Tackle McNeil hopes Vols offer

Credit Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley for being honest.

Defensive tackle Pat McNeil isn’t harboring any false hope that he’s on top of Tennessee’s recruiting board, despite some recent interest by the Dooley-led Vols.

“He was recruiting me for (Louisiana) Tech and now he’s recruiting me for Tennessee,” McNeil told Scout.com. “They just got on me late and said that I’m pretty much a fall back guy for them at this point.”

McNeil said be hopes to visit UT or Baylor this weekend.

The Vols would appear to have a good shot at landing the 6-foot-3, 280-pounder from Davidson High School in Mobile, Ala. He’s expressed interest in playing in the SEC.

The decision appears to be up to Dooley.

McNeil has scholarship offers from Duke, New Mexico, Louisville and Louisiana Tech among other schools.

McNeil said he won’t make a decision until National Signing Day on Feb. 3.

“I want to see what happens,” he said. “I think I may get some more offers. Not every guy is gonna qualify, and things can still change and spots can open up.”

McNeil said Baylor will tell him this week if he’ll be offered a scholarship.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Homermoosevols writes:

Hope you make it...If you want to be here, I want you to be here.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

Agreed. We need players that want to play for this great University and it's fans, not a bunch of "Kiffinites." GO VOLS!!!!

mytrifecta writes:

The Sullins brothers proved the difference Heart makes on the football field. While we need the 3, 4 & 5 star guys...we also need those that have the burn to represent UT football.

iadvol writes:

I really hope CDD doesnt offer low-mid level recruits in order to fill a numbers quota. The last thing we can afford is another 2008 recruiting class!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

He has good size, but might be a little slow for dt. He seems to be on the waiting list for a few major programs, who are recruiting him but have not made offers.

FWBVol writes:

While I'm sure there is some concern about some of the schools that are recruiting this kid, the fact that Charlie Strong at Louisville has offered him a scholarship tells me he can probably play.

A lot of times offensive and defensive linemen are the toughest positions to project from high school to college because a big kid can dominate at the high school level against smaller players. Once they are tested against other big kids they sometimes don't show up.

They play a good brand of football in Mobile and it might be worth offering the kid just to get a foot in the door in the city.

ORNGFACTOR writes:

I remember being in high school with my life in front of me and tough choices to make. I hope you decide to come to TN

bigorange61 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Louisville's former coaching staff made the offer. Charlie could want him, or just doing the classy thing of honoring the previous offer.

Nevertheless, I hope nobody throws this kid under the bus just because he doesn't have enough stars.

GerryOP writes:

Remember a kid named Montori Hughes? Nobody wanted him either.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

FWB,
you make a very good point about Strong. He should know if the kid is worth it and if he wants to paly for UT then let's get him

allvols4life writes:

in response to iadvol:

I agree that we don't need to offer just to fill space, however with the lack of time to recruit that Coach Dooley has had before National Signing Day, we may be lucky just to land a complete class.

murrayvol writes:

in response to bigorange61:

He won't be going under the bus. He'll play somewhere.....just maybe not where he'd like to.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Remember a kid named Montori Hughes? Nobody wanted him either.

Great point, Gerry.

in response to iadvol:

Bad as we all might hate to think it, right now we DO need sheer numbers as much as top-shelf recruits. As many have said, including me, I am more interested in a recruit's desire to be here and willingness to work than I am about how many stars the recruiting services give him. It is just an unpleasant fact that we may have to try to do more with less in quality terms, for the rest of this recruiting year at least. The relatively slow staff-building process has pretty much taken us out of the running for the few remaining uncommitted top-level recruits, though I suppose we could still get lucky a time or two.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to volsrock54:

If, god forbid, we were to lose Palardy, can your paper boy kick well?

roloyo writes:

"He was recruiting me for (Louisiana) Tech and now he’s recruiting me for Tennessee,”

Isn't the same thing that POS ex-coach has been doin' at USuCk??? Whats good for the goose................

Docrok writes:

I checked the Rivals site on this kid, he is a 3 star recruit and he is being recruited by Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, And Florida State, probably waiting to see if one of their preferred DT's are going so sign and if not use him as a fall back the same as Dooley is doing. Maybe he can provide some depth at DT if we offer him! However seems like he would need a redshirt year based on his numbers and weight. So Dooley is not doing anything other big schools arent doing!

richvol writes:

The thing that I liked about Kiffin was the fact that he went after every 5* guy out there and did not back down from other schools like Fulmer seemed to do.

I hope that Dooley keeps this attack on other states top recruits up as we can get them if we show tenacity and a relentless desire to go after them like Kiffin did.

Docrok writes:

in response to Docrok:

Additionally this tells me that Dooley has a more appealing recruit or two at DT that he is working to get signed so that is good news also!

