Sources say Orgeron telling UT enrollees not to go to class

Tennessee's mid-term enrollees. (Click to enlarge)

Tennessee's mid-term enrollees. (Click to enlarge)

Former Tennessee recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron has contacted multiple UT mid-term enrollees and encouraged them not to attend class today so that they can easily leave UT and enroll at Southern California, multiple sources told the News Sentinel.

Orgeron, who joined USC's staff when Lane Kiffin was hired as coach on Tuesday, did not immediately return a text message from the News Sentinel seeking comment.

By attending class today, the nine mid-term enrollees, who have been at UT since Monday, would have to follow strict transfer rules, which include sitting out a year.

It is unclear how many, or which, prospects Orgeron contacted.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Punt_Formation_Leaverton writes:

Stay Classy, Ed.

livinginknoxnow writes:

Man, remember long ago when Ed was telling them not to enroll at Florida because Urbie wasn't going to be there next year?

Cromptons1Cuz writes:

Smith is going to LSU.Miller's dad said he was glad Kiffin made the announcement tonight because his son was supposed to begin classes today. Not now!
The timing suggests a conspiracy!
These coaches are a disgrace!

andy112382#209793 writes:

This kind of stuff should be against the rules, classless move of a snake in the grass.

By the way, weren't O and Lane there when Reggie Bush was recruited to USC? Fitting they may be about ready to get slammed about that.

The_Greater_Pumpkin writes:

Make sure you have booze on your breath when you ask them dirt-bag!

mborovol writes:

wow

d_ray writes:

This should be a NCAA infraction....but since USC is already in trouble with the NCAA....Ed doesn't care.

To all the mid-term enrollees ...man up and keep your word to Tennessee. You won't regret it. UT fans are the best in the nation and the facilities are unmatched. An added plus .... this is Peyton Manning's hangout in off season and he comes to every game he can. You know Peyton? The only pro football player to be named MVP four times.

notavol133 writes:

fire isn't hot until it burns you personally.

BigOrangeScrew writes:

This is going to be bad in soooooo many ways. This class is destroyed. If we get 10 recruits to sign, I'll be shocked. Kiffin has crippled this program for YEARS to come. Normally, I would be embarrassed at the public reaction tonight but honestly, I don't care. This is one step above a death penalty for our program and one of the most two-faced back-stabingest moves I've ever seen in college sports. I can't really think of anything like this.

Cromptons1Cuz writes:

“It’s going to have huge implications,” said Barton Simmons, Rivals.com’s Southeastern recruiting analyst. “Lane Kiffin and (defensive coordinator) Monte Kiffin were the main reasons why a lot of were the main reasons why a lot of these players wanted to go to UT. It’s crazy.”
Simmons said he spoke with wide receiver Markeith Ambles, a UT commitment from McDonough, Ga., who is a highly regarded four-star recruit.
“Ambles told me he was going to take a wait-and-see approach,” Simmons said.
It doesn’t appear UT fans will get the same response from Jacques Smith, a UT commitment who is regarded by multiple recruiting services as the state’s top prospect for the 2010 class. Smith, who is from the Chattanooga suburb of Ooltewah, told Rivals.com that he wants to go to LSU now.

*Oh for the days when Crompton was our biggest gripe!
I am sick to my stomach!

Lean_and_Hungry writes:

If the students have signed a letter of intent, and if Coach O has an agreement in principle with USC to be a coach, then it is against the rules.

ThugTillIDie writes:

Marlon Brown's gradma was right. Orgeron is a snake.

Moesart writes:

USC Stays in the Gutter by Hiring Kiffin

Cromptons1Cuz writes:

God help us! We need some more Peytons who play for the love of the game.These coaches used the University.Adultery is what it is!
Fire Hamiliton!

d_ray writes:

in response to BigOrangeScrew:

Are you a closet Florida fan? Way to cheer up new recruits and real Vol fans. Jerk!

BigOrangeScrew writes:

If J. Smith wants out, they all want out. This might be the first recruiting class ohfer in history.

bullit writes:

When is the NCAA going to step in and put in rules against this type of actions? A coach can destroy a football team and just take off when the heat is on and get a better job. The school is left in the wake to suffer the consequences. The only ones who can stop it are the ones enabling it. Just like Bobby Knight said, 'There is no integrity in college sports' and until the people running it has integrity, the the coaches surely don't need it. I'm tiring of the Carroll's and Kiffen's of the sports world.

volsfan4ever writes:

I hope for nothing but the worst for kiffin and his family.This is the most underhanded moves I have ever seen.Ed orgeron can go to h-ll!This will destroy the football program.Mike Hamilton must be fired!Our recruiting class is history!

