Swiperboy needs to write a song about this win

Renaldo Woolridge yells out in celebration after defeating Kansas. Woolridge scored 14 points and grabbed 8 rebounds.

Photo by Saul Young

A post last night on Renaldo Wooldridge's Twitter page, twitter.com/swiperboy. (Click to enlarge.)

Screen shot

— The buzzer at the end of Tennessee's 76-68 victory over Kansas on Sunday was heard across the country, in the sports bars in Kansas, in coaches' cluttered offices, around news media sports desks and in every hoops message forum on the Internet.

The out-manned squad in Knoxville that wasn't supposed to win had just outplayed mighty Kansas before a national television audience, toppling it from the undefeated column. They did it with a walk-on who was a Disney-like improbable hero and the L.A. rapper "Swiperboy" that racked up, among others.

Ever the promoter of his Tennessee program, even coach Bruce Pearl would have had trouble coming up with this script of victory.

The Kansas team spent 45 minutes in the dressing room sorting out just what had happened. But sports writers and bloggers found multiple story lines. Here's a look at the coverage:

Even by Pearl's standards, this was a pretty good win | David Climer, The Tennessean: Maybe we should've seen it coming. Upon further review, this was right up Bruce Pearl's comfort zone. He specializes in lost causes. In five seasons, he has resurrected Tennessee basketball by sheer will and by getting his team to overachieve. But even by Pearl's against-all-odds standards, this was a doozy. From a sheer goose-bump factor, UT's 76-68 conquest of Kansas on Sunday was in a league of its own.

Five thoughts on Vols' upset of KU - Luke Winn - SI.com: Can the Vols sustain this level of post-scandal energy? In the short-term, teams tend to rally around the loss of a key player, and Tennessee certainly did that on Sunday, receiving a number of huge, unexpected performances from bit players. Senior point guard Bobby Maze had by far his best game of the season, dishing out eight assists against just two turnovers, and scoring 16 points. Sophomore forward Renaldo Woolridge, who'd previously been better-known as a rapper -- check out his Tip Off (College Game Time) YouTube -- jumped into the starting lineup in Smith's place and shot 4-of-6 from long range for a season-high 14 points. And freshman shooting guard Skylar McBee, a walk-on, delivered the dagger three-pointer in the final minute to become an improbable hero. The Vols will likely be ranked in the top 10 in Monday's polls, but can they stay there with a rotation that includes three walk-ons (McBee, Stephen Pearl and Josh Bone)?

Beleaguered Vols receive big lift from unexpected source - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com: The first unofficial visit was to Chattanooga, Tenn., a Southern Conference school, and that made sense for Skylar McBee because he was, by most accounts, a Southern-Conference type of prospect. He could shoot it, sure. But he was kind of small, and not all that athletic. So the first visit was to Chattanooga, and the first question came from Chattanooga coach John Shulman. "He said, 'Skylar, if you could pick any school, where would you go?' " Skylar's mother, Sue McBee, recalled Sunday night, her smile still wide from an afternoon of basketball she never could've imagined where No. 16 Tennessee upset top-ranked Kansas 76-68 in Knoxville. "And I still remember Skylar looking at him and saying, 'Coach, if I could go anywhere I'd go to the University of Tennessee.' "

Rocky toppled: Vols stun KU | CJOnline.com: Bill Self was frustrated. That was obvious. He said that word a few times. It would seem obvious he was angry, and he may have been, but anger is a simple, reactionary emotion. This seemed more complex than that.

KU has work to do after road loss - KansasCity.com: Last year against Tennessee, Aldrich went 10 for 14 from the floor. Where is that offense these days?

Instant analysis: Tennessee 76, Kansas 68 - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN: But thanks to key contributions from walk-ons and just plain outhustling the disjointed Jayhawks, the Volunteers somehow patched enough together to score one of the season's big upsets.

A hard slap of reality for Kansas - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN: A week ago Saturday, Bill Self sat at the breakfast table at the Philadelphia Downtown Marriott, wondering what Tennessee roster he'd face the next week. Four Vols had just been arrested a day earlier and were sitting in jail, their fate as basketball players still a long way from being decided. Self glanced at the Tennessee stats and saw that the players in question -- Tyler Smith, Cameron Tatum, Brian Williams and Melvin Goins -- were all substantial contributors. Selfishly, Self said he wished Tennessee would have its full complement of players, looking for as many bonus points that his Kansas team could score for a tough game on the road. But the KU coach also was well aware of another thing: There's nothing more dangerous than a team with a home crowd and adversity to rally around.

Tennessee Volunteers upset Kansas Jayhawks, 76-68, to send ripples through NCAA | New York Daily News: Maybe Kansas isn't the lock we thought to win the NCAA Tournament. The top-ranked Jayhawks, who struggled to get past Ivy favorite Cornell at home on Wednesday, slipped and fell against Tennessee Sunday. They hardly looked like the best team in the country.

