Dooley says Wilcox 'right person' for Vols

'Great opportunity' to leave Boise State

Dooley comments on hiring Wilcox for DC position

Wilcox

Photo by UTSports.com

Wilcox

Derek Dooley didn't look for the most impressive resume.

The new Tennessee coach saw more than enough of Justin Wilcox in person to be sold on his ability, and what he didn't witness live he certainly watched on film.

Dooley could have hired a defensive coordinator with more experience or somebody with a more recognizable name in the UT locker room, but that likely would have ruled out one of the hottest young coaches in the game. And the Vols might not have had as much to feel good about after bringing Wilcox in Wednesday to take over the defense and give them a nearly complete staff almost three weeks after Dooley took over.

"There's a thousand coaches that wanted that job," Dooley said. "Finding the right person who was going to fit was more important to me than some resume hire. I told the players that - 'Look, I could go hire a guy right now who's got 15, 20 years of coordinator experience in the NFL, but that's not really fair to you as a player.'

"What's important to me is that I get the right coach that fits on this staff, that's going to support you the way I want to support you, and that's why I took my time on it. I wanted to be very diligent, because I wasn't going to rush into a hire and then regret it two weeks later because we were worried about this year's recruiting class."

The class turned out just fine on National Signing Day without him, but the signature from Wilcox could have been the most important UT received on Wednesday.

The Broncos might be better known for their entertaining offense than a hard-hitting, physical defense. But with Wilcox leading the latter over the last four seasons, Boise State went 49-4 and last season ranked third nationally in total scoring - including impressive performances against Oregon and then TCU in the Fiesta Bowl.

The Idaho Statesman newspaper reported that Wilcox is expected to receive a three-year contract worth about $650,000 per year - tripling the $215,000 he was making with the Broncos.

His hiring also only leaves one vacancy on the UT staff, though Chuck Smith is the likely favorite to take over the line on a Wilcox-led defense.

"It's an unbelievable opportunity," Wilcox said in a statement released by UT. "I'm really humbled to be considered and for Coach Dooley to offer me the job. Boise State is an incredible place and I really wasn't looking to leave there. All this happened pretty fast.

"But after talking with Coach Dooley and a couple of the other coaches, and getting a feel for the way he wants to model the program and a lot of the philosophies he has, I just felt like it was a great opportunity at an unbelievable place in terms of the tradition. I think it's just one of those things that was too good to pass up, and I'm excited to be here."

If his somewhat surprising candidacy didn't immediately produce much excitement outside of the program, that hardly seemed to matter to Dooley.

During his three seasons at Louisiana Tech, Dooley became plenty familiar with Wilcox and what he was doing at Boise State as it ran over the Western Athletic Conference. And though that in itself didn't win him the job, it certainly helped him stand out among a pool of candidates who all had some ties to the SEC.

"I've got to say, I played against him for three years, and I watched his teams play, his defenses play for three years," Dooley said. "I've watched every game he's ever coached, and the best resume for a coach is the film. There's no better resume. You can get a piece of paper, you can get 28 coaches calling to recommend him, you can get players calling to recommend them, but when you just watch the film and watch how the players play and the effort, the toughness, the discipline, the multiple schematic issues, it was good.

"I always was impressed with him, but what really impressed me with Justin was the three hours I spent eyeball-to-eyeball with him. He believes in the same things I believe. He's got a great personality. He's very humble. He wants to grow professionally. So, I'm happy to have him. I'm thrilled, like I am with all my coaches."

Now there's only one more left for Dooley to hire.

Four Downs: Dooley didn't give anything away about the last assistant left to hire. But he did clear up the system UT's next defensive line coach will be helping operate.

"I think it's still too early to talk about scheme," Dooley said. "But we're going to base out of a (four-down front)."

There had been questions based on other rumored coordinators and the available personnel on the UT roster about a possible move to a 3-4 attack, but Dooley put those to rest on Wednesday. He didn't confirm or deny any whispers about longtime friend Chuck Smith taking over the defensive front though, despite the fact Smith has long been assumed to be the likely choice.

"I don't have a timeframe," Dooley said. "We'll see. I know Chuck, Chuck's a great coach, great person, great player. We'll see where all that takes us."

JUSTIN WILCOX

Age: 33.

Position: Defensive coordinator.

Experience: California linebackers coach (2003-05); Boise State defensive coordinator (2006-09).

Notable: While working with the Broncos over the last four seasons, the team went 49-4 and Wilcox capped his stint there by shutting down high-powered TCU in a victory at the Fiesta Bowl. Boise State ranked third in the nation in points allowed while rolling to a perfect 14-0 record last season.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

nocleats writes:

Welcome coach !! Get in the film room then attack attack attack!!!!!!!

