Kippy Brown jettisons Vols for Seahawks

Reaves, Cregg also leave coaching staff

Tennessee didn't waste anytime hiring a football coach. Likewise, the Vols didn't waste anytime molding the rest of their coaching staff.

After learning that Derek Dooley was hired from Louisiana Tech to take over the Vols late Friday, Kippy Brown accepted a position with the NFL's Seattle Seahawks, joining new coach Pete Carroll's staff.

It was Carroll's exit from Southern California that led to Lane Kiffin's departure from UT on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, quarterbacks coach David Reaves and offensive line coach James Cregg are no longer members of UT's coaching staff.

Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney, linebackers coach Lance Thompson and defensive backs coach Willie Mack Garza are the lone holdovers from Kiffin's staff.

Dooley declined to comment on staff moves when asked by the News Sentinel on Saturday.

Gunter Brewer, who served as Oklahoma State's offensive coordinator last season after sharing the job with Trooper Taylor the previous year, could be part of Dooley's staff. The Cowboys hired Houston offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen on Friday.

Brown, who was hired by Kiffin on Dec. 17 with the title of wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator, was named interim coach by athletic director Mike Hamilton as he began his search for a coach.

Brown was interviewed on Friday, however, Hamilton only acknowledged Friday that Dooley was interviewed for UT's vacancy.

"Well, I was told I am (a candidate)," Brown said Wednesday. "I think that I'm a legitimate candidate for the job, I do. And the reason I say that is I'm very confident in my ability to coach, to recruit, I've proven that when I was here before.

"I've coached at Tennessee on SEC championship teams, I've gone into out-of-state areas and brought back All-American recruits. I've been there and done that, and I feel confident in my ability to get it done. Yes, I think I'm a legitimate candidate."

Brown was slated to make $300,000 for the 2010 season. Reaves and Cregg would have been paid $150,000.

Reaves was hired from South Carolina to coach UT's quarterbacks and recruit areas in South Carolina and Florida.

It is unclear where Reaves is headed. Southern Cal is an obvious possibility considering he is Kiffin's brother-in-law. If Reaves was fired, UT will have to pay him his current salary and he could join the Trojans' staff as a graduate assistant.

The Vols used the same method with graduate assistant offensive line coach Mitch Browning last season. Browning coached for the Vols while being paid by Syracuse, which fired him before the 2009 season.

If Reaves is hired - and paid - elsewhere, UT would owe him the difference in his UT salary and whatever he would be paid in his next position.

The same applies to Cregg if he were fired. Cregg was hired by UT after a two-year stint with the Oakland Raiders.

Brown's third time on the UT staff was a short one. The Sweetwater native previously coached under Johnny Majors 1983-89 and 1993-94 as part of his 13-year college coaching career.

Brown is no stranger to the NFL having spent 13 years as an assistant coach.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jstrewh2#441076 writes:

I believe that Coach Dooley will put a good staff together and we may even see a guy or two come from Saban's staff. Bring on Rodney Gardner as DC or Co-DC with Lance Thompson. Jay Graham as Running Backs Coach! It will be a rough year next year but I believe Coach Dooley was the right hire and that he will lead us back to the promise land! Go Vols and Go Colts!

USNVOL writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Shutup and take your nonvol@ss to a different teams site,we have a new coach,support him or go away.
This is a vols site, not a non-vols site.

NWFlVOL writes:

awww damn man that blows!! well Kippy siad he would be open minded if someone else got the HC. Wonder why he is leaving? Unless it was UT that lied and knew they werent gonnna hire kippy in the first place. and Kippy got wind of it. that sucks I would have been happy to have Kippy at the helm. sure wish he had stayed as OC or something. Later Kip good luck.

JohnsonCity_George writes:

...poop!

Maverickman writes:

Kippy is just not a Tennessee guy, LOL The State run radio sheep jump all over what ever they feed ya, Reminds me of Obama giving a speech.

