Juco defensive standout Stanley picks Vols

Glenn Stanley, a four-star linebacker from Eastern Arizona Junior College, committed to Tennessee late Sunday.

The 6-foot-2, 245-pound Stanley was one of nine official visitors to UT this weekend.

He played at Trinity Catholic High School in Ocala, Fla., and committed to Central Florida on Oct. 22. The Orlando Sentinel reported that Stanley was supposed to enroll at UCF in January but never started classes.

“What really sets him apart is his speed,” Eastern Arizona coach John O’Mera told The Orlando Sentinel last October. “He is 6-foot-2, 250, but he can run the 40 in 4.4. Not many people can do that. He just can get all over the field to make plays.”

Stanley was named to the Western State Football League first team.

UT has 19 commitments, eight of which are already enrolled. The Vols are expected to sign approximately 27 prospects. National Signing Day is Feb. 3.

Calling Calvin: Former UT commitment Calvin Smith was wowed by his official visit to Alabama over the weekend.

“Phenomenal. Everything about it was great. They really treat you right down there,” the defensive tackle from Hialeah (Fla.) High School told Bamaonline.com. “They really couldn’t have done anymore to convince me to come to Alabama. It is really going to be a tough decision. Alabama is going to be right up there when I make my decision.”

The 6-4, 265-pound Smith was committed to UT before UT’s coaching change. He is still considering the Vols, but has opened up his recruitment. Dooley met with Smith and his teammate, defensive end Corey Lemonier, last week.

Smith is expected to announce his decision on Feb. 3.

Not Hunting: Receiver Justin Hunter from Ocean Lake High in Virginia Beach, Va., says he is still committed to UT even though the lead coach in his recruitment, Willie Mack Garza, left Thursday to join former coach Lane Kiffin’s staff at Southern California, just two days after securing Hunter’s verbal pledge.

“It’s been hard,” the 6-4, 175-pounder told Volquest.com “A lot of coaches are trying to see if I am interested. The phone ringing on and off the hook. But I don’t want to talk to anyone else or visit anyone else. I am done. I am ready to sign with Tennessee.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

UT4ever writes:

You the man Hunter!! Calvin, don't go to Bammer just cause they pay da big bucks!! HOHOHO!!

andy112382#209793 writes:

Amazing how this class is shaping up seeing the mess that took place 3 weeks before signing day!

GO VOLS!!!

vols615 writes:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEY we will be ok GO VOLS

wayoutwill writes:

I read on Scouts.com that palardy committed today?anyone else?

duncanvol writes:

now thats a middle linebacker right there! dont know if im buying the 4.4 40 tho. maybe on a stop watch. hey but 250 and fast! he might end up playing defensive end. go ahead coach make all the nay sayer's eat crow! GBO!

volstasis writes:

I wonder how Ambles feels now that his wonderful coach is leaving him hanging once again. I just read on rivals that USC has dropped him as a target. I think he would look better in orange and white anyway. I think he needs to move quick though. Because if we somehow land Nance and Rogers, I think that Markeith will be a**ed out.

bigorange61 writes:

Notice how Ambles is miraculously now a 5 Star recruit? He started as a 3.

volstasis writes:

in response to bigorange61:

Notice how Ambles is miraculously now a 5 Star recruit? He started as a 3.

I saw how he got a fifth star. All bull aside, that kid made a few sweet grabs in the USAAAB. I know that some of them got called back, but this guy is an athlete. He just needs to get it straight and come on to the hill. This is a bias request I know. I realize he's 18, and has got a big decision, but I would like to have him here this fall. GBO

volstasis writes:

in response to Volnupstate:

I'm in agreement that losing Ambles doesn't hurt us as much now that we have Hunter. I also don't want to lose C. Smith to Bama, but if so, that wont be that bad either. But yes, we are thin on the O line, and I would love to land some big eaters up front.

duncanvol writes:

in response to volstasis:

I have not seen that on rival's but if it is true I am surprised. I cant see Kiffin turning this kid away. If he did I dont know if we want him anyway. Someone made the comment that he sounded like Kelly Washington. But on the other hand coach Dooley is just what this kid need's a humble but very confident coach to guide him. These kid's confuse arrogance with confidence. GO VOLS!

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

Stanley looks to be an ok add to our "wreak havoc" LB corp.

OrangePsyched writes:

I really believe that we will end up with Nance and Rogers. Nance seemed to be real interested in Tn. but didn't get the love from Kiffin. Now that he knows that it was just Kiffin that didn't want him, I think that will sway him back. He is a darkhorse at QB. Rogers of course is a stud. I will stick with my prediction. I think we will finish in Top 10 on 3rd. ROCKY TOP!

johneyreb79 writes:

CDD is putting together a solid class. I will stand firmly behind him and this university. I love Tennessee and there is a reason that we are called the volunteers. We volunteer to stand by our team and our university. If you dont like what is going on at UT then take your a## elsewhere.

johneyreb79 writes:

That comment wasnt directed at anyone on this post just basicaly from what I have been reading the last couple of days.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to Volnupstate:

They don't go to Bama for cash, friend. They go to win. Then they get the cash in the NFL. Get over yourself.

volstasis writes:

in response to duncanvol:

Click on his profile link.

greggds writes:

in response to duncanvol:

take a look at his highlight film posted on youtube, and you will no longer doubt his speed. He has all the potential of being the most disruptive JUCO DL/LB that Tennessee has signed since Leonard Little.

volstasis writes:

in response to duncanvol:

BTW, I also read Kelly Washington comparison. I beleive this kid is a talent outstanding, and I agree that some good guidence from Dooley will take him a long way. He seems to be a pretty sharp person.

dvols writes:

allllllllllllllllllll vollllllllllllllllll

LaneViolation writes:

his highlight reel shows his spped and strength but the most impressive thing is his ability to time the snap on his blitzes. He is often making the play before the qb or rb get the ball or make their drop. Should find immediate playing time.
Good get.
GBO!

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to volstasis:

I suggest we forget Ambles. Anybody who upon practically being an eyewitness to Cancer Kiffin lack of character and still goes whoring after him isn't Vols material. it brings to question that particular player's own character and mindset. Stay with the guys who WANT to be here, Ambles is little more than a Kiffinesque glory chaser. Let them have each other. And if they (make that when) divorce, let him go somewhere else. We don't need the drama he brings, we got more than enough from the Cancer Kiffin malign tumor as it is.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to bigorange61:

Notice how Ambles is miraculously now a 5 Star recruit? He started as a 3.

I guess it's who pays enough to get them playing in the All Star game. He had a major drop in that game. He's very human.

jobrando#216494 writes:

HaHaHa--are the trols gone. Great addition that will be on the battle field soon.

jobrando#216494 writes:

I hope today will be Chuck Smith day with the Jets season over.

cumberlandVOL writes:

6-2 250 and runs a 4.4? terrifying

jcp201 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

I hope today will be Chuck Smith day with the Jets season over.

Is this just wishful thinking or something more?

txvolsfan writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

I agree Joe they don't go for the cash they go to win championships, but we have more players in the NFL than the Tide right now.

nocleats writes:

Wonder what the over/under is on how long it will be before Hooker writes about who turned Tennessee down in recruiting, or uses the Kiffin or Fulmer words? My guess is we wont make it till bedtime tonight.

VolsFanInNC writes:

I wonder if Smith got a tour of Walmart to see the trophy?

dgcarter43 writes:

A good pickup for the vols. With his size and speed, he could be a defensive end, tight end, as well as linebacker. I believe there are a couple of surprises yet to come, whether it's a Cory Lemonier, Calvin Smith, and even Cory Nelson has one more surprise visit he hasn't disclosed. I still believe Tn. will end up with a top ten class.

