Strange: Packing guns not part of the college lifestyle

Mike Strange

Coach Bruce Pearl addresses the arrests of four UT basketball players

Should the arrested UT players be kicked off team?

See the results »

View previous polls »

The room for Bruce Pearl's weekly media chat was considerably more crowded than usual Monday.

Big win at Memphis to discuss, of course. And - duh! - No. 1 Kansas coming to town.

Only neither of the above topics ever came up, really.

"I would have preferred coming in here today and have about half of you here,'' Pearl said somberly.

For the second time in less than two months, University of Tennessee athletes and guns are in the headlines.

In November, it was three of Lane Kiffin's football players. Now, it's four of Pearl's basketball players.

In either case, marijuana is involved but takes a back seat to a bigger issue.

Not to minimize marijuana. It is illegal, a violation of team and NCAA rules. But we're used to marijuana stories.

Are we going to have to get used to gun stories, too?

I sincerely hope not.

College athletes packing guns? I don't get it. I'm betting a majority of troubled Vol fans are with me on that one.

Pearl is.

"The gun culture is something I don't understand at all,'' he said Sunday night after he practiced what was left of his squad after four indefinite suspensions. "It's all so new to me.

"I've been coaching in college for 31 years and this will be the first gun incident.''

Confession: I'm not a gun guy. Never had one. Don't want one. But I enjoy Clint Eastwood movies and fully respect your constitutional right to bear arms. I'm not looking for a fight with the NRA.

So I'm trying to get my middle-aged head around what Tyler Smith, Cameron Tatum, Melvin Goins and Brian Williams were up to, cruising through town at midday New Year's Day with a couple of handguns in the car.

Presumably, they were not on their way to a half-baked stickup like the one footballers Nu'Keese Richardson and Mike Edwards allegedly perpetrated in November.

On the other hand, these weren't pellet guns. They were the real thing. With a clip of real bullets.

Handguns are quite in vogue among professional athletes. I read where NFL veteran Jabar Gaffney estimated "90 percent" of NFL players had a gun.

That figure is probably overstated, at least a bit. But pro athletes are high-profile guys with high-profile salaries and, in some cases, flashing high-profile bling. They are targets and feel they need protection.

From each other, even. The Vols don't even take the prize for the most publicized gun incident over the holidays. NBA teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenden are alleged to have drawn on each other in the locker room.

College athletes may be famous but they're not rich. Thus, if they're minding their own student-athlete business, from whom would they need protection?

But they love to emulate pro athletes in almost every way. Is packing a piece just a misguided form of hero-worship?

Is a gun a status symbol among young males? Is it an accessory stylized by the rap or hip-hop culture?

Just grasping here, folks. If it's going to become an issue in college sports I'd like to get a handle on it.

At UT, all of a sudden, it already is an issue.

Pearl, on Monday, was asked how he thought his team would fare on the court without the suspended players.

"The task at hand is formidable,'' he said. "But we have got weapons. We have still got weapons.''

Then he stopped and grimaced, realizing his untimely choice of words.

"That's terrible,'' he said. "I apologize.''

Mike Strange may be reached at strangem@knoxnews.com or 865-342-6276.

vol_chaz writes:

Guns, weed, AND open alcohol container, AND speeding twice the speed limit.. Is there anything else moronic these 4 could have done? The only thing left, is how swiftly the consequences will come.

MidTennVol writes:

Say adios to all four and be done with it. Tyler Smith, in particular, should seriously be thinking about what his father Billy would say. Give him plenty of time to think about it.

If these bozos had been in the gym after hours like Chris Lofton and others shooting 3s, maybe we'd all be better off.

flytnn writes:

in response to vol_chaz:

55 is the speed limit where they were pulled over. They were clocked at 70. Not quite twice the speed limit.

This was extremely ignorant though! I just don't understand these athletes.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

If you have a handgun permit, fine. If not, keep your ammo stored seperately from the gun to where it takes three steps to load (in your car, that is). DO NOT carry it on your person without a permit. Also, whether you have a permit or not, DO NOT drive around with a gun and either drugs or alcohol. You're screwed either way. My problem with these idiots is that one gun had an altered serial number. 95% chance that gun was stolen. Stolen gun, no permits, open container, possession of drugs. I don't care if it was Peyton and the Pope in the car, they need to go.

