'Betrayal', 'truthful' used by ex-players

Part One: UT AD Mike Hamilton on Kiffin's departure

Tennessee fans despise him. Students can't stand him. Nor will Lane Kiffin win any popularity contests with former UT football players.

Not after Kiffin, who spent less than 14 months as UT's coach, suddenly announced Tuesday night he was leaving to become coach at Southern California.

Several former Vols attended a Wednesday press conference when UT athletic director Mike Hamilton addressed plans for hiring a new coach and introduced Kippy Brown as the interim coach.

Kiffin's departure - he sold fans and players that he was here to make UT a championship team - was still stinging.

"It's disappointing," said David Douglas, an offensive tackle in the mid-1980s and whose son, Aaron, an offensive lineman for the Vols, was named a Freshman All-American last week. "The first thing for me is sitting there worrying about your son and the team, and what are they thinking. As fans we tend to think we're most important, but we're not. It's about the kids and their well-being."

David Douglas played at UT when Phillip Fulmer was offensive line coach. Fulmer, who became head coach in 1992, was fired late in the 2008 season and replaced by Kiffin at season's end. Fulmer signed Aaron Douglas, who played at Maryville High School.

"Basically, I'm just disappointed, but at the same time, you've got to wish guys well trying to better themselves," David Douglas said, "but I don't like the way they handled it and the way they exited because they truly didn't care about UT and didn't care about these kids. That's pretty evident."

Douglas said his son had implied that before.

"Yeah, from time to time, (he'd) just say I don't think these guys really care about us, I don't think they really care about the program as much as Coach Fulmer and his staff did," Douglas said. "Aaron's kind of jaded on that. We brainwashed him. He was around that (Fulmer) staff a long time as a kid."

John Bruhin, offensive guard 1985-87, said he was concerned since the Fulmer firing. Bruhin is a pro-Kippy Brown guy.

"Kippy is a great guy. He was on the staff when I played here," Bruhin said. "I just thought they could have asked (Brown) one simple question that they should have asked Kiffin: What's your lifetime goal as a coach, where would you want it to be? If (Kiffin) had been truthful, he would have said USC and we wouldn't be in this mess. So for him to come here, it should have been an ultimate goal, something maybe he dreamed about."

Fred White, who played safety on the 1998 national championship team and now hosts a radio sports talk show in Knoxville, was most vocal about his disappointment with Kiffin's sudden departure and its timing.

"I think it was low," White said. "I think it was betrayal because there were a lot of things he promised. He promised (the players) a lot of different things and promised the fans a lot of things he couldn't hold up to. . . . I think it was even lower because you leave during the recruiting period. You leave with three weeks left in recruiting. You leave when you've got (mid-year enrollees) in transit to Knoxville. I think that's the lowest way to do it."

Former offensive tackle Phil Stuart (1985-88) said Kiffin's departure is another reason recruits should sign because of the school and program, not the coach.

"I'm kind of shocked and kind of hurt because of the things (Kiffin) promised to do, not (hurt) for me but for a lot of the young kids that are coming in," Stuart said. "You talk to these parents (of recruits) and tell them you're going to be the coach and then you turn around and you leave, and it kind of leaves them guessing on what to do."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

cdonsbach writes:

This is why recruits should sign with the school with the best academic programs and not the best football coach.

stayingorange writes:

It's good to have former Vols around right now. They need to help support the strong tradition of the program and help these players and recruits understand what it's really all about - something Kiffin didn't know or care about.

chl1958 writes:

Kiffin is certainly self centered;we were only a stepping stone to his destination. I firmly believe we are better off without him and so are all the team members,and as they all know there is no I in team!

cobbwebb writes:

get david reaves the hell out of knoxville now! do you think we can trust him? he is probably just sticking around to talk to the recruits coming in this friday!!!

Burton4Heisman writes:

I cant believe Vol fans actually liked this clown at one point. I'm gonna miss Coach Kiffin!

cobbwebb writes:

this program should move forward with kippy, lance thompson, and jim chaney!

