UT commitment Palardy has two kicks blocked in all-star game

SAN ANTONIO - The groans from Knoxville could almost be heard in Texas on Saturday when kicker Michael Palardy had two kicks blocked during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

The first miscue from the Tennessee commitment came on his initial field goal attempt for the East and was returned 77 yards for a touchdown by the West.

The second came on an extra point that was blocked then returned 99 yards for a two-point conversion.

Palardy, considered by maning recruiting services as the top kicker in the nation, faced deep penetration on both blocks.

"The defensive line on the West (Team); they're big boys," the 6-foot-2, 170-pounder from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., said. "They're bound to blow that hole up sooner or later. They did and they came through.

Palardy said he didn't notice protection problems in practice last week and thought his kick trajectory on the both blocks was good.

"I'm not upset because I know I did everything I was supposed to do," Palardy said. "If I could block for me and do everything, I would. But I can't."

The special teams struggles looked familiar. The Vols had four field goal attempts blocked this season.

Palardy, whose one deep kickoff went 65 yards, said he was pleased to help the East recover two onside kicks and was confident he handled the placekicking well in a new environment for a high school kicker.

"They were perfect kicks each time; I made sure," he said. "We were playing on NFL goalposts. It's a lot smaller, so my form has to be perfect. They (West defensive linemen) got in there faster than I expected them to. It happens."

Even after what many would consider a frustrating game, Palardy was flashing a smile.

"It's not frustrating; It's fun," he said. "Being a kicker, you've got to go out there and have fun. I'm honored to go out there and play with these guys. Great athletes. Fun to watch. Unfortunately it didn't go exactly how I hoped."

Kyle’s Conundrum: Receiver Kyle Prater was visibly bothered by Pete Carroll’s possible departure from Southern California to the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks following Saturday’s all-star game.

“I’m disappointed, highly, highly disappointed,” he said. “I don’t even want to talk about it right now. I just want to talk to my family about it.”

Prater was the leading receiver in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl with three catches for 32 yards. Prater, however, did drop a pass, which was thrown slightly behind him as he was running wide open.

USC’s loss won’t likely benefit the Vols, who recruited Prater and were thought to be in good shape before he committed to be a Trojan.

“No, not at all,” Prater said when asked if the Vols were close to USC before he declared.

Prater said he was considering Illinois, Notre Dame and Oklahoma before committing to USC.

The 6-5, 205-pound receiver, who many believe is the best receiver prospect in the country, originally planned to enroll at USC this week and planned to travel to Los Angeles on Sunday. Now, the standout from Proviso High School in Hillside, Ill., will return home to weigh his options.

“I’ve got little time,” he said. “That’s why it’s so hard.”

Prater said he heard from a USC recruiter that seemed as shocked by Carroll’s possible departure as the prospects he was calling.

“That’s heartbreaking,” he said. “That’s messing up a lot of recruiting. There are a lot of players down here that are feeling the same way.”

Prater said he’s heard from a couple of unspecified schools.

Urban Renewal: Safety Matt Elam from Dwyer High in West Palm Beach, Fla., committed to Florida - again - on Saturday.

The 5-11, 205-pounder was originally committed to the Gators, but later picked Florida State following reports that Florida coach Urban Meyer was resigning because of health conditions.

Meyer has now said he'll just take a leave of absence. Elam said he believes Meyer will return. That's why he's committed to the Gators - again.

"Coach Meyer, I've just got faith in him," Elam said. "I think he's going to be back next year."

There's no looking back for Elam, who will enroll on Monday.

Markeith's Man: UT commitment Markeith Ambles admitted that being a lesser rated receiver - to Prater - was motivation.

"I always come out to compete, no matter who it is," the 6-3, 190-pounder from Henry County High in McDonough, Ga. said. "That's just in me. I compete with whoever I'm playing against."

Asked if he felt he showed up on Saturday, Ambles, with a smile, said, "I show up whenever I play."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VOLKING writes:

No worries. Welcome to Vol Country!

UTfan4life2 writes:

Hooker every article you write is trying to make the average-Vol fan worried. I have a question for you Dave. Do you realize that in special teams in that game was put together the minute before hand? That they rotated players in and out, and they had to rhythm together?

