Vols' Tyler Smith dismissed from team

Guard Tyler Smith is interviewed during the University of Tennessee basketball media day at Thompson-Boling Arena Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2009.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Pearl, players discuss Tyler Smith's dismissal

Do you think the punishment for Tyler Smith was fair?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee All-SEC forward Tyler Smith has been dismissed from the team, the UT athletic department announced in a release this afternoon.

Smith was among four UT players arrested on New Years Day on drug and weapons charges.

The other three players - Melvin Goins, Brian Williams and Cameron Tatum - are still on indefinite suspension and will not play in the game against No. 1 Kansas on Sunday at Thompson-Boling Arena.

“When we have a situation like this involving our student-athletes, we want to make sure we get as much information as possible before making difficult decisions,” Coach Bruce Pearl said in the release. “From the beginning, the student-athletes involved have been accountable, remorseful and cooperative with me. While we are not allowed to discuss specifics, we felt we had enough information at this time to dismiss Tyler Smith from the team. Melvin Goins, Cameron Tatum, and Brian Williams will remain indefinitely suspended.”

The four were in a rental car stopped for speeding by the Knoxville Police Department. Two guns and a bag of marijuana were found in the vehicle.

The release also offered the following statement from Smith:

“First, I want to thank the University of Tennessee, the UT Athletic Department and the basketball program for my support here. This place is a family for me and I look forward to a long relationship with this team and program as I go on in life.

”I am truly sorry for my actions in the recent case that everyone is familiar with. From the beginning, I have accepted responsibility for my actions and what I have been charged with, and I am very sorry that my decisions have affected Brian, Cam and Melvin.

”One day soon I hope I can finish the 12 classes that I need for my degree. My recent actions do not reflect who I am and I can only hope that what I do in the future can make everyone believe in me again.”

“I am deeply troubled and saddened,” Pearl said. “Playing basketball at the University of Tennessee is a privilege, and where conduct is displayed that is detrimental to the team and the University, this discipline is required. Tyler has accomplished a great deal and we are all disappointed his playing career at the University of Tennessee will end this way. However, it is my hope that someday soon he will return to the University and complete his degree.”

When reached concerning the dismissal, Smith’s attorney, Don Bosch, commented on the ongoing criminal investigation.

”I hope and believe that the misdemeanor cases against him will be resolved quickly and consistent with the thousands of other true first offenders in Knox County,” Bosch said. “We have no further comments at this time.”

The Knox County District Attorney General’s office is handling the misdemeanor charges against Smith and his former teammates.

John Gill, special counsel to district attorney Randy Nichols, said today he could not comment specifically on Bosch’s statement or the charges against Smith.

Generally speaking, however, he said several factors go into the resolution of first-offender cases.

“It depends on the surrounding circumstances, the facts you may know that are not public and the individual’s background,” Gill said.

“The facts control (what is generally done). Now the facts are usually similar. It just depends on things, many of which are not public at this time.

“We try to be as strict as possible on weapons.”

Smith, a Giles County High School graduate who transferred to UT from Iowa after his freshman year, was a unanimous All-SEC selection last season and is a two-time All-SEC first-teamer.

He had considered leaving UT after last season to enter the NBA Draft and went through pro evaluation, but instead announced in a press conference that he would remain at UT.

He had averaged 11.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 26.8 minutes. He had been leading the team in minutes played and assists (44).

The Vols defeated Charlotte 88-71 on Wednesday in their first game without the four.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

junkdotcom#584327 writes:

duh...

brianarauch#206642 writes:

Not unexpected.

RockyTop1_old writes:

What is the use of this article other than fill up space? We already knew this a week ago??!!!! Howe about someone writing an article that contains news, preferably BREAKING!!!

Good thing this is now a FREE site, frustrated in Alabama!! Just looking for some "NEW" news!

GO VOLS!!

TommyJack writes:

And miss they should.

Kiffin_fan writes:

Want to use this article? Click here for options! What could this possibly be used for?

