rather play Buffalo.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

The big thing was the Vols could not close the deal. Since there was only 31 seconds left on the clock, the vols should have closed the deal on that. I know they will get better on that in the coming seasons. There will be rule changes next year about this taunting and celebrating thing next year. I personally think mild celebration is not a bad thing, but since the rule will be in place and since there is little anyone can do about this, Dooley better work on this with the players.

mdvol writes:

Amazing how close we were to going 8-5.

Still.....very confident in the future.

Would love to see us add a stud running back and some monster D-tackles.

baldingalum writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

You have arguably the worst post name I've ever seen. Can you see Russia from your trailer?

The late hit wasn't called on LaMarcus Thomspon because he was blocked into the UNC player. This was repeatedly shown on every take. If fact, Thompson got up and showed the official that he was blocked. Looks like you missed it. As did Bob Davie who brilliantly kept calling #42 LaMarcus Thomas.

Saban_Palin writes:

in response to tennezz:

You are a good to be talking about class pretzel boy!

My team's QB was a Rhodes Scholar finalist. When he lead Bama to a 41-10 thrashing in Knoxville, you didn't see any of the classless taunting that we keep seeing out of Pretzel Boy. Maybe you were one of the masses leaving early in the 3rd quarter and didn't see the class displayed by our players, even in a blowout win. Too bad Pretzel Boy didn't take note of how to display class when scoring a TD. We scored bunches that night.

Mtnbiker writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

Your an Idiot, please remove the Palin from your name as she is nothing but Class. I just love the way the Big 10 crew rewarded UNC with the last sec play in regulation. Just isn't Right to reward a team with a last second when they committed a penalty in order to "save" it. NCAA needs to adopt some variation of the NFL rule in this regards.

baldingalum writes:

Hey SabinPalin,

Your Crimson Tide are the most penalized school in the history of NCAA football. Don't ever mention class.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

How many of your qbs are in Congress?
How many have won 4 NFL MVPs?
How many bama players were dealing cocaine out of the parking lot in Tuscaloser?
How insignificant are you inside, that you are on a UT message board?
How many brownouts has Bham had today?
How many more times will bama be on probation during the next 10 years?
How are you not SMU?
GO VOLS

Saban_Palin writes:

in response to Mtnbiker:

You need to adopt some common sense to your comments. The second was put back on the clock not because of the penalty, Einstein. The ref clearly stated that the ball was spiked to the ground with one second left on the clock. Get a woman to explain football to you; it would improve your level of understanding.

kevinc0465 writes:

I have alot to complain about but one thing I keep hearing about is the late hit that wasnt called. I know I am not looking through objective eyes but was I the only one that saw #49 hit Thompson in the back to knock him into their runner on the ground?

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

Take that up with Hamilton.

kevinc0465 writes:

Going into the game I really wanted to win but was willing to be happy with a good, close game. I was wrong about being happy with the final but I still loved the effort we played with.

Saban_Palin writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

How many of your qbs are in Congress?
How many have won 4 NFL MVPs?
How insignificant are you inside, that you are on a UT message board?
How many brownouts has Bham had today?
How many more times will bama be on probation during the next 10 years?
How are you not SMU?
GO VOLS

You are bragging about Heath Shuler, who couldn't read an NFL playbook and just voted for gay rights in the military??? Ha Ha Ha, how desperate you must be to brag. I don't need to dig so deep to brag. My team is the defending national champion. Your team is 6-7. As for probation, you are the ones being investigated in football (ho-gate), basketball (Pearl LOL), and even baseball. Do you have to cheat in baseball???? At least your manly girls are clean on the rules!!!

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

and you have a dog in this fight how???

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

no question over the one second.
question is if/why the too many men (5-yarder) overrode the 12 men participating (15-yarder).

Don't puzzle your puzzler with it, I don't wish to distract you from you wild, vivid display of class and integrity.

Saban_Palin writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

and you have a dog in this fight how???

I have a dog in this fight because I care about the image of the greatest conference in sports. Auburn has tarnished the league's image enough this season. We don't need qb's on 6-7 teams taunting teams with his effeminate 'loco' phooey.

Saban_Palin writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

no question over the one second.

it was correctly called a 5-yarder. the guys were running on and off the field, not participating.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

incorrect; they had 12-13 guy lined up for the snap.

the holder and the kicker are behind the qb.
you are busing our balls, and you don't get all the facts.

terribly classy.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

the SEC has the worst reputation in college sports. I'm a fan because I grew up there. Key phrase being 'grew up'.

I'm loyal to my heritage, but not naive to the real world of SEC sports.