I am quite sure you didnt.Palardy will be a GREAT kicker for us and will win us many games. Please stop writing.

mooddog40 writes:

None of this stuff matters until they sign and hit the field and prove their worth. Go Vols

JLeon04 writes:

The very first sentence in this article is phooey. Neither blocked FG attempt was his fault, so quit acting like every Vols fan is freaking out! It is really not that big of a deal, especially in a HS AA Game.

runninbroke writes:

Its funny, I didn't know how many vol fans would notice as they didn't mention Palardy much. After the blocked kick and extra point, I say come on in son, its what we are used too!!! Just kidding, the kid will be fine. There was absolutely no blocking on either of those plays. However, did you all notice when Willis decided to join Tennessee (again), I thought the announcers were going to break into tears! "Oh, why did you not sign with UNC" Why choose Tennessee? I was like shut up already, the kid is using his brain! If he wants to compete in the best conference and be coached up, this is the place for him. GO VOLS! and go get a few more blue chippers Kiff!!

mborovol writes:

That sounds familiar blocked kicks...listen, not worried one bit....its an all star game its not like they spend months on this stuff...they had a week to get prepared....

JenB (Inactive) writes:

Sometimes I wish we could recruit new writers

desfpvol13 writes:

"Miscue"? Are you a retard?

Haha, nah I normally don't have a problem with you, Dave. But, come on, man. Seriously.

The blocks obviously were 100% on the lack of protection; Palardy did his job perfectly fine.

You are too intelligent for that. "Miscue". lol

chrisw2967 writes:

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

scroll down to where it says head on over to the front page.
its worth it.

nocleats writes:

Its impossible to kick if no one is blocked.

we3vols#281863 writes:

in response to scknowsit:

I pray that you are not one of the staff members. However, since you are alive then you are living proof that Shat Floats. Go Vols!

Fryinpansvols writes:

I agree with most that the special teams was probably put together in a few minutes during the week when the high schoolers practiced. I hope that Palardy has gotten his blocks out of the way. GBO!

Hoodvol writes:

How does Florida keep getting these recruits? Are we not paying enough? Guess not, when our players have to go out and rob to even get food. We had better shape up quickly or we won't even be able to field a team in a couple of years. Let's get on it Vols!!!

midnite__VOL writes:

in response to JenB:

Sometimes I wish we could recruit new writers

You mean we don't have 5 star writers?

crimsonviper writes:

Dave my man, While you were in San Antonio the best career move you could have made was to cross on over into Mexico.
People of your talent are in big demand.
Yes Dave, peppers need picking,therein lies your true calling.
Viya con dios el Hookero.

rockytopatl writes:

Those Florida recruits will be crying crocodile tears after national signing day when Urbie once again tells the truth -- that he is stepping down. It's unbelievable that all these kids and the national media are buying his flip flop.

jetlink writes:

We should try to get Cole Marcoux for a back-up plan.

Volie writes:

Another fantastic article from Hooker.

TommyJack writes:

in response to A_VOICE_RETURNS:

Cldvols1 writes:

Remember folks the limemen as well as the kicker are still competing under the direction of high school coaches. Wait till CLK and staff give him some constructive criticism, this kid will be one of the best in the nation. Go Vols!!!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

Don't worry...In the post game press conference Palardy declared he will NEVER, NEVER have another kicked blocked and no one will EVER kick like he's going to kick from this point forward. Then they put a plaque up outside the dome. So we got that going for us.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I ,for one, I have seen two videos of this kicker, and he is unreal!!! I'm not worried at all about the two blocks because his offensive line has to block for him.

BTW...Navalorange, I left a comment for you underneath the "Dixon is still committed to the Vols" if u haven't seen it yet.

GBO!!

Munsterlander writes:

The only reason I groaned is because I knew you'd write something stupid like this. Fuad Reveiz couldn't make those kicks with the offensive line collapsing the way it did. It looked like 3 or 4 different players could have blocked the extra kick. I like Parlardy's reaction - he wasn't "blaming others," he was being factual. A kicker with his leg that's not a head case will be refreshing.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to A_VOICE_RETURNS:

Nothing to see here..Keep on scrolling down.

straightshooter writes:

Makes no difference whether Meyer is pulling a pure recruiting ploy,(not really intending to coach the team in years to come), cries and comes back or falls over from a nerves attack. Satan has his number and he knows it. Kicked their butts even with Tebow at UF this year and with the Heisman winner coming back and Richardson maybe the second best talent at that position in the country next year, Urbie best expect to finish no better than second else he may well have the "big one". Like Kiff said referring to the Florida and Alabama game, "Alabama is better coached".

