Vols add Joseph, Russell to coaching staff

Derek Dooley is getting right to work.

The first step for the new Tennessee coach was finding some people to do it with him.

After parting ways with three assistants on his first full day on the job, Dooley made his first two hires on Sunday as the Vols try to quickly assemble a staff. They started Sunday with former Louisiana Tech secondary coach and recruiting coordinator Terry Joseph and respected special teams coach Eric Russell from Texas Tech, who each have a history with Dooley.

UT also still has offensive coordinator Jim Chaney, linebackers coach Lance Thompson and defensive backs coach Willie Mack Garza on staff, but there are still a few vacancies to fill over the next few days. The Vols are also currently in the process of finalizing a contract for Dooley, though details of that are expected tonight.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

trivol writes:

nice

VolinaCrimsonWorld writes:

Welcome aboard coaches! Now, get to work!

skip22 writes:

Special teams that might actually not be a liability at UT... might be interesting

Texassean writes:

Ok... I really am looking forward to having Dooley as our coach. But I do understand the concern about hiring the coach of a Louisiana Tech team with a losing record. Do we really want to bring his staff, too? I'm not rejecting the notion, but I do admit it doesn't exactly light my fire to have the staff of a losing team in the WAC. Hoping for the best! And VERY glad that we're keeping Thompson and Chaney!!! GBO!

1volfanatic writes:

Welcome aboard guys.

UneducatedRedneck writes:

Excellent news that we have a coach devoted to special teams. Welcome to Big Orange Country, the both of you. Now get out there and coach 'em up. Well, recruit first, and then go coach 'em up.

TnWalker writes:

Another Louisiana connection can't be a bad thing. Glad to have people on board that actually WANT to be here. These guys have a chance to make more of a name for themselves here. I wish them the absolute best. GBO!!!

rockytopatl writes:

He's going to have a few guys around that he knows and with whom he feels comfortable. He's the head coach and we need to trust him to make the right hires.

Anybody heard anything more on Chaney or Thompson?

VolunteerLifer writes:

I like the emphasis on special teams. We need that badly. Our poor special teams was something that neither Fulmer nor Kiffin could fix.

This article does not say exactly what role these two will play on the new staff. I guess maybe that's still undecided?

Seinat writes:

Interesting. Any official word yet on the status of Thompson and Chaney? All I have heard is from rumors on twitter.

rkastens writes:

Let Coach Thompson take over as DC. Then hire Al Wilson to coach linebackers. Guys would always give him 100%. They would not want to come to the sideline to face Al if they didn't. :-)

xxeman#277723 writes:

I'm trying to be upbeat but him bringing his staff is making this TOO LARGE TO SWALLOW! How about some guys with big time experience? Should keep Garza, Lance. Cregg did a good job with what he had, might be too close to kifboy though.

Are we going to jump to the WAC? Dooley alone is hard enough to accept at this point in his career. Just my concerns.

amstelman writes:

Quite the sales pitch. Impressive records of success. Maybe it's a good thing that we don't have a staff with deep NFL connections. We'll see.

go_vols_go writes:

We need
to keep lance Thompson. Period

KINGKONG writes:

I admit I got my doubts for as can Dooley turn UT back into a powerhouse, but he is getting off to a great start.We need help on the special teams.We need to be good in all phases of the game.The last two coaches we had over looked the importance of special teams or just came up with excuses why our kicking game was so poor

Texassean writes:

For those asking about Chaney, UTSports website says:

"The majority of Chaney's coaching experience, however, comes from the collegiate ranks. His coaching and recruiting turns at Purdue, Wyoming and Cal State Fullerton made him the perfect fit for head coach Derek Dooley's coaching lineup."

Check it yourself at: http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-foot...

I'm headed to see about Thompson.

letshave1more writes:

I am so hoping that MH has made the right choice. Did anyone see Jimmy Hyams say that he had talked to some people in LA and DD was not ready for this position? In my opinion KB was the right choice for TN and we have made the wrong choice.....