CoachFulmer writes:

Something magical is gonna have to happen in order to have a fighting chance against Kansas. Cornell almost knocked em off, why can't we?

Vol86 writes:

I thought maybe it was another four. Nah. But dumb article. What do these idiots do all day.

voloffaith writes:

now wasn't that a surprising announcement......hope they can keep it close and not get run out of TB arena. Will welcome a surprise like we got the other night with the 49ers,but the talent of the competition jumps in a major way with the Jayhawks. GO VOLS!!!

TommyJack writes:

Some of youse gize are too tuff on the KNS. You female dog if they do, and you female dog if they don't.

TampaVol81 writes:

Ankle monitors not allowed on the court?

ibvolman writes:

I don't know how I could have made it through the day without hearing this late breaking, on the edge, news. What a masterpiece of journalistic reporting!

HighlandVol writes:

Nothing to see here, move along...move along.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

And miss they should.

Think the announcers will get any mileage out of the Missing Four.

How many days, GerryOp?

charles57#1378642 writes:

Let them complete their careers on a prison basketball squad!

Bloodrunzorange writes:

Breaking News....I am usually not critical of the staff but give me a break. We already know.... Go Vols and beat Kansas!

VolInIndy writes:

in response to ibvolman:

Maybe a Pulitzer is in store. Or at least one of Rowan and Martin's "Fickle Finger of Fate" awards.

VolFaninTriCities writes:

Officially the stupidest headline in GVX history.

a10acfan1 writes:

No Kidding

newtonrail writes:

Headline changed while everyone writing. Since it's been out awhile that he had the guns, you knew it was coming. Now what happens to Williams. And when do Tatum and Goins get back?

Volumnus writes:

The really sad thing is that Hammy took this long to make this PROPHETIC ANNOUNCEMENT. In doing so he missed an opportunity to say "gone for the season, review for next year pending" which would have put this BS to bed and let us get on along with the "True Team" that we have!

newtonrail writes:

in response to Volumnus:

Having been in a job where I had responsibility for dismissing as well as suspending people, it "ain't" that easy. I'll give Pearl and Hamilton all the time they need.

dvols writes:

good luck tyler! you made a mistake...now move on!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

The reason for the article was to update, even though we already knew this was gonna happen..At least the right thing was done and he is finished..That's the way it shoulda been!!!

bobbytodd writes:

in response to RockyTop1_old:

GO VOLS!!

You are lucky this isn't my site or you would be on the outside looking in. This is "new" news. If you don't like it you can turn on ESPN and watch the ticker at the bottom of the screen. The site is free and updated several times a day and a piece of trash like you acts like the staff owes you something.

brokebackvol writes:

Agree with Newton, the AD and CBP have to do this properly, and the KNS is just reporting news AS IT HAPPENS...it was all speculation with strong expectations of the outcome.

I'm sad for the team and the program this happened, but Hamilton and Pearl have to think of the program and not the individuals. I'd rather have smarter players with some character instead of thugs who ARE characters. Sad news, really.

VolWalker writes:

Are you guys really complaining that they updated the site with this information? Really? Was it worth complaining about? Thanks for the updates KNS

korsakov writes:

Not surpising. Only three more to go.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Doldrums waiting to settle in.

Patiently.

golfballs03 writes:

well he needs to get a coach and start working on his skills as a 3-man. that and a good lawyer.

woodwr#217203 writes:

Why Tyler Smith and NOT all four?

The other three are nearly useless on the court, and nearly as guilty of stupidity.

If you drive a borrowed car with alcohol, drugs and guns, only morons also speed.

Did they WANT to be pulled over?

VolinCalif writes:

in response to et_vol_fan:

No! No! No speeding. Just look where it got the last four.