OldSmokey writes:

I just hate it for these kids.

kabulvol writes:

People like Lane Kiffin always get what they deserve in the end.

RoadTrip writes:

Out of all the coaches I met at lettermen events this past season, Chaney was the one that most impressed me as being a real guy. Did not meet Thompson or Garza. I like what Cregg and Chaney did with the talent they had available. I am in the Kippy camp and retaining all that want to stay except Reaves. If Kippy, Chaney and Thompson could forge a strong bond - we would have our nucleus.

TLepage writes:

It is evident that Kiffin went into coaching and is a coach for all of the wrong reasons... fame and fortune... Most go into coach because they want to teach young men life lessons and educate them through a sport.... Kiffin could obviously care less about any of these kids.... And if he did care, he would not have told 18 year old children not to attend class.... You are low-life scum buddy....

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

You know USC plays in a BAAADDD part of LA, maybe Kiff'l get mugged or sumpun. HE will experience karma.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

And that story Kiff refused to say Neyland's Maxims. 70 year tradition there buddy. Had former players do it for him. And never did it on road games. Sick. Never was a Vol.

LiveFaith writes:

I agree. Layla's brother does not need to step foot back inside a UT building or speak to another player or recruit. Anyone remotely loyal to SCs coach should be shown the door. Pay him and do it honorably, but do it today!
Sorry David, but it's guilt by association.
Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, & Steve Spurrier all have reasons to want UTs demise, but Monte's son has done more damage to UT than all of them put together for a lifetime x 1,000.

tnsportsman writes:

I have been on all the boards as a huge and vocal kiffin supporter since he was hired. As a former player, long term donor, 40 year fan and only 5 home games missed in 35 years who loves this University was very wrong about you kiffin. WE ALL WERE LIED TOO AND SCAMMED BY THIS JERK!

I'm sorry I bought into you kiffin! Take you, your old man and family out of TENNESSEE! I hope you never step foot in TENNESSEE EVER AGAIN!

letshave1more writes:

ES&D CLK!!!

volinky writes:

I am watching Kiffin's press conference - what a load of BS! I am so glad he is gone. I hope Kippy is our guy!

xvillefan writes:

Does anyone remember that 10 days before his son's resignation, Monte got a $300,000 bonus for remaining on the roster? If you do, you can understand the apple did not fall far from the tree.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

(formely known as LANETRAINRIDER)

I totally agree with you, thsportsman..I remember agreeing with you just yesterday about Kiffin and now look what happened to us..So I'm sorry I bought into him to..He is USC's mess now; let them deal with the piece of trash!! Let's get us a real coach who cares about loyalty and tradition.

utken1942 writes:

keep kippy and others already there and add to those

jerseydevilvol writes:

It's takes a real scumbag to look a recruit and his parents in the eye at their own home and promise them this and that. Im not going anywhere, our staff can get you to next level, you have a chance to start as a freshman. As bad as this stings me as a vol fan, I feel so much worse for the kids this liar got to commit to Ut before leaving them high and dry.
I personally hope nothing but the worse things in life for this man, I would love nothing more then to watch him fall flat on his face at Usc, and coach O, haha dont get me started with that alcoholic. Ut will go on, it may set us back, but we will be back. Go vols!!!!

SEC1 writes:

in response to Burton4Heisman:

Vols made a deal with the Devil(kitten) and got burned, sad for the kids.

tapeworm writes:

Why in the he-l didn't Mike Hamilton ask the right questions when he hired Kiffin? Wasn't a possible return to USC on the radar when he offered him the job? You would have to be under a rock not to know the possibilities. Yet, he pushed ahead, and even approved the $800,000 chump-change buyout on top of the $6 million Fulmer payoff after extending Fulmer's contract in a year where Fulmer's team won nine games in the regular season when they really should have only won six. Seems like we need to be looking for a head coach AND an AD. And, here I thought MH was a businessman.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Remembering what Coach Reaves did with Jon Crompton, we might consider keeping him. I absolutely agree about keeping the others, especially Chaney, Brown, and Thompson. But how is that going to work with a new HC? Personally, I would be comfortable with Coach Brown as HC, Chaney OC, and Thompson maybe DC.

