Neyland's maxims work for Dooley

Thompson has some hot words for Kiffin

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley waits to be introduced during a press conference in the Peyton Manning Locker Room Complex at Neyland Stadium Friday, Jan. 15, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Introducing UT's new head coach Derek Dooley

Derek Dooley looks forward to embracing Tennessee football traditions - even one of the oldest.

Dooley was introduced as UT's new head coach Friday night in a press conference inside the Peyton Manning Locker Room Complex. Just over his right shoulder on the wall in enormous print were the seven Game Maxims that date to Gen. Robert Neyland.

"I'm glad to see I believed in everything up there,'' Dooley said.

"Thank God the General knew what he's doing.''

The maxims are recited by the team before every game.

Dooley also paid homage to UT's past by acknowledging Johnny Majors and Phillip Fulmer.

Brown Wants To Stay: Freshman tailback Bryce Brown indicated Friday he has no plans to transfer.

"The only thing that's been on my mind is getting a better GPA and focusing on school,'' Brown said. "I talked to my parents and that's what they feel I should focus on.''

Brown said he might use spring practice to evaluate his future but said the former staff had not tried to convince him to transfer to Southern Cal.

Between the Hedges: Dooley will lead the Vols into Georgia's Sanford Stadium on Oct. 9, 2010.

The son of long-time Georgia coach Vince Dooley, Derek grew up in Athens, Ga. He said Friday night he has too many other priorities to deal with now to address what his emotions might be in the fall.

"The last thing on my mind,'' he said, "is who we're playing.''

Search Protocol: Dooley said he first learned of UT's interest in him via a text message from UT athletic director Mike Hamilton.

"First of all,'' he said, "I was glad I know how to text.''

Hamilton quipped that he wasn't violating coach-search protocol because Dooley also serves as Louisiana Tech's athletic director.

"I got the AD's permission at the same time, since he's the athletic director,'' Hamilton said.

Dooley vs. Vols: As a senior receiver at the University of Virginia, Dooley played against Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl after the 1990 season. UT won 23-22.

He was a graduate assistant coach at Georgia in 1996 when Peyton Manning led the Vols to a 29-17 win in Athens.

As an assistant coach at LSU 2000-05, Dooley was 2-2 against Tennessee. He won the big one, though, the 2001 SEC championship game that denied the Vols a trip to the national championship game in the Rose Bowl.

Thompson Says: Lance Thompson, the linebackers coach who left Alabama a year ago to come to Tennessee at Lane Kiffin's urging, was as shocked as anyone by Kiffin's departure - and that of coordinator Monte Kiffin.

"I would tell (Lane) 'Congratulations, but I'm looking forward to the day that we play,' '' Thompson told the Birmingham News.

"I don't care where I'm at. I'm always going to be looking for the day we play Lane Kiffin.

"From my perspective, in my career, I've always dealt with people who did things the right way. I never saw this coming.''

Thompson said he'd like to stay at Tennessee.

Flight Plan: Dooley was flown from Ruston Regional Airport to Knoxville in a Pilot Corp. plane, accompanied by Charlie Anderson, a member of the UT Athletics Board, and Pilot CEO Jimmy Haslam.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolGrad writes:

Love the comments by Lance Thompson and hope he gets to stay.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

Oh man, KEEP LANCE THOMPSON! He's a great recruiter and both he and Dooley probably believe in the same philosophy (both being Saban guys). He can coach LB's in a 4-3 or a 3-4. AND HE'S PISSED!

normdia writes:

I really hope Coach Thompson (and the rest of the staff that wants to)get to stay...except for David Reeves...I'm not too sure where his loyalties will lie...

dburgvet writes:

in response to 1BigOrangeCountryFan:

You will have to pull the Ogre-ron out of his butt first.

rockytopatl writes:

Lance sounds like a guy you want on your side when the battle starts. What a classy way to say, "I want a piece of that punk!"

AtticusFinch_WAW writes:

I knew I liked Lance for a reason!

RegentVol writes:

I think Lance is a lock to stay for sure (assuming he connects well with the future DC). I do not like hearing that Bryce Brown "might use spring practice to evaluate his future" but he won't be willing to sit out for a year to transfer to a FBS school and he can't afford to get less exposure with an FCS program if he wants an NFL future. So, it probably isn't worth getting worked up over...

