Hamilton wanted to give Brown a true shot

Athletic director candid about search for a coach

Kippy Brown knows all about leaving Knoxville.

Tennessee's former interim head coach has done so three times in his long, successful career. But when Brown did so on Saturday, he probably could have used some consolation.

The 54-year-old left UT for the Seattle Seahawks after his third stint as a UT assistant coach. This departure, however, was far different than the first two.

Brown left UT after the 1989 season to join the New York Jets staff. He left after the 1994 season to become a Tampa Bay Buccaneer assistant. Both times, Brown had to consider the move a positive one for his resume.

The latest departure was different. He was the coach that got passed over once again for a head-coaching job.

"I'd like for it to happen, but you just can't control things," Brown said. "You do the best you can. Work your tail off and good things can happen. I'm proud of my career."

He should be. Brown's career has spanned 30 years and seven professional franchises. He's worked with countless Pro Bowlers, mostly as a receivers coach, and garnered enough respect from NFL head coaches that he has been named assistant head coach and passing game coordinator.

However, that resume wasn't enough to convince UT athletic director Mike Hamilton that the Sweetwater native was the right man for the job. Instead, Hamilton had all but made the decision to hire Derek Dooley before interviewing Brown on Friday.

"The one thing we said is 'We're not hiring anybody officially until we interview Kippy Brown.' " Hamilton said Monday.

Technically, perhaps, Hamilton didn't hire Dooley until he interviewed Brown, even though news leaked that Dooley was Hamilton's choice before Brown was interviewed.

Brown was supposed to be Hamilton's first interview as UT looked to fill the position vacated by head coach Lane Kiffin, who bolted last week for the same job at Southern California less than a month after hiring Brown.

Hamilton said weather issues impeded his travel Thursday night and Friday morning, forcing him to continually postpone the eventual one-hour interview he had with Brown.

"At that point I had to make a decision," Hamilton said.

The decision was to be straight-forward with Brown, interview him and see if he could sway UT's decision.

"He knows he's in position A to get the job offer, but you need to have a fair chance to tell us what your program would look like."

Brown did so and was told that Dooley would be hired shortly thereafter.

"I'm OK with everything; I really am, and I'm done with it," Brown said. "I wish them the best. I really do."

When Dooley was hired, Brown's decision was all but made. He knew Pete Carroll well. The two coached together with the Jets on a staff that oddly enough featured former UT defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

In another strange twist of fate, it was Carroll's departure to Seattle that created the chain reaction that would cut short the long-awaited return to UT for Brown.

Carroll's departure led to USC hiring Kiffin and sent the Vols into a tailspin for much of last week.

"I think it's going to be a heckuva situation," Brown said of the Seahawks. "I knew that if I didn't get the head-coaching job (at UT), I probably wouldn't stay."

Another former Vol assistant also fell by the wayside in Hamilton's quest to find UT's 22nd head coach. Former UT offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe was one of the eight or nine candidates Hamilton said he spoke to about the job.

Hamilton declined to comment when asked about negotiations about Cutcliffe's coaching staff, which was thought to be a sticking point, but confirmed that there was a timing issue that could not be overcome.

"He got into a timing deal, where he had to know specifically if he was truly a candidate or not," Hamilton said. "We were in a situation where we were going to let the process completely run its course."

While some wanted Hamilton to hire a former Vol assistant - i.e. Cutcliffe or Brown - others wanted a big-name coach, like Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith, who also coached at UT 1993-94.

"We made a couple of runs at a couple of different people," Hamilton said. "The timing was not the best in a lot of ways.

"In the end, I feel like we got a great guy that we can be excited about here at Tennessee."

That, however, came at the expense of Brown, who finally returned to UT after being rumored for so many assistant-coaching vacancies in the past and was so close to landing the head-coaching position he's coveted for so long.

Hamilton said he could understand if Brown felt shaken by the process.

"I'm sure he probably felt that way, but the guys that are on the inside know how hard we worked making sure we gave him an adequate chance to tell us what he would do if he were the coach," Hamilton said. "It wasn't the best of scenarios. I admit that freely."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

NukeLDOVol writes:

wish hamilton had been up front with him. i don't think he ever had any real intention of hiring him as head coach. if so he my have stuck around as an assistant.

