Dooley gets 6-year contract, $1.8 million in first year

Agreements for staff also announced

The University of Tennessee didn’t exactly go bargain shopping.

But athletic director Mike Hamilton won’t be paying his new football coaching staff quite as much as the old one.

The Vols announced terms of their agreements with head coach Derek Dooley and each of his assistants for the first time on Tuesday, and the total package will come in slightly less expensive than what they paid last year.

Former head coach Lane Kiffin and his staff accounted for $5.325 million in salary, and starting with a six-year, $1.8 million deal for Dooley, UT will pay $4.525 million to its 10 coaches — which would drop the Vols from fourth to seventh in total salaries in the Southeastern Conference based on the 2009 season.

Though Dooley’s base pay will be a bit less than Kiffin made in his only season at UT and will also be less than men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl earns, it’s a significant raise from the approximately $400,000 he was making as coach at Louisiana Tech University.

Signed contracts or additional details still have not been released by UT, including a buyout amount for either party should Dooley be fired or resign before his contract expires.

“In the few short weeks working with coach Dooley, it is evident that he is going to do a tremendous job as coach at the University of Tennessee,” Hamilton said in a statement released Tuesday. “A great deal of that anticipated success is due to the first-class staff he has assembled to assist him. I look forward to watching them work in the months and years ahead.”

Dooley and his assistants each have at least a two-year “memorandum of understanding” under which to work, with half of the staff having deals longer than that.

Defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox will be the highest-paid assistant with a three-year deal worth $600,000 annually, followed by offensive coordinator Jim Chaney (three years, $425,000), assistant head coach/wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett and linebackers coach Lance Thompson (three years, $375,000).

The other five assistants were all given two-year deals worth between $150,000 and $225,000, making the total price tag $2.725 million, excluding Dooley. That figure is about $600,000 less than UT paid a year ago when it had the highest-paid group in the conference.

Based on salary information from 2009, the Vols will at least rank in the SEC behind LSU and Alabama, though they’re still in the top 10 nationally.

Austin Ward may be reached at 865-342-6274.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Obviously, given what happened in January, it is absolutely irrelevant how many years a coach is signed for if he wants to leave at any time.

vols1086 writes:

nocleats writes:

Lets Roll !!!!!! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!! Trample the weak, and Hurdle the dead!!!! Take No Prisoners,, SEEK and DESTROY, Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead..... Anyway, Good Luck Coaches and GBO!!!

volpreacher writes:

Voice it Biggunzz44 but I think you are wrong. I think this is a better hire than Kiffin. I liked Kiffin but it was evidently getting close for UT being put on probation had he stayed around. I think the workmanship that Dooley will show will translate on the field. I think we are in for a great ride, my opinion.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Hope this turns out to be a bargin at twice the price.

GBO

nocleats writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

"Thats an oppinion" No I think thats your hope.. And Thats my opinion!

gross1157 writes:

MR. Dooley will earn in one month,what it takes the average Knoxvillian 5-6 years to earn.

dirtmerchant writes:

Interesting salary differences throughout. Most notably, relative newcomer, DC Wilcox makes $175k/year more than seasoned OC Cheney, and almost double what career-pro coach AHC Baggett will make.

wags32 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Nothing wrong with that but could you atleast add a reason for thinking that? lol.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to dirtmerchant:

I was thinking the same thing. If I were a coach, I would want Wilcox's agent.

TNLawVol writes:

in response to dirtmerchant:

Wilcox's salary was likely one of the things that enticed him away from Boise State, whereas Cheney was already here. I am not sure what Cheney made last year, but wouldn't be surprised if he got a raise.

RoyaltyVol writes:

Wow, I'm shocked at the 1.8 m a year, I figured for sure it would be over 2m a year, but I don't have a problem with it because once CDD proves himself, and I believe he will, then we can give him the big raises he deserves.

RoyaltyVol writes:

Could someone please explain to me why our DL coach makes more than the OL coach, considering the OL coach has NFL experience and the DL coach has none. Could it just be beacause Smith is a UT grad?

morristownvolsfan writes:

well said lane kiffin is a horrible person.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Chuck Smith has NFL experience, as a player and a coach.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Chuck Smith has NFL experience, as a player and a coach.

Hiestand has many years of coahing experience though and I thought Smith basically just had 1 year experience helping the Jets on DL. I just didnt think it made sense, but I'm sure there is some reason we don't know about as to why Smith is making more than Hiestand.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

I agree that either of those is a likely scenario. Hamilton is in way over his head.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

You forgot option 3. January 2011 CDD gets big raise because of the good year we had!

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

Could be. I would have thought Smith would make the least on the staff because of lack of experience, after all, thats why we're only paying Dooley 1.8 m per year.

RoyaltyVol writes:

What am I saying? Only 1.8 m per year! If I could just make ONLY 1.8 m per year!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Maybe you should take a hike, zzbiggunsKNS. That's an opinion and I have every right to voice it.

go_vols_go writes:

Derek Dooley will be getting extensions/raises. He will do great things. Book it!

BamaVol writes:

in response to gross1157:

cheap labor

Bellem13 writes:

Great! Coach DeDo, You go man!

I'm looking forward to seeing you work and make us GLAD that other (thing) left. I plan to attend the O&W game.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to go_vols_go:

100% agree! I'm looking foward to the ride!