TommyJack writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

I hope today will be Chuck Smith day with the Jets season over.

Do we know if Chuck graduated?

TLepage writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

I read on Scouts.com that palardy committed today?anyone else?

he went from a "soft" verbal to a "solid" verbal..... Which is good, we really need him.... I wouldn't put too much weight into what scout says they had stanley listed at a S..... Safety at 245 lbs? pretty stupid....

TLepage writes:

in response to CadmiumOchre:

Dead on.... and i was the one that made the "Kelly Washington" comparison.....

Ayres_Hall writes:

It's no too difficult to get blown away at Bama when supporters are extending the $100 handshake. I'm sure Calvin Smith came back with a nice bounty, an appetizer of sorts.

AncientVol writes:

Getting skill position players is great, and Stanley's committment is great news. But we must get more blue-chip signees in the 5 interior offensive line positions. Effective run blocking and pass blocking will be crucial to the success of the talented players already signed at QB, RB, and receiver. Let's get some 4-stars and 5-stars in the OL.

TLepage writes:

Does anyone know what Zach Fulton's official status is???? I am aware that he is still committed, but after Kiffin left he said he was going to take some visits to big 10 schools.... What is the deal with all of this and is he still a firm UT commit or does he have one foot out the door?

Volways writes:

Chuck Smith! Chuck Smith! Chuck Smith! Chuck Smith! Come home Chuck!

badkarma01 writes:

Looking real good, now we need the beef on both sides of the ball...

AllVols writes:

Sounds like a great pick-up for Tennessee. I don't keep up with JUCO guys much, but this guy could be the real deal. He has Jerod Mayo size but is obviously faster.

It is great to hear about Justin Hunter. I'm proud that the young guy can make a decision for himself and block out all of the distractions.

Calvin Smith, re-commit!

AllVols writes:

in response to TLepage:

Agreed. Not to mention, scout gives away 5-stars way too easily, and sometimes to guys that should even deserve them. I've seen 5-stars on scout while rivals has them at 3.

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to TLepage:

Zach is all Vol. He took one visit to Iowa I think. He then cancelled a visit to Illinois and announced that he is fully committed to Tennessee.

Texassean writes:

in response to volstasis:

I was at the Alamo Dome watching Ambles. He really was incredible. But my wife and I were both not sure of his upside (don't laugh, she knows the game). His size is a concern, for one. Plenty of ability, not sure about the focus. I think he would help the momentum of our recruiting class, but not sure how much he will ever help in the field.

jsm67vol writes:

Too much empasis on the stars with these recruits. 4-5* talent is great but it sure seems like some of these guys let the stars go to their heads and never pan out on the field. IMO many 2-3 star guys come in feeling like they have something to prove and turn out to be better players because of their desire to improve.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Jimmy Hyams far outshines him in VOL negativity. I think Scout and Hyams are the anti-VOLS

volboy81 writes:

THANKS for staying committed Justin...come join him Calvin! GO VOLS!!

ORNGFACTOR writes:

in response to volstasis:

Ambles is going to NC aka as a basketball school. Ambles is a stud. Its sad he got caught up in that coaching drama but on the flip side so did other recruits but they are staying with TN.

Ambles could start day 1 at TN and its very much so a more wide receiver friendly school than NC.

ORNGFACTOR writes:

I'd love to see an updated list tomorrow. But then again its a toss up till Wednesday.

Big Orange nation start praying for these men!

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to Texassean:

I'm like you...mixed emotions on Ambles. I would love to see him as a Vol. But if he ends up somewhere else, so be it. To me, 5 stars means you're going to make it in the NFL. If he gets his mind right, Markeith has a chance. But he has a lot to learn.

anythinGOrange writes:

6'2" 250?!.....DAAAYUMN!

bigorange61 writes:

in response to AllVols:

Then you have 2 star (now 3), Cole Marcoux who comes into the Army All Star came and shows the big name players how to get it done. To think the guy had to win a reality show just to get into the game.