VOLFTBL writes:

I think given the time contraints.. a good hire was made in Coach Dooley. It's time to move one and get away from past distractions. Go Vols!

Docrok writes:

Sounds like he was pretty up front with Kippy? And Brown stated that he knew if he didnt get that job he wouldnt stay and that is definitely different than what he said in his press conference! And it confirms he left of his own decision.

WAbetroff writes:

I think it was a good hire period. Look at the out of conference schedule La Tech played last 3 yrs. Pretty brutal for a WAC team.

LaneViolation writes:

I feel bad for Kippy because he is a real stand up guy and someone who really cares about and understands UT football. I think everyone paying attention to the situation understood Kippy was not going to be the next head coach at Tennessee. He would not have originally been in that awkward situation had it not been for Kiffin's craziness. So once again, blame Kippy's raw deal not on Hamilton but on Kiffin as where all the rest of the blame should lay.

olozbal#646632 writes:

I'm just not sure what he was thinking with his original offer to come to UT. Did Kiffin promise him an eventual head coaching gig? I doubt it, so why did he suddenly think he had some lead up on people who had been head coaches before?

sstirrer writes:

Kippy deserved a shot.
Probably the most unhappy folks with the Dooley hiring are those it hit in the wallet - attorneys Don Bosch, Greg Isaacs, David Eldridge, and Jeff Hagood. Dooley has a law degree, just what this program can use lately.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

This is one more reason to fire Hamilton. 'We're not hiring anybody officially until we interview Kippy Brown.' What the hell kind of shady policy is that? I'm sure Kippy Brown really appreciated the obligatory and entirely superfluous send off. I don't think, as some sports writers have suggested, that Brown being passed over was entirely racially motivated...but black, white, yellow, or purple...this was a classless, tactless act by Mike Hamilton and Co. We need to remember that Kippy Brown STAYED in Knoxville when the Crimson mafia rolled out of town...and what was his compensation? ONE FREE INTERVIEW*

*Please note interview does not guarantee hiring nor actual consideration for head coaching position. Void where prohibited by law.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to olozbal#646632:

Like...Will Muschamp...who has never held a head coaching position in his life yet was the first to be offered the job by Hamilton?

Or maybe Kippy thought that his loyalty to the University (which was at a premium last week among head coaching candidates in Knoxville) would have counted for something.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Docrok:

How the hell was Hamilton "up front" with Kippy? Was he "up front" with Kippy when he granted him an interview, knowing that he would never hire him? Is he being up front with the public by trying to look less like a reactionary jerk by going in front a microphone, crying, "I really wanted to interview Kippy," and playing the victim?

And of course Kippy left of his own decision...I would have left too, considering that the AD had just given me such a resounding vote of confidence.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

I know that everyone else is going to cr@p on your answer and call you a troll, but I agree with you.

The facts are that Hamilton has hired two pretty boys, with famous daddies, and losing records in a row...and UT fans just drink the kool-aid without ever questioning who is making it. A whole lot of people have become amateur prophets and seen the promised land recently...but that isn't reality.

I'm not going to praise Dooley for not being Kiffin. I'm not going to praise Hamilton for presenting UT with the same bad gift, just wrapped up with a prettier bow and nicer greeting card.

Even if Kippy wasn't going to be a permanent head coach, he at least deserved a year to prove his worth...but Oh My God...what if a black coach were to succeed at UT??? The horror...

Tgordon writes:

in response to Docrok:

BS, Hamilton dsn't have the integrity to be up front about anything. Nothing goog goonna come of any of this until UT wakes up to realize there is an AD crisis as much as a coaching crisis.

xxeman#277723 writes:

I do not belive Hammy. I think it was age. And that is as wrong as any other discrimination. Having said that I support Dooley, it's not his fault.

volsfan4ever writes:

"What I told him is 'Kippy, look, you're not in the same situation you were Wednesday because I've interviewed a bunch of other guys now," Hamilton said. ". . . I have not offered the job to Derek Dooley because I told him I wanted to come back and interview you first. So now it's kippy's fault?Sounds like BS to me.He should have been the FIRST interview.I don't know about everyone else but sounds fishy as h*ll!His resume is every bit as good as DD.Don't get me wrong,I'm behind dooley now,but anybody that thinks kippy got a fair shake is in denial.That being said,Mike Hamilton better hope this hire works or he is gone!I know for a fact Tee martin and several former vols were dissapointed.