SmallTownJoe writes:

Pretend you're the defense lawyer...70 in a 55 on I-40 is pretty SLOW, You'll get run over. Enforcement is spotty and popo can pick and choose their victims of the hundreds speeding past them. Four black males in a new Charger is an easy target. Guns: Whose guns? You borrowed the car, the guns were in it, you attempted to make them NOT READY for use. They could have put them in the trunk, but thinking isn't their strong suit. MJ is everywhere, legal medical pot stores are the largest growth business in California, it's a misdemeanor just like the open container. Tell me, if a local student (not a jock) got popped with the same charges, what happens to them? They call dad, bond out, get a mouthpiece and make it back to class on time....maybe they'll have to plead it, but more likely they'll pay a fine, do some probation and go on with life, a little more carefully. Remove the jock part and it looks a lot different. Depending on their priors and their degree of contrition, this can become a wake-up call for all programs, and no ones life gets ruined. If they were four starters at a local community college we would have never heard the story!

dave_olympia writes:

This is one of the best newspaper articles I have read lately, and I read a lot of them. There are great long articles you see occasionally, such as the one about Shane Battier in the New York Times (check it out at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/mag...) - this isn't in that league and doesn't pretend to be. This one is short, written in a very plain conversational style. I like that it just asks the questions that a lot of us have in trying to understand this event that has so many ties to deeper and more important societal issues. Doesn't make a lot of pronouncements and has a killer ending. Good job Mike!

Zman85 writes:

I don't see how anyone who actually follows the crime rate over on campus or has had to travel through the "Fort" at night can blame these guys for carrying guns. Shame on them for driving with pot, speeding, violating open container law, having altered serial # weapons, and not having a carry permit, but don't think that students are wrong for wanting to be armed in the area.

Check out the crime statistics for yourself.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to vol_chaz:

Not twice the speed limit.70 in a 55 zone is not double the speed limit.Get your story right before you post.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

im packing heat...holler!!

HoraceMorris writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

I have never seen anywhere on Alcoa Hwy. where the speed limit is 40.

Owning a gun and carrying it is the new lifestyle, not just of black athletes, but a lot people of different backgrounds. When you go into your local Walmart or Home Depot, there are probably more people carrying a gun or have one in their vehicle than you may realize.

The gun control crowd will come running and screaming over issues like this. But this is an education issue. Our young folks are being taught through movies, television, and current athletes and other role models that carrying a gun makes them cool and gives them power. There is no one out there that's looked up to that says carrying a gun is careless. Until a number of people do just that, carrying a gun will continue to be glorified.

ZacharyUTK writes:

Those fo' playas is aktin' a fool. Errebody noes ya' gots ta pack dat piece undaneef da' flo'mats.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

Good article with a title that bears repeating. These guys don't deserve the thug accusations. Were they out breaking legs, like Rocky Balboa? No. Were they physically harming anybody? No. Were they threatening anybody? No. Were they unfriendly or impolite to anybody? No. Did they refuse to help a little old lady across the street? No. Did they borrow a car with two guns in it? Apparently yes. Did they break a few laws? Apparently yes. Is packing guns part of college lifestyle? No; that is their worst offense. They threatened the college lifestyle. They threatened the perception of who we are and who we want to be. That's not good.

GreeneVol_TN writes:

in response to SmallTownJoe:

Still not the brightest move, but I agree with everything you said, especially the speed part. I could never merge from the on-ramp at 70 on I-40! I'd get flat run over!

punkin writes:

in response to Zman85:

Check out the crime statistics for yourself.

These stats don't really tell the whole story. Colleges and Universities are required to report crime stats. I can assure you these are underreported so the Univ. won't look as bad as it really is.

TommyJack writes:

in response to ZacharyUTK:

Where do you shop, the KKK-Mart? Pitiful.

Highlands_Whisky writes:

I know I like to pair my nickel plated .45 with dark pants and my cherry red ascot. Sometimes I go casual with a simple glock, jeans and a button-down shirt.

What is alarming to me is the lack of sensitivity by <25 year olds to issues such as marijuana and illegal gun possession. The lack of respect for themselves is bewildering.