Texassean writes:

Can't find a specific comment about Thompson, but he is 1 of 4 coaches listed so far here:

TommyJack writes:

I got no problem with the hires.

volsfan74 writes:

everyone keeps bringing up Dooley's record and experience, Kiffin did not have a winning record as a HC!

TelfordVol writes:

Bruce Feldman tweeted about 25 minutes ago that Russell is a no nonsense guy and is highly regarded in the coaching biz.

newportvol writes:

any word on the rest of the old staff? I hope they stay i know Thompson has worked with Coach DD b4

letshave1more writes:

in response to volsfan74:

Lyin Lane had his daddy and that piece of chit EO!

BillyVol writes:

You have to remember it is a team, team, concept he brings, from his staff, to the football players.
Lets hang in for a few days. Lance was mentioned in paper as his close ear at basketball game. That should tell you something on Lance. I don't remember Lame going to a basketball game, but I am not sure.

utvolz#637682 writes:

Welcome aboard coaches and family! Now go build a fence around the recruits we can salvage from this recuiting class and beyond!

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to UneducatedRedneck:

Yeah, what he said.

flafan2001 writes:

Attn ALL UT Recruits and Parents: An impressive coaching staff is being assembled at UT. Look at the experience from North Texas, Idaho and and the Sun Belt Conference. This staff will prepare your kids for the next level! Who needs a big name staff? Saban, Meyer, Miles, Petrino are all overrated anyway. UT Football now known as La Tech East.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to xxeman#277723:

why don't you head to the WAC and send us Vol fans back a report on the Idaho v Utah State game. The rest of VolNation are supporting our new coach in the SEC.
Cregg is a Kiffin lifer.

jbc writes:

Give Jack Reynolds a call.

bryanvolsfan writes:

I was hoping Dooley would keep Chaney, garza and Thompson I think those guys actually wanted to be here. Really excited Dooley hired a Special teams coach, we've needed one for a REALLY LONG TIME! Time will tell how well he does but I'm behind these coaches 100%!!! GO VOLS!!!

TelfordVol writes:

in response to BillyVol:

I think he showed up in a pink shirt once and shot free throws like a girl. Does anyone else remember that or was that a bad dream?

britt writes:

Any word on goning for Rodney Garner? Id like to have him back

Ron1967 writes:

One "luxury" the new coach should have is picking his own staff. The fans, boosters, and AD should butt out of the selection process.

When we hired DD, we hired whatever staff he decides to bring with him. Trying to force staff members on DD would be doubly stupid.

BillyVol writes:

Note to Staff that keeps this site up. UT sports has taken all related pictures off site of Lame,

I see pictures at bottom of this site of Lame, we need to demand that they be removed immediately.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Dooley=HC
Chaney=OC
? =DC
Russell=ST
Joseph=RC
Garza=Sec.
Thompson=LB
? =OL
? =DL
? =WR
? =QB
? =RB
? =TE

Am I leaving a positions coach out and is this correct at this point? I know that some school's coaches have combined duties. Like one of La Tech's coaches had multiple duties of secondary and recruiting coordinator(just an example).

Also, does nayone if Dooley is keeping Garza? If so, then forget him as secondary coach and put someone else in his place, like the La Tech coach that is joining the staff.

SGTSpurge writes:

Well, first off, only one of these two hires was from La Tech. The other one is from Tx Tech. Second, he has only made two hires, so far. It stands to reason that he has a guy or two from his previous staff that he wants to bring with him. Third, we didn't get Kippy, we got Derek. It is what it is and I'm not going to complain. As everyone has pointed out, Special Teams was an area of weakness for us. If we had a kicking game, Alabama and probably UCLA are wins for us in '09. Auburn may have gone into the W column for us, as well. Of course, we can "what if," all day. We've got the hand we've been dealt. Let's go out and see what happens. We're not going to completely turn this thing around over night. Much of the success we did have in '09 was a huge surprise to everybody. Who's to say that '10 won't be full of surprises that may be even bigger and better? Bring on MTSU, Oregon, Fla, Bama, and all the rest. GBO!

mdvol writes:

in response to TelfordVol:

Might be true but I hear that "highly regarded" spin about EVERY coach. Haven't ever heard "he sucks" about any coach. But, some do.

