Baylor commit Dixon says Vols in picture

SAN ANTONIO — Ahmad Dixon insists he’s committed to Baylor. If so, he’s redefined the term.

“In no specific order, Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee,” the 6-foot-1, 200-pound defensive back from Midway High School in Waco, Texas, said during a break in pracice Thursday for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. “Those would be my top three right now.”

Then, finally, he was asked about the school that he committed to in May.

“I’m still committed,” he said.

Really?

Read on.

Nearby Baylor was once a good option for a couple of reasons.

First, Dixon said his parents were concerned about their son playing far from home. However, they recently said their son he’s grown up and can choose any school he’d like.

Second, Dixon is worried about the future of Baylor coach Art Briles, who turned down an offer to interview at Texas Tech on Wednesday after a 4-8 season.

“I’m leaning towards somewhere else right now — just having mixed emotions about it,” Dixon said.

That opens the door for UT, where Dixon took an official visit in November.

“I like what (coach) Lane Kiffin and (defensive coordinator) Monte Kiffin are doing with the offense and defense,” Dixon said. “Monte Kiffin, he’s a guru. I hear about him a lot because one of my coaches (Anthony Degray) played at Tampa Bay (for Monte Kiffin) back in the day.”

Early playing time at UT is also a factor.

The Vols lose All-America junior safety Eric Berry, who will enter the NFL draft.

Alabama and Auburn have their own individual appeals.

The Tide has been recruiting Dixon for a long time and coach Nick Saban works closely with Alabama’s secondary.

“That’s like a dream come true,” Dixon said. “And then I like the city. I just like being in Alabama.”

Dixon said he’s also fond of Auburn’s coaches. He’ll take official visits to both schools in January.

Those trips make it seem unlikely that Dixon will announce his decision during Saturday’s game (TV: WBIR, noon), although he said that is a possibility.

He said he also intends to return to Knoxville before announcing his decision. This time, he’ll bring his family.

“I’m going to make time for that,” he said. “I enjoyed the visit. My parents weren’t able to visit. I want them to go back up there and see the campus and meet everybody.”

Dixon won’t be lined up at safety Saturday. He’ll be playing cornerback.

“One of the guys here was saying I have quick hips, and nice footwork,” Dixon said of a coach’s evaluation, which prompted the move.

All the colleges recruiting Dixon have him projected as a safety.

The move this week caught him by surprise and has been a bit of a struggle.

“I haven’t been doing as well as I expected, but it’s been a good experience,” he said. “My cover skills, to me, I feel like have gotten a little bit better just from me playing corner these last few days.”

Dixon, who prefers to play safety, said he’s not sure what to think about the move.

“I took it as a compliment but then also they don’t think I can hit hard enough,” Dixon said.

That means Dixon could be extra motivated if he gets an opportunity to deliver a big hit.

“No doubt about that,” he said with a smile. “If I catch somebody slipping . . . oh, man, lights out.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

rockytop4ever writes:

sweet! Go get 'em Kiffin!

easleychuck writes:

It does sound like Baylor may not be his destination. Might just be the last place he visits or he might jump on Bammer if they win it all tonight.

One thing that is clear is many football recruits do not understand the meaning of the word "commitment"....or maybe it means "until something better comes along".

westknoxvol24 writes:

Jump on the lane train baby...go vols

navyvolinva writes:

FIrst!!

westknoxvol24 writes:

in response to navyvolinva:

FIrst!!

Not first

DC_Vol writes:

I love it Dixon says "Monte Kiffin is a guru"! Nice to know what recruits think of our Defensive Coordinator. GBO! Reel them in, Monte!

navyvolinva writes:

I thought I was....

navyvolinva writes:

Just curious...How many 3 or 4 * football players are in East Tennessee?

vet4ut writes:

Where are all of the naysayers that were crying about our recruiting class going down the drain?

The Lane Train is pulling out. Get on cause here it goes...

National Signing Day is gonna be sweet.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Can't be a VOL fan and not support your coach!GO VOLS GO KIFFIN!!!!

Vol1967 writes:

Scout has us at No. 16 in Team Recruiting.
We should definitely be breaking back in to the Top 25 in 2-3 years.

vet4ut writes:

in response to volsrock54:

True. But all of the Chicken Littles were talking of our class falling apart. Instead, we got one Dixon and we are working on another. Willis looks like he's coming back into the fold.
This same kid also said Monte is a Guru.

I'll take my optimism over your "cool hand Luke" approach.

MikeTheTiger writes:

Headed to Auburn! Trooper (former Baylor player) snags him. Just a guess.

volunteers4life writes:

Doubtful, Mike. Keep hope alive though, pal!

bill#1374014 writes:

These kids just like to play with Hooker's head. He doesn't have clue what Dixon is going to do. It's comical to read Hook's columns about recruiting, he's been fooled many times by 17 yr. old geniuses.

polymer writes:

Dave Hooker:
"Ahmad Dixon insists he’s still committed to Baylor. If so, he’s redefined the term. The Bears weren’t even mentioned when Dixon was asked of his top schools following practice for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. 'In no specific order, Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee. Those would be my top three right now.'”

Am I missing something? Did I just step through the looking glass into Alice in Wonderland? This recruiting business and its unique vocabulary is total La La Land! Drives me (and I suspect a lot of you along with me) freaking crazy.

I didn't think anything could be worse than trying to make sense out of quotes from a politician, but this beats all.

... and something tells me that its going to get a lot worse real fast.

MANVOL writes:

in response to volsrock54:

He shook his hand and walked off. Big Deal. What else do you want? A gentle tender hug? The woosification continues....

MANVOL writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

Well i guess if Fulmer was still here everything would be great, Losing seasons (2 of last 4 yrs), top 35 recruiting class, and still working like. Sooooo,uh ya, I think its time turn the page... GO VOLS!! GO Kiff!!

tennezz writes:

in response to volsrock54:

We hear this enough from the trolls without having to hear it from one of our own! Their laughing will turn to envy before long! [ But they will never admit it!]

thevoice writes:

in response to navyvolinva:

I thought I was....

Didn't miss much. It feels about the same as being 4th.

InertGas writes:

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in what is being reported from San Antonio. These kids are in the limelight and surrounded by reporters. They are talking out of every side of their head as well as their posterior. I'm not blaming them. They have never been is this position before. Not many of us have.

I believe come signing day the UT class will be looking very good. We may not get everybody we want but we will want everybody we get.

Thad123 writes:

in response to volsrock54:

I did not see the end of the game vs VT and kept hearing about this snub that Lane did to Frank Beamer. I just watched the video and he shook his hand and said good game. What else are you going to do. I will say he did not look happy, but do people want him to look happy after that performance? I know I don't.

Thad123 writes:

in response to volsrock54:

Now i beleive you did not even see it because in the video he shakes hands with players from the other team. Your being the fool for claiming things that did not happen. Just remember there is always video.

ThurmondEppy writes:

in response to MikeTheTiger:

Headed to Auburn! Trooper (former Baylor player) snags him. Just a guess.

I don't know what school you're referring to. I have, however, heard of some place called AWWWW-BUUUN.

roloyo writes:

in response to easleychuck:

I agree, most recruits don't know the meaning of the word "commitment".........just ask any of my 5 ex-wives.
I did where the Stone kid from Nash. Maplewood added UT to his final 4 yesterday, along with Aub., Ala., and Vandy.
GBO

Thad123 writes:

in response to volsrock54:

I have yet to see any article like that. Please post a link. Here is the video of Kiffin shaking hands with VTs Taylor and Beamer. Forgive me for asking for proof but the information you have been posting has not been the accurate.

mlsoft#228820 writes:

I believe that the naysayers and mockers here will be eating crow when National Signing Day comes next month. We will be getting a number of recruits that no one is expecting, plus a good number of recruits that we are just given "a chance" at.

I am speaking about quality players like Willis, Chaz Green (both of whom I expect to be vols), and yes, the Dixon lad spoken of in this article, although this is the first I have heard him speak so openly about his leaning away from Baylor.

I fully expect us to land a good number of prospects that are coveted by everybody, giving us a top 5 class.

When NSD comes, we will again be proud of this coaching staff and the amazing job they have done in recruiting despite distractions like the "hostess" non event and the inexcusable Basketball fiasco.

The Orange is back, and recruiting is going much better than most now think.

mlsoft

rockytopvol writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

That QB offered threw the ball to Da'rick Rogers all thru high school,there's motive for that move just wait and see.They are offering some to get others it's an old game Phil-lover.2 of the others are the same deal trying to steal a teammate that's committed to two other SEC schools.

VolsAllTheWay writes:

in response to volsrock54:

He congratulated Tyrod Taylor before he got to Coach Beamer. He shook Coach Beamer's hand, said good game and walked off. Do you want him to stay for the trophy presentation and clap for them? With less than a minute to go and up by 23, VT blitzed, slung Crompton to the turf and gave him a concussion, sending him to the hospital. Maybe Kiffin wanted to check on his SR QB. Maybe he was just unhappy at VTs decision to blitz with less than a minute to go and injure a player for no reason. Is that class?

rockytopvol writes:

in response to Vol1967:

Scout has us at No. 16 in Team Recruiting.
We should definitely be breaking back in to the Top 25 in 2-3 years.

