After talking to Dooley, DB Loften commits to Vols

Apparently Tennessee doesn’t need Willie Mack Garza to close a deal.

Derek Dooley, who was named UT’s coach last Friday, has already sealed a big one without the departed assistant.

Eddrick Loften confirmed his intentions to sign with UT on Saturday, and the commitment from the defensive back out of Irving, Texas gives Dooley another solid addition to a class that has seemingly picked up steam over the last few days. And considering the 5-10, 195-pounder’s position, it provided another example that even with some uncertainty on the staff still, the new guy leading it knows what he’s doing.

“Coach Dooley is a straightforward person,” Loften said after becoming the 17th commitment for 2010 along with eight mid-term enrollees. “He told me he wants to come in and change the whole program around and everything, he told me about his background from NFL to college and everything he’s done, so he seemed like a pretty cool guy to me.

“Basically it was just talking to coach Dooley and everything about how he wanted to change the program around. Then with Eric Berry leaving and another defensive back (Dennis Rogan) leaving, it definitely can put me in a good position.”

Garza handled both of those guys as their position coach last year, and he also had the lead in recruiting Loften before unexpectedly leaving for Southern California last Thursday. But his decision to leave the Vols clearly didn’t impact Loften’s to join them, mostly because the Rivals.com four-star safety seemed more interested in the opportunity to contribute early and the way Berry was used a year ago.

Aside from linebackers coach Lance Thompson, the rest of the defensive staff has followed Lane Kiffin to join the Trojans. But Loften indicated that UT doesn’t plan on changing much from the system that worked pretty well a year ago and for a long time before that in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“I kind of see myself being used like Eric Berry,” Loften said. “I see myself as a safety, and I like to come down and hit. That’s my thing.

“They told me a lot about how (Berry) would come down to the line of scrimmage and play up close and everything, but also play deep. That’s basically what they talked about, and they really want to do the same thing.”

Who will ultimately be in charge of that defense remains to be seen, though Tampa Bay linebackers coach Joe Barry has intimate knowledge of the system and appears to be a prime candidate for the coordinator’s job.

One sticking point might be a contract with the Buccaneers that still has a year left on it, but either way, Loften is putting his trust in Dooley.

“(Garza) up and leaving was a big surprise since he was the one that really recruited me and everything,” Loften said. “But I haven’t really thought that much about it. I tried calling him, other than that I haven’t really talked to him.

“Coach Garza is a real good person, he’s the one that called me and was talking to me, so he was a big part of it at first. But really it’s the schemes and the fans and everything there.”

One change on the coaching staff wasn’t enough to tilt the scales for Loften, even at his own position.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volfan80 writes:

GBO! Bring then in Dooley

Orange_Crush writes:

First!!! Just kidding, good pickup, keep them coming.

CincyOhVol writes:

Oh, Yeah!!!

stayingorange writes:

This is a good pickup and a good sign following Garza.
Hoping for more big news from the big visitors this weekend.

Skullz_VOL writes:

Nice

TrueVol70 writes:

Great get! Welcome Eddrick.

AWOLVol writes:

I believe this class will be comprised of young men who clearly want to play for Tennessee, not for some who's-who coaching staff. Given the choice, I will take a group of young men like these who want to be Vols first and foremost. This class, once it's completed and signed, will be very special to Vol fans everywhere...regardless of their final rating as a class. Given all they've been through already, these young men will grow to be leaders and will be dedicated to The Orange like few have.

touchdownrajionneal writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Coming up next...Rajion Neal

volzcrushm writes:

Dooley slippin up the holler
Dooley tryin to make a dollar
Dooley gimme a swaller
and I'll pay you back some day!! :)) GBO!!

appalachianvol writes:

Hea Piny, I don't care how may stars this kid has, he seems to fit our needs. Hows weather in Elizabethton?

RBC1950 writes:

Anybody heard anything else about a Defensive Coordinator

dvhill100 writes:

Welcome aboard young man. Bring skill and class with you and proudly wear the T.

Cldvols1 writes:

That's great! Keep up the good work Coach Dooley!!!

wags32 writes:

Lets not forget about myles jr what postion will he play exactly FS OR SS?

lahvolman2 writes:

in response to kane:

WHO SAYS ??????????

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Great choice young man! Welcome to BIG ORANGE COUNTRY!!!! CDD, keep em coming! Great job!
VOLS......TCB.....KOKO.....GBO!!!!!!!!!

senracjr writes:

Rivals has him as a four star recruit.

stayingorange writes:

in response to kane:

How about Kacy Rodgers?

DERELICK_MY_VOLS writes:

(“Talk to coach Dooley today,” the 6-foot, 200-pound Loften wrote on Facebook. “(Looks) like I’ll be at Tennessee next year. All bout them VOLS.” Garza was the lead recruiter on Loften until unexpectedly leaving for Southern California, but the departure seemingly didn’t impact his decision.)

Sold on the school not the coach(s) that originally got him looking at us....speaks volumes about his love of the university and from a football perspective...on the field kids like that will GIVE THEIR ALL FOR TENNESSEE EVERYDAY!

