UT intern Rubio linked to major recruiting violations at Central Florida

Steve Rubio has served his time.

His old employer is just now starting its punishment after receiving a verdict on violations involving the Tennessee recruiting intern and former Central Florida director of player personnel.

The Knights and the NCAA jointly announced two years of probation for major rules infractions linked to Rubio and another former staff member on Thursday, stemming from an investigation that started after Rubio was hired by the Vols. Including an issue with a visit to a high school in South Florida with former coach Lane Kiffin, this is the second time he has been tied to possible recruiting violations since coming to UT last summer.

Both of them have already been dealt with by either the Vols or the NCAA though, and Rubio isn’t facing any additional punishments.

“It’s all behind him,” UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said. “That investigation started subsequent to his employment at the University of Tennessee, and he cooperated fully with the questions he was asked and with the involvement of our compliance office and the NCAA.”

The NCAA handed him a two-week suspension for his role in the problems at Central Florida, which included 209 improper phone calls and approximately 100 text messages to recruits or their parents during a period from June 2007 to January 2009 between Rubio and another staff member. Since Rubio wasn’t a member of the coaching staff, he would not have been allowed to make any phone contact with a recruit, and text messages have been banned since August 2007.

Rubio’s punishment has already been handled for that incident, and UT also dealt with his second issue relatively quickly and moved on.

The Vols self-imposed a penalty for his visit early last season along with Kiffin and then-assistant Eddie Gran to St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Rubio’s alma mater. Though he isn’t believed to have contacted any recruits — which likely would have led to a secondary violation — UT barred interns from going with coaches on the road for visits for a year.

“Those issues have been dealt with,” Hamilton said. “(Rubio) is moving forward.”

He’ll do so without facing any additional discipline. Central Florida’s is just getting underway.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tward#641449 writes:

If it hasn't happened already, send Mr. Rubio out west to Lame Kitten.

asleep#212036 writes:

Sounds like we've got an idiot with little respect for the rules that is also a lightning rod for NCAA issues. Maybe he'd better go.

Cldvols1 writes:

May be cause to just to go ahead and ship him out to USC with the other violators!

wvvolfan#270034 writes:

Something about this guy worries me... am I wrong?

VOLINTN64 writes:

Is he kin to congressman Rubio in Fla.?

jowebb15#441937 writes:

I guess riding down with a coach to pick up a recruit was not apart of the self imposed ban.

JimHalpert writes:

Get him the heck out of here

TurboVol writes:

give him the boot

LCfastball writes:

He's gotta get the HELL out of Knoxville, NOW!!!!! Time to step up and be a MAN Hamilton.....

DERELICK_MY_VOLS writes:

......and in related news....bad pizza is like bad sex....even though it is bad you still finish it off. I thought that was more interesting than what Rubio did...sorry.

lincolncovol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

nothing major unlike some schools around the s.e.c.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Major violations at Central Fla.... Secondary violations at UTk..and drove a prospective UT athelete around in LA for our former coach....LOL.. what more does he need to do before UT puts the Big Orange Boot to the backside of this guy?

Bloodrunzorange writes:

Why would we even hire this clown ? Get him out of the program! GBO!!

Hounddog writes:

in response to DERELICK_MY_VOLS:

Hounddog rolling around on his back with all fours in the air. LMAO
Hounddog

rockytopatl writes:

Wasn't he also along with Thompson on the road trip to Atlanta to pick up Ambles? Then he gives Ambles the tour in LA.

What a snake. I hope Kiffin hired him. They deserve each other.

Joevolsxtra writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

USC has one of those too.

american_pitvol_terrier writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

What a snake. I hope Kiffin hired him. They deserve each other.

Coach Dooley will sniff the stink on this fella and show his azz the door. I hope so anyway

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to wvvolfan#270034:

Something about this guy worries me... am I wrong?