RomeoSullivan writes:

Good riddance. We don't need this type around here, period.

volsunited writes:

i think people were complaining is because the initial headline said they would possibly be dismissed not that he was actually dismissed. The article was updated about 15mn after that which is a regular occurence here. But to the point not suprising but i do hope he gets his life together and this doesnt break him i have taken my lumps and grown as a person from them hopefully for him and his family he can do the same.

marnel1958 writes:

I know 20/20 hindsight is easy, but watching Williams miss so many point-blank shots....tip-ins, put-backs, etc... without getting too far off the floor, did anyone else think " thats why ' when the weed in his backpack was announced? Maybe thats why he's seen with a bag of potato chips alot....Munchies!!!!

Pitch26 writes:

All you guys that rag on the KNS....why do you log in every day to read it? You guys are idiots.....

golfballs03 writes:

Interesting comment from Don Bosch. Obviously he isn't going to fight the charges, but instead I'm sure he will get enrolled in a diversionary program and probation.

DC_Vol writes:

in response to volsunited:

Great Post! I also hope Tyler succeeds going forward and finishes his degree.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

Good luck Tyler Smith. I hope you make it in the pros and don't make anymore mistakes.

But you will be well prepared to draw down with Gilbert Arenas in the locker room if needed. Against Arenas I would go to a gun with a high capacity clip as he can put up a lot of shots real fast. Trade that Taurus for a Baretta .45 and get the special order big clip.

in response to TommyJack:

No kidding! I surely didn't know that Tyler had in fact been kicked off the team and I am on here every day. Some of these posters seem to think that what they post on here IS "the news" rather than merely what they THINK has happened or should happen. Until CBP announces it, ain't NOTHIN' happening!

bigfan writes:

finally

volhome#407234 writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

I've read this post a dozen times, and still can't figure out if this is sarcastic or not. If not, it's amazing to think that Rob thinks so little of the heroes serving in the Armed Forces. If anyone is looking for heroes, that is the place to start, not on a basketball court.

dlobh writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

You really have serious problems dude. They have been charged with misdemeanor possession of pot and carrying concealed weapons, one with the serial number filed, which could possibly become a felony charge. If it had been Peyton Manning or Dane Bradshaw, you'd want them jailed for life!

We should, however, wish that they learn from their mistakes and move on to have productive lives . . .

AVOL writes:

in response to RockyTop1_old:

GO VOLS!!

Oh, so you knew a week ago he was kicked off the team. Should we call you nostradamous. Good grief I think the article is great, I had not heard and when I saw this I was greatful KNS put this up. You're one of those jack@$$ es who gets his rocks off by putting down a newspaper, I feel sorry for you. You know you're not the only one reading this article. So if you knew this a week ago-which you didn't- other people did not. Again your a jack@$$ and a troll.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to A_VOICE_RETURNS:

Well ain't you the sh__.

desfpvol13 writes:

in response to VolInIndy:

Umm, yea. Because we all knew Tyler was probably gone, KNS should not have put out a single word stating that he had officially been dismissed. Fantastic logic; good work guys. Not your fault, though: some people just always need SOMETHING to b***h about.

GODDESS writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

Rob,

You are kidding, right? These guys are heroes? Because they can play basketball? How are their academic grades? Are these straight-A students? Do they do charitable works or community service? Role models? Please. Unauthorized use of the car, loaded guns, pot, and open alcohol, plus speeding. How the heck does that make any of these people heroes for anyone but the prison-bound crowd?

newportvol writes:

"Im sorry for my actions" Tyler..

Just wanna know if hes truly sorry or sorry he got caught? And just threw away any chance of a nba career

J_a_c_k_s_C_o_l_u_m_n_s_M_a_k_e_M_e_L_a_u_g_h writes:

One down, three to go.............

Ironcity writes:

I didn't know about this so thank you KNS. It sounds like Tyler is actually acting like a leader for the first time. Good luck in your future endeavors and please get your degree!

BubbaTN writes:

Adios! Hopefully 3 more to follow. Illegal Guns and Dope are no mistakes there're choices. Really bad ones. I hope Tyler truly learns that bad choices equate to bad consequences. Wish him the best. He will either grow from this or become yet another NBA crackpot.