ViT writes:

Kippy has already admitted he was in talks with Carroll before any of this went down. He tried to put on his orange facepaint and told us all what we wanted to hear. "Moving's overrated"... "I'm not a West Coast guy."

We were all so desperate for someone to love after Kiffin bailed that we almost fell for the "Aw shucks" press conference. What surprises me is that some people are still enamored. News flash - He bolted guys. Again.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

That shows what you know. As usual you are so far off base. Ask around people in the know. Ask athletic directors from other schools. Ask other college coaches. 99 out of 100 would pick Dooley. Of course you join the 1%, you always do.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

HE DESERVED A SHOT? HE WAS ON CAMPUS A LITTLE OVER 2 WEEKS! HE HAS COME AND LEFT TN 3 TIMES NOW.....WE JUST HAD A NON-VOL DO THAT.....NOT LOYAL TO ME. See ya, Kipp. Hope we don't see you a 4th time.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

How about Inky Johnson? He deserves a shot of a promotion more than the eye-blink known as Kippy.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

And Inky has shown nothing but being a TRUE Volunteer, through numerous coaching changes.

JV67 writes:

Good luck Kippy. All class as always.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

in response to ViT:

Exactly. He was hired to be an assistant coach, not a head coach but then he got stars in his eyes and when that didn't pan out, he ran. Dooley was a great hire but some will rant and rave about Fulmer, Kippy or some other coach they wanted for years. If he fails they will say I told you so. If he succeeds they will say we are the University of Tennessee and are suppose to win. It's the same people over and over. They always think they know what's best and if it doesn't happen they moan and groan continuously. The sad thing is that they always have something to gripe about. Some of these guys have posted hundreds of times without a positive post. I could not imagine living that way day after day. Must be a sad existence.

TommyJack writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

Well I wondered how long it would take for the race card to be played. The dumbest post I've seen on here, Volalum. There is NO hint of a racial element here. Poorly handled? Probably. Racial, no.
Actually, I was pulling for Kippy to get the job. (don't believe me, check my posts) And I'm sorry he got (maybe) hosed. But for you to irresponsibly deal the race card is dispicable.

newtonrail writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

Huh.

OrangeAppeal writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

Why then did Kippy decide to bolt after only 2 weeks in the program if he didn't get a head coaching job? He came here to coach receivers. Now he wants to be the HC or else? He said himself that he was going to bolt UT if he didn't get the HC job. HE HAD NO LONG-TERM INTENTIONS OF STAYING AT UT! This was just another line-item on his resume. So, let's not continue to make Kippy out like he is overly-loyal to UT. This is the 3rd time he left. Hamilton gave him a shot to sway his choice away from Dooley and Kippy didn't deliver. Dooley's qualifications are exponentially greater than Brown's.

I wish Kippy the best in his quest to be a head coach. I don't feel the timing was right nor was he was ready to take over at UT. But hey, there is a job opening at La Tech if he wants to pay his dues.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Excellent post. I have hired many employees in my days and that is exactly how I handled every one of them. If a guy came in and made a great case for the job and he was my number one pick up to that point, the next guy better have something more for me if he is going to move past that guy.