After what the program and Volnation have been through...I feel the same way. And no, I don't think you are wrong.

eefor10c writes:

He is an iffin kind of guy. Send him packing--We now have dignity and respect in our coaching staff.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to american_pitvol_terrier:

Don't be so sure. Recruiting is a lot like making sausage...if you want to enjoy eating sausage, don't watch it being made. Mike Hamilton is already sweeping the past under the rug (as he loves to do) and if Rubio has been productive in the past, my money says that he stays at UT.

This brings up another point. So many people have bought into this "Dooley will reform everything" attitude that it makes me roll my eyes. Dooley was educated by Saban and he is a GOOD recruiter...in other words he gets the job done. Do you honestly think that Saban, Meyer, or any of the country's best FBS recruiters are lily white? Do you think that they say to themselves, "Boy, I really do need to get that Running Back, but the NCAA rules say that I can't call him...so I guess I'm out of luck." If you think that Dooley and his crew aren't going to do what needs to get done to recruit for UT...then you deserve your own ignorance. In this area, I'm really happy Dooley is an attorney...becuase he understands "gray" areas.

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

You had me at making sausage. Ha Ha good post. But that's funny!!!!!!!!

jfink45 writes:

the ncaa is doing another great job of punishing the school and the coach moves on wihtout punishment. The coach deserves punishment more than the school!

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Remember we've never been on probation, either, fool.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

90% of the schools run a clean program. The other 10% play in really good bowl games and compete for championships.

onefaro writes:

This happened at UCF from 2007 to 2009. 100 calls or text messages to 27 recruits when they were not authorized. UCF two years probation.

tnaseevol writes:

Mike Hamilton: It's all behind him.........until the next time

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

and u never say anything worth salt

AlWilsonFan writes:

in response to JimHalpert:

Get him the heck out of here

/signed. How has that not happened yet?

mercuryvol writes:

Kiffin+Rubio=made for each other.Yep, buy him the next ticket to U of South Central.

balloonman writes:

Hamilton and Rubio should catch a flight to LA.....i hear they are looking for an AD at some rich private school out there!

jack_2222#231746 writes:

This the kind of individual Lane Kiffin brings in- one with no integrity, who knowingly breaks rules. And keeps doing it. He and lil Lane were a good match.

Get rid of this loser and move on.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Answer this, is there and kid that says "I came to Tennessee because of Rubio"??? I didn't think so, tell Rubio to pack his bags and drive I-40W until he comes to a big ocean.

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to VOLINTN64:

Is he kin to congressman Rubio in Fla.?

Is he kin to Lane Kiffin?!

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to AlWilsonFan:

/signed. How has that not happened yet?

BECAUSE HE CAN RECRUIT! If every FBS school in America fired every recruiter that the NCAA had sanctioned or investigated...there would be NO ONE left to recruit.

And as for the guy asking "show me one player that Rubio recruited"...I seriously doubt that that is going to happen...BECAUSE INTERNS AREN'T LISTED AS OFFICIAL RECRUITERS. Rubio is an intern and limited in the scope of his responsibilities, but he isn't an intern like, say, a UT Business student is a summer intern at Coke...he's on a career path to work for UT Sports. Hamilton isn't going to chuck him because he made mistakes at Central Nothing University (i.e. he got caught), especially if he is good at his job.

Recruiting is like selling cars and the people that are willing to "do anything" to make a sale are the ones that win the battles for four and five star recruits (i.e. Kiffin, Meyer, and probably even Saban). And since UT is situated in the Mountainous region of a state not saturated with natural football talent, it is extra-hard to convince top flight talent to come to our University (and for all the jerks that are going to start saying that I'm bashing the University or that I'm a troll...I said "extra-hard" not impossible). If Rubio shows promise as a recruiter, then Hamilton would have to be insane not to keep him on.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

Saban is the reason you have the bump rule in recruiting. He just happened to bump into recruits during non contact times more than John Edwards and Bill Clinton bumped into interns!!!!
Allegedly!!!
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

spcw101#621225 writes:

Don't be so quick to condem Mr. Rubio. Blame the coach who hired him for not knowing the ground rules and teaching this guy what he can and can't do.