FWBVol writes:

in response to volsrock54:

This kid is a 3-star player. I know that's not good enough for some people on this site though.

It's a good thing that the recruiting services weren't around in the early 1980s rating players. If they had been Tennessee fans might have never embraced a certain linebacker named Dale Jones.

I don't know if you remember or not, but Jones wasn't good enough to attend UT out of high school. He had some growing to do. He ended up spending a year playing prep school ball at the old Tennessee Military Institute in Sweetwater, but still wasn't the great recruit everyone seems to push so hard for today.

I would guess that by today's rating systems Jones might have been a 3-star, but more than likely he would have been a 2-star because of his size and spend. But the kid had a nose for the football and he loved Tennessee.

You give me a team of Dale Joneses and they will win a lot of football games.

Of course this story didn't say Dooley had offered the kid, only that he could get an offer if Dooley can't get some of the other linemen he's after.

We need kids like this if nothing else to provide depth and maybe help with the scout squad.

516milesfromUT writes:

in response to volsrock54:

wait a minute vrock. go back and look at TCU's defensive class from the past 3 years. How many stars,or 4.6 40's do you see there. are you going to tell me TCU's defense throws newspapers?

shopsports#273141 writes:

We DO need bodies. The best we can find. Is it not true that we cannot take 35 guys next year just because we take 20 now and not 27.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Montori Hughes has done very little, so far. Not knocking him, just stating facts. He is a bit immature to play full-time in the SEC. This was the same issue with Demonte Bolden who was a 5-star recruit. Lot's of size and skill but little desire.

If the kid has a great work ethic, heart, and desire then he'll overcome some size and skill issues.

JCJ1986 writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

Heart? Are you kidding me? Who cares how much heart they had, they were both absolutely terrible. I'll take talent over heart anyday. Talent wins championships, heart goes to the Music City Bowl.

rockytopatl writes:

With that size and his speed being a problem, why not offer him and put him on the O-Line? Our needs are greater over there and maybe he'll grow into a fine guard or tackle.

FWBVol writes:

in response to shopsports#273141:

I hate to tell you, but you are wrong about the number of players we can sign in a year.

Last spring the SEC adopted a policy that a school can't sign more than 27 or 28 players in a class because of some of the tactics other schools, namely Ole Miss with Houston Nutt have used.

Nutt has a habit of signing something like 35 kids knowing that some won't qualify academically and by doing that he was able to accomplish two things the first being he would still have 25 kids enroll even without the ones that failed to qualify and secondly he would keep other schools from signing the kids.

ATL_VOL007 writes:

If Chuck Smith really is our new DL coach as most sites are reporting, then he should look at some film and take a visit to this kid and talk to him...he will be coaching him for the next 4 years, so he should be deciding if the kid really has what it takes to compete in the SEC.

flatrock writes:

Jabbari Greer, a 2-star at best, will be playing in the Super Bowl next month...Chris Donald, a 5-star, meanwhile, will be preparing for off-season workouts at UT-C. Please pay no attention to the ratings. Trust DD to sign the
ones who are capable of playing in the Big-Boy
SEC...and who want to bleed Orange!

volsoutlaw writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

I just hope Dooley keeps that in mind. I will give Kiffin credit for creating competition, and making the players work for a starting position. At least they were prepared to start when an injury occurred.

You have to give Kiffin some credit for making sure everyone was treated equal, and I hope the new coaching staff keeps that philosophy.

If a freshman is better than a senior and gives UT a better chance to win, he should be on the field not on the bench.

TelfordVol writes:

in response to volsrock54:

I'm not saying this kid is the next Dan Williams but Dan was a 3* on both Scout and Rivals. No doubt Dan will be getting paid for his work on Sunday's. Trust DD. His wife's a doctor.

tractoronthepole writes:

I wonder if we are checking out Nickell Robey as AJC is reporting he is about to de-commit from GA since Martinez was fired.

Pompey writes:

in response to iadvol:

The Dooley hire is making me uneasy.......

Ironcity writes:

in response to flatrock:

ones who are capable of playing in the Big-Boy
SEC...and who want to bleed Orange!

Three points here:

1st point. For every two start that makes it big, there are 200-300 that don't make it at all. No one can determine the desire of the players but the star system gives you a look at a point in time that best allows one to evaluate future results. I would rather try to win with a team full of 5 stars then a team full of two and three star recruits. Doesn't mean I will succeed but chances are I will win more then I lose.

2nd point Jabari Greer was a 4 star recruit with blazing speed out of high school. Bad example.

3rd point lets stop using Boise and TCU as examples of low rated recruits and teams that have made it big. If those team were in the SEC they would have 5 to 6 losses and at there zenith they would be a middle of the pact team. After the physical beat downs they would receive week in and week out there depth would be exposed and they would get pounded at the end of the year. Everyone know this but yet they keep throwing these teams out as examples of how it can be done.

UT would have dominated the WAC and that Mountain West conference so lets quit using those teams as a comparison.

wbsmd1 writes:

There is a signifcant difference in a kid that develops late and then surges like Hughes and one that will never have the potential to compete in the SEC like the Sullin twins. 5 star recruits like Eric Berry, Jamal Lewis, Heath Schuler typically are the difference makers although a few are busts.It is clear Tennessee is not a consideration for those type athletes because the kids are aware Tennessee has no star coach.

SGTSpurge writes:

I see a lot of people on here clamoring for 4* and 5* recruits, yet many of you same hypocrites were complaining that UT valued the number of stars over character and integrity. If memory serves me right, the complaints came when Janzen Jackson and co got arrested back in November. A lot of you were saying that UT should quit going after top talent because they were thugs and you would rather see less talent with more character, integrity, heart, etc. Now, which is it? Character or talent? Frankly, I'd rather have a team that doesn't compete for championships, but competes cleanly on and off the field, than have a team that competes for championships every year in both the NCAA and the penal system... .

GerryOP writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Really? Why would you say that about Hughes? Just curious.

bosscat writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Looking at rivals.com listing of comparable (3* DT with similar height, weight & speed) players, the schools they had committed to included: Kentucky, Arizona, N.C. State, Washington, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State and Michigan State. I really do not know how many 4* & 5* linemen were/are available, but I would guess not many.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Remember a kid named Montori Hughes? Nobody wanted him either.

Dupree is in the same category except for TDTN.

Bring this kid in!

bluetick writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Remember a kid named Montori Hughes? Nobody wanted him either.

Nice point Gerry. Have to appreciate this coach. Being straight forward with him.

rootin4volz writes:

Wow. A piece of actual reporting on this website. By Hooker, no less.

Stick to what you do best, Hook. You look like an idiot otherwise.

GreatToBeAVol writes:

in response to 516milesfromUT:

Well, that analogy might work, but TCU doesn't play in the SEC against SEC talent week in and week out. I'm not saying this guy couldn't be a good player for us and that we shouldn't offer him. I'm just saying, don't be too quick to jump on volsrock54, he has a good point. We do need top-tier talent, just might have to settle for a little less this year, that's why CDD is keeping his options open.

totoiv writes:

DTs are a premimum. You need to be able to rotate enough out so that they stay fresh. Teams like LSU and Bama stockpile DTs. And, this is a position of need at UT. This is one position I don't mind gambling on. UT used to be really good at finding so called "diamonds in the rough." If they bust you usually can convert them to Oline.

dvols writes:

in response to Homermoosevols:

Hope you make it...If you want to be here, I want you to be here.

first post, all i need to see!

OrangeVeins writes:

in response to bigorange61:

If, god forbid, we were to lose Palardy, can your paper boy kick well?

Palardy committed yesterday along with Glen Stanley I heard? Someone on here was posting about it...not sure though, but I do think he's staying! Why not?

OrangeVeins writes:

BIGGESTBPBREBORN writes:

in response to wayoutwill:

I read on Scouts.com that palardy committed today?anyone else?

That's true, he gave CDD a firm commit today..Lance Thompson got this Stanley kid, perhaps we should make sure his contract is restructured..GBO!!!

DarthWilson writes:

in response to JCJ1986:

I am glad your not our coach. Though talent is an awesome thing, You always need the kid with Heart. Would u say Utah was more talented than Alabama in 2008? Talent alone does not get the job done. The Sullins were out matched by some teams but they hung in there agianst others like NC Alabama this year. Oh Well some people will never be happy and some will always be happy.

UT_fan_from_GA writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Remember a kid named Montori Hughes? Nobody wanted him either.

He is a big disappointment so far!

DarthWilson writes:

in response to SGTSpurge:

A good post.... but I am greedy and still want championships also. You can find talent, heart, and integrity it doesn't always have 5 stars next to it.

GerryOP writes:

in response to UT_fan_from_GA:

He is a big disappointment so far!

Really? Why would you say that?

flatrock writes:

Correction: Greer was a one or two-star when he committed to UT in camp prior to his senior year.
AFTER signing, the pimps at the rating services
bumped him upwards. Same for Montori Hughes.
The 5-stars kids are easy to spot- even to the untrained eye; 2-4 stars kids are a crapshoot.
Please do not get carried away with these
"services"...the coaches are the experts here.
Trust them and donate your money to a youth
league program in your town!