Phillip Fulmer says he's not seeking UT job

Feels 'embarrassment' as UT fan

Former UT head football coach Phillip Fulmer said he does not want to be considered for the head coaching position that has come open after Lane Kiffin's resignation.

Photo by Lauren Spuhler

"Recent events have been painful and an embarrassment to all of us who care about UT."

Phillip Fulmer

Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer said he is not seeking the Tennessee coaching job.

Fulmer made the statement this morning in a release from CBS Sports for whom Fulmer has worked as a football commentator since his firing from UT following the 2008 season.

“I am not seeking to be a candidate for the head coaching position,” Fulmer is quoted as saying.

In the release, he also talks about sharing the sense of embarrassment UT fans feel over the situation with the football program.

The release:

“Over the last 24 hours I have been contacted by friends, great fans and media members, and I feel it is important to comment, as a man who loves the University of Tennessee deeply and shares this love with millions of great Volunteer fans and friends.

“Recent events have been painful and an embarrassment to all of us who care about UT. I love the University; I am loyal to my alma mater and am ready to help as the University makes one of the most important decisions in the history of our football program. However, to prevent any misunderstanding, I am not seeking to be a candidate for the head coaching position.

“I am looking forward to embracing the next coach and have some strong beliefs about the kind of man he should be. He must embrace Tennessee’s culture and traditions, be mature and of good character, and demonstrate integrity and leadership to our young men who desperately want to be shown the way. He must deserve, earn and keep the trust of our young men -- both present and future.

“Tennessee football has been successful for so many years because it has been rooted in values and traditions. We can’t take those values for granted – if we do not guard them carefully, we will lose them.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

CRFVols writes:

True class. However his career may have ended up or what he did....Coach Phil Fulmer is a man of true class and more so than anyone here who will post negative things....he truly loves UT and bleeds orange and white.

mdvol writes:

Translation.......

The OPPOSITE of Lane "Liar" Kiffin.

rockytopatl writes:

Sounds like he is keeping his options open to become the AD if these trustees go off like a loose cannon.

chad_t31 writes:

Well said.

mdvol writes:

Integrity, Class and Character never go out of style.

bkgunter writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

14 months of Kiffie, and the trustees are loose cannons ? That's rich.

roloyo writes:

Translation: I ain't gotta chance in hell.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Not sure I believe him about not wanting the job. His well chosen words were well though out.

iowa_vol writes:

We need to move forward and not continue to talk about Coach Fulmer or Coach Cutcliffe. While they both gave many great years to the University, we need to find a new direction. Coach Fulmer's desires for the program are dead on. Perhaps he will have the opportunity to return soon...as Hammy's replacement.

Pullingguard writes:

Fulmer a true Vol and UT dedicated supporter. Kiffin a renegade looking and lying his way to a coaching position that was in the back of his mind when he came to UT.... Question... How would you like to be under the pressure that Hamilton is today... Its make or break time for him.

spcw101#621225 writes:

You see this is exactly why Fulmer should have been made AD when he left as coach. He can look someone in the eye and tell if they are going to be loyal to the University. He has shown great class and continues to do so in his statement. Those of us who grew up around UT football and know it's traditions appreicate someone with his integrety.

DallasVolsFan writes:

He said that he is "not seeking to be a candidate for the head coaching position." But he did not say anything about the AD position. Sounds like he knows something that we don't!

MidTennVol writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

That's exactly my read, friend. Some of us are waiting for a palace coup: Fulmer replaces Hamilton as AD and brings in his friend Cutcliffe as HC. I wouldn't mind Fulmer at all as AD but Cut doesn't excite me as HC, as we've seen that movie and we would lose Chaney, Garza, Cregg and Thompson. Cut can't bring in better than those guys.

Fulmer remembers the Dickey model. Just depends on how many trustees want it. And look at the Nebraska Callahan mess of a few years ago...

Stranger things have happened.

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

Bob Stoops will be the VOLS next head coach. This will be done by Friday afternoon jmho.

vol88 writes:

in response to mdvol:

Translation.......

The OPPOSITE of Lane "Liar" Kiffin.

You said it mdvol.

drone#208075 writes:

Well let's look at this. We've had our Mike Price (let's bring the whole family in for the feast) & Dennis Fanchione (I'm leaving immediately for my dream job) rolled into one. It's late in the game. Let's not hire a Mike Shula or pull an unethical USC move. If the players HAD faith in the coach formerly known as Lane Kiffin, then they should have faith in his latest hire Kippy Brown. A man who opted not to tuck & run to the soon to be destroyed mecca of USC. So why not run with what we have in place and build off that. Shows even more charater on our part. Sometimes the best things in life are already in your own backyard.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Seems like Sumlin at Houston has a good resume. Anybody know if he's been contacted?