Also as you said and I have said a couple of times in the last few days, Kippy has been around for many years and there is certainly not anyone out there lining up to offer him a head coaching job. Kippy is a good man. I know that for a fact but being a good man is not going to get you hired. You better be able to sell yourself and your ideas when you apply for a job like this and obviously Dooley did a better job of it. Kippy has tried many times in getting a head coaching job without success. There must be a reason why and it's not because of anything Hamilton did. Now if everyone could just accept that and jump behind this coach we would all be better off. Instead many will still find a way to make it sound as if Kippy got screwed. Kippy got hired to be an assistant coach. I don't see him over there filling that contract now. Seems he is somewhere with the left coast gang. Funny and many call him a Tennessee man. Kippy has a very good heart but Tennessee guy he is not. He is like most, he is for himself. He is a Kippy guy. He worked for the University when he needed a job and that does not make him a Tenn guy.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to KindredSpirit:

Your last 20 posts have self promoted your website. Can you take your advertising somewhere else? What are you providing that Rivals, Scout, Fanhouse, ESPN, CBS Sports, GVX, etc are not? Another opinion? Another chat room or blog site? C'mon Man...

zansdad writes:

I don't understand how if Kippy Browm and Mike Hamilton both wake up in Knoxville the morning the coaching search started, how was it "travel" issues that kept postpoing Kippy's interview. Hamilton should have interviewed him first thing and then he could have flown all over the country looking for "Mr. Right".

As for Kippy already in negotiation with the Seahawks. Well, Kippy is a big boy and probably saw the writing on the wall. He has an agent just like everyone else, so when Hamilton started giving him the run around, he got his agent busy looking for the next stop. It's good to be prepared.

I got nothing but respect for Brown. He settled down the players when Kiffin and company left town and was willing to stay on. However, I think he felt a little bit mistreated by Hamilton, and I don't blame him. I wish him well out west.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

in response to newtonrail:

Huh.

It makes one wonder doesn't it. You just have to ignore him, he never makes any sense...LOL

AtticusFinch_WAW writes:

Kippy is a Position Coach and has bounced where the money was right his entire career. He left UT 2 times before his 2rd stint here,and each time for greener pastures.

I think we have already seen the early enrollments speak their minds as to whom they placed their trust in.

CDD, brought in MHO a much better position coach than Kippy. As much if not more experience with shaping top NFL talent into great WR's. so while the few claim loyalty to a man who had left us filling a gap twice before, seems to have played a huge role in MH's decision to give the job to a MAN he knew would stick.

The coaching game is a game unlike most will ever experience in their lives. You work endless hours, watch more film until you think you couldn't possibly watch anymore.... you break it down and then break down what you already knew into every conceivable variance of what you suspect or don't know. Good lord, I'd love to break down the time I spent studying film and access it to a dollar amount.

When all is told and at the end of the day, we'll be proud MH let Kippy slide back to the NFL to take a staff posititon with Carroll, and quietly think to himself, " If I would have hired him and he reverted back to his normal bolting, then I'd be looking for our 4th coach in 4 years.

And to tell the truth...... I don't see what or why people have a problem with this.... but then again you have the uneducated few still clinging to a hope that TT ( Trooper Taylor, and Kippy) would have led us to the promise land....... TT is a blight on a coaching staff, as he too has bounced from job to job and you then cry foul because your man wasn't given a chance to run or be a part of a program they ALREADY LEFT, for greener pastures.

The time to grow up is now. CDD makes an impact in homes when he sells himself and the University of Tennessee, he brings all the cards to the table and let's everyone know how the hand will play out. Kippy as good as he seems to most, would have left us the first chance he got for more money and I think MH knew that and went with a CLASS ACT that will be with US as long as we'll have him.

CDD is and foremost a man to model yourself after. Strong, confident, Head strong, willfull, and full of integrity.I make a substantial contribution each year and have since 83 and I like where my dollar is going now more than ever.

I have been a part of the VASF, and Tennessee Fund, from 83 and my money has never stopped going to my school nor will it, but I have to say, I feel better about it now than at any time before. CDD, I seldom do this but I place my heart, soul, and checkbook behind your hire and hope that you stick to your guns, and I know from listening to your mom on PF today, you love our tradition, and want us to excel beyond belief.

Take us where we long to be Coach,

TommyJack writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

I'm with rclarkfork. Never agreed with any of your windy posts, hoss. No reason to start now. You, of all people, should not bring up jabbering to hear yourself jabber. Hoss.

AtticusFinch_WAW writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

Duke,

I normally enjoy your posts because for the most part we agree, I too think CPF should have gone out in a classier style, but he didn't. We have to grow from this and get over that, and accept life as it comes to us.

