Stone's high school coach reveals OL didn't like Kiffin, Orgeron

James Stone's residence was a popular place Wednesday night.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound offensive lineman from Maplewood High School in Nashville was scheduled to host Alabama's coaches and a contingent of coaches from Tennessee, including new coach Derek Dooley and offensive coordinator Jim Chaney.

Maplewood coach Ralph Thompson said he thinks UT has the lead over the Tide.

"What I think is separating the two schools is the head coaches," Thompson said. "I think that he is leaning towards UT just because of his like for Derek Dooley's staff. In James' eyes, Derek Dooley seems like he is more personable than coach (Nick) Saban. I think that is the difference."

As far as the schools and the football programs, Thompson said Stone seems fond of both.

"I think that he thinks that both schools are great places, as well as play good football," Thompson said.

UT's school and football program, however, weren't enough to overcome a strong dislike of former UT coach Lane Kiffin.

Thompson said he and Stone also didn't like former UT recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron, who along with Kiffin left UT for Southern California on Jan. 12.

Thompson said the only coaches he and Stone liked were Chaney and linebackers coach Lance Thompson, who were retained by UT.

"Pretty much everybody else on the staff, we thought were not personable and weren't in it for the kids," Thompson said. "If they would have stayed, James definitely would not have reconsidered Tennessee. And that's a fact."

Thompson said he even went so far as to tell Kiffin's staff that Stone wasn't interested in UT any longer, especially after he sensed that Kiffin's coaches were placing a higher priority on other offensive line prospects.

Stone's decision should be known on National Signing Day on Feb. 3.

UT has 19 commitments, eight of which are already enrolled. The Vols are expected to sign approximately 27 prospects.

Come Hither: UT commitment Eddrick Loften seems to believe there's a higher calling coming from Knoxville.

Loften, however, did confirm that he plans to take an official visit to Southern California at the behest of former UT receivers coach Willie Mack Garza.

"I know about the history and everything," Loften said of the Trojans. "Me and coach Garza are real cool and everything."

It's that relationship that has UT fretting. Loften said USC has not yet offered him a scholarship, but it has shown more interest since Garza's move.

"Willie will have a big part since he's been recruiting me," Loften stated via text message.

Loften said the timetable for his visit to USC hasn't been set, but he expects to depart Friday. Loften said that would be his last official visit.

USC has 14 commitments and room to offer Loften a scholarship.

Ambling Along: LSU is making a push for former UT commitment Markeith Ambles. The Tigers' coaches visited with the receiver from Henry County High in McDonough, Ga., this week and are hoping to secure an official visit this weekend.

Speculation surrounding Ambles is that he'll end up signing with USC. Ambles became friends with USC enrollee Kyle Prater during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio earlier this month.

However, Ambles also has strong ties to LSU. Former UT assistant Frank Wilson recruited the 6-3, 190-pound Ambles before leaving Knoxville for Baton Rouge.

Staff Shakeup: The Vols will try to benefit from recent staff changes, which are even more untimely than UT's. Georgia Tech and Ole Miss lost their recruiting coordinators this week.

Phil TV: Former UT coach Phillip Fulmer will be featured as an analyst by CBS College Sports on signing day.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dvhill100 writes:

I imagine both LK and Coach O are probably hard selling, high pressure recruiters. They certainly have been successful that way, but it will turn off some.

FWBVol writes:

You have to love the quote from the Maplewood coach Thompson, "Flat out, nobody liked Kiffin," Thompson said. "I didn't like Kiffin. James didn't like Kiffin."

Thompson said he and Stone also didn't like former UT recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron.

There will be a lot of good solid kids that are great football players that Derek Dooley will get because he has better people skills than the last guy.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

Stone never lies

ATL_VOL007 writes:

Come to Knoxville and join the rest of us who dont like them either young man!

odtn#267368 writes:

'Stone' and 'Rock'y Top would make a nice match. I know Bryce Brown would appreciate a good blocker.

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Cut & paste time...plus we have a Witch Doctor!

James,
Boobingham was built around huge iron ore deposits. All of the Iron City sludge drains into the Black Warrior River basin and goes downstream to Tuscaloser. As you can see in the attached link, drinking that very water causes moobs. Here in Tennessee, we want Dolly to have the largest set. So please go to UT!