bluetick writes:

Tennessee needs to hire someone who will be loyal and faithful to the University. Muschamp is faithful to Texas, Kiffin is faithful to USC, etc.... Get some people who KNOW about tradition in Knoxville and not some USC loving punk. kiffin always referred to UT as the USC of the East. NO! WE ARE NOT usc of the East u buttwipe! We have our own traditions here. We are TENNESSEE and nothing else. Put that in your pipe and puff on it for a bit assmunch!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to volinky:

I was watching at it as I was flipping him off and cursing at him..He was stumbling around and denying any knowledge of what Orgeron was doing during the team meeting..What a liar and a piece of trash!!!

tenuscvol writes:

The title for this article is terribly misleading.

It should indicate that Kiffin as "NOT" being "TRUTHFUL" as being the issue...

Please correct...

Tenvol98 writes:

I just watched the rat's press conference. What a POS!! Thought I was listening to Clinton explain what the meaning of the word "is" is when questioned about whether his stoolie Orgeron was pilfering UT recruits. Good luck S(u)C(k), you'll need it with this weasel.

Goosfraba writes:

I'll have to admit that I was wrong about Kiffin. He can say that USC is his dream job and that it was the only place he would have left for. But you still can't put yourself first like that and treat UT the way he did. He can try and weasel his way out of being accountable, but the facts are that he lied about everything. From day one he preached championships, loyalty, and integrity and all that Orange Kool-Aid bullcrap! No matter how he wants to turn this, he will always be a liar in my book. I hope all the parents of the best high school talent help there kids to see through Kiffin's lies. He can never be trusted now and this will one day haunt him. Go Vols! I also must say that I have a new respect for Phil Fulmer. I believe he truly cares about UT and has more class than Kiffin will ever thought about having. Maybe Fulmer should seriously be considered for AD. I think bringing him back as Head Coach is not the answer but having him here as AD would ensure that we would have some loyalty back in Knoxville!

dvols writes:

i would like to hear from #14! ...he will tell the truth!

Joevolsxtra writes:

Kiffin was like dating a girl that only wanted to talk about how great her ex-boyfriend was. That whole "USC of the east" thing made me gag! Take that crepid old man and the bumbling drunk and get the heck outta MY state!!!

vol98champ writes:

Did I not read in Kiffin's contract that he had to give us a 30 day notice? Does that not hold any water?

bigOutfan writes:

A program in demise. Players arrested, drugs, guns, robbery and now the head coach leaves at the peak of recruiting. A sad day in Tennessee. It will be a long long time before the sun shines here again... This can't be fixed over night... It will take years.

eefor10c writes:

Notice which coach cared about his players. Fulmer was loyal to his players and assistant coaches, probably to a fault. Yet, we have many who post how awful he was and throw their child playground insults. They should be ashamed. They need to take some responsibility for what happened.

TennHillbilly writes:

All High School Seniors hopefully will learn from this and refuse to commit to ANY school until NSD. If I were in their place, I wouldn't even name any schools that I was interested in until the NCAA told me I had to make a decision. By then maybe all of the coaching moves would be complete and I wouldn't have to worry about who my coach will be.
The way these egomaniac coaches are today is ridiculous. It's all about them and not about the University they work for or the kids that play for them.

cobbwebb writes:

imo kippy brown should be given a chance, and i think he is hamiltons guy, he may not do jack at ut, but he has stood tall during all this garbage! kippy as head man, thompson as dc, chaney as oc, and go from there! if that does not happen, and the usual suspects(patterson, peterson, muschamp, etc...) are unattainable, does any one else thinks a good quick way to stop the bleeding, is to bring in a proven winner, a coach who has been around the block, a guy that could mantain our program for 2-3 yrs, until the next young up and comer pops up, a coach highly motivated because he was recently betrayed as well, yes i mean bobby bowden!!!! hirebobbybowden.com!!!!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

Sooo you've been there, did you drive in and walk out after a game?

