Pearl sees no reason to change lineup

Tennessee men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl said he doesn’t anticipate any rotation changes Saturday afternoon at Georgia from what he used during Tuesday night’s 63-56 victory at Alabama.

That means junior point guard Melvin Goins and sophomore small forward Cameron Tatum might spend their second consecutive game on the bench after returning Tuesday from four-game suspensions.

“It will be the same situation as it was against Alabama,” Pearl said today at his weekly press luncheon. “We didn’t get into any foul trouble with Skylar (McBee), J.P. (Prince), and Scotty (Hopson). I thought all three were playing well enough.

“I did think about putting Cameron in a time or two in that (Alabama) game and just decided to stay with it because of the way Scotty and Skylar and J.P. were playing. Scotty had a really good game, made some big plays for us, and J.P. is effective out there because of his ability to penetrate and create for others. I just think we need that creativity on the floor because he’s one of the few guys that can do it.

“And Skylar plays so solid defensively. He just doesn’t get beat very often defensively, and of course he’s always the threat out there on offense to shoot the ball.”

McBee twice got fouled while taking 3-point shots against Alabama and was 5-of-6 from the line in those situations.

“His man has got to extend on him,” Pearl said. “It’s like our offense can run better with him out there because he’s got to be guarded. So I just never felt like (putting Tatum in the game), although I thought about it, a couple of times because of fatigue, that we needed to go there. If we’d have picked up two fouls in the first half, we’d have gone there.”

Pearl wants to see the offense improve.

“The defense has been good, the offense has got to be sharper if we’re going to be able to continue to win,” Pearl said.

Pearl, Donovan for OUTLIVE: Pearl and Florida head coach Billy Donovan will be featured speakers for the OUTLIVE (Tennessee Fights to Beat Cancer) program on Saturday, Jan. 30, at the Marriott Hotel. The Vols play host to the Gators Jan. 31. Special guests include Greg Anthony and Gus Johnson of CBS Sports. Proceeds benefit the OUTLIVE campaign against cancer and the Cancer Institute at the University of Tennessee Medical Center. For more information, call the University of Tennessee Medical Center’s Development Office at 865-305-6611, or email: development@utmck.edu.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to rcr12:

How old are you? 10.

I say keep the same rotation. It's working.

VolsFanInNC writes:

Don't fix what ain't broken...

GerryOP writes:

The 3 games in 6 days was starting to take it's toll last night. But, you gotta love this basketVol team!

bigorange61 writes:

Only problem I had was Steve Pearl in the backcourt trying to help Maze. Steve does some good things, but ball handling isn't one of them.

makelemonade writes:

in response to bigorange61:

I agree, there was a couple of times Maze actually ran into Pearl and it almost caused a turnover. He just gets in the way back there, definitely not the player to use as the safety outlet. I have been impressed by his defense and hustle lately though.

LDDFC912 writes:

I am a Kenny Hall fan. The kid works his butt off in the paint.

r100miller writes:

in response to bigorange61:

Agreed about SP handling the ball. He just needs a little more experience. He still looks a little nervous and jerky while he's on the floor. He hustles as hard as anyone and he's beginning to make a few plays. He is definitely deserving of the minutes that he plays.

cincivol writes:

in response to bigorange61:

I agree with you bigorange. No matter what Pearl says the team is better off with at least Cam playing in that role instead of Pearl. I almost threw up my guts when I saw him in there on the press. If he thinks that this team with this depth would make it through an SEC and then NCAA tournament without getiing too gassed he is lost. The guys payed the price!!! Either let them play or kick them off. Make a dang decision.

r100miller writes:

in response to cincivol:

He has made a decision. Cam and Goins have been allowed to remain on the team. Both of these guys have missed a lot of practice time. They should be required to work their way back into the rotation. Coach Pearl is the man and he has always handled things in the right way. It's just going to take some time for these two very good ball players to get back into the rotation. At some point he won't be able to afford to keep them off the court.

1bigutfan writes:

SP needs to seriously improve his free throw shooting. He did not look very comfortable at the line.

cincivol writes:

in response to r100miller:

I hope you are right because as a Vol Bball fan I know they cant make it far with what they currently have.

VolunteerLifer writes:

A gritty win last night. As Coach Pearl said, it was ugly. But any road win is beautiful.

I wasn't impressed with Woolridge last night. He got alot of his shots blocked inside and just didn't seem to flow with the rest of the guys. Although he hit four 3 point shots against Kansas, I didn't see him take or make any outside shots last night. He may be undersized for the four.

As long as we're going to play a half court game, I'd like to see Chism take the 4 spot and Hall the five. I think Chism can distribute the ball in the 'point forward' position, and it gets both of those big guys in there at the same time. That would free up Chism to step out and take his 3-ball when his man is packing in low to help out with Hall (who is really becoming a beast). But I wouldn't try playing them both alot of the time until Williams comes back, because he'll need to back them both up in case of foul trouble, etc.

I like the zone that Pearl throws at opponents just to keep them off guard. It's a good weapon to have in the arsenal. Our guys seem to have trouble rebounding out of it, however. I thought Bama got way too may offensive rebounds last night.

I think we are really coming on defensively but not on offense - poor shooting, ball movement, etc., but a win is a win is a win. Just win, baby.

murrayvol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

I do love this team Gerry and I'm just fine with the rotation as is.

These guys have bought in after the suspensions so let it roll until further notice.

Hounddog writes:

in response to cincivol:

What? Make a decision? I think the decision is made...let them EARN playing time. Yes, they can help the cause; however, I imagine sitting on the bench and dressed out helps with not only those two, but sends a message to other players...maybe I really, really, really, need to THINK BEFORE I DO SOMETHING STUPID!!!!!!!!

Not to mention a message to high school players and future VOL baskeball players. Let Coach Pearl do HIS thing becasue it's working.

I saw a letter to the editor in the USA Today last week, a writer from New York with nothing but good things to say about CP and this team. Also, I have received numerous e-mails, text messages, and phone calls from non UT fans from all over the country telling me how much they respect Coach Bruce Pearl. As a father who has had to displine children...I say let him bring his kids along at his pace.

Just saying. The Hounddog

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to cincivol:

If I was in Coach's shoes and I could play my son...? Duh!
Nevertheless let the "thugs play" too. Not much...yet! I've liked Tatum's play since he's been here. It hurt to see these guys mess up almost like it was my own kids. However some people don't learn much by their mistakes because there are no consequences...is this the case? I don't know so I'm just gonna have to trust Coach.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I liked your points volforlifer!

uttcut writes:

in response to VolsFanInNC:

Don't fix what ain't broken...

x2

Volumnus writes:

in response to 1bigutfan:

I like SP because of his character, a class act, but he is short on skills for his playing years. You can see Skylar and Josh growing before your eyes, but SP is probably as good as he is going to get.

Tennessee is getting a great lesson on the value of Walk On players. They have treated walkon's as a pariah or a necessary evil up until now(see Tanner wild's quote in the Hearald dispatch on 3/26/09 "As a walk-on, you are overseen by the scholarship guys, but you still have to stay focused and go all out in practice every day," Wild said. "You are expendable to them almost, so they don't tolerate much. You have to work extra hard."

And while he was given an award by the coaches at the BB Banquet, the playing culture needed to be changed. We should recognize the value of the resource of the "walkon" and there should be no "second class" Tennessee Players.

If we gain nothing else from this year we should change the culture of how we build our teams and treat our players. We have not exactly experienced a huge downgrade from the team that got its clock cleaned at USC. I would be willing to bet that the attitude that led Mr. Wild to make that statement is the attitude that led to the 4 suspensions. We have played well and added by subtracting. I hope the overall lesson is learned. I am proud of the young men who have been on the floor since Jan. 1. They deserve our support! GBO

MarylandVol writes:

in response to LDDFC912:

I am a Kenny Hall fan. The kid works his butt off in the paint.

Agreed, this team (especially Kenny) is playing the best defense I have seen yet out of a Pearl team. If they can keep playing smart this could be our best chance yet to really go deep into March.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

yeh!! Walk-ons Rule!

TheOpinion writes:

Yea I agree. We are doing good so lets keep it going.

richvol writes:

Oh come on coach...you can't be serious about leaving Stephen Pearl in the rotation or even as a sub. He is not even division II material. I love the kid's effort but be serious. He is not a threat to score and teams pack it in and they do the same against Prince because he can't shoot. When Prince and Pearl are on the floor together,and it's happened several times now,we only have three players that can shoot. It makes us too easy to defend.

Tatum can be an offensive weapon...Goins not so much. We need to work Cameron back into the rotation and sit Prince.

james#216392 writes:

Bone is bigger than Goins and plays good defense. I would keep Bone in. Goins, you snooze, you loose.

Whoever thought Pearl (son) could handle the press. Just when I get 100% on Pearls wagon, we hit a bump. Tyring to let son handle the ball is just stupid. However, keeping Goins and Tatum on the bench makes up for it. They wouldn't play the rest of the year.

As I have been saying, when it comes to Pearl's coaching, less is more. He coaches much better when he is forced to keep people in the game. When he has 12 players, he trys to play them and the team doesn't gell.

james#216392 writes:

in response to richvol:

Agree on Pearl but Prince can play defense. He should never shoot. Hopefully the team is learning not to give him the ball late in the game. He can't shoot fouls. Horrible form, worse than Barkley's golf swing. He should take the ball out however, he doesn't seem to ball smart so that might not work either.

I would not play Tatum until next year. I would only play Pearl when it was absoutely necessary. He tries hard, but very limited on talent. He will probably be a great coach some day. He seems to understand the game. I like his effort.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

BRUCE....do the right thing. Don't let these 2 play the rest of the regular season, maybe beyond. In a car with guns? Pot. Empty bottles? Set an example. TENNESSEE IS DOING FINE WITHOUT THEM. VOL NATION WILL UNDERSTAND IF WE LOSE AGAIN IN THE SWEET16.....

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

This team has that SPECIAL MAGIC, coming together under adversity. That YouTube video of your lockeroom speech after the Kansas win was goose-bump inducing and spine-tingling! Don't lose that!

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

Man, those guys that pulled together have become some story, huh?!!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

If you didn't see the postgame lockeroom...here it is...

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

I was just about to find it. Thanks!

ccantrell#227456 writes:

Team continues to struggle scoring out of the gate... I would keep the same players in the rotation, but change the starting line-up --

Pos Player
(1) Maze
(2) Hopson
(3) Prince
(4) Chism (bring out after fist time out)
(5) Hall (alternate with Chism after 2nd break)

Backups
(1) Bone
(2) McBee
(3) Woolridge/Tatum
(4) Woolridge/Pearl
(5) Chism/Hall

Last 5 minutes
Same line-up as starting line-up..
(Maze and Bone interchangable, depending on O vs D need)...

Coach C...

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

If you didn't see the postgame lockeroom...here it is...

Very nice. Pearl is quite the motivator of young men and as he has showed over and over despite the claims of some, he is excellent with the x and o's as well. I heard one of the announcer saying that there has probably never been a better coach at defending the inbounds pass. Great job coaches and great job to our players. As the players said, it's great to be a Tennessee Volunteer.

roloyo writes:

Why would you change anything with rotation???

GBO C'mon March

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to cincivol:

I agree with what the other person said about CBP making a decision because he already has. Tatum and Goins are lucky to still be on the team and must earn their spots back in the rotation. By the way, there is a reason why our basketball program has made it to four straight NCAA tournament appearances (will be fifth this year). CBP knows what he is doing and may be NCAA Coach Of the Year. Trust the Bruce! GBO!

in response to bigorange61:

Kinda wondered about that myself. I would have rather seen McBee or Hopson back there in those situations. Steven has given decent service banging and defending inside, setting screens, chasing loose balls, and such, but not against the press, in large part because guys in that situation get fouled a lot and he is a terrible free-throw shooter.

in response to cincivol:

I think a lot of us have been spoiled by CBP's "come at you in waves" philosophy. I watch a LOT of basketball, and there are very few really good teams that play more than eight or nine guys except for spot duty. Of course, it hardly ever hurts to have guys up and down the bench CAPABLE of contributing in case of need, but, I'm telling you, hardly ANYBODY runs guys in and out of games at nearly the pace that CBP USED to do, at least. And, as I have said before, they don't really play any faster or harder than many of those teams, either. I think the whole "fatigue" issue is overblown and should seldom be a problem with a RATIONAL substitution strategy.