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

WTF was he supposed to say? That he took whomever would come?

deputy658 writes:

The more I hear and see CDD , the more impressed I am. The VOLS have found a gem in CDD. ROCKY TOP is going to be just fine. GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txsvol#372416 writes:

I don't see any reason not to take CDD at his word. He coached in the WAC for three years, which includes Boise State, and he lost three times to Wilcox' defense, by scores of 45-31, 38-3, and 45-35. I am sure that he studied film of Boise State's defense all three years. I had Chris Peterson on my short list of potential head coaches for us, so, when CDD got the DC from that very winning program, I am pleased. Go Vols! SAVol

MothershipChip writes:

Watch the video of the press conference, Coach Dooley is priceless.

tn_rockytop writes:

Good job Dooley i think we are on our way to the top again and chuck smith is coming to. welcome to the vols Wilcox

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

WTF was he supposed to say? That he took whomever would come?

You are going to be surprised. I know that you guys who think only a full NFL Staff was the way to go are not thrilled about the name recognition of this staff. But, you need to get over it. These guys can coach and over the next 3 or 4 years will build a very solid program. Wilcox coaches with his brain and not by virtue of having the most talented players.

txsvol#372416 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Funny you said that about the hooker. True story: I was treating a woman with venereal disease three weeks ago, and when I went back to the chart preparation area, the streaming story on ESPN was that CLK had left us for SC, and that was my EXACT thought. Good riddance, but the herpetic lesions that he left on our program may still cause painful eruptions from time to time! SAVol

Joe_Vols writes:

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this post, but here goes. Today I am just proud to be a Vol. I haven't felt proud to be a Vol since THE YEAR before Fulmer left. I bleed orange, but I mean really proud deep down inside. It feels really good to wear orange and white again. The pride and dignity we had all grown accustomed to is back in the UT family. I bet UT clothing sales skyrocket after today! There's something about being successful with a touch of class you know.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to Joe_Vols:

Why I oughta!lol Just kidding Joe, good to have you back to feelin that pride again. I feel the same way, CDD brings a certain tangible and sense of professionalism back to the Vols. I for one am glad to have him on our side:) Go Vols!!!

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to Joe_Vols:

No bash here good post!! I feel the same way. I sold myself short with the last guy, feels good to be back on this side now!!! I was thinking the other day about all the great class players UT has had over the last several years(manning,wilson,white,henderson, and so on) and do you think any of those guys would of played for last guy?? I don't think so, but I think all would for DD. Anyway beating dead horse. GBO

FWBVol writes:

I saw the nameless one do an interview from Los Angeles on ESPNU after it was announced that the big O-lineman Henderson had signed with SC. Nameless said he couldn't comment on the kid because they had yet to receive the LOI fax. He didn't seem to mind getting UT in hot water all the time.

The thing is, for someone that is supposed to be at their dream job, he didn't look very happy and he had that same blank look on his face and didn't make much eye contact with the reporter.

A few minutes before I had watched the Derek Dooley press conference. He was smiling, joking with the media and seemed to be genuinely excited about being our coach. The values and qualities he said he is looking for in players and coaches are the ones I hope I embrace in my own life. And, if I had a son, are the values and qualities I would want the coach he played for to embrace.

I believe Derek Dooley is the right man for the job and will do whatever it takes, in the right way, to win at Tenneseee.

Maybe the best answer CDD gave during the press conference was to a question if he found it as hard to sell the Tennessee product as the last guy. His answer was basically that Tennessee sells itself with the great tradition, facilities, academics and fan base, and that the only thing he had to do was explain to recruits what his vision was for the program.

I think DD embraces our great university with the same passion as those of us who attended UT have. It's not just about the football, which we all love, but about the great institution that is the University of Tennessee academically, athletically and socially.

Gchild writes:

i've got no problem with this hire, but i was kinda looking forward to a switch to the 3-4.

IBleedOrange71 writes:

in response to Joe_Vols:

Ok, I'll bash you!!! I feel the same way! I have a good feeling about our future here in Big Orange Country! Southern by birth! Volfan by the grace of God!

IBleedOrange71 writes:

I just hope that CJW will try to get us an orange field! Seriously, what a competitive advantage. I lived in Boise and went to quite a few games and it was really hard for the opposing team to re-focus on the players after the ball was snapped. The db's would have to find the reciever after he checked the qb's eyes, instead of seeing him out of the corner, the qb's would see nothing but a blurr from the Bronco defense. With the teams we bring to our house, we need to take advantage of everything! I would love to be 52-2 at home! I know I'm dreaming, but why not embrace change???