Urban youth <25 years old (and those that seek to emulate the image of the lifestyle) see nothing wrong with toting a gun because they are around them so frequently, it seems.

I have a CCP but rarely carry in the car. I try to stay away from places and situations where I might feel the need to carry. I do carry during cross country trips, though.

Anyway, once the facts are in, I hope Pearl/UT acts swiftly and decisively on this situation.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

Well, if a driver cannot observe the speed limit at that location without getting run over, then maybe the police were doing something wrong, selective enforcement. And don't tell me that KPD doesn't set up speed traps to abuse the law for collecting revenue, where there is absolutely no threat to public safety. I've seen it and know for a fact that they did it when I was a student. How wrong is that?

mrvica#308650 writes:

in response to vol_chaz:

Not to make light of the charges, but if you think that 70 is 2 times the 55 mph posted speed limit, you did not take the same math classes at UT that I did. Let's at least keep the known facts accurate.

volslova writes:

blame it on memphis...seems to work for the rest of the state regarding negative issues.

ut official -
"these young student-athletes went to memphis to play a basketball game and they left that town thinking that smoking pot and drinking alcohol, while speeding and carrying loaded weapons was acceptable."

end of story. everybody understands and moves on. pearl gets his kids back after short suspensions and goes on to lose in the first round of the ncaa. typical...

charles57#1378642 writes:

Z85, These thugs weren't traveling through the "FORT" at night. It was about noon during broad open daylight!
Reasonable, intelligent people don't drive 70 mph in a 55 mph speed zone when they are carrying TWO illegal weapons, are in possession of illegal drugs and have TWO open containers of alcohol which is also illegal.
These 4 dudes are virtually brain dead!
Yes, of course they can play basketball, but they have been doing that since a very young age. Think of Pavlov's dog. Doesn't take a very brainy person to carry out a task he's been doing all his life.
Most likely, you take a basketball out of their hands, they can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
Makes no difference who the guns belong to. These punks knew the guns were there and attempted to hide evidence by way of their efforts to take the clips out before they were discovered by the police.
It is time for these guys to be shown their way out of Knoxville! PRONTO!

lnbadger320 writes:

remember when dope stories were uncommon. just wait Mike Strange. in a few years gun stories will be as common as dope stories. it's not a college culture, it's become a black culture.

tnsportsman writes:

I have a legal handgun carry permit in Tennessee. The gun class and questionaire clearly states what happens if you violate 'Other Laws' while carrying. The drugs and open container violation would trump the gun carry permit AND you would lose that gun carry permit afterwards. True the players would not be facing weapon charges if they had a permit, but GEZZ drugs and open containers with guns!

But as the law normally works with lawyers, it sounds like some lady is about to be in serious trouble and tagged with the ownership of the guns, don't know but the KPD is looking at it now.

As far as the speeding (70 in a 55) that's slow on I-40. Profiling? Just Saying.

I have calmmed down now, BUT still does not make any of this right at all. There has to be a retraining and enforcement of ALL RULES at UT with Players!

charles57#1378642 writes:

"Retraining?" I, as well as most other people, was trained LONG before becoming adults.
"Retraining" should come in the form of being kicked off the basketball team, being kicked off campus, being kicked out of Knoxville, AND, being kicked into a penal system.
Then, they will understand the error of their ways.
We have too many liberal judges handing out soft sentences, if any sentence at all.
If we clamp down on this type of behaviour it will, for the most part, disappear!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to charles57#1378642:

Then, they will understand the error of their ways.

I agree Charles, 'retraining going foward' let me clear that up. Read other post from me, can't put the genie back in the bottle with these guys. It has to start now for the future for ALL Sports at All Universities.

Retraining foward means classes on what the university will do to you if you violate X,Y & Z.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to SmallTownJoe:

Just because they might walk free from the court doesn't mean they should walk free from the University' judgement. They are citizens and therefore their consitutional rights and civil rights must be honored, of course. But they are also students at the University and scholarship recipients for being on the basketball team. Those are voluntary relationships, in which they agreed to follow rules in order to be included in the group and receive the benefits thereof. Violations of those rules are what is at issue here for determination of whether they will remain in the University or on scholarship or on the basketball team. Whether they walk from the legal system should be largely irrelevant to the determination as to their future status as students, scholarship recipients, and varsity athletes who represent the University.

tnsportsman writes:

Well Stated VolunteerLifer! There you go!

