Nothing to hide for Dooley, including whereabouts

Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley, left, signs an autograph for Jerry Campbell following the Big Orange Tip-off Club meeting at Calhoun's restaurant Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Coach Dooley's take on today's student athletes

Derek Dooley isn’t in hiding.

The new Tennessee football coach also doesn’t want to be known as a recluse.

Dooley just needs some time to get settled and accomplish a few things before he really starts talking. When he does appear in public though, like he did during a lengthy chat at Big Orange TipOff Club on Wednesday, it can be hard to slow him down.

“There’s this perception that I’m hunkered down avoiding the media,” said Dooley, who was hired Jan. 15 to replace Lane Kiffin. “I told (UT sports information officials Bud Ford and John Painter) that I hadn’t done anything. Nothing has happened.

“I know everybody wants to know, ‘What are we doing over there?’ ”

Dooley spent nearly 45 minutes trying to answer that question and many more from the audience during one of his few appearances since taking over the Vols last month.

He addressed everything from personnel issues on the offensive line to his family, cracked jokes about his mother’s affinity for public speaking and made clear that he wouldn’t be wearing any orange blazers on the sidelines. Dooley even fielded a couple questions about his media policy and the availability of his assistants.

That was about the only issue that wasn’t definitively answered, but considering how many areas he’s had to address during his short tenure, it’s also probably not the top priority at this point.

“Everybody says, ‘Well, what have you been working on?’ ” Dooley said. “It’s the same thing they’re doing at every other school.

“No. 1, we’re doing our offseason program, and what we do is we’re working four days a week — Monday and Thursday is speed improvement, Tuesday and Friday is more agility and football movements. No. 2, we’re doing a lot of junior recruiting, which means evaluating and identifying the high school players, who we want to get to know better, putting out offers. No. 3, of course, we’re putting in our new systems — offense, defense and special teams — so there’s a lot of meetings, getting to know the coaches, ideas popping.

“Then, No. 4 is what I’ve really been putting a lot of energy in, getting that support around all this.”

That might not leave much time for Dooley to get out to meet with fans or generate attention for the program, and at least until UT’s Media Day on March 17, that works just fine for him.

By comparison, it’s possible that his predecessor might have been guilty of overexposure while beginning to shape the Vols, and Dooley’s preference for the shadows instead of the spotlight at least provides another clear difference between the two.

“I think it really starts with, we’re putting together a lot of teams,” Dooley said. “It’s one big team, but it’s a lot of little teams — starting with a coaching staff, starting with the players, starting with the administrative support. And to do that at a place with the amount of resources as Tennessee, the number of people at Tennessee, it takes a little time.

“But I do think it starts with developing a mission of who we are, what we stand for, what we’re doing, and that’s what I’ve been trying to put my energy on the last few weeks. Really it’s about defining and creating a culture around our student athletes. We’ve got about 120 football players on a team, 85 on a scholarship, so that right there is our market.”

That’s the one Dooley’s really been selling himself to so far. But when he turns his attention elsewhere, he doesn’t appear to be in any hurry to stop.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

sandiegovolunteer writes:

Good to know

RoyaltyVol writes:

Dooley is the man! Looking forward to seeing what CDD can do.

b writes:

45 minutes, and that is all we get? I guess the press will have to water it down over the next month and a half.

BankerVol writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Hey Ellison... If you were a Thai dish, you would be Pad Prik. If you love Kiffin so much, follow his asp to California...

randyarnold writes:

I don't need reports on everytime the coach goes to the bathroom or a listing of every phone call he makes. I'm hoping Coach Dooley is spending time preparing for spring practice so UT can be at its best after the practices. And, for him to make sure players are going to class (and punishing those who are not).

VolinCalif writes:

in response to b:

You're not excited!? Now! Now! The KNS could have not told us anything that DD said. Would that have make you happy? Ummm Me too.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

I hope we don't see much of him....that means he is getting down to business for the upcoming practices and hopefully working up relationships with 2011 recruits...

easleychuck writes:

in response to BankerVol:

BV,
I gave Laffy directions to Cali on another thread but I guess his bicycle has a flat tire.

easleychuck writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

You are making way too much sense for the worry warts who need to be coddled like small children.

chaos001 writes:

in response to BankerVol:

that's an insult to noodles with chiles.

givehim6 writes:

On none related topics, Organ looks like there having there share of off field problems. Another player got the boot this time for DUI. To CDD, come on the man has a family, to move, a team to meet plus a new staff. I for one am glad he does not spent his time staying in the news.

FWBVol writes:

From what I've heard and read about General Neyland most of today's fans wouldn't be too happy with the way he dealt with the media.