Hillbilly_Orange writes:

Great news! Welcome young man & GO VOLS!!

rockytopvol writes:

These coaches leaving shouldn't affect kids coming to UT.We were putting players in the league way before Monte,Lane,O,Garza,or anybody else.Others like OWENS,RICE,CHRIS JOHNSON didn't need a big name coach to get them there, they made it on their own by playing, at the end of the day kids that go for coaches normally don't turn out to be great regardless of how many stars they have, but kids that go to play and are hungry to succeed turn out to be difference makers. You don;t have to play in the SEC or even Division 1 to make it,if your good you'll make itfrom anywhere,even walking on.Great get in Loften. Hunter is solid also,we'll be fine..........

TennesseeGorilla writes:

in response to wags32:

Lets not forget about myles jr what postion will he play exactly FS OR SS?

Myles will probably start at SS this guy will be a special teamer and back up, looks like a SS

abi writes:

Virginia tech wins with 3 stars athletes who played hard and respond to good coaching . Give our coaches some time with these guys and see how we will win big . we are Tennessee go vols we will be back in due time

tnsportsman writes:

in response to AWOLVol:

Agree completely and we Big Orange Fans need to make sure this class are always told how much we appreciate them as the ones that helped the Vols on our way back!

Great commit Coach Dooley, go get them!

GO VOLS ALWAYS UNTIL MY LAST BREATH!

rockytopatl writes:

in response to kane:

Your link is dated Jan. 10. Don't that that happened, Einstein.

navyvolinva writes:

This young man can hit!!!!

Mule_Days_King writes:

Good get Coach. Keep 'em coming.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Your link is dated Jan. 10. Don't that that happened, Einstein.

Don't THINK that happened. Latest link is still a Tampa Trib story from yesterday, Dooley talking to Barry:

tnsportsman writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Sound likes Barry would already be a done deal, if not for the Bucs holding to his contract. Wow, what a strange concept, coaches being required to fullfill a contract! That's the NFL, learn NCAA & SEC!

TWintVol writes:

in response to kane:

Your an idiot go back to bamma moron.

Docrok writes:

in response to triumphtheinsultcomicdog:

Thanks for the positive comments! And I agree with you, I think Dooley will make the Vol Nation Proud and the rest of the SEC.

RBC1950 writes:

in response to stayingorange:

How about Kacy Rodgers?

Maybe waiting on Jets to loose so we can offer Chuck Smith

PlaidinOrangeandWhite writes:

Scout has this guy at 6'0- this article says 5'10.

TWintVol writes:

in response to kane:

I live in North Carolina. Washington N.C. to be exact anytime your here just log on and we will meet anytime and discuss this like men. If you can that is. Either way log on to your own site. You come on here and call us dumdazzez and then act upset when someone calls you out. I wish I still lived in Tenn. because I would love to meet you face to face and deal with it. Maybe one day!!!

volsfan74 writes:

Kane why don't you head your sorry bama arse to the walmart and hang out with the bama graduates. Maybe bama will have a another trophy celebration! Hey Kane does 10-5 mean anything to you? That is UT's record against bama the past 15 years.

ringgoldvolfan writes:

in response to kane:

ringgoldvolfan writes:

Looks like CDD might know what he is doing!!

volsfan74 writes:

Everyone can be a tough guy with a keyboard and monitor. I will say that I am impressed that a bama fan knows how to use a computer.

TWintVol writes:

My mother passed away 4 years ago idiot. I am a married father of 2. I married someone who isn't my sister which I know is a foreign concept to you folks from bamma.

JACK8254 writes:

It is time for reality check. No one loves UT FB more than I ( I couldn't sleep for 2 days after the Wyoming tragedy 2 years ago). I have been going to games and dying a little with each loss since 1954 . There is no way in hell that a coach who has inferior talent to Ga, Fla, Bama, Oregon, etc and couldn't beat powerhouse teams such as Nevada,Idaho,Navy, etc in his last job, is going to wave a wand and make us a contender again. If it happens ever, it will take a least 3-4 years. That is reality.

ringgoldvolfan writes:

The more I hear about our new coach, the more I think we'll be better off in the long run.

volsfan74 writes:

in response to kane:

Actually I live in Peachtree City, Ga but we do have a cabin in the Smokies and I'm there for every home game. But I'm sorry I will not be able to meet you I'm a happily married man.

mlsoft#228820 writes:

in response to kane:

Ummm -- you might want to check the date on that press report about Coach Barry. It is from a year ago.

I suspect Barry will be our new DC, but that is not certain until Dooley and he announce it as official.

mlsoft

JACK8254 writes:

Dont pick on Bama Guy, football is all they have in that wretched and God- forsaken place. Without football , it is a total wasteland.

volsfan74 writes:

in response to JACK8254:

Jack I agree it is going to take some rebuilding, but in all honesty I don't think Kiffin and his crew would have been any better than 8-4 this year. But the faithful fan that you are you have to be happy that Dooley is embracing the UT Traditions

TWintVol writes:

in response to kane:

I'm done with you idiot, Go Vols! I think we will be fine and sooner than people think.

smokies_old_soul writes:

welcome to knoxville eddrick - glad you want to be a Vol.

wayoutwill writes:

in response to volsfan74:

Yo podner,he's prolly getting help from his sister/girlfriend;who took a lil' 'pewter class in 7th grade;I think it's mandatory for all 'bamians to get a 7th grade education

vol94 writes:

in response to volsfan74:

Yes but you apparently do not know how to use correct punctuation or grammar.

vol94 writes:

in response to vol94:

Yes but you apparently do not know how to use correct punctuation or grammar.

sorry vols fan. I meant to reply to
the 8 yr old troll, Kane.
Please accept my apology.