Adams: Early SEC look looks the same

John Adams

The juniors have declared their departure for the NFL draft, and recruiting is all done. It's an appropriate time for an early peek at the next SEC football season.

You won't have to look long to conclude that it won't look all that different from the last season. That's a testament to the staying power of Alabama and Florida.

National champion Alabama lost all but three starters from a defense that routinely overwhelmed its opposition. Florida lost five juniors to the NFL.

But both will be favored to meet for the third consecutive time in the SEC championship game.

That tells you something about the consistently top-flight recruiting of Alabama's Nick Saban and Florida's Urban Meyer. It also tells you something about the rest of the conference.

Georgia returns 10 offensive starters and has revamped its defensive coaching staff. It still looks more like a program on the wane than a championship contender.

South Carolina is inching its way upward under Steve Spurrier, but the offense still lags behind the defense.

LSU's Les Miles has come close to matching the recruiting of his predecessor, Saban, but - even after winning a national title just two years ago - his game-day management is drawing more comparisons to another former LSU coach, Curley Hallman.

Arkansas' Bobby Petrino might rank behind only Saban and Meyer among SEC coaches.However, for all the progress he has made in two years on the job, he doesn't have enough defense to win a championship.

Auburn gained ground under first-year head coach Gene Chizik, and Gus Malzahn worked wonders with its offense. But its depth of talent is still lacking.

Tennessee is rebuilding under a first-year coach. Sound familiar?

Ole Miss, which was a consensus top-10 pick last preseason, is headed south. Fast.

It's just hard to envision a championship contender among them, even though the favorites must negotiate more difficult schedules, highlighted by a mid-season Gators-Tide match-up in Tuscaloosa. Florida plays LSU the next week, followed by Mississippi State, a team that has traditionally given it trouble.

Alabama's SEC schedule is even tougher. Its game with Florida is sandwiched between trips to Arkansas and South Carolina.

But the rest of the SEC might tell you that stretch of schedule isn't as daunting as any Saturday against Alabama.

With way too much time between now and the next SEC football game, here's my first take on 2010:

West

Alabama: Never mind all its losses. The Tide has the two best running backs in the SEC (Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson) and three All-SEC-caliber players on defense (Mark Barron, who made all-conference as a sophomore safety; Texas-tormentor Marcell Dareus, who can play end or tackle; and linebacker Dont'a Hightower, who returns from last season's knee injury.)

Arkansas: The Razorbacks have future first-round NFL draft pick Ryan Mallett at quarterback, and plenty of playmakers at wide receiver and running back. But name two of their defensive starters.

LSU: Since winning the national title in 2007, the Tigers have looked better on signing day than game day. Expect more of the same.

Auburn: The Tigers appear headed in the right direction under Chizik, but the defense remains a work in progress, and an adequate replacement must be found for quarterback Chris Todd.

Mississippi State: The starters return in an underrated offensive line that helped the Bulldogs wreck the Rebels in Dan Mullen's first season as head coach. But a tough conference schedule, which includes Georgia and Florida from the East, could kill the Bulldogs' bowl hopes.

Ole Miss: A favorable SEC schedule and the home-field advantage in the regular-season finale against Mississippi State still might not be enough to keep it ahead of its in-state rival.

East

Florida: New quarterback John Brantley won't Tebow anybody on third-and-short, but NFL types won't be ridiculing his deliver, either. Despite all their losses, the Gators should field the best defense in the division.

South Carolina: I felt better about this ranking before watching the Gamecocks embarrass themselves in another bowl game. But they will have the division's most experienced quarterback in Stephen Garcia, an outstanding pass rusher in Cliff Matthews, another solid secondary and hope for a feeble running game with the signing of Marcus Lattimore.

Georgia: Three new defensive coaches at least indicates coach Mark Richt is no longer in denial. But the Bulldogs again will have to break in a new quarterback, and there are more questions than answers on their defense.

Tennessee: Too much schedule and not enough offense will make it difficult for the Vols to match last season's seven victories.