Volon writes:

Believe he had enough pride he had to leave when he realized he was "interviewed" after the job had been offered to Coach Dooley.

jsps writes:

We lost a valuable leader, recruiter, and a true member of the UT Family. Not to mention, one he1L of a great man of integrity. I guess Seattle will be rockin the Hawks in the next couple of years. Wish him the best, and he will be able to forgive the PTB or those positions will have changed hand. we can hire him a 4th time.

briartownvol writes:

He left to be with another Kiffin punk...all Vol I reckon.

rootin4volz writes:

in response to USNVOL:

This is a vols site, not a non-vols site.

Wow...Must suck to be you and to go through life looking at everything so negatively. All I can do is shake my head in pity. Mmm-mmm-mmm.

rootin4volz writes:

in response to USNVOL:

This is a vols site, not a non-vols site.

Sorry USNVOL...That was obviously aimed at Lilgunzz44.

Maverickman writes:

If Lame Had not hired Kippy, He would have never been brought up as Head coach, Just a Fact ya all!!! He did you like Lame, In the Middle of a huge recruiting weekend He Bolted for the Sea Hawks, He couldnt have waited two week help pull this class, I mean He's one of us right? ALL VOL grad from Memphis,

poppachuck writes:

Mike Hamilton slapped Kippy in the face by hiring Dooley whose resume is very pale when compared to Kippy. The Seahawks gain is the VOLS lost and disgrace for the way Kippy was treated. I still feel that the UT Football program was sat back 3 years by this hire.

NYvolFan writes:

his whole situation is a charade. For all you people thinking Kippy was shafted by Hamilton, I've got some nice ash property in Loudon County to sell you.

And I bet you also think Lyin Kiffin hasn't been on the phone at all with Pete Carroll. So...now we have Lyin' Kiffin AND Lyin' Kippy! Clearly this Seahawks deal was done. LOL...Mr. Loyal to Tennessee Kippy Brown. This was all a set-up, and Mike Hamilton was clearly on to it. THAT'S why Lyin' Kippy didn't get the nod.

Welcome Coach Dooley...with the 2 Lyin'K's and Reeves gone integrity now has a grip in Knoxville.

Go get an honest team to work with you, and best of luck! Go Big Orange! Thank God we don't have to pay-off Lyin' & Loyal Kippy...Good riddance

87UTVOL writes:

No offense to Kippy, I wish him well. But, if we offered to keep him as receivers coach, he got exactly what he was promised back in Dec.

That being said, Kippy has never shown a commitment to the college game. He's an NFL guy. He was out of work when we hired him and didn't get the Memphis head coaching job when Tommy West was let go. So, somehow, and I know he has a history here, he's supposed to get the receivers coach job, then head coach when Kiffy bolts? That doesn't add up.

Plus, he could have waited a couple of weeks to help out, even if it was just on campus. But, see above re: the reason he shouldn't be disappointed in not getting the HC job and why he's never shown that he's really interested in the college game, at Tennessee or anywhere else.

Here's hoping CDD is able to put a good staff together. I mean geez, the amount we paid Monte along would hire a 2-3 big time assistants.

vols2#227315 writes:

BE funny if Brown filed a discreminating suit against UT hiring practices.

vol94 writes:

in response to 87UTVOL:

Exactly. He was hired to coach receivers, not to be the head coach. Then Kiffin bolted to USC and Kippy starts saying he is qualified for the job yet will stay at UT even if they bring someone else in. Then he has a job offer 12 hours after UT's announcement? He was already talking to Pete and had his mind made up to leave if he was not announced head coach of UT.

In my opinion, Kippy was not the correct choice and would have shown desperation if we hired him. You don't go from WR coach to head coach.

volfan4betterorworse writes:

Didn't he say he would like to have the hc job,if not that he would like to stay and coach if they would have him,,either he was fired or he lied no two ways about that. Looks like to me he lied ,DD did say he would keep whoever wanted to stay didn't he?

wayoutwill writes:

If I read this correctly,it means that cutty would not come to the Vols because we wanted to keep three assi. coaches,if he couldn't bring that much compromise into the head coaching job here,then we really didn't need him at any price.