CDD will make us proud, I would be willing to back it up with money which I have being a Tennessee Fund contributor because frankly, I relish the thought of others seeing UT in a class by itself. Let the traditions, facilities,and the program draw young men to want to be here.

Trust in CDD, this one will make us proud and give us a reason to climb the highest part of Rocky top and scream....... WE ARE TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!!!

barrym writes:

I don't know Kippy Brown by reputation that well but he's got the pro experience and connections that a lot of recruits are looking for. Dooley ain't got none of that and I don't see how he can hire coaches with that kind of background...he just doesn't relate.

I'm here in Atlanta, and on talk radio they're talking about how Georgia's new defensive coordinator didn't even take off his Dallas Cowboys gear before he started interviewing recruits. That's an impressive connection. I wish Dooley well but he's about as big a no name as you can get. Anyone know about the La.Tech coaches he's bringing on board? Whuppee. Well maybe in 6 or 7 years we'll be able to tell if he's growing into the job. At least fans will not have to suffer through any stadium additions.

AtticusFinch_WAW writes:

in response to barrym:

Barry,

Please if you are going to post, have a clue about what you're talking about. Not Slamming or hating but your post is ...hmmmmmm unacceptable for our program. Get a clue before to try and nullify the good CDD is taking care of.

In other words, read the site, and see what's going on before you appear as a dumb a&&.

mhwhite63 writes:

Fire Hamilton now. Don't wait the requisite 5 years before we realize Dooley won't cut it. Do it now.

RegentVol writes:

in response to Docrok:

My thoughts exactly. Kippy directly contradicted himself. Dooley would have wanted him to stay if he was willing to. Now please God, let Lance Thompson stay...

RegentVol writes:

in response to sstirrer:

Kippy deserved a shot.

HAHA great post! Don Bosch, especially, is going to be mentioned in the news a lot less now

AtticusFinch_WAW writes:

in response to mhwhite63:

MH might have made the best hire of his career. CDD
will take us as far as we care to go, but you have to believe. Take a leap of faith........ if you're foot plants then get behind us.... CDD will bring us back....... please,,,,,just believe...

utclassof1992 writes:

in response to Tgordon:

Hamilton learned all he needed to know about running an athletic endeavor from his old boss, Steve Pedersen (look him up in your early 90s football programs). Yes, the same idiot that as AD ran Nebraska into the ground by firing Frank Solich and hiring Bill Callahan, who is such a jerk that the Raiders assistant coaches had to keep the players from beating him up. Pedersen was also know for his blatant disrespect for all things traditional at Nebraska, including former players. He actually went around the athletic complex and had many of the old pictures and awards taken down and replaced with NU advertising in an effort to make things "fresh and new". Hammy didnt fall far from the Pedersen tree.

OrangePsyched writes:

Georgia's new DC...did they have an opening? Who cares? Brown knows the deal, he steps in for the good of Tennesse. He stepped in for himself. He was all Orange because the was hoping for the HC position. I would still like to stay if not chosen, he said. That was candidate speak, while calling Carroll about possible opening if not chosen. DeLuca and Bolivar Bob and other naysayers laugh at Coach Dooley's coaching at La Tech and would have preferred a Memphis Tiger reject. Guess he didn't say the right thing at that interview either because they chose Porter. Brown couldn't even get a HC position in Conf USA, so go on and talk about the WAC. Kippy is loyal to Kippy, that's why he left twice before this. Nothing wrong with that, just don't make him to be a saint.

Caspian writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

Seems like some people always view every event in life through race-colored glasses. Believe it or not, race is not the source of all outcomes, although many, apparently, wish it was. It would be nice to move beyond that mentality.

utvolfan98 writes:

in response to AtticusFinch_WAW:

Take us where we long to be Coach,

Finally! The voice of reason. I couldn't have said it better myself. I felt the Kiffin hire was a good hire at the time, as did most other faithful Vol fans. Things happen, & lots of times, it's a blessing in disguise. I am extremely happy with the Dooley hire, & Mike Hamilton is to be commended for how he handled this difficult situation. Great job, & great hire Mike. I'm glad you're here Coach Dooley, & I support you 100%. GO BIG ORANGE!