BigOrangeScrew writes:

in response to d_ray:

Oh, right, sorry. I should keep it up beat. Have you seen that virtually the entire class has ALREADY decommitted. Maybe we can salvage 5 or 6 guys. There, positivity at it's finest.

us43137415#376444 writes:

in response to d_ray:

Amen, brother!

To the recruits:
These coaches are scumbags.. do you want to play for coaches that talk out of both sides of their mouths? Do you want to play on a team about to be slapped by the NCAA? Do you think these coaches have allegiance to you and USC?

Think long and hard about it.

If you like playing crooked ball, take a hike.

But if you like playing quality, heads-up ball, in the number one football conference in the country..

Excuse me. Let me say that again.

THE NUMBER ONE FOOTBALL CONFERENCE IN THE COUNTRY...

stay here.. you won't regret it.

Hermione writes:

Orgeron is a crook along with his pal, Lame, and his dad.

All I can say is good riddance to bad rubbish - all of them.

JohnsonCity_George writes:

Come on guys. Peace out. We got hosed and we need to get behind the players we have. You know what, they are part of our family now because daddy just ran off with his girlfriend and his daddy was driving the car.

OrangePsyched writes:

Recruits are as rash as we are. They are just lashing out right now. If we do this right by making the right hire there is 3 wks left to recuit these kids back. The early enrollees are another story. I will keep the faith until I see the next hire.

volunteer44 writes:

in response to Cromptons1Cuz:

Fire Hamiliton!

I agree we do need more players who love the game. But what is all the talk about firing hamilton. Hamilton brought in Bruce Pearl. He made Tennessee basketball exciting and fun to watch. We just beat the #1 team in the nation with a packed Thompson Boiling. Remember the Kevin O'Neil years and Buzz Ball. C'mon now, Kiffin did this. He sold us out for his dream job. Too bad he doesn't know that USC is going under for Carroll's violations.If we get Jon Gruden or Muschamp we can salvage this program.

USCJohn1999 writes:

I honestly didn't think a coach would sink this low for players, but I guess I was wrong. I don't know why Coach O would want to cripple Tennessee like this. Tennessee welcomed him and his family with open arms and this is how he repays them?

jack_2222#231746 writes:

LSU and John Chavis are a good safe bet for Smith. Two coaches he commits to at UT before he ever attends a class. A little security gotta sound good to him.

Were any instate? Wouldn't be surprised if they lost them all.

deakinbi writes:

They say that Ed what the straw that stirred the cocktail of Lane and Monte...tonight he is the straw that broke the A.D.'s back. What a lack of professionalism and maturity.

798orange writes:

in response to volsfan4ever:

No need to freak out like everyone else, getting the right coach who shows some loyalty is much more important than this year's recruits. If Hamilton is a little smarter this time and gets the right guy many of those young men will still come.

BustaRhymes writes:

Orgeron, you sir, have no class. I am glad that you and your little Kiffy boy are no longer part of my school.

To all of you recruits out there wondering whether you should show up tomorrow - take a look at our school and its history - check out where we rank in bowl appearances and all time bowl wins. This program is not "just as good as USC," we're better.

Also consider, Kiffin's best year as a coach is 7-5. He's an unproven punk - and there's no guarantee that he won't flame out at USC and end up as the next head coach at Fresno State.

Go to class, become a Vol and you'll have 100+ yelling in support of you come opening day next year.

FWBVol writes:

If the kid is enrolled at UT waiting for the first day of classes, this is nothing short of Southern Cal coaches tampering with kids that have signed with another school, and I know that is a NCAA violation.

joseph_kibler#212421 writes:

notavol133 writes:

so when everyone said lane was without class and and there was no limit to the things he would do to serve his own purposes, everyone else was stupid or jealous?
just checking.
at least it all makes sense.
essentially, you got behind the terrell owens of coaches. there are good fans and the blind.

volsfan4ever writes:

in response to 798orange:

Unless they hire Muschamp or Bo Pelinni within the next couple days our class will tank...I still love UT,but the timing of this couldn't be worse.

pridebone writes:

Fulmer may have been losing ground, but he NEVER would have done something so intentionally awful to tear down this program. If we remember, 2 seasons after his first losing season, he has us back to 10 wins. We reap what we sow. Disloyalty for Disloyalty.

volatil writes:

in response to USCJohn1999:

not to mention paid him 600,000 to be a D-line coach.

ermsports#220184 writes:

OK, part of me wants to laugh because I'm a Bama fan but as someone who has been through this more than once in the past decade, this too shall pass.

I believe that UT is better off without these guys. They've shown what mercenaries they are and Orgeron is a complete meathead. He will obliterate any rule to land a recruit. Had this staff stayed, it would've resulted in much more trouble 3 years from now than it's caused today.