RegentVol writes:

It is no coincidence that Kippy went to the Seahawks. I guarantee you Kiffin suggested it to Carroll. There is no way Kippy was fired either. The answer = MONEY. I have nothing against Kippy Brown, but it is best that he is gone. This really does come down to who wants to be part of the Tennessee family, and he obviously does not

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Kippy just said Wed. that he wanted to stay on with whoever was hired, because he was a TN guy and was loyal. Two days later he had another job lined up and was packing his bags for a 3rd time to leave the school he's so loyal too.
Not impressed.

BSweet writes:

in response to USNVOL:

This is a vols site, not a non-vols site.

First, he didn't even mention Coach Dooley, so how do you know if he supports him or not? He's obviously refering to Hamilton. Second, who gave you the power to decide who is and who isn't a Vol fan? We all want what's best for the team, we just have different opinions on what that is. I'll support Coach Dooley and pray he can bring the Vols back to their former glory, but I do not support Hamilton. The way he treated Kippy does not reflect the class and integrity that our AD should have.

BSweet writes:

Wow, it amazes me that some of you can't see how Kippy was shafted. He was promised a LEGITIMATE interview. Legitimate, as in real, not just a formality. News of Dooley's hire was leaking before that interview even occurred. So if the new coach was already hired, how is that a legitimate interview? Hamilton made a promise to give him SERIOUS consideration. Hamilton lied, like a certain now former coach whose name I will not use. Hamilton used Kippy to hold the team together while he found a new coach then basically spat in his face. Honestly, would any of you have put up with that? As long as I had other options, I wouldn't have. Kippy could have bailed when the other 3 former coaches did, but he didn't, he stayed. He didn't ask to be given anything but respect, and Hamilton failed at that.

scvols writes:

All that stuff that Kippy said about how great it is to be a VOL was only real if he got the HC job. Bye Kippy, have fun in a city that it rains 300 days out of the year.

randyarnold writes:

in response to jstrewh2#441076:

Ever notice that when people on this site make suggestions,it's always the same old tired names (Rodney Gardner, anyone who played a few games for UT). There are probably some young coaches out there who are ready to break out and make something happen. Remember, often the star players make the worst coaches.

57TexasVol writes:

in response to Maverickman:

Exactly. He followed a career path he felt best suited. I got no problem with that. It's the yahoos trying to make him Saint Kippy that annoy me. Just maybe he's not HC material. If he is such a legit canidate for HC why hasn't he already made that jump elsewhere all these years.

Volmania writes:

I don't blame Kippy for leaving after we hired a questionable guy and it was reported even before he interviewed.

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to BSweet:

The info wasn't leaked about Dooley until Friday. They didn't decide to hire Dooley until Friday. Friday night Kippy informed the Vols he was taking a job in Seattle, so he had that job lined up before we even offered Dooley and b4 it was leaked. Sounds like he failed to give US the respect He promised. After all, just 2 days b4 hire his tune was he wanted to be on staff no matter what and he was all Vol, UT tradition, etc. Translation, " I want to be on staff if nothing better is available tomorrow." We want guys who will embrace our traditons not just say they will and then leave 2 days later.

Dobervol writes:

You know, you can be 100% Vol and support Coach Dooley 100%, and still know that Kippy was lied to by MH, and believe MH should be fired. Some of us know Kippy personally, and the man doesn't have a lyin' bone in his body. It's not that he didn't get the job; it's that he was used and lied to by Hammy. I have two degrees from UT earned over 7 years, and I'm "all Vol" about the football team AND the rest of the Univ., too. Some of you still don't give a rodent's rear about anything but W's and L's.

volsreign writes:

Let me get this straight. Kiffin didn't take Reaves with him so that UT would have to fire him. Reaves could then go to USC as an unpaid graduate assistant, coach for Kiffin, and we will pay his salary???? You've got to be freaking kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halls3 writes:

I love it. Kippy takes a job opportunity to the NFL after he decides maybe UT isn't the place for him & now is criticized & called a liar. Wow. You know Kippy could have bolted immediately if he wanted to but he respected UT & Hamilton enough to stay until a coach was hired. After he was screwed by being interviewed after Dooley being hired had already broke he had every right to feel betrayed by the University he worked so hard for & wanted to lead. It's pathetic & disgusting that some fans are calling him a liar. Of course you all are the same ones who worshipped Lying Lane while he was here, but none of you would admit that now. Kippy deserved at least a fair shake when it came to the job & since he didn't get that I see no problem with him improving his job by going back to the NFL.

balloonman writes:

in response to Halls3:

Right on Halls3......Hammy closed his eyes and took a swing and hit out of the yard......but alas (by dissin Kippy) he forgot to touch first base!....Totally incompetent!.....got little man and ugly disease!

TinCup writes:

Who is Kippy Brown? Who is Kiffin? Who is Reaves? Who is Cregg? What the hell is a Seattle She-hawk?

Exactly. This is Tennessee football now. These names are the past.

pms151 writes:

in response to Maverickman:

It is much more like responding to Rush Limbaugh.

pms151 writes:

in response to volsreign:

You got it right. This was all designed to rip us off to the max. Recruiting, bonuses, coaches. It was a conspiracy. Someone in the Kiffin extended family read too many John Grisham novels. Probably thought they could get away with it. Got news for them though, 'The Brethren' is a work of fiction. Just like your tenure as coaches will be.

neylandsmom writes:

in response to USNVOL:

This is a vols site, not a non-vols site.

i know right, i can't believe someone would have the audacity to to disagree with this hire. how dare anyone not think dooley is the perfect choice and regret not hiring kippy brown, oh the humanity. seriously though, you can disagree with a school hiring a certain head coach and still be a fan, lighten up.

ohnovol writes:

in response to JohnsonCity_George:

...poop!

agree! I can't believe just a week ago we were one of the hottest programs in the country.....to just dismantle from coachs to players is very sad.....very sad for Volnation in the coming years.....I will not renew my season tickest, for they will be 5 bucks on the street. Until we get a great coach and staff, we will battle Vandy for the bottom....now I know how bad the Vandy fans have felt forever! Hiring DD is the worst move since Van Halen brought in Sammy Hagar to replace David Lee Roth.....going ahead and "jump" Vols...go ahead and jump!

tnlooking writes:

Who knows what really happened here. In my opinion, this looks like the deal was already set before the announcement of Coach Dooley. I believe it was "in waiting" in case Brown didn't get the HC position. The fact that he said he would stay on even if he wasn't chosen was the "right thing to say" at the time to keep himself in the running. I firmly believe that Dooley is the right move, and totally understand the hesitance to hire a Kiffin leftover. Don't get me wrong, I believe that Kippy Brown is a great coach and I wish him well, but something just didn't feel right about him possibly being the HC. I support Coach Dooley 100% and like him more the more I find out about him. I believe dignity and respect will be restored to the program. We did not need the image that Kiffin was trying to build, and I really believe that Coach Dooley will get the program noticed and in the news for the right reasons. GO VOLS!!!

elmoe writes:

I'm running out of mattresses to burn!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Guess this shows how loyal he was to Tennessee....that press conference speech of his was just what people wanted to hear or so he thought, to get him the job.

tnseamstress writes:

Sorry to hear Kippy has left. Wow....leave because he didn't get the head job or cause he didn't like Dooley? Or what???? I hate to hear it regardless.

vet4ut writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Wow. On what pedestal do you put the opinions on this board? Dangerous? Um, people are talking about a football coach.
And you calling people idiots, childish and dangerous because they disagree with you?
Yeah, your education oozes from your post.