Jayhawks suffer first loss of year | KUsports.com: A national media member, who hadn't seen Bill Self in a while, innocuously asked Kansas University's coach how he was doing Sunday night in Thompson-Boling Arena. "Awful. Awful. We were awful," Self said after the top-ranked Jayhawks' 76-68 loss to a somewhat-depleted No. 16-ranked Tennessee team that played three walk-ons a total of 45 minutes.

Kansas' big men didn't play big | KUsports.com: KU's guards didn't play nearly as well as Tennessee's band, but to pin it all on them would be to grant an undeserved pass to the big, talented, passive post players.

Hard Knox: No. 1 Kansas falls to No. 16 Tennessee - KansasCity.com: During his postgame talk with the soon-to-be former No. 1 team in the country - a discussion that lasted an exorbitant 45 minutes after Kansas' 76-68 loss to Tennessee - KU coach Bill Self made sure to give his Jayhawks a dose of reality. "We weren't gonna run the table," Self told them.

Tennessee Upsets Top-Ranked Kansas With Six Scholarship Players -- Clay Travis, NCAABB FanHouse: With less than a minute to play and Tennessee nursing a three-point lead, freshman walk-on Skylar McBee found himself holding the basketball as the shot clock wound down. McBee, who with his floppy brown hair and shorts that appear to almost double as pants, looks like a ringer from a junior high team. He's not supposed to be in this position. Not supposed to be draped by a defender for the No. 1 team in the country with the ball in his hands just a few months removed from playing high school basketball in tiny Rutledge, Tenn. But he's on the court because Tennessee is down to just six scholarship players and there is no one else to put in the game. He pivots right, the crowd screams as one, aware that the shot clock is winding down but not sure McBee is aware of that fact. And then, comes the magic, the reason why we all watch college basketball.

Will Kansas loss move Kentucky to No. 2? | John Clay's Sidelines: With Kansas losing to a short-handed but highly-motivated Tennessee, 76-68, at Thompson-Boling today, will Kentucky move from No. 3 to No. 2 in Monday's AP poll? Texas will surely take over the top spot. Kentucky is the nation's only other unbeaten team.

Powered by Publish2.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

veinsoforange writes:

Does ANYONE know where I could get a copy of last night's game? I hope I'm not infringing on any copyright laws or anything by simply asking. I would gladly donate something in return for a copy. Just one HUGE life-long Vol fan that would like to watch that game several times over.

Can anyone help me out or lead me in the right direction?

smokyredbone writes:

wow! Just wow!!!

jakethevolguy writes:

Swipper Boy played his music last night on court. It's called "String Music"!! Swish for THREE!!!

wayoutwill writes:

I am so dang proud to be a Vol fan that it hurts!I know that I should be executed for writing this post "right now" BUT I hope this team gets it's head out of the clouds in time to play it's first SEC game,Auburn will be licking their chops to beat us!

BrassMonkey writes:

Please no rap music. Our team has done enough to portray the wrong image and the music that has been made by Swiper boy is lame at best. Here's an idea. Work on free throws and beat Kansas by 15 next time.

OldSmokey writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

Can anyone help me out or lead me in the right direction?

You can watch the game here for free. Must open the link in IE or Internet Explorer or the videos wont play.

JacksonvilleVol writes:

in response to VOLinCockCuntry:

Hahahaha... I love it!

I think Hip Hop and Basketball is great. But back to the article... How bout them Vols!

kyvol98 writes:

Also, if you get CBS-C on cable or Dish, the replay is on at 6:30 PM tonight

CoverOrange writes:

Interesting to read the comments to the KU articles. Fans of KU complain of the same stuff posters here whine about. No chemistry, no defense, can't hit a layup, coach not coaching them up, team doesn't care, etc., etc. A little bit of perspective.

OrangeRush writes:

Great win and a fantastic environment last night at TB! Crowd was off the chain and might have contributed a little to the win. Nice highlight video here:

rockytop4ever writes:

I am so proud of Woolridge and all the men for the heart they showed last night. CBP coached the game of his life. This game goes right up there with the Tiger high game a couple years back. Hamilton better have handed McBee his sholarship as soon as they walked off the floor. Go Vols!
Thanks for giving the UT family something to smile about again.

Voltose writes:

"rockin the socks off them rock chalk hawks"

CoverOrange writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I forgot to mention complaints about the refs. Refs apparently hate their Hawks just as much as we think they hate the Vols. I'm beginning to think a fairer way would be to set up a random foul generator that for no reason or cause spits out at what ever times a foul on such and such rather than relying on the inconsistency of highly trained humans.

TommyJack writes:

in response to rockytop4ever:

Thanks for giving the UT family something to smile about again.

I'm sure McBee was already in line for a skollie.

Pepe_Lepew writes:

I wish the florida fans who read this would take note of the comments from most of the Jayhawk and Wildcat fans. They (for the most part) tend to show more class in victory or defeat than almost the entire gator nation. Thanks for the comments, UK and KU fans, I hope that we Vol fans can show half as class as most of you. Incredible game, one of the best feelings I've had as a Vol fan. Go Vols!!!