Although he tried hard with all the secondary violations and recruiting thugs, its doubtful Kiffin and staff could do much permanent damage in one year.

I find it ironic when Kiffin was taking shots from the media about his Meyer comments and all the secondary violations, Vol fans stampeded to his defense with all of the "we're scaring them" mantra. Obviously now it's clear to Vol fans, as it was to everyone else when it was happening, that Kiffin was just showing his true colors.

Good luck UT.

TNVOL4LIFE09 writes:

speechless...i was mad when i heard the news that Kiffin and Co. were leaving and then when I heard about them trying to take players already enrolled at UT away? That's just....there's no word to describe it...so low and vile. I hope these coaches get what they deserve. I wish I could have been there in Knoxville tonight to take part in the "riot". Kudos to Coach Kippy Brown for not jumping ship and staying with the university..At least we have one class act coach. I really hope the fans rally around this team next year and cheer louder and harder than they ever have before..these players deserve it after what they just had to go through. I bet Eric Berry is glad he opted for the NFL.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

One thing I know is that if I were one of these recruits who had committed and I decided to renege on my pledge at the request of someone like Orgeron, my father would have torn me a new @$$hole. So many of these kids have parents with no grasp on how to teach these kids about honor, integrity, and accountability. Thank goodness for people like Wes Brown (who apparently walked out of the meeting before Kiffin was done talking). I'd love to know who the other players were that went with Brown. Those are the kids who won't listen to B.S. and give their all for their teammates and their school. Those are the ones we need, not the self-serving pr!cks that are bailing on us right now.

AncientVol writes:

The University should give Hamilton about 20 minutes to clean out his office and get his butt off campus. Then the UT trustees should ascertain whether legal action of any type is feasible, especially regarding outgoing coaches trying to re-direct recruits who were developed during a time when the coaches were employed at UT and using UT facilities and funds in connection with such recruiting. I predict that attorneys will become involved some way.

firehamilton writes:

in response to pridebone:

Couldn't Agree more!!!! Fire Hamilton!!!

SeanJean writes:

F@<k you Lane. F@<k you Orgeron. You're all scum. You are ruining young men's lives. Young men who trusted you to come attend your university and put their future in your hands. Your lying hands. You'll get yours.

kman29 writes:

unfortunatly this is what many had been telling Vol fans would happen. It was quite clear from the begining that there was no intergity with Kiffin or Orgeron. Most Vol fans labeled it as others being "scared of the Lane Train", when in fact it was more of watching an arrogant a** run his mouth as if he had actually acomplished something.

I have to believe at least some of you had your doubts about these clowns when Kiffin was running his mouth left and right with lie after lie.

Hopefully Tennessee will find a better coach who will represent the SEC better than what Kiffin did. In the mean time just from the outside looking in, I do not know how UT is going to fix this mess and salvage their recruits. Kiffin literally set the UT program back 5 years IMO.

WinkeyVol writes:

I can't believe that Orgeron has the audacity to assume that the recruits would leave Tennessee to move 2500 miles just to follow a bunch of classless,lying,selfish bums that they are.Southern boys ain't that stupid.

pritch421 writes:

why is everyone calling for Hamilton's job? Most of us were willing to take a risk on kiffin just like he was. I mean, going into the coach search with Crompton as qb, if you were to say we will have a coach that will give the reigning national champions a 10 point game and have a field goal to beat the future national champions, then we would all have hired him, just as Hamilton did. Let us not forget so quickly that Hamilton was the one that hired Bruce Pearl which put our men's basketball program on the map basically out of nothing. kiffin was just a bad apple. It wasn't Hamilton's fault.

cdonsbach writes:

Orgeron called a bunch of kids, but fortunately none of them could understand a word he was saying.

paul5170 writes:

Scout list these recuits as already signing their LOI.

AncientVol writes:

1) Fire Hamilton
2) Call an emergency meeting of the UT Trustees and Univ. top officials
3) Hire a first-rate law firm
4) Have Kippy get on the phone with all recruits and prospects.
5) Ask respected people, like Peyton, to make some public statements praising the UT football program and traditions.

volfisher writes:

Went from love to hate for the drunk.

WoodshedVol writes:

in response to pridebone:

I did not fire Fulmer, nor did I hire Kiffin. Hamilton did. Point your disloyalties toward HIM. Point them at the "brillant, rich, powerladen, alumni/dignataries in the "I'm better than you" seats. Follow that money and you will find the Turd.

Thad123 writes:

A person from the board here told me Will Muschamp is probably our next coach after doing checking around( internet) it looks like this could be the case. Maybe by tomorrow.