Canadavol writes:

Surprised at the 6 years, was expecting three to four. We will see but one thing I see right away is that Dooley brings integrity. Kiffin had none of that.

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

If you want to play with the big boys, you have to pay like the big boys. He's been a head coach and D-1. He's been a AD in D-1. Saban said he is one of the best young coaches in the country; sounds like a pretty good bargain for us!

Cldvols1 writes:

Sounds like a good payroll among the UT coaches. Even with the last staff having the status they did I think they were overpaid. CDD and staff will earn their pay, and in return they'll do great things for Tennessee Football in the future. Go Vols!!!

Caspian writes:

in response to gross1157:

And the good news is that the average Knoxvillian can go earn the same amount if they have the right skills, follow a similar career track as Dooley's, and get the right experience.

gvegasvol writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Mr Hamilton may not be as dumb as you think. The present AD at UGA was instrumental in forcing Vince Dooley completely out at UGA. There is bad blood between him and the Dooley family. Not much of a shot Derrick will go there and work for him.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to dirtmerchant:

dirt, it doesn't matter, seasoned or not. proven or not. It is what it is and they have to perform to keep it going.

FWBVol writes:

in response to Canadavol:

A three-year, or even four-year deal could be used against CDD in recruiting by other staffs. They would tell kids if they redshirt that Dooley might not be there when they are fifth-year seniors. Of course, in today's who's hot and who's not coaching cycle, there isn't a promise that if things go poorly he'll be at UT in six years anyway.

I think CDD will do great. The contract of 1.8 million is about right for someone with his experience. And, as we all know, with a couple of strong seasons he'll get a bump up in pay long before the contract expires.

easleychuck writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

And my right to express my opinion is that you are dead wrong. And I even spelled opinion, correctly. You have a nice day.

easleychuck writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Classic...

RoyaltyVol writes:

We play Tennessee Martin first game in 2010, which should be a gimme game, so if we beat Oregon in game 2 and go 2-0, then I believe this will be a great sign of a great year. I think the Oregon game, just like last years UCLA game will tell us a lot about our team and the kind of season we can expect and is a crucial game. GBO!

RoadTrip writes:

Six years sends the long term tenure message to the recruits/families and Vol fans. We have gotten so gun-shy around here with the Fulmer Firing and Liar Leaving events that we have a hard time swallowing that we may just have a really good thing in CDD and staff.

My hope is that Coach Chaney will receive large raises every year and catch up with the DC as our offense starts kickin' some booty. He also makes less than the DC because he has Coach Baggett on his side of the ball. Obviously Coach Thompson is happy to be a Vol, doing what he does so well, with a raise and a longer contract. Performance of their units will determine future pay raises for all of the position/coordinator coaches.

No worries, mon! GBO!!!

RoadTrip writes:

in response to Caspian:

Well stated and very true.

GerryOP writes:

Pretty clear that some folks on here don't know too much about salary scales unless it is quoted in numbers like $7.35/hour.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Sounds like you are a pretty "blissful" guy. Just sayin'...

shopsports#273141 writes:

Wonder what the bonus structure is? I bet there is one and it is good raises for any accomplishments....No arrests, good grades, no academically ineligble, winning!!

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Actually if you want an hourly amount for CDD, it would be about $330 per hour if he works 15 hours per day, 7 days a week.

OrangeRush writes:

in response to gross1157:

Yeah, but the average resident needs to work for 5-6 years in order to attract a crowd of 100,000+ people to watch him perform on fall Saturdays. Some average residents never even get to that level of performance!

So, it sorta all works out.

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Ellison -I'm confused at to what you're trying to convey. Are you saying that Dooley is going to be fired? If so i guess you mean because of a poor record. First of all no coach gets fired after one year especially with someone else's players. He'll get more than 1 year, but why would Georgia want a fired Tenn. coach that lost his job because of poor performance. I'm not so sure i understand your statement. Dooley going to Georgia is like saying Skip Holtz is going to Notre Dame. Why would Dooley Or Holtz want to be compared to their fathers? That makes no sense to me, both legends. They would be hard mountains to climb to equal that success. Going back to Dooley's next year, understand that for us to go .500 will be a success for me. We lost our best 2 d-backs, we lost our qb,we lost our best d-lineman, we lost our best running back. Our starting qb will either have played in about 5 games or none at all. We lost starters McClendon and Shaw on the o-line. Actually our whole o-line with the twin brothers gone also. We have a world of catching up to do. Just plain reality.

OrangeRush writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Or if their job description doesn't include the ability to properly ask "would you like fries with that?"

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to gross1157:

you came up with that, after all these years?

woot

woot

tell us another (yawn)

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to wags32:

I think gunzz's thinking is nobody is worth a nickel until they win. That's fine but I like to dream and have hope.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to ArkyVol73:

Dude, you're talking to Ol'Naffy. He probably thinks Dooley should be fired cause he's white.

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

Gator_Hater- I haven't learned who not to waste my time with yet. Kinda new---sorry

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Same way your idol is talking about you Naffy. On New Orleans sports radio, Drew Brees just said you were his best friend! Not!

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Elliston- Why would they be talking about Dooley coming to Georgia without coaching a single game? Someone down there must have bumped their head.