Pearl likes Maymon's 'toughness'

6-7 transfer from Marquette, has played with Harris

Jeronne Maymon had a nice, anonymous first day of classes at the University of Tennessee on Friday.

"I introduced myself to some cool classmates,'' Maymon said. "They didn't know I was a basketball player.''

Maymon, a 6-foot-7, 240-pound forward, will need to wait another year before he makes a name for himself on the basketball court in Knoxville after transferring from Marquette. The NCAA requires he sit out one season, but he'll be allowed to practice with the team as soon as Thursday.

UT coach Bruce Pearl is confident Maymon will have an opportunity to become a household name among Vols fans in due time.

"We're very excited Jeron is on our team,'' Pearl said, issuing his first public comments on Maymon, the No. 46 player in the Rivals.com 150 Class of 2009. "He brings a level of toughness and physicality that we need, and he can score inside and out.''

Maymon is a walk-on in status only; he's expect to be put on scholarship when the Vols have one available.

UT loses senior forwards Wayne Chism and J.P. Prince after this season, and the athletic scholarships of Tyler Smith and Emmanuel Negedu also will be freed up.

"I feel like I fit in good with the style of play here, and I've really bought into what Coach Pearl says,'' said Maymon, who led Madison Memorial High School to a state championship his senior year and was a two-time Wisconsin state player of the year. "Coach Pearl has my best interests at heart.''

The Vols will be adding the No. 1-ranked power forward in the Class of 2010 next season, too, in Tobias Harris.

Maymon and Harris are well-acquainted having played together in a tournament in New York last summer.

"We both do the same type of stuff, but I'm more of a slasher,'' said Maymon, who stays in contact with Harris.

Harris texted: "He can play many positions and rebound well; he'll fit in great.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

schymtz writes:

Welcome to the University of Tennessee Mr. Maymon!

Boll_WeeVol writes:

What's up with this kid and his dad always being quoted talking about his interests and being used properly? I like that we're getting good players but I wish he were talking about the team. This team is really gelling right now and it would be nice if it became tradition in UT basketball.

Lrobby99 writes:

Cross your Vol fingers father Maymon doesn't mess things up for your new walk-on the way he did for his kid at Marquette. If you are really curious, websearch this kid and his father Tim and read up on the incredible gall this guy displayed, demanding his Freshman kid play only the position daddy demanded, immediately be the star of the team, and skip out as soon as possible to the NBA.

badpack22 writes:

I am a Wisconsin Badger fan and Maymon would be a Badger now if they wanted him. Coach Ryan did not want to put up with Tim Maymon the father of Jeronne. Jeronne did not want to leave Marquette it was his father. As far as I know Jeronne is a good kid but if his father shows up for games it will not be a pretty picture. Hope that it works out for Jeronne and that he has a good career their but if his father comes down their, their will be problems.

badpack22 writes:

If you want to see what Marquette fans think go to JSONLINE.COM. in the sports section under Marquette.

madness writes:

I live in Madison, I'm a Marquette fan. This kid in nothing but trouble. His father is a COMPLETE train wreck. The rumor is that J Maymon was kicked off the team. The coach and AD could not take the antics of the Maymons anymore. Tim Maymon said they left because MU wasn't running their offense around Jeronne. Seriously, the kid is a mediocre basketball player and he would be better served playing at a junior college. I'm just warning you, don't think this is a big coup, he should do well as practive bait on the scout team for those kids that belong playing division 1.

in response to Lrobby99:

Several MU fans have given us the same warning and many of us are concerned about what we are hearing. I HOPE CBP has addressed these issues with Dad and can stand up to him without alienating the kid. He really seems to be in a bad position. It's hard enough for an average player to separate what coaches might tell him from what parents tell him and choose the former over the latter, but this kid's dad seems to be taking it to another level. We fans have gained a new appreciation for team chemistry with the way the team has responded to the suspension of several key players. I surely hope next season's "chemistry experiment" doesn't blow up in everybody's faces!

midtown2399 writes:

BIG E!YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN THE MAN!

Lrobby99 writes:

best of luck Vol fans. I will be curious next season to see how well this new path to glory works out for the Maymon's. thanks for letting some Northerner's speak up with no flaming retorts.

Lrobby99 writes:

BTW, we still miss CBP here in Milwaukee. I support UW-M bball too, except when playing MU. Heck of a good coach.