Apparel store owner: Kiffin T-shirts heading to Haiti

Mitzi Sherill is the manager of the Hound Dogs store on Kingston Pike and explained that the store had no Kiffin items.

Photo by J. Miles Cary

Lane Kiffin t-shirts for charity

KNOXVILE - Don't burn that shirt, Vol fans - send it to someone who needs it.

In the wake of University of Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin's unexpected resignation, some fans have apparently taken to burning Kiffin-related T-shirts. But Dan Burks, co-owner of the West Knoxville apparel store Hound Dogs, has a better idea.

Burks said Wednesday that any customer who brings in an "It's Time" T-shirt can get 20 percent off the purchase of a new shirt. Burks said he'll ship the old shirts to Haiti, which was devastated by an earthquake on Tuesday.

The merchant - whose accountant just returned from a mission trip to Haiti - said he had seen comments on a chat board from angry fans who were interested in burning shirts. Burks said he felt pretty bad when he went to bed last night, but news of the natural disaster "puts it in perspective for me."

More details as they develop online and in Thursday's News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Moaninglikeheck writes:

Why would we do such a vile thing to those poor Earthquake victims?

kb7398#233189 writes:

This is an excellent idea. A better one would've been to never get rid of Fulmer and donate clothing, food, medical supplies and money to Haiti.

oldTNrock writes:

Excellent idea... in the wake of a natural disaster there is dire need for the essentials, such as toilet paper.

badkarma01 writes:

I am sure they can find it as proper toilet paper

shoelessvol#236864 writes:

Not going to burn my shirt. However, somebody owes my $20.00 for the two "Lane Train" T's I bought. Maybe Hamilton can buy them back with the $800,000 buy-out.

chad_t31 writes:

I wish I'd have thought of that. Sorry about that haitians but I burned mine in the backyard last night.

Tabasco_VOL writes:

I was wondering what to do with these stupid "Lane Train" shirts (I've got three)! I wish we could collect every single UT-Kiffin item in existence and have Fed-EX drop em off at USC's front office. I'd love to see that report on ESPN.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

Great cause and good for Hound Dogs! I go there several times a year when I come back to visit Knoxville. We need more business owners like Dan Burkes! Go Vols

volpreacher writes:

in response to kb7398#233189:

If they were to hire Fulmer back I would sell all of my UT stuff and cheer for Vandy.

pastor_VOLSfan writes:

Nice idea! However, if you still need to vent here is my idea. Either package up the shirts and mail them to Mike Hamilton with the message "It's time to get it right!" or mail them to Lane's new office at USC. I personally am trying to figure out which path would make me feel a little better.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Moaninglikeheck:

Why would we do such a vile thing to those poor Earthquake victims?

Why would you do such a vile thing as returning to this site?

huntined#565710 writes:

Now that is a good idea to send them some shirts when you think about what they are going thru losing our coach seems small!!

Flyfisherman writes:

Very commendable, but I doubt if even the Haitians would wear Kiffen's shirt...

Volfan1 writes:

Need to send them to the al-qaeda. They would be appropriate on them.....and our boys in service could destroy them. The proverbial "killing two birds with one stone" at it's best!

No seriously, Haiti is a noble idea.

biancasdaddy2005 writes:

If they Hire Fulmer back Ill pull for a junior college somewhere in bufu the last 7 years he was there i could tell you the exact play they would run and basiclly tell you everything before it happened and everyone who watched the games can tell you im telling the truth!!! Help the children out with the shirts but DONT make another mistake UT and put him back in heck you Finally got rid of him after trying for years!!!