ESPN has us #6 big deal

rockytopvol writes:

in response to volsrock54:

post a link, prove it or (tone it down) cynic...

Thad123 writes:

in response to volsrock54:

First of all it does not take NASA scientist to google a video or article. Computers are great because when someone claims something that is not true someone can just look it up. I am not arguing with your opinion you have a right to that and i respect that, what i am arguing is you made statements that are not accurate. Just stick to the facts you can make an argument with those. Plenty of people on here do.

roloyo writes:

in response to volsrock54:

I think he just called your hand. Don't get pizzed off, just show it. Or fold.....I'm bettin' on a fold.
GBO

Thad123 writes:

This is interesting check it out. Its about the 5 star Rogers from Georgia.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to MANVOL:

I agree totally..I tried telling another poster the same thing but used different wording...I'm getting sick hearing about it..it's getting old!!!

odtn#267368 writes:

Better indepth recruiting analysis on 3sib:

TnScooby writes:

in response to odtn#267368:

Better indepth recruiting analysis on 3sib:

Thanks for the link odtn...Very interesting read

in response to easleychuck:

That is exactly what it means. That is what it HAS meant in college recruiting for several years now. Nothing new here and no reason for any of us to worry about anything until the kid sends signed papers somewhere. For me, NSD and the few weeks afterward are like Christmas--you know what you want and what you asked for, but you don't know what you will get until the wrappings come off. You will like some of what you get and be disappointed that you didn't get all you wanted.

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

What in heck are you babbling about now? If this staff is offering a guy, chances are pretty good he can play, no matter how many stars he has or what other schools he is considering. Good thing they and not you are in charge of recruiting.

SEC__Headgear writes:

Satan is paying for players and has been from year one. Slive is happy and the NCAA thinks they have their pound of flesh. We have no chance at this kid. Auburn might get him only because they too are occasionally buying a player. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
The first one UT buys will cost more games than Crompton.

rockytopvol writes:

in response to Thad123:

This is interesting check it out. Its about the 5 star Rogers from Georgia.

That's what I told volfannotkiffin earlier Nance was offered for Rogers,both will be Vols on NSD.This will be one of our surprises this year..

GAGAVOL writes:

Recruiting is the most frustrating part of any coach's job. I don't need to outline why, most of you are smart enough to understand it. However, some coaches are better than others and therefore have better teams. The main thing is to get as many good players that will come to your school as possible and do your best to coach them to be the best they can be. It is a simple as that. But the most important component to winning is getting the best players. Yes, our coaches make some mistakes, but they are exhausting every effort to get the best players they can get. But remember this; no matter how well you coach, you cannot outcoach talent.

VolnAL writes:

in response to Thad123:

Volsrock is right, he acts like a kid that lost his best toy. If your coach is not a good sport then how do you teach good sportsmanship. He needs to get some class and grow up!

Ringside writes:

Send in Agent O to close the deal.

Couchdummy writes:

Seems to me that Eric Berry could help in closing this deal! I do not know if a player can be directly involved in closing on a recruit. Can someone enlighten me?

volcrazy333 writes:

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

Given Georgia's malaise, it is conceivable that Rogers will opt for Tennessee. There are a lot of positives for him at UT, including Coach Kippy Brown. But I doubt that Nance will decommit from Vandy. The guy has a 4.0 GPA and an offer from Harvard. He chose Ivey League and the SEC.

J_a_c_k_s_C_o_l_u_m_n_s_M_a_k_e_M_e_L_a_u_g_h writes:

Hope he's becomes a VOL !!!!!!!!!

Thad123 writes:

in response to VolnAL:

That is his and your opinion and I respect that. It is not my opinion, I believe people are just looking for something to pile on Kiffin and if it was a snub then ESPN or anothere major network would have covered it. I simply pointed out what volrock was saying was not accurate. He stated that Kifffin did not shake the hand of players on the other team which on the video you can clearly see him change direction and shake the hand of Taylor and then say good game shake Beamers hand and walk away. I do not see how this is poor sportmanship. I just disagree thats all. As for Volrock i would be happy to look at proof of any of the claims that he made. There are people on this site that say things and you can take them for their word and their are some that you can't.

Thad123 writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Did you meet up with any of the UT fans from the site when they went to Atlanta?