BamaVol writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

@ssbrass, go back and crawl in the hole you came out of. You need to worry about next year when the VOLS are on top.

JBruce writes:

It was a poor effort from a team that wasn't very good. This football team (coaches and players) has no one to blame but themselves. Many times thru the game, North Carolina handed Tennessee the game on a silver platter. Tennessee just said no thanks and handed it right back. Tennessee needs better coaching, better players and better discipline if they are going to step out of mediocrity.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Pretty funny post. Wonder what your posts would be if the game had gone the other way??

I'm still pondering the delights for folks who get off on taunting others on chat boards.

Is this sort of therapy for an emasculated status in the world?? If so, I am truly sorry to question you about it.

footbalnut writes:

I'm a UK fan in Channing Fugate's home county. I was pulling for an SEC win and it looked in the cards until some dumb things happened. I'm used to seeing dumb things happen with UK's unforced fumbles on the UT goal line three of the last five years when the funbles made the difference, or probably did. Even with the UT mistakes, I've got to think the future looks bright for the orange with all those freshmen moving up. I wish I could say the same for the CATs. Rich Brooks did not leave the cupboard bare on talent, but I just wish the future looked as bright as I believe UT's is.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to JBruce:

Poor effort...you ever play ball?? We are playing defensive ends at defensive tackles, pudgy fat kids at o-line, and converted WR's (plus a walk-on LB), and you want to b***ch about 'effort'??

Those boys aren't great, but they put in the effort.

If you are a fan, we definitely need better fans.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to footbalnut:

I've never understood why UK football isn't better...but to be blunt, UK should have been in the ACC all along. It's a bball-first school, has good academics, and just 'fits' their profile.

Vandy is the same: they should be a Big 1o school, very similar to Northwestern.

Then again, Texas and Mizzou should be SEC schools

lawvol writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

You both are complete idiots. Read the response above regarding Thompson being blocked/shoved into the downed player. Oh wait, you two jackwagons don't like to bother yourself with the facts.

DarthWilson writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

ha ha ha, I laugh at you. your pathetic. I am just sorry so many posters bought into your troll fueled comments.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to lawvol:

seems like the same dude. either a kns lackey or someone with a rather odd need for attention.

givehim6 writes:

Don't mean to change the subject but the QB that was coming to UT but ended up at Clemson, T Boyed does not look that great. I'm watching the bowl betten SF & Clemson did not he read shirt? So after a read shirt year and playing back up year. Think we got the beter QB with Bray.

kevinc0465 writes:

in response to givehim6:

I was thinking the same thing but I am watching our b-ball team. Not looking too good right now but u never know with this team

DennisVols writes:

And now for a lucid post that will not contain anger, or disappointment as the driving factor or denial of what the true facts really are.
This year in retrospective has had a few highs, several lows and a lot of development that will benefit UT in the future. The facts: 3 coaches in less than 3 years, missing 17 scholarship players from the roster due to the latter, many key injuries along the DL and the OL, which by the way was already thin, a new playbook on offense and defense(the 4th offensive OC and 3rd defensive DC for the seniors). You look at all that and many thought UT was heading into it 2nd losing season in 3 years, 3rd in 6 years.
Football, like most sports, is a team sport. In order for any team to be successful many things need to be in place. Stability in your coaching staff is tops on that list. Every year for the past 3 UT started spring practice from scratch with everything being new, take away the 17 missing scholarship players (most of which would have been senior leaders) and any team will struggle. All this BS about getting rid of Dooley or any member of this coaching staff will only work to further delay any chance UT has of returning to the top of the conference.
Yes a lot of mistakes were made, they were made by a lot of 1st and 2nd year players who also have not had the same coach with the same plays or the same techniques either. Had the game ended (when it should) everyone would be hailing Wilcox whose defense held NC scoreless in the 2nd half. A defense by the way that is undersized along the line with 250 lb DE’s playing where 300 DL’s should be.
Where do you begin on offense? Three freshmen starting along the line one that was seldom the same week to week with injuries and development as the season progressed. A freshman QB down the stretch that had to throw more times than he should have because the running game didn’t develop as well with all the freshmen. 16 freshen have started games this year which is more than I can remember in any year.
In 2008 when things began to fall apart for CPF he could not pull this team together. They were not missing the seniors this team was and the coaching staff other than OC had been in place for years. They managed only 5 wins and lost to Wyoming on homecoming. So look at the big picture of just what Dooley and his staff managed to do. At 2-6 most didn’t even believe UT would be bowl eligible this year. Looking at all the obstacles facing this team before the year began not many thought it was possible even before the season started.
There a lot of things still to be concerned about and a lot to be excited about. If you choose to quit being a fan then go quietly, the million+ of us that remain will not miss you. It took 10 years to get to this year it all cannot be corrected in 1. I for one am looking forward to..
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

kevinc0465 writes:

I know this is our UT post but did u hear that Charlie Weiss is going to be the O.C. at Florida

FWBVol writes:

People that are bashing CDD and his staff for this game and this season obviously know as much about football as I do thermal dynamics.

