Patterson denies he has talked to Vols

This Oct. 31, 2009 file photo shows TCU head coach Gary Patterson, center, smiling in the second half of an NCAA college football game against UNLV in Fort Worth, Texas. TCU's Gary Patterson was voted The Associated Press College Football Coach of the Year for leading the Horned Frogs to a perfect regular season and their first BCS appearance.

AP Photo / Mike Stone, File

FORT WORTH, Texas — TCU football coach Gary Patterson denied reports Wednesday that he has talked to Tennessee officials about the school's head coaching vacancy.

Patterson, who is routinely mentioned as a possible candidate for coaching jobs around the country, said neither he nor his agent has spoken to Tennessee officials after the announcement that Lane Kiffin is leaving the Vols for the Southern California coaching job.

"Same thing happened last year with Kansas State," said Patterson, who had to deal with erroneous reports that he was headed to his alma mater.

TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte met with Patterson after hearing reports that Tennessee officials might try to woo his football coach.

"You know how rumors are this time of year," Del Conte said.

Patterson, who led the Horned Frogs to their first BCS bowl game and a 12-1 record, in early December signed a contract extension through 2016. But the contract is nonbinding and there is no penalty if Patterson decides to coach elsewhere.

___

(c) 2010, Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Visit the Star-Telegram on the World Wide Web at http://www.star-telegram.com.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Related Stories

Stark_Vol writes:

on to the next one...

volfaninutah writes:

The article actually says: no talks have taken place... He did not say he has turned it down... So maybe he is still open to it.

volsfan74 writes:

Knox News is so mis-leading! Correct me if I'm wrong but Patterson said nothing to suggest he wasn't interested. He just simply said he nor his agent have spoke to UT about the job.

Punt_Formation_Leaverton writes:

change the title!!!! Completely misleading

A non-binding contract? Sounds like an awesome opportunity for us to step in

sfrye#268517 writes:

It just says there is no Tennessee talk to this point. All of them will listen. We need to do our homework. Then just pull the trigger. Make sure he is the only one you have offered and have your priorities right. It will all work itself out. Go Vols.

baldfan writes:

i don't think we could go wrong with Patterson. if anything else, he will have integrity.

tedstryker1980 writes:

The last coach that came from TCU to the SEC was Dennis Franchione. His tenure as HC at Alabama was a total debacle. He also had great success at TCU. I hope we do not get Patterson for multiple reasons. I am a lifelong Vol fan but also a TCU alum.

volsfan74 writes:

I like the potential of Patterson and the Texas recruiting ties. I know I'm being repeating myself but I am still puzzled how Knox News interprets "I haven't spoken to any one about the job" as Patterson say's "NO"

volsfan74 writes:

The more I think about this situation the more I realize that Pete Carroll is a weasel, Lane Kiffin is a weasel, Ed Orgeron is a weasel and yes Monte is too. All of these Coaches turned their back on the Universities without an apology. Classless Jerks. Pete Carroll I hope you fail once again in the NFL, Lane Kiffin will be coaching at El Camino Community College in a few years, Ed you will be selling cars down in the Bayou and Monte well I guess you will be a spokes person for AARP and still taking credit for the defense success at Tampa when in reality Tony Dungy was the key in assembling the players that you had success with. Anyway Good Luck.

bigfan writes:

Patterson can stay

VolInIndy writes:

Isn't someone going to rip the TCU AD for signing a coach to an extension without a huge buyout clause like many are doing Hamilton for only have an 800K one with Kiffin.

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to baldfan:

I think you are correct. I would like to see us get him. Whoever we get, VolNation may need to be patient for 2 or 3 years. A lot of damage has been done. We need to get the right guy and let him rebuild.