TLepage writes:

don't know if anyone watched the under armor all american game the week before, but special teams play by both teams was suspect at best.... That should be expected in an all-star game..... bad snaps, poor timing, and no continuity is special teams play in a nut-shell in an all star game.... Not worried about this kid's leg or accuracy at all.... This kid will be good as long as we come up with a good protection scheme on FG's and we bulk up on the interior line.... Don't get me wrong Lincoln is a bum, but it is hard to make a kick when Terrance cody has penetrated 5 yards in the backfield immediately after the snap.... I feel that our special teams will be much better coached and improved compared to this year.... We have 6 more available scholorships in this class.... I would like to see 2 more OL.... 1 stub RB..... 1 stud WR..... 1 more DB.... and 1 more LB.... I'm beginning to think that we will more then likely move Jacques Smith to LB, based on his size and speed and along with his concerns about lining up against much larger OT's as a down lineman.... Time will only tell, but this has the potential to be one of the best classes we have had in quite some time.... Go Vols and take care of business against the jay hawks today....

bornandraisedintheshadow writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

vick3333 writes:

Hard to watch one of these games for more than two minutes.....they look like a "pick up" game at the WalMart parking lot housing the nat'l title trophy...it's definitely a "me, me , me, me showcase. Hey Dave, don't worry will still be a top ten recruiting class.....and by the way only 3 of 10 five star recruits live up to their billing! (how about a story on Fr All American Aaron Douglas who was moved fron TE to Tackle in spring ball) by the way, everytime I watch the Rebels, I am more amazed at the recruiting job Orgeron did.

givehim6 writes:

in response to UTfan4life2:

This is very true, some thing else. I remember lincoln during him freashmen year was perfect then went down hill. I would rather have a kicker miss a few then be perfect.

newtonrail writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

People of your talent are in big demand.
Yes Dave, peppers need picking,therein lies your true calling.
Viya con dios el Hookero.

GVX knows your ID, and Dave can hire hit men around the border for a C note. You might want to consider that when taunting him.

TommyJack writes:

in response to newtonrail:

If Dave won't pay over $9 for a haircut, he sure ain't gonna hire a rub-out for a hunnert.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Bwahahaha,that was cold TJ..Dave's haircut resembles that remark.

TommyJack writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Bwahahaha,that was cold TJ..Dave's haircut resembles that remark.

actually, since dave got a beemer, he's upgraded from Fantastic Sam's to Great Clips.

hueypilot writes:

Today the Florida Times Union here in Jacksonville published their top 75 recruits in the state of Florida. We have a couple of linemen committed who rank fifth or sixth best at their position. Meanwhile Florida, Miami, FSU, Florida Atlantic, USF, continue to recruit blue chippers within their own neighborhoods. But Meyer branches out as well to GA and on to CA, NY, MD. He is tough to beat recruiting, thus the reason for his Lazarus act to save his recruiting class. We will see. I think it's 50/50 he ever coaches another game at Gainesville.

Thad123 writes:

Just for the trolls
I bet you trolls are not on Bama sites. Florida did not win a thing this year with one of the best college football players to ever play and a great Defense. What is there to brag about on this site or any other site 3rd place 4th place?The best recruiting class? I don't get it. I guess I could go over to a Kentucky or Vanderbilt website and start talking smack about 2nd place in the East, which is pretty much the same thing all you trolls are doing. Am i missing something or is 3rd place that great?

HtownVol writes:

He made a BAD CHOICE to let his picture be put on this site. WOW that is a goofy lookin dude.

Ambles is going to be huge for us next year. He looks like a impact receiver right away.

Also, Dixon looks very good as well. With Willis commiting yesterday, we have a GREAT looking D fdor a few years.