Kentucky: It's arguable whether first-time head coach Joker Phillips can continue what Rich Brooks started, but another soft non-conference schedule could propel the Wildcats to a fifth consecutive bowl game.

Vanderbilt: I'm trying really hard to find the Commodores' first SEC victory since 2008. I'll get back to you in August.

Sports editor John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolunteerPassion writes:

huh, typical JA article... JA, still bitter about your man love Kiffin leaving? Why dont you just go and join him and write for the USC paper?

TommyJack writes:

Sounds reasonably close to me.

vol_chaz writes:

UF, Bama, Oregon all at home, works in our favor.. Just as long as I don't have to listen to rammer jammer yellow hammer from 20k bama fans this year, i'm good.

ConvertedCat writes:

I like it that the SEC continues to ignore KY and the steps we've taken. People forget in the past 3-4 years we've won against LSU, ARK,GA (twice), Auburn last year at Auburn, Clemson, Fl St and Louisville three years in a row. Joker has basically dont the recruiting for the past 3-4 years while Brooks started the transition. In a very average SEC next year I think we could take a step up to 2nd in the East. Not trying to flame or be over confident but I like our returning players a lot... Go CATS...

ps. Glad you now have a coach that appears to be an honest man that respects the traditions of SEC football.

TheOpinion writes:

UT is mentioned twice. And its a total of 3 sentences. Good work.

RJ_Vol writes:

We will have offense. Good running backs. Stephens will do OK at QB. Lot's of speed and power at the skill positions though they are young. It's the D-Line I'm worried about, depth wise. LB is same story. All world kicker is going to help things from the get go. Let's try this, UT will be in the top four or five rushing the ball in the SEC. That will keep us in the games against similarly talented opponents. Still too far behind Bama and UF talent wise to compete. That may be changing though. Our talent on offense is young. We have the best running backs in the East along w/ one of the best receiving groups, Carolina's may be better. We have a great group of safeties. All is not lost. We need depth at OL and DL, and we should compete quickly once that happens. Wildcard is how good of a game coach is Dooley. I think he will be/is an awesome recruiter.

RJ_Vol writes:

BTW, do not underestimate the hire of Boise's DC. That will be huge in coaching our guys to stop the spread. Very wise hire, indeed.

eefor10c writes:

adams, you lament that your beloved Gators must play Bama one week, LSU and then Mississippi State. Then its Bama having to play Arkansas before and South Carolina after they play Florida. For Tennessee, it's "too much schedule". You don't bother to say that the Vols play Oregon and Florida back to back, have UAB and then play LSU and Georgia back to back. Skip a week and then play Bama and South Carolina back to back. You wouldn't want to give the impression that UT's schedule is tougher than the other teams you love so much.

OrangePride writes:

A little early for the gloom and doom article there JA. We know you ordinarily have a somewhat suspect opinion of our VOLS, but we might at least wait til August to ring down the curtain on a successful season. I continue to think the 2010 VOLS are very likely to be better than the odds makers predict. And in case you didn't notice, we BLEED ORANGE ON THIS SITE!

Kevinyaheard writes:

JA is a pair of freakin clown shoes...GO VOLS

JCJ1986 writes:

in response to ConvertedCat:

How can anyone take serious a program that has the nation's longest active losing streak to another team?

99gator writes:

in response to ConvertedCat:

kentucky hasn't beaten tennessee or florida since the 80's.

i wonder why people forget them?

Volfan1 writes:

Excuse me if I missed it, but hasn't the thought of hiring our new DC from Boise give us an advantage in preparing for Oregon? Yes, Oregon went to the Rose Bowl, but they were also beaten by....Boise. Think he'll have us ready? If he can help stop Oregon, can't he help at least slow down the SEC offenses? Me thinks so.

Joevolsxtra writes:

in response to ConvertedCat:

Ok, I'll say it. Because you're just not that good at football.

beartn#223846 writes:

I think the 4th place projection feels right whether Kiffin stayed, or as it happened, Dooley came in. We are replacing 4 OL starters and the QB. That isn't a recipe for success in the SEC. We are also picking up Oregon and LSU. On defense, DT will be the key. We can't afford any injuries there, because we have no depth.