I mean look at it this way. Your young just starting out and you want to please the boss. You get way over zealous and without thinking or knowing you do things that are risky in order to score some points. Eveyone does it especially early in their career.

The fact that Lane Kiffin hired him knowing about the violations and not only did nothing to "Skool" this guy shows more about Kiffen and his real agenda which is (I don't care about you. I only care about myself)

If there are sanctions they should not fall on Mr. Rubio because he was in the end not responsible due to not being told not to do these things but on Kiffin for allowing this kind of thing to go on.

Because of Kiffin's repeated (I will be nice) missteps he should be fined and suspended for 1 year from coaching and have to teach a class on NCAA recruiting rules.

As long as Rubio can be rehabilitated there is no need to punish a guy for trying to please the boss. That would be too convenient. NCAA take the high road for once and do the right thing.

JoeVols writes:

Is he kin to "Ricky Rubio"?

vol88 writes:

My vote: show him the door.

WytheVol writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

Very well said!

we3vols#281863 writes:

in response to onefaro:

I can't imagine what USC will get. Lord knows they made that many calls from Bush's parents new house in LA. LOL, This is going to be ugly for USC. Go Vols!

kd45music writes:

He sounds like a piece of trash the broom missed in the corner. Sweep the bum out!

AWOLVol writes:

I think we've all had a belly full of the "appearance of impropriety" over the past 12 months. My view is that anyone associated with the past staff who was involved in any of their brushes with the NCAA should be gone (and there was never a mention of the two hold-over coaches being named in any potential violations). The new staff should be able to start off with a clean slate in the NCAA's eyes.

Further, I think most football fans (Vols fans included) can make a clean distinction between hard, aggressive, and effective recruiting and cheating. I still believe that you can recruit kids based on your academics, your tradition, your facilities, their opportunity to play early, and the enthusiasm of your fan-base. You don't have to cheat, and I don't accept that all successful programs do. Some would say that I take a Pollyanna view of the ugly under-belly of college athletics. However, I would always rather be derided as a homer than vindicated as a cynic.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

Hamilton just made one step closer to losing his job. Maybe USC will need an AD soon....

volboy81 writes:

of all the people to hang around and not follow Lame to the left coast, it had to be THIS guy!??!? He obviously cant follow rules, so get rid of him!

RoyaltyVol writes:

In the words of a great southerner, Gomer Pyle, Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! We need to get rid of this guy!

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

For everyone here taking up for Rubio, remember that this is the intern who drove Ambles (a UT prospect) around in LA for our former coach while Ambles was on his official visit to USC. This was done while Rubio was employed at UT. With this kind of respect for his current employer, Rubio's job title should say "Former Recruiting Intern".

537081 writes:

Do we need a guy like this on staff? I think not send him to usc or ala or perhaps fla sounds like trouble follows him. the fact that he was lame kittens boy should be reason enough so why is he still on staff????

nocleats writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED:

Do you have a link? If that happened he would have been fired b4 he ever got back to Knoxville. Sounds like your story is a little twisted.. I believe he drove Coach Lance Thompson to ATL. during the snowstorm and picked up Ambles and they drove him back to Knoxville for a Saturday evening visit after Ambles got stranded in the Charlotte Airport and was forced to return to ATL. Tennessee had no recruits they were visiting in LA, and as busy as the staff was, I dont think he had a weekend off in JAN.

pm01 writes:

"made mistakes at Central Nothing University"

UCF is the largest University in Florida and the 3rd largest in the country. It's hardly a "nothing" university. If it's such a nothing University, why is Tennessee hiring x-UCF staff and battling UCF for recruits? UCF's recruiting class this year is better than a lot of BCS schools and one of the best mid-major classes. I'm from East Tennessee and bleed Orange, but as a UCF Alumni I take offense. Please, do some research before posting such remarks.

TommyJack writes: