Contract not Dooley's worry

Hamilton says 'No. 1 priority' for coach has been recruiting

Derek Dooley isn't a volunteer.

Even without a signed Memorandum of Understanding, the new Tennessee football coach is still getting paid. But nearly two weeks into the job for the Vols, he's just not getting the maximum amount yet.

Until UT athletic director Mike Hamilton gets a signed MOU from Dooley, the only compensation he'll receive will be his base pay from the university. Though the school hasn't released any information on Dooley's salary, that's likely still a decent check based on the $350,000 Lane Kiffin received for the same job a year ago, though it's only a small portion of a total package Dooley will be due once his deal is finalized.

There doesn't appear to be any great rush for either party to make it official right now, though, particularly since Dooley seems more concerned about doing his job at the moment than getting paid for it.

"His No. 1 priority has been recruiting," Hamilton said. "I think that's a tribute to him and the job he wants to do here."

Dooley has been having some success with it so far, salvaging a recruiting class that many expected to fall apart after Kiffin's abrupt departure earlier this month. He's also been assembling a staff around him with strong recruiting ties in UT's main areas of emphasis, though there are still holes left to fill - including a critical one at defensive coordinator.

There's also the small matter of signing his MOU with the Vols to attend to, but it's not like Dooley is forfeiting any pay by waiting and there haven't been any major issues in the negotiations either. UT can back pay whatever it would have owed him over the last couple weeks when the ink is finally dry, which possibly might not happen until after the weekend.

"There are no real disagreements, maybe just one or two things we're still going over and finalizing," Hamilton said. "Coach Dooley has been on the road recruiting and he'll be back this weekend for some campus visits, but this could still go through the weekend.

"The important thing is to have a complete MOU."

Eventually both parties will have one. But even without it, the Vols aren't really saving any money and Dooley isn't working for free.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Hope he will continue to impress on the recruiting circuit. Possible top 7-10 recruiting class. Depends on the final push.

Singaporehillbilly writes:

Hamilton has no common sense. Not only is there no contract but the MOU is not signed? How much longer can this Bozo run the athletic department?

TNvalleyVOL writes:

Dooley too busy for even his mama?

(1/18, hour 2, fast forward thru hurt)

mreed90 writes:

in response to Singaporehillbilly:

So I assume that every thing is now his fault. I don't think there is any issue would you rather have him recruiting or going over a contract.......no brainier my friend.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Singaporehillbilly:

Given Dooley's timeline and the urgency of keeping a recruiting class from collapsing and the need to replace 80% of the coaching staff, I applaud Dooley for not worrying with his contract.

I'm not sure what you expect out of Hamilton, but it isn't like he can chain Dooley to a chair and tell all the recruits to sit on the back burner while they hammer out the details.

Having said that, it would be nice if something was signed, but I have a little faith in what they're doing...Dooley's a Southerner. He's one of us...let's see how it pans out

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

The only thing that bothers me is that Hamilton let Kiffin go nearly a full year without signing a contract. I think/hope Hammy's got a better grip on this one.

vol_chaz writes:

details.. just details.. Dooley will earn his paycheck on the road this next week.... without a full staff at that. Hammy still needs to get him to sign it.. before the last guy tries to hire him too...lol..

runninbroke writes:

I hope he can win... Bottom Line! Not only because I am a big UT fan and I know big orange nation needs someone to put us back on top, I like the guy and I want to see him succeed. Everything I've read about him, hearing him speak, and knowing his family lineage, speaks of class. Something we sorely missed from the last regime. I drank the kool-aid before knowing that the other guy who will not be named might just get UT in serious trouble. I get no feeling from this man! Go DOOLEY AND GO BIG ORANGE!!

Volmania writes:

I am glad Hamilton did not press on the contract yet. It would be a disservice to this recruiting crunch and coach Dooley's potential big paycheck. Glad they are focused on what is important and will not sign something until they can both sit down and get it right. Dooley will get paid more for waiting after UT sees the class he will pull off.

Hamilton is smarter than you all think. He was smart enough to get coach Dooley in a horrible situation for us. He is smart enough to let the coach work for the school and then take the time to work out pay. This increases our recruiting class at least 5 spots!

FWBVol writes:

There was a day not too long ago when all of this could have been solved with a handshake between Derek Dooley and Mike Hamilton. In essence, that's what's happening now. Both Dooley and the University are showing good faith with the other and that can't be too bad.

jjsteel writes:

All a man has is his word. Without that...he is nothing.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Great Hire Mr AD but get the contract right. Keep the trolls away by making him very expensive to steal. You cant survive another Kiffin and you may not survive yet.

Singaporehillbilly writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

NeylandWest...I have no problem with Dooley and agree he is one of us. The problem I have is the continuing bad business practices that Hamilton continues to use.

Like it or not, having Dooley out representing the Vols as the head coach, without the minimum of a signed MOU, is a risk of another fiasco of a coach leaving.

I am not thinking it will happen, but given the circumstances of events that just happened and continue with assistant coaches leaving, why take the chance?

Coming to terms and agreement on a MOU is not a time consuming event and should be signed immediately. After NSD, Hamilton needs to be fired.

Maverickman writes:

I hope Kiffin dont hire him !!

Psychovol writes:

Get him under contract before SC hires him as a position coach.

Psychovol writes:

in response to vol_chaz:

The devil's in the details. One thing Hammy needs to get better at is contracts; either him or UT's lawyers.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to Singaporehillbilly:

I believe the risk of CDD leaving for another position is almost nill. The reason? I know of no other head coaching position with the stature of the UT job that is open. I am almost certain that CDD would not leave a head coaching job for an assistant coaching position. Therefore, I am OK with status quo provided that a MOU is signed soon. GBO!!

Psychovol writes:

in response to jjsteel:

All a man has is his word. Without that...he is nothing.

You must be talking about Lois Lane-Kiffin.

516milesfromUT writes:

516-UPDATE:
I hope that all who read this relize something,
After all that has happened to the Vol Nation over the past,lets say 6 years,we are coming full circle.
After the fall of Fulmer and his demise he was quoted when leaving as saying "the heart of the Vols is now divided". There are those who backed him, and those who kick him in it. He was correct, we were divided.
The rising of Kiffin, he had his moments, good and bad. not all were behind him either.i was sceptical at first, then started to like the "swagger", but like everyone, i was pissed in the abrupt ending.
Then the hiring of who? I had to do research on him just to see what he would bring to the table. Coach Dooley! What i hope that everyone notices is that he IS what we need. Naturally people are wondering what will happen, will he be good enough. The answer is...Yes he IS. I spend at least an hour or more reading all the posts here from all the fans, and noticed the change he brought US. We are all now wanting a coaching staff that wants to be at Tennessee. We all write we want kids coming in that want to give thier all for Tennessee everyday. We want them to have Heart,dignity,and the courage to fight for US! We are all wanting this. We are all coming together, as fans, as a coaching staff, and as recruits who have value, with or without 5*****'s. The Big Orange Nation is coming back together.We all want wins, we all want championships, but at the end of the day, WE ALL WANT TO GIVE OUR ALL TO TENNESSEE!
Notice the change in the posts here.
And thank you coach Derek Dooley.

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to Psychovol:

I think the devils dwell in contractual details. Although important - no one pulls out the magnifying glass until a job isn't done. Dooley is demonstrating that he is foremost a handshake gentleman and getting the job done is first...pay me later. This is a sign of great leadership. If he was sitting around refusing to do anything until the deal was ink'ed...then I'd be worried (kinda what I would have expected a lawyer to do actually).

jjsteel writes:

in response to Psychovol:

You must be talking about Lois Lane-Kiffin.

If the shoe fits...

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Singaporehillbilly:

You have several good points and I really hope we never endure another Kiffinesque departure.

Whether or not there are any MOU's or contracts signed, I'm fairly sure that the next coach that ever tries pulling another Kiffin would find himself wishing he'd never gone up o'l Rocky Top looking for a moonshine still.

bigvol662004 writes:

That is EXACTLY what we need around here in times like these....A man who's dedicated to the task at hand and not only the money he can get out of it! The contract will get done! Go Big Orange!

BobEl1960 writes:

December 2010 , Georgia fires Mark Richt . January 10, 2011 . Derek Dooley accepts his "dream job" at Georgia. January 11, 2011, Jim Haslam FINALLY fires Mike Hamilton.

shopsports#273141 writes:

in response to TNvalleyVOL:

Dooley too busy for even his mama?

(1/18, hour 2, fast forward thru hurt)

good listening. I personally am depending on those Gator hating genes that have to be there, since I suffer in south swamp. She is funny but talks a lot. Maybe too much. Vincent seems to be having a rough time with this. Too bad. While Dooley loyalties may be divided, I think Derek is out to prove to his dad he is his own man, own coach, and will succeed despite the Vincent reservations all his adult life.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

i like CDD(ill stand behind and UT coach) but can we fire hamilton yet?

BigBadVol writes:

I don't get this no contract bs. Didn't Hamilton learn his lesson the last time? What is so hard about signing a coach to a contract? Either you agree or you don't. I am not comparing Dooley to POS but this smells fishy. No matter what Hamilton says, MOU's are not worth the paper they are written on. They are like "no competes" very hard to enforce. I know recruiting is crucial but so is having a committed coach. Here we go again.

vols2#227315 writes:

Why wait for the contract to be signed, fire Hamilton now.

UTKfootball67 writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Even though that would cause more of an up roar for a little while, I do like the idea of that.

CarthageVol writes:

in response to BobEl1960:

What exactly do you think that you could do better than Hamilton given the plate he has had to deal with. You are WAY WRONG!! Hamilton inherited a NC coach in Fulmer that was sitting around too long at the buffet table and starting to read about how good a recruiter and coach he was. The BIG money loved Fulmer, took him for granted, like he did his job. Hamilton wanted to move in another direction, but Big Money had the final say. And don't tell me he should stand up to that, because you wouldn't either. At any campus, the Big Money talks loudest and last. The second losing season had to happen before Hamilton could get leverage. It did. We hired a 180 from Fulmer. HIGH ENERGY!! Well sometimes, the circuit gets blown. The majority of us liked the Energy and the possibilty of a top 5 recruiting class. Then IT happened, and you're pissed off at Hamilton. There's no blue print for what has happened over the last couple of weeks. Please, Please! Let's let the dust settle, and give CDD a three year window before we judge anybody in the the Ath. Dept. And for the record, I'm glad we have a "BIG MONEY" that loves the Orange and has given more blood, sweat, tears, and money than any of us on this board. You have to have the BIG MONEY! That's why we can be where we are Nationally. The state of TN does not have enough DIV I players to compete. We just don't.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

But it didn't make ay difference with Kiffin whether his contract was signed or not. He still left abruptly as if he didn't have a contract. Hopefully, Hamilton will learn from that one and put some protection for us in this next contract so we don't get burned again.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to CarthageVol:

Good point about Hamilton. He gets beat up a lot out here. I'm not privy to his conversations and inner-dealings, so I can't really comment much on how he runs the farm.

I do know that it would be a nightmare to deal with the plate he's been eating from the past 3 or 4 years. People tend to forget that Hamilton is the same guy that brought Bruce Pearl in here.

Did he make a mistake with Kiffin? Sort of. Not entirely. He doesn't have a crystal ball, so it's not as if anyone has any right to be mad at the guy for not knowing what the future would hold.

What's that old saying, "It isn't what happens to us that makes us who we are, it's how we handle it that makes us what we are." - the same could apply to Vol Nation, too.

mtcarmeltnvol writes:

in response to CarthageVol:

I agree that the whole team cannot be made up of Tennesseans, but I do think that the majority of the team should be Tennesseans even if some of them are rated as 2 & 3 star players. More in-state kids need to be given a closer look. Of course you had a few examples of this Kiffen's team this year, but he had no other choice. If a player is raised as a Big Orange fan, he is also playing for his family and community. For me, this has always been the preference of College Football over the NFL. Heart and determination can overcome a slight athletic disadvantage.

elsinoresam writes:

If So. Cal had hired someone else and the Kiff Crew were still here all of these comments would be completely different. Hamilton is doing the best he can.

CarthageVol writes:

in response to mtcarmeltnvol:

I wish the whole team loved UT as much as we do. And grew up smiling and dying with the Big Orange from birth like most of us. But let's face it, all heart and 4.9 speed can't catch up to half-hearted 4.4. I agree and hope that we see more and more homegrown talent that knows what it's like to 'give your all for Tennessee'. And what it was like to go to Sam and Andy's before the game, and to know that 'we urge you to pay these prices and please pay no more!'. Hell, I can't sleep at night!! My original post was simply, 'Lay off Hamilton!'. Go Big Orange and Go CDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigfogg writes:

What makes any of the so called true VOL fans think that Coach Dooley would want to coach at Georgia? He did not go to school/play there. He went out on his own and paid to go to Virginia. He probally could of become a GA at Georgia but didn't. He like many of you know, will be compared to his father but why would he want to be compared to his dad at the same school. Makes no sense. Get off the bashing and get on board with support for the coaches, playes, recruits and everything about UT Football.

iadvol writes:

OT: Its amazing how immature and dense Kiffin was during his tenure at UT the past 13 months. I feel like a cheap W backing him in hindsight however i bleed orange and wear the orange glasses a lot. The Dooley hire is great regarding class and integrity. Hopefully it will translate in recruiting and on the field. I think it will.

Robbie360 writes:

I'm amazed and disappointed he didn't bring Linebacker coach Stan Eggen with him. That guy is one of the best recruiters not only in Texas and Louisiana, but Rivals has him as one of the top 20 in the Nation. At this juncture of the year he would help out tremendously with anyone on the bubble. I know he was pretty dedicated to Dooley. In fact he stayed after being offered other jobs at beginning of last year.

Ringside writes:

Coach Dooley is more of a volunteer than that twinkle toe p o s you had last year.
Give'm hell coach Dooley.