Mr_Bandman writes:

Lance Thompson's stock just shot through the roof!

give_him_6 writes:

Lance is freakin motivated!! And he can really coach up our LBs. Man, I hope coach Dooley keeps him.

burpee_von_rotweiler_IV writes:

in response to normdia:

On AL.com, Thompson said Reaves didn't see it coming either or was notified in any way by his brother-in-law. He was left hanging in the cold like everyone else when the three amigos bolted on the first thing smokin' from K-Town. Reaves might feel the same way as Thompson. He could be a bigger man than his brother-in-law and have the right motivations. Stay tuned.

OldNumber7 writes:

Many of us are not where we can get to campus. If you are - go paint the rock "Keep Lance" or something!

7_Game_Maxims writes:

Writing's on the wall folks. I know for a fact that the Anderson's do not like Hammy. There's also no mention of Mike being on the plane. Fulmer will be the next AD before too long.

crimsonviper writes:

Kiffin was on Jim Rome yesterday.Vol fans should take a minute and listen to the show.
He is one pathetic individual.
He is mentally unstable..seriously

TommyJack writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

He is one pathetic individual.
He is mentally unstable..seriously

You're right, Vipe.

Also, it's clear that DD had good parenting. LK not so much.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

Thompson said he'd like to stay at Tennessee.

thank goodness. if there is 1 guy on the current staff you cant lose its thompson. i say give him a shot at the d coordinator job. hes been under saben for almost 10 years and monte for 1. give him a shot. too manty connections in georgia and bama not to. if you keep him at LB coach he will bolt at the first chance too. My .02

gautvol writes:

in response to burpee_von_rotweiler_IV:

It's like the Vol Nation just woke up after one year of marriage and divorce and realize we were married to a stripper. LK is slime. Keep Lance Thompson on the staff! GBO! Here's the link to AL.com.

NeylandWest writes:

Rest assured, this Krav Maga instructor would love nothing more to meet Lane on the street someday. It'd be worth the charge.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You're right, Vipe.

Also, it's clear that DD had good parenting. LK not so much.

I going out on a limb TJ and say this.
I think CDD has what it takes to be an excellent coach.
The man has character,family values AND embraces the traditions of Tennessee.
Some people questioned wheather he would bolt for Ga. if the opportunity arose.
After reading about him and watching his PC,I think if he starts building with the Vols he stays to see it thru.
He seems like that type person...IMO

TommyJack writes:

in response to normdia:

Reaves is toast. Or should be.

TommyJack writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

I going out on a limb TJ and say this.
I think CDD has what it takes to be an excellent coach.
The man has character,family values AND embraces the traditions of Tennessee.
Some people questioned wheather he would bolt for Ga. if the opportunity arose.
He seems like that type person...IMO

Always the chance he will bolt. But remember, GA has another grad "in waiting" at Texas. Besides, if DD does well here, he may NOT want to bolt.

tennesseebee writes:

I hope the showdown happens in a couple of years. When we have salvaged the wreckage of the LaneTrain. Hopefully he will still have a job in so cool So Cal.

GaGATOR writes:

I’m a Florida Gator through and through, but I want to congratulate you on your new coach. I just watch both videos of Dooley’s press conference. I wasn’t sure about him yesterday, but after watching his press conference, I think you have gotten yourself a real diamond in the rough, but not too rough. It maybe all that he needs is to be a great SEC school to really blossom, there is no question you are better off today than the jerk was still your coach------you have lost nothing. Dooley will get you where you want to go faster than that brat who just left. Again congratulations, also thanks for sending that trash to the west coast.

tennesseebee writes:

in response to normdia:

Loyalties? He must not be much of a coach if his own brother-in-law didn't take him. Would you tell Layla no he can't come with us?

All_Vol_in_GA writes:

Remember that CDD's dad, Vince, graduated from Auburn, but never bolted to go back and coach there. There's no guarantee that our Dooley would ever want to go back to GA other than to visit family. I'm excited about this hire, and hope that we've found our future in Derek Dooley. GBO!

Ringside writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

I going out on a limb TJ and say this.
I think CDD has what it takes to be an excellent coach.
The man has character,family values AND embraces the traditions of Tennessee.
Some people questioned wheather he would bolt for Ga. if the opportunity arose.
He seems like that type person...IMO

Agree. IT make take a while longer, but I believe he will build the program based on
becoming a part of Tennessee, not a fast lane to the NFL. I did not get a chance to listen to Rome yesterday, what did Kiffin say?

crimsonviper writes:

in response to Ringside:

Rome asked him about trying to recruit UT commits.
Kiffen said ..Those players committed to our staff,not to wear the yellow jerseys.
He is pathetic IMO...GBO

Ringside writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Rome asked him about trying to recruit UT commits.
He is pathetic IMO...GBO

Agree. He's no doubt garbage and obviously raised that way by his "father." We should send USC a thank you card. I hope they sanatized the offices for Coach Dooley.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to GaGATOR:

Thank you for the kind words. The SEC is a Southern gentlemen's conference, not a diving board to a lil Wayne rap video.