TommyJack writes:

in response to jstrewh2#441076:

Rodney Garner has been passed over 57 times for promotion to DC. Maybe there's a reason.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

Who can be surprised by this move? Who could blame him?

I guess we really are starting from scratch this time.

Maybe we should have let Cutcliffe bring his coaches with him, after all.

pm01 writes:

Question. Did Hamilton really offer the job to Dooley before interviewing Kippy, or was it speculation?

These same reports said Cut had the job and we all know how that went down. Why would Hamilton tell Kippy he would interview him and then not? I don't know that I believe these "reports".

On the flip side. If it's true Hamilton shafted Kippy, I don't blame Kippy. How could you work for someone who did you wrong? I love how everyone wants to jump down Kippy's throat when we ALL would probably do the same thing if we felt wronged at our jobs.

iLOVEtheVOLS writes:

First time posting here. 84 UT alum up in Dayton, OH. My obversation, purely speculation....I find it hard to believe that the Seahawks were not formulating a coaching move as far back as midseason. I also find it hard to believe that in orchestrating the chain of events, that Lane Kiffin, or Lyin' Lane, knew full well back in November that he'd be leaving for SC. Following this path, Lyin' Lane brings in Kippy, who was no where on the radar screen until midseason as well. And my gut tells me that Lyin' Lane felt he'd be leaving a UT guy behind to cover his tracks. Then all of sudden when that doesn't work out, Brown has an immediate deal with the Seahawks? Yeah right.....he'd been promised that if he didn't get the Vol deal that Seattle would have spot for him. All these snakes have been sliming around in this arrangement for a while now. The logistics of all these moves alone make it that way. How many 70 year old guys like Monte Kiffin are gonna go from town to town to town in such a short period of time without having the details ironed out ahead of time. Bottom line, the Vols got lucky IMO, getting a classy coach while getting out from under the slimy ooze that is Lyin' Lane and his band of snakes.

AirForceLawVol writes:

I don't understand why folks think we owed Kippy a shot at HC just because he's a UT grad. Hell, I'm a UT grad and no one called me!!! :-) Seriously though, if Kiffin hadn't hired him for WR coach, no one on this board would be talking about him. So what's the big deal? Just looking for some thing to complain about??

Dooley may not be flashy, but I think we've had our fill of that. We were fooled, myself included, but its time to move on with what is best for UT. Dooley seems to have it together. If memory serves, he played two SEC teams every year at La Tech. Take away those inevitable losses and he's doesn't do too bad. With alot less talent he's accrued a better overall record than Kiffin at least. Git 'er done Coach D!!

dtennessee#235123 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

USNVol - you can still be a Vol fan (I am an alumnus and former coach there) and still not drink the koolaid. Your comments are dead on. The Athletic Department is run by Jim Haslam - that's why its still stuck in the 50's. The school and the athletic department are rotting from the head down, no president and a puppet for an Athletic Director.

clean house and start over.

dtennessee#235123 writes:

in response to poppachuck:

You speak the truth sir, the Vols will pay for this for years.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to BSweet:

Am sorry to say that is exactly the way I see it. Ham wa in a bad spot under tremenous pressure with little time. But Coach Brown must have felt Ham's conduct to be highly unprofessional and unacceptably offensive.

hueypilot writes:

Kippy Brown was a nice man I'm sure and an able position coach, but lots of people knew him in the coaching profession and he sat on the sidelines last year after a stint with the hapless Detroit Lions, where a good coach should have been able to show some positive results. Result? After he was there a year, the next year they go winless

We can't fall into the "UT family only" trap. Look where that landed Alabama in the 1990's.

Kippy Brown was hired by UT as a position coach. And he was hired off the sideline. He was obviously not HC material, or perhaps even coordinatr material given how long he has kicked around and only been allowed one failed attempt at that job with the worst team in the league.

Talk about focusing on the negative. Shouldn't this article be focused on who apparently is being retained on the new coaches staff?