Couchdummy writes:

I am not sliding into depression over this negative article. Would rather take a can-do attitude to a bright new season with high hopes and support for a new, better staff. Call me a kool aid drinker if you like, but I'd rather be hopeful!

TLepage writes:

in response to VolunteerPassion:

Actually, I thought it was a good and insightful article.... Adams is right, UT is rebuilding..... The sooner we as fans become more realistic about our rebuilding process, the easier it will be for our fan base to rally behind our coaches and players.... What do you want Adams to say???? Do you want him to say the UT is the pre season favorite in the SEC East????? If he had done that, you would be ranting about how stupid he is.... Or maybe you think we can win the east next year???? I would like to see it happen, but we have a lot of serious issues in terms of depth that will take us a few years to address..... I'm being realistic here.... Here is a suggestion, read the articles and enjoy them, or go pay money to rivals or scout.... THIS IS A FREE WEBSITE...... Additionally, i pay for both of the above mentioned sites and I thought the KNS did a phenomenal job on signing day.... Time for people to start checking the content of their posts and stop complaining about journalists doing their jobs....

TLepage writes:

in response to Volfan1:

Interesting... I was thinking the same thing!!!! Does anyone know what kind of scheme we are planning on running on D next year?????

GerryOP writes:

A lot of unknowns for our Volls this year. Hope for the best, a little luck, and a few surprises!

209 -- Fear The Dooley...

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to ConvertedCat:

The reason the SEC ignores your program is because your average with an average coaching staff. Had UK went out this year and hired a guy who can recruit and is proven, you might have seen the cats become a true SEC contender. Joker can't recruit and this years class finished 49th which was much worse than last years class. Just because you win a big game here and there don't mean your a solid program. Start doing it consistently and then you can argue.

ric1958 writes:

Tennessee will win more than seven games next season....Stephens wont be quarterback....Simms will be leading the offense. I dont think we will be national championship contenders but will be a tough team to beat. I never thought Monte was that great....the defense in a several games looked like they just were not prepared for the team they were playing. I really think Wilcox will have them better prepared. I think Chaney will be better at running the offense than Kiffin was. So I think the Vols will be suprising alot of people like John Adams that think we wont amount to much. Of course this is just my opinion. GO VOLS!!!!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Not to mention the tuffy in GA STATE Univ...in their FIRST year of football. Bamans should hang their heads over this one. Beyond shameful.

Psychovol writes:

I'm not buying that FL is going to maintain it's lofty status. Nor am I ready to concede that UT won't have enough offense. Since Fulmer's departure I think UT has attracted more playmakers on the offending side of the ball. I believe the east is wide open but Bama does rule the west and will be hard to unseat as SEC champions.

mdvol writes:

Not that anyone here cares about Auburn but I see AU as the surprise team in the SEC. Really won't be a surprise despite JA's 4th place prediction in the west.

Auburn has eight home games. They only play GA and KY from the east. No Florida or UT. They got 5 star RB, Michael Dyer and QB, Cam Newton. Plus a bunch of big lineman I wish UT could have picked up.

I think a 10 win season is likely for Auburn and the west could be decided in the Iron Bowl against Bama.

Not that I give a damn about Auburn.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to TommyJack:

TJ, that's a big early Christmas present for their old coach, Bill Curry, who is starting the program at Georgia State. State needs as many paydays as it can get.

mdvol writes:

I am looking forward to the mother of all spring practices this year. I hope Dooley makes them available to the media.

Not only are there big questions at QB, DB and LB, but can Denarius Moore and Gerald Jones be pushed by these young WR's.

My biggest question is how will the new coaches gel? Thompson and Cheney are holdovers from the old regime. All the other faces are new. The coaching staff has to gel before the team can execute.

No rest for the weary. Meetings should be going on 24/7. Can't wait for the first spring practice on March 18!

in response to ConvertedCat:

No question UK football is better than it was, say, 10 years ago. I think 2d in the SEC-E may be a bit of a stretch, but a good fan SHOULD be optimistic.