Win or lose, we all stand a lot to gain when we have coaches who respect tradition and each other.

MidTennVol writes:

Whoa, Daddy -- Lance Thompson, THAT'S the kind of attitude we need at Tennessee. Please stay and coach up our LBs.

Coach Dooley, I doubt you will find a more motivated staff than Thompson, Chaney, Cregg and Brown. They were all screwed by [name withheld] even more than us fans.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

I remember a LA Tech game that was on TV this year. They won late in the game and this coach was all over the field congratulating players! I truly believe from his emotion I saw that this guy is genuine. Oh, and thank God he's southern, and not one of them darn yankees or lying californians.

Burnin_Time writes:

I bet Coach Dooley knew Neyland was a General longer than Kiffin did..wait, did Kiffen ever know that?

ncvol1 writes:

Head Football Coach, Derek Dooley. Yes, he's young, and in terms of head coaching experience at a level comparable to the SEC, it's a big step up for him. However, he has excellent football "bloodlines", and he appears to be grounded - with a sense of what and how he desires to do the job he's accepted. Whether he'll succeed or bust, no one knows at this time. But then, no one knew years ago what would happen when a young West Point grad, Robert Neyland, came to TN. And, neither did anyone know what would happen when a young Kansas grad, and Illinois high school coach accepted the KY basketball head coach position. Adolph Rupp, however, did OK. UT football is probably two to maybe four years away from being where we'd all like to see the Vols perennially be. But Coach Dooley has more tools with which to work with here, than he's ever had before; and he he has a great educational institution and football tradition to sell to young football players, who want to prepare well for their futures - both educationally and athletically. Welcome, Coach Dooley. Know that the Vol Nation is wishing you well, as you begin your leadership of the Vols football program.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

Remember Vince went to Auburn and Pat Dye played at Georgia. Hopefully Derek wants his own legacy.

Southland writes:

I am glad that the eyes have been opened. All the Kiffin supporters that cursed anyone that one that questioned Kiffin's tactics have either disappeared or have found out that trash doesnt work. Maybe the foul mouthed jerks that said we were not UT fans when we saw what we had as a joke coach have realized some of us know trash when we see it and hear it. Kiffin was an idiot from day one and got worse. Dont ever question our loyalty again Kiffin supporters. We will be UT fans until we die, but we can now hold our heads up and not be ashamed of the latest trash talk coming out of our coaches mouth. We can get a coach that can win games and show respect. You found out Kiffin is not God. Kiffin has not figured that out yet. If you miss the Kiffin style then by all means watch wrestling instead of football

Burnin_Time writes:

Kiffin's comments on the Jim Rome show clearly shows he thinks coaching college football is only about a cult of personality-that kids play for rock star coaches who can get them to the NFL. He has no concept of college as an "institution" or "program". He does not care for the larger good of the kids or the university. Glad we cut this loss now.

Good luck, USC. There is definitely a Trojan in your house now.

steelersman42 writes:

in response to Burnin_Time:

"Who's Neyland?", asks Kiffin.

JV67 writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

I'll pay your bail.

LongWayfromHome writes:

in response to Burnin_Time:

Good luck, USC. There is definitely a Trojan in your house now.

Very well said, Burnin': The narcissist has no filters for the reality around him, nor can he ever really imagine anything larger than himself. The narcissist cares nothing about what came before him.

Institutions that hitch their star to a narcissist will always be at the mercy of his deep, selfish need.

It's a classic case. The worst possible thing, from his perspective, would be that no one pays attention to him. I, for one, would love to see all of us Vols turn our collective backs on this sad character and never speak of him again.

AWOLVol writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

He is one pathetic individual.
He is mentally unstable..seriously

CLK's a delusional narcissist and he used up all the protective denial I had built up around myself during the last few years of the CPF era. As I stand now, I'm much like the UT football program itself; raw, sore, exposed, and ready for some truth in advertising. Something tells me CDD might be just the right guy at the right time.