Gyno_American writes:

in response to charles57#1378642:

Then, they will understand the error of their ways.

Nice theory Charles, but the fact is when (and if) they get to prison, they will get tats, enter the gang cliques for protection in the big house and get trained for even more street mayhem upon their release. You don't get out much do you?

tenndave writes:

I am a retired professional white man in my late 50's. I don't carry a pistol nor do I own one. But many of my friends do have licensed pistols under their front seat for protection they think they need at night on the highway traveling. Teens think it is cool and it levels the field in a fight you can't win. The pros do it. TV does it. It doesn't make it right but neither is speeding which we all do also. In the end though if you can't do the time don't do the crime. Belly aching over it is not a defense. If their prints are on the guns and no one elses they must pay the piper. But don't lecture us on how flabergasted you are about kids carrying weapons. Columbine should have taught us that.

AlpharettaVol writes:

Apparently they drove close to 200 miles (from Nashville) with the guns, weed and alcohol in the car. During the three-hour trip do you think it ever came up in conversation as to whether this might eventually get them in trouble? Or were they too busy talking smack or trying to one-up each other of their BB exploits?

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to SmallTownJoe:

Yes, absolutely. Much ado about nothing. I sure hope they don't throw these kids under the bus because of some lame theory that "the University has a reputation to protect."

People on here say they fear UT will become the new Miami. I wish Tennessee would become the next Miami, academically speaking. If they'll make the school measure up to the University of Miami academically, then the athletic incidents don't bother me, provided no innocent person is hurt and no intentional attempt is being made to violate the law.

GR82BAVOL writes:

in response to SmallTownJoe:

Interesting post Joe. The only argument I would make to it is that these kids, unlike your comparison to a local student, were given a lifetime opportunity to get an education in addition to doing what they love and are pretty good at.

The scholarship side of this is what really frosts me. It's like handing them tens of thousands of dollars and saying, "Here kid. You can play ball here AND get a degree that you'll most likely have to use since only a select few get to move on to a higher level".

Many of these kids can't "call dad" because many of these kids' dads' aren't in that position or aren't around at all. This is why the scholly would be so important to me if I were in that position. IMHO, they've urinated all over the entire concept.

Volumnus writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

You make a point, but if they feel/felt that way, there is a legal permit which would have mitigated the arms situation. They are all 21. If one of those men had a permit, and the guns were registered to him, end of subject. Then we would only be talking about the open containers, the speeding and the chronic. Of course "IF" they were making sound decisions, being responsible we would be talking about the upcoming game with #1 Kansas. 4 violations of the criminal code, with possibly 2 or 3 more to follow. IF the obliterated serial number piece is stolen, if it were used in a crime, ever, and if the chain of custody of the weapons is dirty, they could all be facing FELONY CHARGES ON THE FEDERAL LEVEL. At this point that threat is far more serious than a wack ball fan on some blog site or email. You can dress this pig in "what ifs" all day and it is still one ugly pig with "4" violations. Having said that, the coaching staff should do the time as well for not making this perfectly clear with consequences laid out in advance. You and I should not be having this discussion, it should have been dealt with by now.

Bodecker writes:

To address this issue effectively and get us back on the winning track (which is what matters), all athletes should be given their number and a concealed weapons permit upon entry to UT.

Volumnus writes:

in response to soulbrother:

Banning all guns would do exactly what you championed, make a safe working environment for young criminals. And yes, you are correct if they had picked a licensed holder, chances are one or more of them would not be with us today. So for the protection of young criminals everywhere, law abiding citizens should just surrender their lives and efforts. Wow that is some change(is)herenow that we can all use! NOT!

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

"I read where NFL veteran Jabar Gaffney estimated "90 percent" of NFL players had a gun."

I wonder if he carries a gun for his own protection after his non-touchdown touchdown catch just across the goal line to beat us 8 years ago.

koamalina writes:

You are 18-22 years old and want to carry a gun? The Army or Marine Corps will give you the opportunity, but don't call it a gun. You may even get the chance to fire at live targets.

