Vinson: I just want the truth to be said

Tennessee cornerback Brent Vinson (13) and safety Eric Berry (14) tackle Ohio wide receiver Riley Dunlop (15) on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009 at Neyland Stadium. The Vols evened their record to 2-2 with a 34-23 win.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Lane Kiffin didn’t officially call it a dismissal.

Brent Vinson is now claiming his departure from Tennessee never should have been considered one in the first place.

The first-year UT coach and the former cornerback don’t appear to exactly agree on the circumstances surrounding the end of Vinson’s career at UT, though the latter presented his case in a radio interview with The Sports Animal on Tuesday. It might be merely a battle over semantics at this point since Vinson isn’t angling for a return, but the junior made his feelings on the issue quite clear either way.

“I know I’ve created bad images in the beginning and the type of situation I put myself in,” Vinson said. “But I haven’t been in any trouble for me to be dismissed or all those media things that came out that said I was dismissed.

“I just want the truth to be said. That’s all I want is for what’s right to be done.”

Leading up to his announced absence from the program on Dec. 17, that would have meant a release for Vinson to transfer in good standing from the Vols.

Instead what he got on his birthday was a flood of stories reporting his dismissal and a brief quote from Kiffin, neither of which meshed with a reported conversation the two had a week before when Vinson inquired about his role with UT.

“I went to talk to coach Kiffin to ask him exactly what were his future plans for me, and if I wasn’t going to get an opportunity to be able to play that I would like to transfer to another school,” Vinson said. “I talked to him about some character issues that I’ve created for myself, and we had an understanding that I was going to be able to transfer and I was going to get released in good standing when we met.

“(After the story came out) I talked to him and I sent him text messages and asked him what was going on. I talked to him about how that wasn’t what we talked about, it’s not what we discussed in our meeting the week before. He told me that he didn’t release a statement and he said that he only said one quote, which was that I was no longer with the football team and he wishes me the best of luck. That’s all he said that he released in the media, and he said he can’t control everybody on the Internet or the things that they put out. He told me that he never said that I was dismissed from the team.”

Kiffin technically didn’t in fact, and that stayed in line with his approach to discipline throughout the season.

UT didn’t address possible suspensions during the week until after a game, didn’t publicly give specifics about punishments and dealt with nearly every situation almost exclusively behind closed doors. That often left plenty of room for speculation, and in Vinson’s case academics were rumored to be the leading cause for a dismissal.

Vinson has also admitted to failing a drug test in the past and has been on academic probation, but neither drugs nor grades appear to have been the problem this time.

“I love UT and I love the fans, I’m happy about my friends that I’ve made here and even the experiences that I’ve had involving (former) coach (Phillip) Fulmer also,” Vinson said. “It made me appreciate coach Fulmer a lot more for me experiencing the situation this year being at UT.

“But I’m not bitter about anything, because I’ve created some problems for myself and I know that I have to work on fixing them, and that’s all I was trying to do. That’s why I want people to know that I wasn’t dismissed and that I was in good standing. I’ve been on academic probation, but I wasn’t dismissed from school.”

No matter what anybody calls it though, it’s certain Vinson won’t be back now.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Interesting, I guess. Wonder what exactly made him appreciate Fulmer more...playing time perhaps?

You would think Kiffin may want to be more clear about this. I guess Vinson is forcing his hand now.

SKO_Vol82 writes:

first?

SKO_Vol82 writes:

un, third... lol...

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

Yes, you have said enough.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

Poor kid said something good about Fulmer. Let the howling dogs be loosed against him!

lomas98 writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

What does nuff said mean? He was in the doghouse for the majority of 08 with Fulmer too.

UTBEATEMALL writes:

He may be talking about how big time recruits got to play sometimes without earning the privelage. He may be talking about how guys who didn't practice all week when they could have still found a way into the starting lineup. It could be how it can be interpretted that Fulmer gave them room to become men and Kiffin monitors their grades and character and holds them accountable at all times! Kiffin may micromanage them more, but we also didn't have any suprise academically ineligible players come bowl season either.

orangeman1 writes:

Well, why isnt there a retraction from all the news sources that reported him as being dismissed? Media just wants to throw out the sensational headlines to grab a readers attention. Kind of like the story that was reported saying Kiffin said it was a "compliment" to be investigated. Who holds these media outlets responsible for this misinformation? So, what is LB Donalds side to the story? Vinson has been an underachiever and slacker since he got to UT, so maybe he can join his former teammates at UTC next year.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

LOL Well, I for one am not necessarily going to miss him, and it's not because he's done or not done anything wrong, it just that I wasn't ever really impressed with him. Best of luck to him.

Ironcity writes:

This is the downside to these boards. Enough people speculate and soon it becomes part of the story.

If coach Kiffin is forthright now and not later, it makes it worse for the kids. Good luck Brent, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Volunatic writes:

It seems to me that Austin Ward is alleging that Kiffin was behind the rumors about Vinson on the GVX message boards.
Kiffin "technically" didn't say that Vinson was dismissed from the team?
How about "Kiffin didn't say Vinson was dismissed from the team". That's a fact.
Enough spin.

SKO_Vol82 writes:

Vinson? just another example of a Fulmer leftover who couldn't get "with the program"... luckily, he wasn't on campus, lest he join Nukeese and the rest of our illustrious former athletes in a fun-filled day of drugs and gun-play!

dvols writes:

heard the interview with jimmy hyams, article fails to mention his birthday.....12/17/1986!

just want the truth to be out...

keepitreal4vols writes:

Prime example of how Internet bloggers and chat rooms can "create" news. Chat room junkies=smear media.
On another note, Glad he and Chris Donald have moved on. Was tired of them wasting scholarships.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

You got that right. Nuff said.
Especially from you. You and all the "Aww shucks" Fulmerite holdovers. He's gone. Get over it.
You people are worse than Al Gore not getting over the 2000 election.

charles57#1378642 writes:

Enough of the Fulmer bashing. Phillip is a gentleman, he's honest and last but not least, he is a damn good football coach.
The guy you should be bashing, if you have to bash, is Majors. What a misnomer his last name is! There is NOTHING major about the guy except for his ego!!

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

brent vinson sucked anyway, everytime he was put into a game, the other team's qb would notice and throw towards him and the other team would score a touchdown. Kiffin noticed and waited for an excuse to get rid of him.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Good for Brent to realize his past mistakes and prepare himself for his future.

It appears the truth was told by Kiffin but that second-rate journalists, bloggers, and the non-intelligent turned what was the truth into twisted tales of lies. What's new?

Let's hope Vinson gets to transfer and play somewhere next year. And let's hope he does well, earns a degree, and becomes a productive citizen.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to charles57#1378642:

Not bashing Coach Fulmer. Just tired of all the thickskulls who are can't get over the fact that he is not the coach. PF did a lot for this university and his legacy should be honored, but his time had passed. Some people weren't and aren't willing to accept that.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

I am glad that Vinson was not dismissed, as reported. The guy had a shoulder that wouldn't stay in place. He took more risk than most every time that he stepped onto the field. From what other players have said, he defied pain and never hesitated to lay the wood. For whatever reason, he did not play effectively against Auburn. I am disappointed that he never realized his potential at UT. I am also disappointed that Coach Kiffin allowed his release to be reported as a dismissal. Whatever the whatevers, I think that Vinson merits our good wishes.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to charles57#1378642:

Charles, every time you post, the U-suck meter goes haywire, pegging out with strange noises.

BSweet writes:

in response to charles57#1378642:

How about we lay off all the former coaches in terms of personal attacks. It's supposed to be about the University of Tennessee. It wasn't the University of Johnny Majors, nor was it the University of Phillip Fulmer. Neither of those two are the coach and the University of Tennessee goes on.

Fulmer and his staff recruited Vinson, so of course he has a "deeper" appreciation for them. He played more under CPF. But CPF is gone and the rules have changed. I'm sure for some of these kids it's like having a step-dad move in. CLK has a different set of rules and a different system. If Vinson had fully embraced the new system and worked hard, he might have seen more playing time. Good luck to him wherever he decides to go.

vet4ut writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

Funny how NotVolFan would use a quote from a player who was in trouble during his ENTIRE tenure while at UT to support his continued sucking up to CPF.
Um, here is a clue...if you are going to shamelessly lick the boots of a former coach, at least use quotes from players who are well respected.

BSweet writes:

A couple of observations from having heard the interview by Jimmy Hyams. First, it seemed kind of like a hatchet job on Hyams part. If I'm UT, I seriously consider taking away his press credentials. Since the departure of CPF, there are definately times it seems like Hyams has an axe to grind.

Second, it was Vinson's decision to leave. Kiffin never said he was dismissed. He said he was no longer on the team then he moved on to taking care of those who were still part of the team and recruiting future players for the team. Why should he take time out for someone who quit of his own accord to correct a mistaken assumption? Why didn't Vinson himself step up sooner and correct the media? Good luck to the kid in the future, but he needs to man up.

vet4ut writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Usually you at least have a different slant but this is just a retarded quip.
Yes, the word is out that Lane kept his word to Vinson and the local media mis-reported what had transpired.
Now, Vinson has cleared the misnomers about his release.

Any bets on who is still coaching their current teams in 2012 between Lane and Urbie?

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Another glimpse into YOUR character. Sorry, but the word is out on YOU, and YOUR reputation is the one beyond repair. In fact, it is a disaster. Save THIS post, gatorloper - Kiffin will be coaching UT in 2012, Lord willing, and hopefully you won't be posting here any more.

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

why would I need to take note of your post? If histroy is any indicator....you will repeat it several thousand more times between now and 2012.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Yeah you know, Fill-up obviously promised certain recruits guaranteed playing time if they come to Knoxville, how else do you explain staying with a struggling player over better talent game-after-game? That's why the Vol Nation likes Kiff, he is no bull.....you practice well and have good attitude, and you perform better, you will play. Sorry Vinson.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

The word is out? This is exactly what he said when he got here..."If you don't have the attitude and desire, you can leave". He said something about some will leave, some will be kicked off team, etc. Yeah, the word got out months ago this type of player will not be tolerated. Yeah your right, the word IS out.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

You got that right. Nuff said.
You people are worse than Al Gore not getting over the 2000 election.

Atta boy, dog! Sic him. He liked Fulmer.

brokebackvol writes:

Beat it, Brent. No news here, just alot of whining.

cc623 writes:

Sad case of another "gifted" kid who chooses to be lazy and fail as opposed to work hard and be rewarded.

To those idiots trying to take shots at CLK and obviously not being able to read the article:

This was a player who stayed on the borderline of being dismissed for one reason or another pretty much his entire Tennessee career.The reason he "appreciated" Fulmer so much was the fact that he let players get away with not working hard or "giving ther all for Tennessee" but,still were rewarded with starting/playing time that they did not deserve nor work for just because of their year(fr,soph,jun,sr etc)in school.

Under CLK and his new staff the player's positions are open to be taken away at any point to make sure they practice hard and play harder.This concept will reap many benefits in the future when we actually have enough depth on hand for some serious competition!

BigHornBuckShot writes:

Where there is smoke there is fire. How many have left the program since Kiffin came? How much more can we expect. I just don't think this is a good fit. I know people want it to be, but it just isn't. Nobody believes this guy anymore. He has lost his credibility. I guess we will just ride along and into probation. I just don't know how we can avoid it. I wish we could.

HallowedHill writes:

He can say what he wants but being on academic probation and failing drug tests makes him useless as far as the team and coaches are concerned. Vinson acknowledges that he has issues that he will have to work on fixing - when, exactly, was he planning on fixing those issues?!

cc623 writes:

in response to BigHornBuckShot:

That has to be the most assinine comment I have ever heard.This man comes here and drags this program back out of the cellar with a bunch of walk-ons and you don't think he is a good fit?

Please God tell me they didn't let you breed or vote...

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Fulmer put up with his mess , i don't see why KIFFIN SHOULD HAVE TO ANSWER THIS ANY FUTHER .

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

He had it all and blew it.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to charles57#1378642:

Phillip don't talk with your mouth full .

NobodyCares (Inactive) writes:

in response to rbhobbs73#226545:

Yah Hobbs you need to take note of his post. lil' DCgataboy usually lasts 2-3 weeks on this board before he gets deleted. Then when he comes back as DC_10point1 or whatever, he'll deny everything he said as 10.0 and continue to act silly.

He's just a punk kid troll from Georgia that gets his jollies by coming on here and acting like an idiot to get attention. His parents only let him out of the basement to attend school ... think he's in the 8th grade. What a waste of genes.

You and I both know that no responsible adult would make the posts that this kid makes.

Oh yah, he also gets a kick out of posting under several different screen names. It's really cute when he starts responding to himself under different screen names. Makes him feel good when he calls himself a hero.

Do you want a technical description of his malady? Try:

Or, as some posters believe, he's a KNS plant to pump up the transaction count. Who knows, but we know he's not real.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to UTBEATEMALL:

Good post! Very valid points.

Fryinpansvols writes:

Good luck Brent on your future endeavors. I wondered what ever happened between Brent Vinson and the football team. Now I think I have a better understanding. GBO.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

So he liked losing???

IBleedOrange444 writes:

in response to UTBEATEMALL:

Yes we did. It seems you like to remember things how you choose instead of how they happened. I can't remember if it was Jason Swain or Brent Smith that was suspended for the bowl game their senior season, but one of them was. This is just one example to prove you wrong. I'm sure their were others.

Guys who didn't practice all week and then still started? You mean like Arian Foster?

Pompey writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

those who care that Vinson is gone please get a life!

IBleedOrange444 writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

Are a retarded? The kid with academic, drug, and effort issues who sadly never lived up to his potential makes a statement like this and the rest of VolNation is supposed to glean something useful from it? There have been numerous statements printed heaping praise on the new coaches from countless players whom we watched improve over the course of the season that are a lot more telling than this one from Vinson. Nuff said!

You are either a loper posing as a Vol fan or really stupid.

TommyJack writes:

I say good luck to the lad. I know many of you mopes want him hanged. Sad.

Psychovol writes:

The media more times than not gets things wrong or makes stuff up. It's not just the NY Times but also the KNS and local sports media.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I say good luck to the lad. I know many of you mopes want him hanged. Sad.

The guy couldn't roll over in bed at night without his shoulder going out of socket. Can anyone imagine what it took for him to suit up and make hits for us? I also say good luck to him.

doctorvol#211700 writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Good for Brent to realize his past mistakes and prepare himself for his future.

I agree completely. Nothing bad said in this about anyone but we who post, speculate, and write with some liberties in the media. Maybe Vinson will go somewhere, get his mind right, and have a productive career - fb or not.

dma38256#264746 writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Your reputation is beyond repair.

Share your thoughts