OTPVol writes:

in response to IBleedOrange71:

No. We embraced it with the Former Untrustworthy Coach Kiffin (like that acronym?) and I for one want a team that can go toe to toe with any and every team in the nation without using gimmicks, tricks, optical illusions, rap songs, shirt ripping, or anything other than athleticism and smash mouth football. I am sick of bells, whistles, clowns, dogs, and ponies.

IBleedOrange71 writes:

in response to OTPVol:

I do like the acronym! Now don't get me wrong, I love good ole smash mouth football too, but didn't General Neyland bring us black cletes and our orange and white checkerboard end zones?

txvolsfan writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

WTF was he supposed to say? That he took whomever would come?

This guy is special and will probably getting HC offers in the next 3 years. I would take this guy over anyone I could think of outside of Bob Stoops and I don't think he would take a DC job right now. This is the ONLY person CDD offered the job to and it was the right person.
I'm very excited, I would take him over Monte anyday and I'm still a huge Monte fan.
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

txvolsfan writes:

in response to txsvol#372416:

Now that's funny Doc. How are things in San Antonio? It looks like the Spurs are still trying to come together but the Rodeo always determines that.
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN NOW IN FLORIDA

txvolsfan writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Did you catch the CBS interview with CDD and also Fulmer one of the interviewers. CDD genuinely embraces our traditions and was very complementary of CPF. It was really a great interview and CPF talked like a fan and ask him about the D-line and CDD said that next year he would be really trying to stock up on the line. The interview is on UTSPORTS.COM.

LongtimeVol writes:

in response to IBleedOrange71:

Don't know about the black cleats, but the checkerboard endzones were introduced by Doug Dickey in 1964.

IBleedOrange71 writes:

in response to LongtimeVol:

Thanks for helping me remember and the spelling! After a diabetic coma, I just don't remember things like I used to...Seriously! I think the important thing about CJW, is that he will be unpredictable with his schemes and can make the game time decisions to adjust quickly.

hueypilot writes:

It is truly great, again, to be, once again, a Tennessee Vol.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to IBleedOrange71:

For those important fans in the stands orange would be great but for those of us that are TV fans orange would be blinding.

Maverickman writes:

WELCOME SIR, LET US SANG !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFwgzO...

TxFatBoy writes:

in response to OTPVol:

Agreed! There are no shortcuts to moving a program back into the top of college football. It will take great talent evaluation, great recruiting, great preparation, great coaching, and great execution. No smoke and mirrors please.

mdvol writes:

I think Dooley hired Wilcox because he was the only DC that was actually YOUNGER than Dooley. That way Dooley would feel more comfortable managing him.

So bring in Wilcox, the choice over "a thousand other candidates", who has no familiarity with the SEC, no recruiting ties in the south, and a DC resume on a team that averages about 40 points a game. Is that the "right fit" Dooley speaks of?

And, sure, an NFL coordinator with 15-20 years experience "wouldn't be fair to the players". Huh???

Wilcox might be the right fit for CDD, but for UT he's not exactly a "fit".

I never realized UT had become a school for on-the-job training.

chestnutglade writes:

I LIKE THIS MOVE!

IBleedOrange71 writes:

in response to mdvol:

Wilcox might be the right fit for CDD, but for UT he's not exactly a "fit".

I never realized UT had become a school for on-the-job training.

Dooley Noted!

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to Joe_Vols:

i won't bash you, joe.

it appears that CDD is the guy who actually plans to build the long term program that the former punk promised.

it is truly great to be a tennessee volunteer.

VOLume27 writes:

in response to mdvol:

Wilcox might be the right fit for CDD, but for UT he's not exactly a "fit".

I never realized UT had become a school for on-the-job training.

Is that you, Dr. Leroy Collins?

finn writes:

Sounds like UT just hired Coach Dooley 2.0 with Wilcox and that is not a bad thing at all. Wilcox appears to be a humble guy that has his head on straight. He is coming from a well-run and incredibly successful program. I think he's going to do just fine here at UT.

richvol writes:

I have admired the Boise State program for several years as they have managed to win big with a program that is located in Idaho,on a ridiculous blue field,in mostly freezing weather and never gets any bigtime recruits. The coaching staff there does a remarkable job taking 2 and 3 star recruits and beating elite programs like Oklahoma.

I would be thrilled to have any coach from that program and am especially excited to get Wilcox. A young coach that wants to prove himself on the big stage after having excelled at Boise for 4 years is perfect.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to mdvol:

Wilcox might be the right fit for CDD, but for UT he's not exactly a "fit".