I just hope we get some coaches that wont pee in their pants when it's 3:30 on a Saturday, the blimp is overhead, and Urbie is bringing the Gators out of the south tunnel.

Ringside writes:

in response to rkastens:

Agree.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to xxeman#277723:

You really need to chill out. You have got to quit getting hung up on name recognition for the staff. If they can coach, they can coach. And, no matter what the recruits are saying now, these guys have 2 weeks to make an impression before the decisions are final.

You are looking at this from a fan's standpoint only. Do you realize that this is a HUGE opportunity for Dooley? Don't you think he knows what is at stake? After all, he knows the SEC? So, don't you think he is going to try to make sure he doesn't screw this up? If he blows this, it is back to La Tech or somewhere like that.

Keep in mind that putting together a stable staff that is not turning over every year is why teams like Boise St and Utah compete with lesser talent. It is the SYSTEM just like at Va Tech that keeps them consistenly competitive, not the talent. I believe before the the bowl game with Va Tech, the announcers were talking about how long Beamer had his staff together and it was like 10+ years, maybe longer.

Get OVER the name recognition and the record.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to flafan2001:

Attn all GVX posters: flafan is an expert on coaching hires and knows absolutely everything about football. Why, I think he invented such novel concepts as throwing the ball and even the blockbuster idea of, get this, tackling. Yes my friends flafan is the end-all, be-all of football knowledge.

WNCVOL32 writes:

Y'all reread the article. Thompson, Garza, and Cheney are still on staff.

punkin writes:

in response to flafan2001:

How many Gator QB's are in the pros. 0

TD_4_UT writes:

Chaney will be OC , he made a call to Fulton family today and he re-committed.

charles57#1378642 writes:

Texassean............LT didn't play all it's games in the WAC. Played TOUGH against Boise State as well as LSU!

BillyVol writes:

Yes, Coach Dooley when he spoke about defense, offense, he also mentioned special teams.
He is very smart, not Lame.

Madkels writes:

in response to TelfordVol:

Yea I remember that. He stood at the foul stripe and shot underhanded. I think he was 7 of 13 from the line. But he left before the game was over because he got scared.

jimr07 writes:

in response to Texassean:

I am sure coach Dooley will appreciate your input on further hires. Have you contacted him yet?

AllVols writes:

I honestly believe that Dooley is a good hire for UT. However, I was also extremely worried about the staff he would be able to bring in. He and his staff at LA Tech was able to do a complete U-turn with the LA Tech program which is great. It is non-BCS, does not play big competition, and does not prove a whole lot in the big scheme of things. Seems these guys have had considerable success as younger coaches and relatively short careers, but I am still worried about their abilities to succeed at such a large program. Only time will tell. 2010 is going to be huge for these guys. I'm behind them all the way though. I'm glad Dooley has had SEC experience because he will have to teach these guys a lot in a short period of time. Thank god it seems they can recruit. Ambles and Willis would be huge to keep onboard. I know there is a consensus that if they don't want to come, we don't need them. Reality check. UT needs their talent. We already have a young squad. They can only help.

movol77 writes:

in response to flafan2001:

Trolling posts like this one means these were good hires. Don't you love it when they start whining about getting beat by "lesser thans'?" :)

jimr07 writes:

in response to rkastens:

As great a player as Al Wilson was, he has no experience and has repeatedly said he has no interest in coaching. I, for one, am willing to leave the coaching hires up to coach Dooley.