Look at out Fr and So D Players

J. Jackson, Dixon, D. Myles at safety.
M. Taylor, J. Askew, Mitchel-Thorton, G. King @ LB
Willis, J. Smith, J.C Copeland, C. Miller, C. Smith, J. Brown, @ D-Line

These are some of the 4 and 5 * recruits we have on Defense. We will stay in the top 10 in total Defense for a long time to come.

tnsportsman writes:

Palardy will do just fine kicking at UT! Why worry about a media HS Game, guess it's a slow day for you writers.

By the way, the last of your article is wrong as well. Parter will be at UT on a visit very soon, according to scout.com

Prater said, 'he likes Coach Kiffin a lot and what the Staff is doing at UT'. He thinks he would be a good fit. He has become good friends with Amples and other UT commits. Nothing better than the UT commits as recruiters!

I know one thing Kiffin and Staff will pull off a few steals before NSD in Feb. They did last year and they will this year.

GO VOLS!

Colliervol writes:

Wouldn't worry much about the kid. I figure that special teams blocking isn't high on the list of things to do for these guys in an all star game. Probably just some matador blocking going on. Wave the cape at them as they go by.

coachbenchpressfakebakes writes:

in response to Thad123:

Just for the trolls

You have to understand something about Gator fans.

I lived in Jacksonville in the late 80's (before Spurrier) and there were easily more UGA fans than Gator fans there, and it wasn't even close.

Before Spurrier UF and Vandy were the only SEC teams to have never won an SEC title.

Gator fans have always been of the bandwagon variety. It wont be long before their inevitable slide.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Thad123:

Just for the trolls

Thad...are you talking about the gator team that returned 20 starters from 08? The team that was a lock for the SEC and NC? The team with Tebow and Spikes and a dozen first round draft picks? The team that would hang 60+ on Kiffin? THAT team? Funny thing happened along the way. Bwahahahahahahha
(same thing could happen to you gomers from bama)

IBleedOrange444 writes:

Why always harp on the negative? The headline could have just as easily been, "UT commitment Palardy has two onside kicks recovered in all star game" with the blocks mentioned in the body of the story. I watched the game and the blocks didn't appear to be his fault. The line gave way and the blockers where right on top of him. By all accounts, Palardy is a good kid with a huge leg. He'll be great for us. Welcome to Big Orange Country son. UT is a great school with great academics, an awesome campus, beautiful women, and die-hard football fans. We apologize in advance for the hack, Bama fans that are the local sports writers.

King_Scuba writes:

This title of this article is pretty misleading. The kicks were blocked because of issues with protection. Too much negativity. Chill out. Palardy is a good kicker and we have a history of freshmen kickers starting 4 years and doing well.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Although we're not on Prater's radar, I still feel strongly that we can and will benefit from Pete Carroll leaving USC for Seattle. Last year, we finished extrememly stong with Jackson and Brown coming aboard late. Looking at USC's recruit list, I see two or three guys who might come to Knoxville: Robert Woods, George Uko, and Jesse Scroggins. I'm looking forward to February to see how this saga plays out.

jsm67vol writes:

What a dumazz article! Dave I can't believe you couldn't find an opportunity to work in something like: Palardy said he was off because he was worried about the ncaa investigation of the 2 UT hostesses that traveled 200 miles to watch 2 UT recruits play football in early Nov.................KNS seems to be able to work this into every recruiting article, can't believe you couldn't come up with an angle to work it in.

Thad123 writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

I hate to even be saying this but IMO the only team that will benefit from this is Florida some of it happened yesterday with Powell the other big one is Jackson who is the number 1 recruit in the country. He had USC leading over Florida and now will probably go to Florida. I hope we can capture some of the recruits but it doesn't look that way.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Since when did haircuts become 9.00? Darn,Alfa would have to pay 4.50 a hair.

abnerPeabody writes:

Did he actually have two kicks blocked? Did the article say the blocks were his fault? Did the article not say he had deep penetration on both kicks? Didn't the article say that the projectory on both kicke were good? Did Dave even remotely place blame on the kicker? Dave reported the facts that the kicker missed two kicks due to no body blocking for him.Seems we saw that happen this year about 4 times,and it wasen't the kickers fault every time.What do you want reported? The truth, or what you want to hear? Keep reporting the facts Dave even if it hair lips the Devil.

rockytopvol writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Prater will be at Knoxville this week,he's already made the plans,doesn't take long for wheels to start spinning........