UT37916 writes:

in response to punkin:

This did not happen on University property so why would the University report it?

Sauce writes:

Can someone please explain the following: How did these guys get from Memphis on New Year's Eve to Nashville and then to Knoxville the next morning to get arrested? Were they all cut loose in Memphis on NYE to find their way home. What is the deal?

CER1940 writes:

Anyone else long for the good old days when every young man that age would have a pocket knife and not a gun with him... and the knife would be considered a tool not a weapon?

Jedgarhoover writes:

Here is what can happen in an uncontrolled program http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vaul...

mrvica#308650 writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

I believe that I have read every story released on this issue and have not seen one story that listed the speed as 80 in a 40 zone. In addition, the 70 in a 55 zone has been in almost every story printed so there is no reason for this error not being pointed out!

BigBadVol writes:

in response to SmallTownJoe:

Good post! I think the "get rid of them" crowd is over reacting. They made a mistake. There should be a consequence for their actions but it doesn't mean turning your back on them.

bigtuna writes:

You don't need a permit to carry a firearm, loaded or unloaded, in your car. Aside from the altered serial number, which is dealt with by the ATF, not KPD, there is no gun issue. The open container and marijuana are misdemeanors.

Four black guys stopped on I40 for 70 in a 55 and no speeding citation? Profile much?

give_him_6 writes:

in response to ZacharyUTK:

Yef-sur!!!!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

My guess is that Tatum and Goins will return next yr. the other two are gone. It is not good but the fact is that the guns will probably be found to belong to the lady with the car. The weed was in Brian's backpack, the rest is just all hearsay and they will be dismissed. The open container probably will not be an issue. All four suspended remainder of year with two coming back next yr.

SmallTownJoe writes:

Thanks VolunteerLifer and GR82BAVOL, I appreciate your response and I don't disagree. However, I believe the trouble starts with recruiting. University recruiters promise recruits anything legal in order to get them here, and depend on 'girlfriends' to supply the rest. He/she's a thug, covered with gang tats, had a few 'problems', but agrees to come...come on down! They're thugs when recruited! Look at Kentucky right now, Calapari has an all-star case of potential problems. If he can keep the lid on for one season, just one, and make the final four then he's a God! Sometimes it bites you in the behind on the way out the door (aka: Rose at Memphis) but you're gone on to bigger money. Wonder what the line is on Cal making it through ONE season with his current crop? This bunch ain't as bad as we've had by a long shot, and I think in the end the contrition they have shown following the incident will go a long way.
Recruit quality people, demand quality results, and accept no less!

mrvica#308650 writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

I believe that this is what the 4 athletes are saying - "Give me a break" When you follow the rules (report accurately) you don't have to ask for a break.

in response to CatScratchFever:

Good post as usual, Cat. This could in fact be an opportunity for the program. I agree with nearly all of your player evaluations. Many of us have doubted the wisdom of the constant player-churning during the games, where the same combination is seldom on the court together long enough for them to develop any cohesion or rhythm.

I also think that when a team tries to play so many guys with no one really "in charge" on the court, there is a tendency for everybody to stand around waiting for somebody else to make a play. With a shorter bench, every player has to realize that it is ON HIM to execute every play. They will have a better chance to learn how to play together. They will have to be more careful about committing silly fouls. They will be more likely to value possession of the ball.

Finally, I don't how the scholarship situation will shake out in terms of how many we can offer, but I agree that getting rid of these guys will 1) send a message that everybody is accountable for their actions and 2) there is an opportunity to play if you play hard and keep your nose clean. I hate to see these guys go under such circumstances, and I won't say there won't be any more damage from the situation, but this could be a real opportunity for the program going forward if everybody who is left handles it in the right way.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to steamboatticket#484773:

Hey, i got a radical idea....dont speed or break the law and in most cases.....you've nothing to worry about.........

flashdance0 writes:

tennrich1 has obviously never been mistreated by a cop. I've had situations where the police are extremely nice and appropriate and situations where they are utterly rude and unfair.

Going 70 where they were is much more common than vehicles going 55. It's just a shame they had the aforementioned items with them.