I never realized UT had become a school for on-the-job training.

And I never realized this board became a venue to display ignorance. The guy has clearly been able to do more with less talent… you’re either blind or retarded if you can’t see that.

vol88 writes:

Welcome coach! We have a whole case of Depends for you...no wait...that was last year's post. Correction: Welcome Coach WILCOX!!!

Gumby#1381110 writes:

This coach is like a Muschamp, young, hungry, and a winner! He will be a HC one day! Great hire!

Highlands_Whisky writes:

I said it's great

to be

a TENNESSEE VOL!

Vol_Doc writes:

"You have already seen where hiring mercenaries takes you. That was like buying a hooker. Feels good now, but tomorrow I have a strange rash and my wallet is a bit lighter."

That, my friend, was an awesome analogy.

Brentwoodboy3 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

I love the analogy. Exactly. Love Dooley so far.(we haven't played yet!) if he will burn the black jerseys he'll be my hero!

tn_rockytop writes:

go vols

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

WTF was he supposed to say? That he took whomever would come?

He said what every coach says after a hire. But I will say this - he seems to be hiring people he is familiar with, both personally and/or professionally. They are mostly younger, innovative, high-energy guys. Neither Fulmer nor Kiffin did that and UT fans grew tired of both the previous regimes, one much quicker than the other. I think he's got it right. He's got one shot at the big time or he faces a lot of years working his way back if this experiment fails. He's decided to go all in. He's got a bunch of young all-in guys with him and he's attempting two things: changing the face of UT football on the field, and restoring the face of UT football off the field. I like both ideas. As a UT fan, if in fact you are, you should too. Go Vols!!!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

We can fix your rash, but the wallet issue.....

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

Me too, Duke, me too. He seems more impressive every day but is he the real deal or are we making him so because we want it so very badly to be true? I hope it's the former. At this point, it seems more likely than the latter but time will tell. Go Vols!!!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

Our new DC held Oregon to only 8 points with 2* and 3* kids and walk ons and oregon won the PAC 10 and then he totally revamped the "D" before the bowl game and totally confused 1 of the best "O" teams in the country.

Our DC is a X and O student of the game and he plans each game to the opponent and takes away what they love to do best but he also constantly changes things around to confuse the QB and the OC and his thrills come from shutting down really good "O" teams just like he did to Oregon and TCU.

I too think this is a great hire.

Our Dooley Diesel just keeps on rolling along.

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to mdvol:

Wilcox might be the right fit for CDD, but for UT he's not exactly a "fit".

I never realized UT had become a school for on-the-job training.

Dooley was an offensive player and his leanings have always been to that side of the ball. If he wanted to control somebody, he could have moved Lance Thompson up and leveraged control against the fact he let him stay. He didn't. He has no interest in controlling anything but the sidelines. Remember, he is an attorney - highly educated, organized, and goal oriented. Bringing in a coach to "control" would go against everything he has learned and been taught. Head coaches are CEO's - micromanagers get into trouble and quickly, there's just too much for one person to know and keep up with. As far as training ground, do you consider Boise State training ground in the sense that you used that term? Ask Oklahoma, Oregon, and TCU what they think of them. All coaches, good or bad, start lower and move up. Wilcox is moving up. So that makes him an inept or unworthy candidate? An NFL coach would absolutely have been better? Or a guy from Clemson or North Carolina? I say give him a chance and see what he can do. If he fails, he'll be fired, no big deal. Feelers to other "name" candidates were rebuffed so you go looking for an up-and-comer and give him his chance. If you think about it, a WAC team 4th in scoring defense? That's more impressive than any stat the other candidates could tout. Time will tell but to dismiss him out of hand because he isn't an established big name is just not reasonable. Go Vols!!!

asleep#212036 writes:

And another thing: he stopped Oregon's spread run attack, TCU's option run attack, and the rest of the WAC's passing attacks. The only thing he didn't face regularly was a power running attack between the tackles, which happens to be the easiest to scheme and requires the least talent to defend. I think he'll do just fine in the SEC. Go Vols!!!

Southland writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

WTF was he supposed to say? That he took whomever would come?

your use of the intials to indicate a word used by trashy folks indicates you are a Kiffin devotee

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Does this mean that the Vols will be able to stop the spread?

GO VOLS!!!

Psychovol writes:

Wow! Get the man some DTs and the Orange Crush will rule.

537081 writes:

welcome Coach Wilcox we are glad to have you abord. We will love you for ever. Oh yes one little thing, you better go 9 and 4 or 10 and 3 you first year out of the box with a very beat up but talented bunch of linebackers and not enough defenceive linemen.