VolWoman writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

He tried to get the Memphis head coaching job and didn't. Do we want a coach that wasn't seen as the right guy for them? I'm grateful he was here during this rough week for our players but I don't believe Kippy is ready to settle down in one place yet.

Caspian writes:

I really like the fact that Hamilton hired the person recommended by Will Muschamp. Muschamp, as apparently the first candidate approached recommended Dooly highly, and said "He's your man." It makes a lot of sense that whatever attributes one values in your #1 top priority candidate would translate into trusting that person's opinion about who would be a good fit. The advice you get in this circumstance from your #1 guy you need to listen to very very carefully -- and most likely follow. I think it's a great outcome, and a great hire.

chefjorge writes:

Wow. I think I read all of the comments this time. If I lived where most of you live, there's no way I'd even still be up, but, whatever. I don't know what the eff I'm talking about. I accept it. I'm not an AD and when people talk about the x's and o's of football in a scholarly fashion I'm astounded, by how complex the game is. Some drool forms on my lower lip as I mouth breathe realize that I got my head stuck under the table. The one thing I do know is that our new coach's former boss just won the NCAA championship at our most hated rival and is widely considered to be the best in the game. Our new coach has a law degree and comes with a coaching pedigree. Do you think he's not soaked up the lessons. Did any of you go look at the schedule La Tech played last year? 4-8 with most of the losses in the single digits with cast-off recruits against some good teams. I think Boise State would have kicked the cr@p out of us too, maybe by more than ten. This is a game for brains, not "aw shucks" guys that we like because we think they're good dudes.

Oh, and to the KNS censors, the meaning of the word "phooey" is does not even approximate that of the word "cr@p" particularly in the context I was using it. "Phooey" means disgust or repudiation. I looked it up. "Poo" or "stool" would be more in line methinks. "They kicked the disgust out of us" doesn't sound right at all. Golly Moses I understand that you're trying to run a polite little forum here, but we are mostly adults and it's not as if the words "cr@p" or "he-double hockey sticks" are really all that inflammatory. Well, I guess HE-Double Hockey Sticks is rather a warm place, but maybe you get my point. I doubt it, but maybe.

MidTennVol writes:

Why is it every article I read about Mike Hamilton these days leaves me queasy? Feeling like we have a guy in over his head?

I'm 100 percent behind Coach Dooley but unimpressed with Hamilton these past few years.

Kippy deserved a chance, in my opinion.

nocleats writes:

To me, the bigger question is where do these leaks from the UT atheletic Dept keep coming from? Muschamps, Cutcliff, Dooley, Etc... Who is it in that dept that is taking $50 dollar bills from the media and giving up info? That is something coach Dooley, and Mike Hamilton need to get fixed. !! I know everybody likes to crow about what they know, but a "slip of the lip....

VOLinDAWGland writes:

With no head coaching or coordinator experience at any level Kippy would have been a bit of a reach with limited upside. Hamilton decided to take another chance on a young, highly regarded head coach. Hopefully the second try will be a charm.

al2476 writes:

As usual Hamilton did as usual , bungaled the coaching search. Kippy, should have been the first one interviewed and then set the standard from him going forward. To interview him last with his mind made up was totally wrong. I'm not saying that Kippy would have been the best or not it is just the way he done the interview process. Hamilton needs to go after what he has put this university through.

Madkels writes:

Everyones emotions still seem to be running very high. I admit, the anger I displayed after hearing the news last week was explosive. But what is done is done. Reading these post it seams there are many who want to get rid of Hamilton. I say hang on a minute. Look, he hired CBP didn't he? And most were happy with "he whom I refuse to mention", right? So I believe Hamilton did the best he could under the conditions because he knows he will be judged on this hire. Do you believe he would do a poor job intentionally? NO! So therefore, let's get behind these coaches and pray Hammy pulled another "pearl" from an oyster. If it doesn't work, oh well, there is nothing we can do but hope the powers that be fix it.

smokyredbone writes:

Why Kippy? He left us three times, good luck to him and I'm thankful for both the time he spent here and that he was "not" named head football coach!! GO VOLS AND CDD!!!