VOLume27 writes:

JA probably didn't address UT much because the Vols get covered the other 99% of the time.

This article is like the preseason opening Vegas line on the 2010-11 college season. It's just a base line that sets the stage for everything else. That's cool.

But what if Florida (or, e.g., Bama) doesn't gel? What if the Vols DO gel? What if, for example, South Carolina hires a quarterback coach who can actually UNDERSTAND and TEACH college quarterbacks instead of just getting pissed?

I could see scenarios where every SEC team except Vandy, Ole Miss and MSU has a shot at getting to the SECCG.

I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I say LSU-UF.

Good article, JA. It's what happens next that will always be interesting.

in response to eefor10c:

Most of us know all the terrors of UT's early schedule, but we probably don't know--or care--that much about OTHER teams' schedule potholes. "Too much schedule" pretty much sums up what most of us already suspect for UT.

TommyJack writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

I doubt the Panthers will be feeling much love after this one. Curry getting another brick thru the window is what he gets. Both schools should slap their schedulers.

mtvols writes:

The media picked us 5th in the East last year and we finished 2nd, so that shows you what they know. All of our big games are at home too.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

It's fine to be confident in your team, but in all honesty, the article is pretty much right on the head. I think we will be better than 5th, but I don't expect us to go better than 7-5 and may even be 6-6.

When you don't gain ground in the recruiting war, you can't expect to go nose to nose with Fla. and Alabama. They don't just recruit, their coaches are not sliced liver! They know what to do with what they get, as bad as all us Vol fans hate to admit it.

CroKev writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Hey Bob, I think the Vols will have a better chance of beating UF at the Swamp in 2011 than in K'Town next year. Give Dooley and Wilcox a couple of years. I think both games will be close though and both will be won by special teams.

Titans_Vols777 writes:

in response to vol_chaz:

Heres the deal, If there are ANY "bama" fans talking any phooey inside of Neyland stadium it is you're job as a Tenn fan to ....

1.) Beat said fan till he stops.

2.) sit there and take it like a chump

NO OPPOSING FANS SHOULD BE ABLE TO SIT IN OUR STADIUM AND TALK phooey ABOUT OUR VOLS, OR ANY OF US.

GROW SOME BALLS PEOPLE, AND TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS.

No fans of other teams should ever have a comfortability factor in OUR house.

tnsportsman writes:

IMO our UT offense will be good and the QB situation will be the biggest offensive surprise! Our running game will be very good and WR will make big plays and will have to be respected by other Teams.

The over-all biggest surprise will be a Coach Wilcox Defense. This guy is a proven wild man with the basic 4-3 and adding some 3-4. His defenses play hard, fast, DBs break on the ball and they are hard hitting all the time! He has that 'Gift' of scheming against 'Big Time Offensives'. I played a total of 9 years on defense and defense is HEART first, then talent and speed, I.E. Nick Reveiz say no more!

This coaching staff has already 'Jelled'. Coach Dooley corporately went after this Staff for that reason. Just look at the cross-over they all have. Dooley and Thompson together at LSU; two of Dooley's Coaches hired; history with Dooley and Baggett; Smith all Tennessee, Dooley and Chaney with the same Offense Style and most with NFL connections especially Baggett with WRs and Smith with DTs, WOW!

We have better talent than in recent history and these coaches will Coach the Players Up.

Home Game Advantage on most of the Big Games, IMO a record of 8 & 4. Certainly better than last year!

GBO VOLS!

DenverVol writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Honestly, your prediction is wishful thinking. In reality you have way too many unproven skill players coming in this year including Brantley. Yeah, he's played but not played when he had to win a game. There's no doubt you're loaded with talent but getting them to play as a team will be the most challenging part. For the past three years UF hasn't had to play like a team on offense. It was just give to the big fullback and let him make a play. Not so any more. I see the Gators making a lot of mistakes some of which will cost games. CoachUM will actually have to do some coaching this year. Your defense will keep you in most games if not all. I hate how this web site automatically changes the spelling of some words.