As I've stated before, as the former AD as well as head football coach at La. Tech, and the son of a SEC legendary coach, Derek Dooley understands the importance of glad handing the right people and dealing with the media. But his first job is to get to know his football team and develop offensive and defensive schemes with his coaching staff.

I believe when the time is right CDD will be out in the public just plenty.

LCfastball writes:

My apologies to all vol fans for the rude comments made under my name last night.... Had a nephew in from out of town using my screen name last night.... I'm all vol and will be until the end ..... It won't happen again.... Again all Vol fans, I apologize...

SwamisBigOrangeCrystalBall writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

That is strange...and the negative title of this article...Hiding?

BigOrangeInCarolina writes:

I look forward to reading more about CDD in the future. Until then, I presume KNS will continue to fill the void with more little ditties about Kiffin.

tnaseevol writes:

There's this perception that I'm hunkered down avoiding the media," Dooley said. "I told (UT spokespeople Bud Ford and John Painter) that I hadn't done anything. Nothing has happened.

I hope he is not not doing anything. My hope is he is working his butt off to get this team ready for spring practice, etc...just kidding, I'm sure that is what he is doing!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. He better start "WORKING LIKE HECK"

bigorange61 writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Why are you dissing Dooley? Hamilton is the one that passed on your boy Kippy. Get over it.

volonthehill writes:

Naffy ... or the Naffy wannabe (now that would be just sad) ... go away!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

I guess the less educated here thinks our Dooley Diesel has nothing to do and his Asst. Coaches have nothing to do either.

Hmmmm...lets see here...

Most have families settled in other states so they MUST find a house to buy, go back and pack all they own, get moved and settled into their new homes, setup bank accounts, sign contracts, contact recruits after watching 10,000 hours of film on recruits, watch 20,000 hours of film on current Vols, talk & get to know the players, setup training schedules, prepare O & D playbooks designed specifically to best use the players we have now and many, many more things they must get done.

I'd MUCH perfer that our Dooley Diesel cruise along and he and his coaches get all of those things done and be fully ready to hit spring training running and organised then to be talking to the useless LIEberal press and wasting valuable time !

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

dynasty101 writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Ellison get off the computer me and your mom our waiting outside to pick you up from school. You can get back on the computer after you do your homework.

JCJ1986 writes:

in response to givehim6:

good Lord man, use a spell check. Organ? Really?

dk writes:

Spelling is atrocous, ugh, teribull, ugh, horribull, ugh. Oh heck. It's just plain bad on here. Do any of you guys go to college? Do they still teach English over on the hill?

tnaseevol writes:

in response to JCJ1986:

good Lord man, use a spell check. Organ? Really?

I cannot find spell check when I'm on this blog. Have to try to write it corretly first time.
BTW the words the man wrote are correctly spelled right. They are just not the words he should have used, but I undestood him completely, do you not have the ability to do that?

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

If you are a true Vol fan, what does it matter now? He is the coach. Give him a chance to prove what kind of coach he is before you start criticizing. He started with holding together a good recruiting class. Now tell me one thing he has done wrong to this point. If you cant think of anything then get behind him like a good fan would.

tnaseevol writes:

in response to dk:

pickey....picky....pickie....piki

jgl#233810 writes:

I'm still cautiously optimistic as far as DD goes, but I'd strongly advise him to consider the elevated demands of his new position before he digs a hole that it'll take 10-12 wins a year from the outset to get himself out of. Right, wrong, indifferent, it seems to me that he may be either unprepared or unwilling to do everything that is required of a high profile D1 program coach.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Naffy, would you please go into hiding?

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Better than yours, Naffy. You haven't won an argument yet on this site. GBO!!

lincolncovol writes:

in response to voodoovol:

this ain't much but i found a few things on some other sites last night. a DE from cinncinati moellur has a past with C. smith has vols on his list & we're after a d.l. in missouri with a r.b. who is a 3yr starter i guess they saw on his films they are now talking to. as i said not alot of info but maybe that will do y'all for a little while & shut up those who are so worried we're only going to recruit 2* boys from knoxville

TLepage writes:

don't think he has been hiding.... He has been working, there's a difference.... I don't expect Dooley to be in front of the cameras 24/7 like the media-harlot formerly known as LAME.... We need to get used to that and sit back and watch... On another note, I'm not even sure I would consider this article an elementary example of journalism.... NO INFORMATION.....