1pavolfan writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

could'nt agree more !!!! free throws ARE FREE POINTS !!!!

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

Can anyone help me out or lead me in the right direction?

Just like someone else said it will be replayed over and over again. I would check out CBS's website for college sports. Or if you have Tivo or DVR you can probably check out CBS College Sports Channel and they might be showing it today. GBO!

Fryinpansvols writes:

Just reading the article about the various media outlets I would say to Bill Self let it go man, let it go! GBO!

BigOrange93 writes:

Here is one of his songs.

GerryOP writes:

in response to OrangeRush:

Thanks Rush -- precious pics! Awesome!

Fryinpansvols writes:

I wish I could have gotten tickets to go to the game. I'm a pretty dedicated UT fan, but I don't like driving 3 and a half hours without tickets and then having to pay an arm and leg to get in. However, I will be making the track down to Athens for the Georgia game on January 23rd. There are still tickets available on Georgia's Athletics website if anyone else wants to go. We need to give our boys all the support we can. Then I will be making the short 25 minute drive to Memorial Gym to watch our boys take on Vandy on Feb. 9th. Time to get ready for Auburn! GBO!

Volfan14 writes:

I am proud of UT's effort under adversity. Pearl seems content to live and die with the three's instead of preaching fundamentals like making free throws, rebounding and attacking the paint. Can the Vols keep up the pace playing on emontions and relying on threes?

I do like the look of our team without Tyler Smith but I would rather see Chism play in the post like the Charlotte game instead of the perimeter.

veinsoforange writes:

in response to OldSmokey:

Thanks OldSmokey!

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

Can anyone help me out or lead me in the right direction?

The game will be shown MON. AT 6 PM ON CBSC COLLEGE SPORTS t.v. if you can get it on your cable.

zjerniga writes:

mvp award. kenny hall. rules the planet. shut down one tooth lopez. aka aldrich... aka dude who got dunked on by mister hopson. should change his name to hoops son. cause dood got hooped on like his tooth in the door.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

NO!! Renaldo is playing better because he's cut back on writing music. Did you notice how awful he was a few weeks ago?

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

I am not a fan of rap at all, BUT I don't think we can place moral value on a style of music...but rather on its lyrics. There are some rap artists out there who are using the hip hop forum to get out good messages. Check out Rahlo (aka Black Soil Project) and his amazing lyrics. (BTW, he's an athlete, too...and a happily married husband/father.) It's his hope to influence those who are going to choose to listen to rap anyway. Give them something good! http://www.rahlo.com/bSp/home/home.html GBO!!

volsunited writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

I'd rather he sit in his room writing music than riding around with guns and drugs!!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Look it. Rap is a load of crapola to me. BUT, last I looked, this is still Amurca. He's free to do any music he wants. Don't see how it affects his game.

murrayvol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

That's just what fans do Turbo. Maybe it's a law.

WytheVol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Amen to that, Doc!!

byrd4vols writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

most accurate comment i have read in a while

1supervol writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

Can anyone help me out or lead me in the right direction?

I've got it on my DVR and I'll gladly make you a copy if you will pay the postage.Go Big Orange!!!!!
broberts1@mail.com

537081 writes:

Bruce it is always darkest before the dawn congrads I wrote last week "Play the kids who want to do the right things in life and the walk on and water boys and play your best win or loose I had your back" I still got it friend Coach a kid who always wanted to be a vol will play harder cause his heart is in it.

WytheVol writes:

in response to A_VOICE_RETURNS:

How about he just remains productive and tries to improve all of his skills. Everything he has done to date has been better than lightin up joints and packin heat rollin down I40...

I'd much rather him be known as a bad rapper (not saying he is...) and a decent ball player than wasting everything in jail... Letting all of his skills go to waste!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Hard to find good rap on 8-tracks.

illustriouswon writes:

Renaldo Woolridge, the half-brother of future KU player Royce Woolridge, had 14 points off 4-of-6 three-point shooting. He said he would not text Royce after the game.

“I don’t really know him, to be honest,” Renaldo said.

Ummm....Why doesn't he know his half- brother?

govols2104 writes:

in response to Murvul_Person:

The SEC channel DOES have the whole game up. There may be a highlight video as well but the whole game is on there.

VOLKING writes:

in response to A_VOICE_RETURNS:

Sixth- no more Pearl bashing from the morons who think he can't coach!

Awesome to read all the blogs and comments from around the country. Thanks to "Bruce and the Leftovers" for putting UT back in a favorable light nationally! Woolridge was just out of his mind in this game! I AM SORRY, Renaldo, for calling you a waste of a scholarship earlier in the year! We probably wouldn't have won the game without his four 3-pointers, but what really had me swallowing my words was the way he battled on the boards. I would have expected that he might hit a few long ones at some point, but I just didn't think he was tough enough or willing to risk getting an elbow in his performer's face to fight for rebounds. If he can build on this performance, the Vols will be a threat against anybody.