DenverVol writes:

I too am concerned about our lack of depth on the D line this year. I think there's a good possibility we'll run more of a 3 4 defense to mask that lack of depth. Could be wrong.

I know this, if I were a graduating HS senior in Tennessee and had enough size to play a little D line, I would be getting a tape in front of CDD last week. The lack of depth makes it ripe for them to take on some walk-ons. Ripe to wear the Orange and run through that T!

morristownvolsfan writes:

iam gonna call it right now UT upsets bama!!!!
very interested to watch wilcox coach for the vols.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to TommyJack:

By the way, that was you giving those whining Dawgs some love on the ajc site about Rogers, right? Enjoyed that immensely.

GBO!

RJ_Vol writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

I'd have to agree w/ your call on the ASU game. Seriously, it will be interesting to see how Florida does with 90% of their running game exiting w/ Tebo. W/ SEC defenses, Brantley will be battered if a running back does not step-up.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Titans_Vols777:

1.) Beat said fan till he stops.

2.) sit there and take it like a chump

GROW SOME BALLS PEOPLE, AND TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS.

No fans of other teams should ever have a comfortability factor in OUR house.

Mr.Grump,stupid is the way people think and act.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Sounds reasonably close to me.

I agree with this asessment 100%. We need not get our hopes too high for a bowl game this upcomming year. Biggest problem will be QB, he will have a rough year with a new line in front of him. Defense should be respectable.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to ConvertedCat:

YAWN! And 0-25 since 1984 to Vols!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to mdvol:

You mentioned hope Dooley lets them talk to the media. I think it has been TN policy for years to NOT let freshmen be interviewed.

volsoutwest writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

DC, I think you inadvertantly clicked on the wrong website. This is Govolsxtra. Anyway concerning the Gators upcoming season, let me be succinct : Who cares?

neylandsmom writes:

it's pretty stupid to pick the sec right now anyway. regarding our offense it should only be better..the second year in the offense should help our skill guys and running backs, and the remaining offensive line, JJ and JS should contribute there as well. i dont' know why i bother to read this homer's articles anymore.

ImaGATORmyGirlfriendsaVOL writes:

I think Brantley will surprise some people, with the talent at receiver coming in and returning and the stout defense. I honestly see a 10-2 season being the worst case scenario.

Tennessee I see being 7-5 this season. They will surprise some people, but their schedule is brutal, and there will be some growing pains with the offense. New Quarterback, New Offensive Line, and new starting Tailback...However, Walker should be a beast from his end position, Reveiz should give a boost to the Linebackers, they established a little depth there last year,and Janzen Jackson should be better.

I see Tennessee's defense being solid, not spectacular, but solid.

I think Their Offense will be decent. I'm not 100% sold on Bryce Brown, Luke Stocker will be great for whichever Quarterback plays. And the new receivers should really push the returning receivers. The key is how long it takes them to gel as a unit, and how well the line and Quarterback perform.

If the Offense gels, Tennessee could make a run at the SEC East title...If they dont, they could end their winning streak over Kentucky

rockytopatl writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

It had been the policy until the previous coach changed it. Dooley can do what he wants on that issue.

RJ_Vol writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

However, Tebo earned many, many critical third downs that your undersized backs could not get. That will be difficult to replace. Mack is a good get...but will Meyer use him as a true RB? If he doesn't his talent is wasted in terms of NFL potential. Uhh, the offense will not be better. But who knows, when UT lost Manning ours was more dangerous w/ Tee. Sorry to step on your toes. There will be more of that to come. Tell your buddies at KNS we say, "Hello."

Overseas_VolFan writes:

It is very early to make predictions just few days after NSD... I think tomorrow's article of JA would be about the recruiting class of 2011..!!!
dropping TN from 2nd in the east last year to 4th is pretty dum..what offense we lost from last year!!! we had none on the 1st half of the season and the special teams cost us a couple more games... I don't imagine the Gamecocks being ahead of us...