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Woolridge took at least three 3-pt shots that I remember. He didn't make any of them and at least two of them were rushed from WAY too far out. I agree that his post offense needs a LOT of work, but he got several tough rebounds. I am pleased with the way he has improved over last year and earlier this season. You're right, he's not a real post man at this point, but I think he will get better at the position with more practice at it. After all, he was mostly playing as a wing before the...you know.

I'm not quite convinced I want to see Chism playing the role you are suggesting, though CBP seems to agree with you. At least, he seems to spend a lot of time out top when Hall is in the game. I guess I could go along with that strategy when Hall is in the game, but with any other combo, I want to see Chism inside. Good post, generally speaking!

in response to Volumnus:

Excellent post! Many great points and very well expressed! Keep up the good work.

fpcoach writes:

What we are witnessing is team basketball like we haven't seen in a while. CBP is doing his finest work to date. I would never get on here a pretend to tell CBP how his rotation should be. Players have good nights and bad nights. SP deserves his minutes. I went back and watched the Kansas game again, focusing on the play off of the ball. SP's play in that game was invaluable. I agree his FT shooting has got to improve and hopefully it will. You know the kid is working his tail off. As for the last five minutes, different games demand different lineups and CBP seems to be pulling all the right strings.
Bruce Pearl is the best thing that could ever happen to Tennessee basketball. He has made UT Bball relevant, something I never expected to see. GBO............Beat them dawgs.

in response to richvol:

Maybe a LITTLE hard on SP, but a valid point of view. I would LOVE to see Cam get some of JP's minutes, but for some reason CBP SEEMS to love JP. I don't see it myself, but CBP is the coach and the team hasn't lost any games because of JP, so I guess I'm fine with doing it CBP's way.

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

If you didn't see the postgame lockeroom...here it is...

I've seen it before but it definitely sent chills up my spine! The feeling in that locker-room, once it is experienced, becomes an memory that lasts a lifetime. That is EXACTLY what so many of us who have played sports do it for. These guys seem to truly have something special going for them right now. I just hope they can sustain it for about two and a half more months!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to james#216392:

The rotation problem will only get worse next year. We have 11 players now that have shown they can play. Next year there will be 12 that can play and contribute, counting Mayben (?) plus the 3 recruits. Don't know how the players will react or how the rotation will play out. There will be some unhappy players.

coach75 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

i think woolridge can help chism at 4 spot, that will allow chism to rest and swtch with hall at the 5.

tulelakevol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

yeh!! Walk-ons Rule!

Yeah!! Walk ons double rule!!

GO WALK ONS!!

Willis writes:

Me neither, coach.

tnseamstress writes:

We've won, but it hasn't been pretty. I agree with Coach Pearl's decision not to let the two play yet. Let them practice and 'earn' their spot to play. We've seen some really good playing from the walk-ons and it is exciting! Let'em continue to play. Go Vols!

elmoe writes:

Give Skylar a scholarship!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

I agree; for whatever reason woolridge has gone back to his old form..To stay on top woolridge and maze must score 14ppg..They must get Tatum some playing time; S Pearl's got heart but no talent; can't even make a layup or freethrow; Tatum is 6'5" and should play at least 10 minutes

Vols4Braves writes:

in response to richvol:

Sit Prince???? Are you kidding? 95% of the time he is the ONLY threat to slash to the basket and create something. Not to mention the kid is long and plays pretty solid defense most of the time. He shut down Xavier Henry when he was in the game.

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

The new transfer's name is Maymon, but you definitely raise a valid point. That team may well be quick and deep enough to play a true "40 minutes of hell" style, in which case they may actually be able to play that many guys. Otherwise, the gracious plenitude of numbers may well be a curse.

in response to Vols4Braves:

I'm pretty much with richvol on this, but CBP clearly agrees with you. If JP would just tone down the "hot-dog" tendency and play solid instead of ALWAYS trying for the high-light reel play, it would at the very least be better for this ol' fan's blood pressure!

Share your thoughts