I don't know of any coach in the nation that could have done as well or better than CDD the Vol coaches did this year.

We rode a true freshman quarterback and three freshman offensive linemen to a bowl game. The guy that started the season at center, Cody Pope, seems to have suffered the worst stinger in the history of college football because he hasn't been heard from since the Oregon game. We then go to a JUCO transfer center, who arrived on campus during the summer and end up starting a true freshman at center the last half of the season.

So not only has Tennessee had three head coaches, staffs...in three seasons, we had three centers in one year, which would make things tough for the most veteran of teams. But wait, we are one of the three youngest teams in the country, if you go by the number of true freshmen, 16, that played this year. Add to that number the redshirt freshmen that played and more than 20 kids contributing on a regular basis were playing college football for the first time.

Think about it, there were times we had a true freshmen backfield with Neal at tailback, Fugate at fullback and Bray at QB. Those guys were lined up behind the freshmen heavy offensive line. And let's not forget that it wasn't uncommon to see a pair of true freshmen at receiver.

We lost two players that would have been big-time contributors at defensive end in consecutive day during the preseason, and as others have posted, were forced to move defensive ends to defensive tackles. One of the DTs was a freshman walkon that was on the offensive line until things got desparate up front.

Last year Texas played for in the national championship game and this year the Longhorns finished 5-7. Most people would agree that Mack Brown is a decent head coach. And let's look at Florida. Yeah, the Gators beat us, but they were a team that also was expected to compete for the national championship, and the mighty Gators went 7-5.

I could go on with other examples, but most of you get the point.

As far as recruiting goes, I trust CDD. Maybe UT doesn't rank up there in the Top 10 recruiting classes by Rivals, but I don't put much stock in recruiting services that can't even put Justin Worley, the Gatorade National Player of the Year, in their top 250 prospects.

Derek Dooley knows that his job will ultimately be judged on how well his team performs on the field and he will bring in the guys that will help him win so he can stay at Tennessee for many years to come.

kevinc0465 writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

I have a friend from Detroit that was making fun of me for cheering for UT. He told me we sucked so I told him I dont care if we are 0-13 or 13-0 I am still going to be cheering just as hard for my vols. I was very impressed by the way we finished this year. I am excited about the future and cant wait to see these young players get better

BigOrangeSlim writes:

in response to Saban_Palin:

You know your the reason I hate some of the other teams in the SEC. Why don't you and Sarah go up to Alaska and post on Bama's site and leave this to the intelligent people. Several chances to win however North Carolina got all the breaks. Go to your teams site and leave us alone on the hill cause times will change I promise you that your team will fall on hard times one of these days! Oh I forgot you have what you folks think is God coaching for you! Hope he don't find more money somewhere else.

volsoutwest writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

Good post, I must add we have a left-handed freshman playing center who hasn't even learned proper technique.

thevoice writes:

Sure hope it resonates with the coaching staff too!!! Time to step up like a man and admit the coach(es) need to do a better job of coaching these players. And try re-scheming your play selection. That last "dive" in regulation comes to mind. If you had 20- or 30-some odd yards rushing up to that point, why would you think 3 rushes up the middle in a goal line formation would get you a first down? And did you know all you had to do was to get a first down to win the game? Looks like someone needs to retake some math classes too. Haven't even mentioned the disciplining issues. We have the SAME type of kids everyone has on their team, aside from physical skills. Those teams seem to now how to teach no personal fouls. Why not us?

orangecountyvols writes:

Dennis and Kevin,

Well said. Vols, don't get caught up in sparring with the trolls. Booze sippers like Merlot just crawl in here giddy with delight whenever Tennessee
stumbles in a game.

The Vol elite site was formed to take a much deserved breath of fresh air from trolls like this one and the others who are all-too familiar. Maybe that's what some of these guys want...........a site all to themselves to toss anti-Vol comments around to their warped entertainment.

Vols...........we're proud of you. Proud of the seniors, the staff, and all the loyal fans.....the real Tennessee Vols.

Happy New Year !

rockytopatl writes:

I can't believe Dooley uttered the dreaded "fight like heck" phrase. That one doesn't resonate too well in Big Orange Country.