Ringside writes:

Did he see his shadow?

tnaseevol writes:

found this on Hooker's blog"

UT's Junior Day - OL and Georgians Abound
It doesn't take a long look at Tennessee's visitors for its first junior day under Derek Dooley to determine that the newly hired head coach has some strong ties in Georgia. At least 12 prospects from the Peach State are scheduled to be in town. It also doesn't take a long gander to determine that the Vols are already heavy on recruiting offensive linemen, a key need for 2011. Ten offensive line prospects are scheduled to be in town.

Here are the confirmed visitors for Tennessee's junior day this weekend:

Tennessee
LB Jarrod Coleman (McCallie/Chattanooga)
OL Kyler Kerbyson (Catholic/Knoxville)
OL Hunter Long (Briarcrest/Eads)
LB Steven Rich (Hardin County/Savannah)
OL Antonio Richardson (Ensworth/Nashville)
Ath. Jabriel Washington (Trinity Christian/Jackson)
QB Mike Wegzyn (Catholic/Knoxville)

Alabama
WR Daryl Collins (Gadsden City/Gadsden)
OL Hudson Grimes (Cherokee County, Centre)
RB Alonzo Harris (Gadsden City/Gadsden)
Ath. Christion Jones (Minor/Adamsville)
OL Spencer Region (Cullman/Somerville)

Georgia
DE Xzavier Dickson (Griffin/Griffin)
OL Justin Floyd (Cartersville/Cartersville)
FB John Hampton (Dade/Trenton)
OL Randy Holt (Dade/Trenton)
DL Jack Howard (Blessed Trinity/Dalton)
OL J.D. Jones (Cartersville/Cartersville)
DE Kendall Lawson (Temple/Temple)
OL Nick Lawson (Dade/Trenton)
DB Mitchell Malcolm (Valdosta/Valdosta)
DB Brian Randolph (Kell/Marietta)
TE Jay Rome (Valdosta/Valdosta)
DB Damien Swann (Grady/Atlanta)

Florida
TE Jeff Heuerman (Collier/Barron)

Mississippi
LB C.J. Johnson (Philadelphia/Philadelphia)

North Carolina
OL - Eric MacLain (Jack Britt/Fayetteville)

Tnbass7 writes:

Coach Dooley is what TN needs,like hearing about him spending one on one time with the players. These are still kids, they need someone who cares about them.His coaching abilitys will show up after he builds a relationship with the players. Trust and respect is something you earn and build by letting these players know he cares.He is building a team ,just wait and see.Rather have a choir boy than a Playboy!!!!!

ResilientVol writes:

in response to Ringside:

Did he see his shadow?

i am sick and tired of people talking about the lack of information coming out of CDD BUT that was hilarious well played ringside well played

tnaseevol writes:

CDD speech can be found on volunteertv.com

USNVOL writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Hey KNS ,why do you act like you are a troll?
ellison_#ss=kns

GreerVol22 writes:

listen carefully.....shhhhhhhh......that is the sound of a a coach not pissin' off the NCAA.

USNVOL writes:

in response to BigOrangeInCarolina:

you are 100% correct about the kiffin lover

elbtenn#502977 writes:

Sounds a little like Saban---all business. Could be a good thing

pdhuff#552644 writes:

You are the corch.

Do it like you see fit.

How many days GerryOp?

USNVOL writes:

in response to OrangeinCarolina:

Hey Orange,
This ellison_vol is KNS acting as a troll,trying to drum up more post.
If that was not the case why would KNS allow such a scumbag to post on here?
If its negative you can bet its KNS everytime.

USNVOL writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

USNVOL writes:

in response to OrangeinCarolina:

100% Correct!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to dynasty101:

Surely you attended a few english classes,didn't you?

jimr07 writes:

in response to easleychuck:

BV,

BV,
or his mother won't let him out of the basement.

USNVOL writes:

Vol fans,
Go to volunteer tv.com and watch the video of Coach Dooley at the Big Orange Tip Off Club
A nice video.
Go Vols

vols2#227315 writes:

AS a supporter of the football team; I like to hear more reporting for the vols.

tnsportsman writes:

Thanks for coming out Coach Dooley, good job! You explained the direction you want to go in and answered some of 'our' concerns. Once you have your culture and program in place, embrace it with good communication! You are 'The Face' now of Tennessee Football as OUR Head Coach. Make us proud and go get the WINS! Can't wait for Media Day and the Spring Game when we will see and hear about the new Big Orange Football Program!

GO VOLS!

easleychuck writes:

in response to USNVOL:

Hey KNS ,why do you act like you are a troll?
ellison_#ss=kns

TJ is right about this type of poster (ellison). He is a KNS staff member. No one is as dumb as this poster. Repeats pretty much the same tired lines on multiple threads. NEVER really reponds when he is absolutely drilled by other posters. Good call on your part.