Hooker: Speed a main tool for juco linebacker Stanley

Dave Hooker

Tennessee's newest commitment could be one of its most athletic.

"What really sets him apart is his speed," Eastern Arizona coach John O'Mera told The Orlando Sentinel last October when asked of linebacker Glenn Stanley. "He is 6-foot-2, 250, but he can run the 40 in 4.4. Not many people can do that. He just can get all over the field to make plays."

Stanley, who is from Eastern Arizona Junior College, committed to Tennessee late Sunday. He was one of nine official visitors to UT last weekend.

Stanley said he felt a tight-knit passion from newly hired UT head coach Derek Dooley and his assistants. It was one of those assistants, linebacker coach Lance Thompson, who recruited Stanley through a tumultuous coaching change.

"It's like everything is a family in Knoxville," Stanley said. "It was a real good atmosphere when I went there."

He suddenly becomes one of the most intriguing athletes on UT's commitment list.

Stanley likely would have been destined to play defensive end in a 4-3 alignment, but the Vols could convert to a 3-4 under Dooley.

In a 3-4, Stanley could easily be a pass-rushing outside linebacker.

"I'm thinking that's what it is," Stanley said of the 3-4. "I'm going to be blitzing off the edge a lot."

Stanley played at Trinity Catholic High School in Ocala, Fla., and committed to Central Florida on Oct. 22. He never enrolled at UCF because his primary recruiter, linebackers coach Geoff Collins, left UCF for Florida International.

"I only had talked to one coach at UCF and he left," Stanley said. "That pretty much left me stuck. That coach left and all my motivation left. I hadn't talked to anybody. It just goes like that sometimes."

Then Dooley and Thompson started calling.

"There's a passion about the program," Stanley said. "They're looking to do great things."

Stanley also considered Oklahoma and Arizona State. He also had some preliminary talks with Florida.

UT has 19 commitments, eight of whom have enrolled. The Vols are expected to sign approximately 27 prospects. National Signing Day is Feb. 3.

Second Thoughts?: It would have been easy for quarterback Nash Nance and receiver Da'Rick Rogers from Calhoun (Ga.) High School to say "We're still committed" after their official visit to Tennessee this weekend.

The fact that they're not talking makes me think the Vols have a shot after their official visits last weekend. The duo hasn't returned multiple phone calls and text messages from the News Sentinel and haven't been quoted elsewhere either.

The sales pitch is simple: Play at a high-level SEC school together. No other school is offering that opportunity. Nance is committed to Vanderbilt; Rogers to Georgia.

Again, I'm speculating, but the "no comment" line sounds like "not sure" to me.

Mike Nance, who is Nash's father and Rogers' part-time guardian, offered this via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"The boys haven't had any time to reflect on their visit this weekend. Right now they don't want to comment except that it was a good visit. I hope you understand and respect this."

Best Policy: Credit Dooley for being honest.

Defensive tackle Pat McNeil isn't harboring any false hope that he's on top of Tennessee's recruiting board, despite recent interest by the Dooley-led Vols.

"He was recruiting me for (Louisiana) Tech and now he's recruiting me for Tennessee," McNeil told Scout.com. "They just got on me late and said that I'm pretty much a fall-back guy for them at this point."

McNeil said he hopes to visit UT or Baylor this weekend.

The Vols would appear to have a good shot at landing the 6-foot-3, 280-pounder from Davidson High School in Mobile, Ala. He's expressed interest in playing in the SEC.

The decision appears to be up to Dooley.

McNeil has scholarship offers from Duke, New Mexico, Louisville and Louisiana Tech among other.

McNeil said he won't make a decision until National Signing Day.

"I want to see what happens," he said. "I think I may get some more offers. Not every guy is gonna qualify, and things can still change and spots can open up."

McNeil said Baylor will tell him this week if he'll be offered a scholarship.

Austin Ward and Phil Kaplan contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

PlaidinOrangeandWhite writes:

Dooley is putting together some quality commitments. I like this guy!

utnut#215669 writes:

Thanks KNS!!!!

bobbytodd writes:

This guy is going to be a beast.

USNVOL writes:

Hey Dave ,
Now that was a nice positive report.
Thanks

dvols writes:

slam, bam, thank you mam!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

He sounds great but are you going to retract this article in an hour because your sources weren't correct?

Volmania writes:

Love to have Rogers since he is considered the second best receiver in the country. Nance showed a strong arm in the Army game by throwing the ball across the field at the goal line. Both would be great in Tennessee orange on signing day. Come to UT boys!

stayingorange writes:

Good review. How about some info on some of the other visitors from this weekend? Anyone?

keepitreal4vols writes:

I don't like package deals. Come to UT if you want to come to UT, 1 kid will be buried on the depth chart whining and the other 1 will be playing, trying to make new friends, putting in extra practice time but then has to go back to the dorm and listen to his high school buddy whine about his lack of reps in practice.
But hey, I'm just a guy staring at a computer screen, what do I know.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to aviator1:

Nice footage;pretty explosive and quick but not as good as the LB we lost to the gators..Those Olineman he was playing against couldn't block my sister

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Fast LB?

What kind of deal is that?

Mam. those mis-direction trots by Va Tech are finally starting to fade.

GBO

nocleats writes:

Lets hope he meets academic requirements. Im sure he will but always a concern w/juco players. See K Thompkins.. GBO

TLepage writes:

Any word on what position CDD and co. are thinking about playing Marteze Jackson? I'm thinking LB, but i'm not sure if there has been anything posted on this site about that, other then speculation by Dave Hooker......

TLepage writes:

in response to nocleats:

Thompkins is a moron.... Leonard Little made it here without problem from juco-land and he was practically brain dead.... Do you remember hearing him speak? It was painful and pitiful.....

hookkick writes:

Coach Dooley could end up being a diamond in the rough. Seems to be doing a lot of things for the long term,not a quick fix and false hopes. I hope he turns out to be the best ever! GBO!

Strap writes:

Mr. Stanley looks like he can play, but I don't think he is anywhere close to 250 pounds. He appears to have a trim, athletic build that at 6'2" I would think he is 210 or maybe 215. That size would make the 4.4 forty a bit more credible. I know the quote about his size and speed was from his coach, but something doesn't fit.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Strap:

Maybe it was the uniform.

AllVols writes:

I have to give a lot of credit to Coach Dooley. But, I also want to give a ton of credit to Coach Lance Thompson. He has been a class-act by sticking with Coach Dooley and Tennessee through all the coaching turmoil. He has been steadfast and humble in our pursuit to regain UT's image as a premier program. It still seems that the program is heading in the right direction.

Well done coaching staff. Bring in some more recruits.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to TLepage:

I have not seen much on Marteze Jackson, anywhere. So he remains a bit of a mystery. I do think that he was on the previous staff's recruiting screen. In one interview, Jackson said that he relied on his strength, and then he said his speed and emphsized that. But he is not listed with good speed. Is he faster than shown? Like I said, the guy's a bit of a mystery to me at this time.

thaclaw writes:

so last night i got to ask corey miller any question i wanted and i asked this:

who are some more big names you definately know are signing on NSD?

his response :

i HOPE Da'Rick Rogers and Chaz Green

take that for whats its worth!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes: