Ex-UT player Mike Edwards at Texas Southern

Former Tennessee defensive back Mike Edwards has enrolled at Texas Southern, according to his Twitter account on Wednesday.

Edwards, who was dismissed from UT on Nov. 16 after being charged with attempted armed robbery, said he will wear jersey No. 5. Since Texas Southern is not a Football Bowl Subdivision school, Edwards will be available to play in 2010 and has three years of eligibility remaining.

He pleaded guilty Jan. 14 to a reduced charge of reckless endangerment in a plea arrangement that allowed him to maintain a pristine record if he stays out of trouble for two years.

Edwards was one of two players dismissed for their role in a botched holdup Nov. 12 at the Pilot convenience store on Cumberland Avenue. Freshman receiver Nu'Keese Richardson also was dismissed and has enrolled at Hampton. Freshman defensive back Janzen Jackson was reinstated after the charge against him was dropped.

Edwards signed with UT in February 2009 from Glenville High School in Glenville Academic Campus in Cleveland, Ohio.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Munsterlander writes:

hope he makes the most of his 2nd chance

Cldvols1 writes:

Best of luck to ya Mike, make the most of your 2nd chance!

GreerVol22 writes:

slow clap

xxeman#277723 writes:

OK , I'll ask. What's the significance of #5 in a non Football Bowl Subdivision school?

And good luck to him.

volunteerfan27204#295834 writes:

Too bad he would have been a good kid under Dooley. Hopefully he is able to move on from this and learn from his mistakes! Dooley seems to be hitting it off well so far at UT according to my latest Poll!

I have also posted a great video of UT and our Traditions that are far better than the Traditions at USC. GBO!!!

roloyo writes:

AMF

Bkvols88 writes:

good luck..

volfaninutah writes:

hope they have bars on the windows downtown for those late night munchie runs.

favor1 writes:

Good Luck Mike and make sure you run with your 2nd chance. Hope to see you in the NFL.

nocleats writes:

Good luck Mike! Be careful who you run with. It aint turnin YOUR back on Your boys, its your boys turnin their back on you when they choose bad behavior knowing you cant and wont.

ThugTillIDie writes:

Another one Ken Sparks let slip through his fingers.

BigBadVol writes:

Qoute: "Relax..BE patient..Rebuild.. If we keep giving this USC crew the grief they MAY just keep attacking OUR recruits just for SPITE????"

Are you serious? Do you think anybody with even a tad of competitiveness is going to worry what the coaches at USC are doing? You have obviously never competed for anything. They need to worry that we will come after their recruits. That me be one of the, I will be polite here, most pacifistic statements I have ever read. To hell with USC, and their corrupt coaches. UT has a lot to offer over USC. One, we have coaches of integrity and character vs coaches that lie and cheat. I only want recruits that see through what they are selling.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Ellison_Vol:

You're sick, Naffy.

charles57#1378642 writes:

Dude will be in prison within 2 years. Count on it!

Fulton_Vol writes:

Bernard King was catch stealing TV equipment from classrooms on the UT campus, and Ray Mears played him. Now his jersey hangs in the rafters of TB in a place of honor. Every university and college that has a sports team has turned it's head one time or another concerning the mistakes of a star player. UT, UF, Bama, or any other SEC team is no exception. The only exception are probably the military schools like Air Force, Navy, Army, VMI, Citadel and few others.

At least Richardson and Edwards went before a judge and now they must to do certain things to remain free. Neither player cried they were innocent and cost the tax payers of this town thousands of dollars to convict them. They grew up between the day they acted extremely stupid and the day they went to court to be judged. They pleaded guilty and that is progress and I hope it continues. I wish both of these young men good luck as my thoughts and prayers go with them for success at their new schools, their studies and their futures.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Fulton_Vol:

Good Post!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You're sick, Naffy.

Glass houses...

Homermoosevols writes:

tenuscvol writes:

in response to xxeman#277723:

And good luck to him.

The sentence ends with the period after the "5". Re-read the two sentences and it makes more sense although why do we care what number he is going to wear?...

Go Vols!

sm1 writes:

in response to FLVOL69:

"A violent felon"? I would hardly call BB gun a lethal weapon. I am not trying to excuse the young lad's actions, but let's keep things in perspective. Even the "victims" said that they did not feel threatened by these "would be" robbers.

When I was a kid, we used to play "Army" and shoot at each other with BB guns. And not a single one of us ever shot anybody's eye out. :)

DooleysOrangePants writes:

maybe he should have went with the #2 for the years of probation he got

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to Homermoosevols:

Don't. Please don't. Flooding Cancer Kiffin with calls and email just puts us on the level of protoplasmic slime that he is. Surely we are of a superior species than that? We're all angry at how he treated the UT but we have to exhibit more class then he and his recruit cheating gorilla did.

anythinGOrange writes:

in response to KindredSpirit:

Kindred, I like this post. I like where you were going with it. What I don't like is the point you tried to make by saying the WOMEN of Knoxville and Tennessee are second-rate...?

The only place I've seen MORE HOT women than in Tennessee is in Hawaii and Europe. Unfortunately, Europe doesn't recruit well in the U.S. Heck, neither does Hawaii.

Volunatic writes:

Good luck to you, Mike. I hope you do well at TX-Southern.

Homermoosevols writes:

in response to Homermoosevols:

I mean seriously. Going to remove it from the site. Not like anyone with a computer and internet access couldn't access it.

TNLawVol writes:

Good luck Mike. Keep yourself out of trouble.

givehim6 writes:

Well OK, Keep your nose clean, hit the books and take full advantage of your scholarship paid education, trust me this is a plus still paying for my wife's school a year after her graduation and she has not found a job yet in this economy. Trust me free collage is a good thing.

537081 writes:

Good luck In life. Take this 2nd chance and run with it young man.

Madkels writes:

in response to charles57#1378642:

Dude will be in prison within 2 years. Count on it!

No way. He will pretty close to the Mexican border. Rob someone and run south!

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to charles57#1378642:

Dude will be in prison within 2 years. Count on it!

You must be the life of the party, MR. POSITIVE!! I wish him well, and if we had CDD instead of the EX- he most likely would be here today!! GBO!!

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to anythinGOrange:

I spent a 7 years in Europe and saw some beautiful women. On average, however, our Southern Belles have them beat. Besides, I'm not into hairy armpits and legs, not to mention the infrequent shower thing.

Another point: Europe is a big, diverse place. Scandanavian women, for example, are vastly different from Greeks or Italians.

I have been in Texas since 1985 and I can honestly say Texas women look good, generally speaking.

As for Hawaiian women, things start going downhill fast around age 30.

volpreacher writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

slow clap

slow mentality. He made a huge mistake, now he's trying to better himself and you act like this. Geesh. Get a life. Everyone deserves a second chance.

justincredible369#357762 writes:

Well Mike this is a chance you should run with cause for football it may be your last