GreensboroVol writes:

I wonder what Johnny Majors thinks of all this given how he and Kiffin were becoming best friends? Honestly, I don't think it matters who is hired next, I think we are going to "wonder in the desert" like Alabama did for so long. Apparently we aren't all that we think we are on a national stage.

utfpmd writes:

Fulmer for AD!!!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to drone#208075:

I think his stock is growing by the hour

SCIENCETCHR writes:

Coach Fulmer:
As any have said, you are a class act. I can Fully Appreciate the pain you felt after your Inglorious Dismissal. Believe me, I have been there myself! 36 years of loyalty, and tossed out like a dirty towel. I'm hoping you will be our next A.D.
Keep the faith, and good things will come your way.

mdvol writes:

in response to ChurchHillVol67:

That's obviously a joke but it makes me wonder....

If we snag another program's HC, we are going to feel the wrath and look just as bad as what USC/Kiffin did.

SCIENCETCHR writes:

My last post should have read: Many instead of Any.

BrewerTL writes:

Fulmer would make a great AD, IMHO. Hamilton is hanging by a thread. If he doesn't hit a home run with this hire, he's done.

Unrelated, but how did Paul Finebaum get any credibility? I watched a little of OTL on ESPN yesterday. After a couple of comments from that moron, the host just started ignoring him. I know the state of Alabama's not exactly the pinnacle of reason or education, but SURELY folks down there are smart enough to see through THAT pile of dung!

DC_Vol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Which Doctor who would you like to see as Tennessee's new coach? We really need a coach who understands the importance of recruiting at Tennessee as well as great developer of talent? We really had improvements in both areas under Kiffin and I am concerned that Hamiliton is rushing the coaching selection process? I understand we need to provide someone quickly to keep other recruits from leaving but we need to be careful who we choose because they will be here for several years.

allntl1#565211 writes:

in response to GreensboroVol:

I wonder what Coach Majors thought about the way his replacement usurped him? Karma sucks. I never heard Coach Majors say anything other than the team he would have had that year was his second National Championship team.

iowavol writes:

Coach, thanks for those words. You remain a class act. I do kind of wish you were in the running for AD. Hamilton has been a test program gone awry. We need a Volunteer Heart like yours in the front office.

BTW, anyone see Kiffens comments in paper today? Said he vows to run a clean program and not repeat the mistakes made at Tennessee - then says it was all part of the plan to get attention there and you don't need to do that at USC. Classic - a top notch liar par excellence. Al Davis was right - dang what an oxymoron.

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to mdvol:

That's obviously a joke but it makes me wonder....

No joke md. Several sites are reporting that Tennessee will hire a person who is already a HC and that it will shock ppl more than Weasel leavin.

whiskeyman writes:

Phillip Fulmer should be the AD (not HC). I said that when Bozo was elevated. Phillip possesses the DNA for that job. Go get him Trustees, before another major hiring mistake is made by this Bozo.

rkastens writes:

There was a lot more said in this statement than simply the words on this "page." I can't say I disagree with him at all.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Eh hem. You are a funny little man.

tmartin writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Is WD an editor for KNS? Is he hinting at something here???

VirginiaVolunteer writes:

in response to male1stclass#462989:

correction to that...I couldn't even get an interview at Memphis or Louisville so I don't want to get my feelings hurt again. I understand that I was one of the worst coaches in college football the last 8 years.

kd45music writes:

I would be relieved if Coach Fulmer became the AD. As for Kiffin, the west coast is not far enough away from Tennessee.

balloonman writes:

I liked Mike Hamiton...Mike Hamitlon was a friend of mine....then he lucked in to the AD job and he appointed himself a genius....made promises he would not keep.....remind you of anyone?
WD.....how'd that visit with the X go?....she had you gaged there for a bit!

The_Mayor writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Just as a refresher, in case you've forgotten me, I posted this on 2/14/2009.

Nah, I don't think there's anything at all dumb about CLK. He's had my full support since day 1, and this coming from someone who also gave Fulmer full support until day 0. I am for UT...period. That said, CLK started at the top of my opinion mountain (and I fully realize he doesn't care what my opinion is of him). If he should slide down that mountain, it is and will be his doing. If he should stay on top of that mountain, it is and will be his doing. I am a straight shooter. I am a little leary of signs I am seeing as they relate to charachter. I cannot emphasize enough that my priority is the University of Tennessee. I am CAUTIOUS as to whether or not CLK's priority is the same, or if his highest priority is himself. Time will tell, and I hope he puts a world class program in Neyland this fall...and many falls to come.

BrassMonkey writes:

Calhoun is the next coach. Hamilton was in Denver not with corporate sponsors, but meeting with Calhoun the day Kiffin left because he already knew Kiffin was gone. Oh yeah how about this post by me from November 8th about Fulmer....

He can come put Tennessee back together after Kif the Bozo destroys it and heads elsewhere. Nice first class of recruits, and what a horrible overall and season record.

badkarma01 writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

Slap yourself on the back...you can probably get a job on this website reporting...

VirginiaVolunteer writes:

You people are unbelievable. Why is what Lane did so wrong. Coaches all have a dream job...USC was his. When Mike Hamilton hired him of course he didn't know that the USC job would open up so soon. Pete Carroll looked as if he would be there another 10 years at least. If that had been the case then Lane would still be in Knoxville putting together a top 3 recruiting class. Everyone of you that hate him now...loved him this time last week. Sometimes you need to look at things on the personal level...not only as it pertains to your schools athletic program. Tennessee is not a top 5 job in America. Cincinnati, at the present time is a better job than Tennessee...so are you guys also mad because Coach Kelly bolted to Notre Dame before their bowl game. Good Luck Lane in the future at your "Dream Job". Some of us Tennessee supporters thank you for putting our school back on the map!!!

Vols05 writes:

Well said coach! We will survive!

hookkick writes:

Well said coach.

3volfan writes:

BUD FOSTER!!!!!!!!! give him a chance, look what his defense just did to us 2 weeks ago. nuff said. he's ready, if we are going the promoting a coordinator route.

hookkick writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Stoops or Edsall. I would be concerned about Stoops buying into Tennessee and not certain if he would bolt in the middle of the night if UM did not return to Florida.

Goosfraba writes:

I still don't think Fulmer is the man we need as head coach. I do feel bad about how he was bashed on here a year ago. He deserves better. I stopped being a believer in his coaching around 02 or 03. So I think it might be in UT's best interest to hire him as AD. I believe he would make a better hire than Mike Hamilton. Kiffin had potential to make us champs and I believe he would have if he'd stayed for a few more years. Hamilton has dollar signs in his eyes though. All he seems to care about is championships and money. But if it takes someone like Kiffin to get us there, is it really worth it? Fulmer did it without lieing, trash talking, and whatever else Kiffin was doing behind the scenes. I hope UT hires a young coach that has the work ethic that Kiffin did but not the morals. Tennessee needs a fire ball coach that still has some integrity to go along with it. I really hope people see through Kiffin's lies now and Kiffin learns his lesson. Kiffin doesn't deserve to be successful after all he has done. Maybe when he grows up and looks back on all this he will learn how to treat people. Until then I hope for the next few years USC struggles to even make it to a bowl! Go Vols and I hope and pray there's a coach out there to help our University to get through this.

roloyo writes:

in response to whiskeyman:

Phatboy couldn't even hire an OC. How in the hell is he is qualified to hire a HC?

hueypilot writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

I like Calhoun and have been touting him since before Kiffin last year. My only reservation is his experience at Wake Forest and more importantly AF Academy has not exposed him to some of the more free spirits we currently have on our roster. Having all your players in the dorm at mandatory study hall every night is on the opposite end of the spectrum from having your boyz cruising convenience stores at 3 am and packing heat and weed in a girlfriend's borrowed rent a car. I'm sure Calhoun would have some thoughts about that and I hope he is realistic. Otherwise, I think he'd be a good hire.

I also like the guy from Oregon. I married a girl from New Hampshire, 39 years ago, and she liked Tennessee just fine, said East Tennessee reminded her of New England. So there you have it.

bigorange61 writes:

Witch Doctor, have you infiltrated any USC boards yet to mess with their fans?

Good to see you posting. If Orgeron tries to recruit you, we're declaring war.

Moaninglikeheck writes:

Things happen for a reason.
There will be no hard feelings with the next coach hired. He will openly reach out to Fulmer, and Fulmer will be receptive. It is happening quicker than I expected, but one way or another Fulmer will be "back in the fold"...the way it should be.

Fulmer's legacy won't be rewritten by the haters and JTM crotch sniffers. He will sooner or later be appointed AD and balance on the Hill will once again be restored...much to the chagrin of the idiots who have made it their mission to poison UT football with mercenaries and hired guns instead of loyal Volunteers.

Mr_Brownstone writes:

like it or not, it's going to be kirk ferentz - book it.

just like the last hire of lane, don't follow the media smoke. last year butch davis was initially mentioned and then b. kelly was all but a done deal. hammy used that as a smoke screen and is doing the same now with muschamp, patterson, etc. (flying to texas)

Moaninglikeheck writes:

And I have little doubt that rumors and inuendo will be whispered in dark corners over the coming years that Fulmer "stabbed Kiffin in the back" and orchestrated the whole affair...from Pete Carroll leaving USC down to the "Hostess-gate" debacle.

UT has learned a lesson. You sleep with Mongrels, you get fleas. But we'll be OK, eventually.