Keenan writes:

Lane Kiffin's one minute press conference departing UT was spent exclaiming what a wonderful job he had done at UT. During his press conference at USC he continued trumpeting the great job he did at UT and how much better the program was because of him. "Pride cometh before a fall." It is good that Lane Kiffin is in love with himself, because it is hard for those he has lied to a betrayed to feel as warmly.

BobbyGraham writes:

Skip Bayless, who i normally disagree with, said today that this was Kiffin's chance to prove everyone wrong about him. To turn down his dream job and stick to his committment to Tennessee and finish what he started. He had the opportunity to totally change the national perception of him and endear himself to Vol fans for being a man of his word. Of course, he proved everyone what kind of men he and his brood are by leaving us high and dry.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to imnotDC:

You know DC I don't think you are.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

This is B.S. The guy that posted has an Alabama "A" as his avatar, just joined rockytoptalk.com TODAY, and has ONE post, which is the link to which you are referring. What a fool. (Not you, newport, the Bammer.)

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to imnotDC:

If you're worried about that, I'm sure it will all be back to normal soon, and you can go back to being hated again. :)

kyvolunteer writes:

Lane Kiffin has just cancelled his presser and rescheduled for when he can be announced as the new head coach of the Bills. Unofficial sources say Ed Orgeron is on the phone with current USC juniors trying to get them to enter the draft.

volnut64 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

I almost could buy into this! I think we need Chaney and Cregg. I believe some off our recruits can be saved if this is so. I want to believe Kippy can do it but need convincing. One coach I always thought we should add.............Dale Jones. Appy St. for a long time and I gaurantee you all Vol! Think this staff needs a few!

golfballs03 writes:

Kiffin is the perfect symbol of here-and-now modernism as manifested in athletics: complete self-absorbtion, self-service, and self-importance. In the end, all these are VICES, every one.
What is most important now, at least to for a venerable institution like the University of Tennessee, is to get the right coach, a man who melds well with our institutions, who recruits the student-athlete who melds well with our institutions and standards, and who is self-assured enough to make a difference, a part of which is to commit himself for a generation of student-athletes (four years).
In the final analysis, Lane Kiffin was none of these, a bad hire.
Mike Hamilton should quickly reassess his metrics. The improbable impact of a few recruits fades to a dot in this analysis, notwithstanding myopic media hysteria. Another bad hire and any objective assessment shows him the door.

newportvol writes:

Will Muschamp: 7 Years 21 Million Dollars Has no out to leave for Texas or Georgia.. accourding to Tony Basillo

volsn3 writes:

WATCH THE KIPPY BROWN PRESS CONFERENCE VEDIO ON HERE....I AM TELLING YA VOL FANS...JUST WATCH ....THEN LOOK AT WHO WE ARE GOING AFTER TOMMORROW OR WHENEVER....HE SOLD ME....TRUE VOL...AND HE CAN BRING IN A LOT OF HELP....WHY NOT BRING BACK COACH C. FOR THE DEFENSE....WHAT ABOUT BILL BATES FOR SPECIAL TEAMS....IS THERE A PLACE FOR AL WILSON ON THIS STAFF....LETS BLEED ORANGE VOL FANS....I DO....ANOTHER FLY BY NIGHT COACH WILL TURN HIS BACK ON US..BOBBY PETRINO STYLE MAYBE NEXT TIME

golfballs03 writes:

in response to volsn3:

Good thoughts. But beware becoming inbred.
National searches, done properly, work elsewhere - in academia and business - so be careful not to throw out baby with bath water. The issue may be that the national searches are not done properly.
Today Mike Hamilton said he'd have a coach in three days ... where else is a leader of consequence determined so quickly? One could perhaps select a bagger at the grocery in three days (no disrespect to baggers intended).