FWBVol writes:

ESPNU is reporting Demar Dorsey, a 4-star DB from Ft. Lauderdale has pulled his commitment from Florida and is now considering Tennessee, FSU, Michigan and USC (there's a surprise).

cltvol writes:

I was for Kiffin, didn't like him. Same w/ O. Loved Monte. CLK's slickerations will catch up to him sooner or later. Dooley is careful with his mouth, trained on how to speak - lawyer. CLK is untrained, loose lipped, and then rationalizes everything later. No sense of humor, no empathy, personality of an ingrown toe nail.

I sure hope Dooley can do well. Reminds me a little of bill battle, not good, but he's my coach and I'm for him.

luvorange writes:

This is great news and I agree with FWB... probably see a different type of kid with this staff. I also am not that worried about Loften and sure can't blame the kid for wanting to take the trip. Come NSD, I think we are going to be fine.

volcop writes:

A high school senior was samarter than the whole lot of us

Bkvols88 writes:

when its all said and done I think we get stone but lose Eddrick Loften.....I dont know why he would trust Garza?

volunteerfan27204#295834 writes:

Come play for the Vols Stone! We have a coach who is very likeable and he obviously Knows talent when he sees it!

I also have a video with the Tennessee Traditions posted . Take a look and leave some comments!

TheDudeAbides writes:

Stone seems to have good judgement. Hope he comes to the school w/ the greater need and shorter depth chart...

dvols writes:

hey news media peeps, please find something to write out beside tn x-coach.

FWBVol writes:

in response to cltvol:

I was a freshman Battle's last year and Dooley might look a little like Bill Battle and both have a Southern accent when they speak, but I think that's where the similarities end.

Battle was 28 when he replaced Doug Dickey and was promoted from a receivers coach to the head coach. Dooley has a much stronger resume both in and out of football than Battle did as he takes over the job.

I think Dooley will do just fine.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to volcop:

A high school senior was samarter than the whole lot of us

I think we all knew, as well.

bobbytodd writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I don't really think he is considering UT. Probably just taking his old info from his list of schools. He never even visited us and is going to visit USC this weekend.

DownTheField writes:

KNS, WTF? Why in the world would you print this: "I'm still heavenly committed," the 5-10, 195-pound defensive back from Nimitz High in Irving, Texas, stated via text message."

Are you trying to embarrass him and guarantee that he won t come here? You fools. He probably meant "heavily." (If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but this is simply stupid.)

american_pitvol_terrier writes:

I submit that there are others out there that Captain Caveman and Boy Wonderless hard sold and that once they get a chance to talk to an actually literate and educated man like Dooley, they will surprise us on NSD. This recruiting season has worn me to the bone. GO VOLS!

appalachianvol writes:

The word is class! Dooly has it , and Kiffin doesn't know what it is. Kiffin has no integrty.
Stone reconized it right off. Smart Kid.

kman29 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Not a surprise at all. There is a good read on this in gainesville.com. From the sound of it all, UF coaches were tired of the drama of being some what commited one day to being fully commited the next to wanting to visit other schools the day after that. Dont think UF wanted another Richardson situation on signing day this year, especially when they have higher rated prospects they are still looking to add in 5* guys Henderson and Hicks. Ensures plenty of scholarships to offer. So I think both Dorsey and UF kind of equally agreed to part ways on this. Look for him to land at FSU.

runninbroke writes:

I would hate to lose loften but if we could land Stone, that would be huge!

Stepchild_nFL writes:

Huh. Maybe the previous staff was a liability. The Stone seems a bit smarter than the bunch of us. Huh. Boy I sure hope this young man becomes a part of The Dooley Family. GBO.

Stones never lie.

kman29 writes:

in response to appalachianvol:

Stone reconized it right off. Smart Kid.

Makes it kind of hard to dislike UT with a guy like Dooley as head coach. From everything I hear about him, he sounds like a stand up guy. But then again, you wouldnt expect anything less than a guy who respects his fellow SEC coaches and the game like Dooley does with how he was raised. Hopefully for UT's sake Dooley can prove that you can be highly successful without jumping up and down in a clown suit saying "look at me Im a moron who lives off daddy's NFL rep and uncle Orgeron, so come to UT."

Nuthinbutorange writes:

I think today's high school athletes have a much better sense of when they're being conned than those of us of "a certain age." It probably has to do with growing up in a much more media-savvy environment. JMO.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I think Dooley will do just fine.

And Battle ended up having the vision to ride the tidal wave of college football to great success. If Battle had had a couple years seasoning as Dooley has, he might still be coaching UT today.

CrankE writes:

"In James' eyes, Derek Dooley seems like he is more personable than coach (Nick) Saban."

I think even Al Gore edged Saban on personality in the latest polls.

Stone makes an interesting comment. Extrapolate this. If Dooley can do well at UT, coach his teams to compete hard, and win, then how many other kids might draw the same comparison (and make the same choice)?

stayingorange writes:

Hey James Stone, the best way to make a statement about UT's new direction and new staff is to come to The Hill and help lead this new, much improved program.

volpreacher writes:

I know when we lose a recruit some of you guys blast them and that's crazy, they are kids for God's sake. I don't like them to change either but there's a lot of pressure.
Now on the other hand, have you ever noticed that when someone backs out on Florida the trolls get on here and say, well, Florida was backing off of them because...... Just say you lost him. Have a little pride. Get mad at him like some of the other idiots do UT recruits, but please, stop the, we stopped recruiting him. That's just plain stupid.

volpreacher writes:

in response to SECFB:

And it was how long since you guys won until this year?????? Get a grip, UT football up until the last 3 years wiped Alabama up and down the field. Yes you did good this year, but don't count on a repeat. It won't happen. After all, UT did actually beat Alabama this year everywhere but where it counted and with a lot less players. It's coming and you know it.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to ghost_of_which_doctor:

Cut & paste time...plus we have a Witch Doctor!

James,

dude

next time warn us

that was gross

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to SECFB:

At least we can count on you guys being consistent: consistently on probation 11 of the last 17 yrs.

CarthageVol writes:

there's a TN kid!!!! I know Olive Branch is in MS, but its on the line pretty much and I think that there is another OL there that we are after. Is it Robinson? Talking of personality, Carroll did an interview this fall and was asked what he thought of Kiffin's progress at UT as a side bar. It was towards the end of the radio interview, and I'll never forget it. He bragged on Kiffin and how hard he worked and what a job he did recruiting, but he added and I quote "With Lane what you see is what you get, you know, no personality, just Lane". Please tell me that somebody else out there heard this same interview. Not making it up. Mama said I always had a great memory. But it puts some light on the view Mr. Stone might have had. Go Big Orange

cltvol writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I think Dooley will do just fine.

All good points. Very good. Battle turned out to be highly capable in the field he defaulted into (became a tin man). May have been a matter of seasoning and mentoring and he would have been a good fball coach. Dooley has been around good coaching, like Saban. A pr**k but a proven coach. I like us better with Dooley than Kiffen,,i'll say that.

RockinTop writes:

in response to DownTheField:

I agree, of course he meant heavily committed....KNS just isn't bright enough to figure that out....or even ask or confirm what he said/meant.....

Getting Stone would be killer!

Go Big Orange!

rockytopvol writes:

Just heard Florida pulled Dorsey's scholli.Must be something up.

CarthageVol writes:

in response to rockytopvol:

Just heard Florida pulled Dorsey's scholli.Must be something up.

Don't waste our time with this kid. Something just smells like Nukeese all over again. We'll get more DBs next year. Let's cut down on the bad apples.

VolunteerPassion writes:

This made me smile...

rockytopvol writes:

in response to CarthageVol:

I agree he's trouble, if UF dropped him he's got issues.

DarthWilson writes:

in response to SECFB:

I was wondering how long it would take u slugs to crawl from beneath ur rocks and start spewing your slime. Just can't take the fact UT is on the rise. Fear will make people say anything to make themselves feel better. You have yours now, but even your coach is telling you to watch the rearview mirror. An orange sunrise is coming on strong. Besides if we count all the Campbell Soup Championships like Bama we are not to far behind.

Come to TN young man and let's get this this train rolling. Blocking for Brown and Oku will be alot of fun. I see many TDs in their future.

taylorsvolfan writes:

I know that Kiffin had been in a school here in Greenville SC to look at a WR. People there thought he was a real jerk. Alabama coaches say the WR is faster than Julio Jones right now. Also Coach Fulmer will be speaking March 4 at our Coaches 4 Character meeting. Looking forward to hearing him.

OrangePsyched writes:

I've seen enough..DD can recruit..can't wait till I see his coaching methods. If Saban rubbed off on him any from a coaching standpoint we are in for a long sweet ride. We will win or lose with class. I believe Feb 3 will exceeds everyone's expectations given the debacle we went through and think the nation will take notice of what Coach Dooley and staff achieved in a short period of time. IT'S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL!

sm1 writes:

in response to CarthageVol:

I saw the same interview. Pete Carroll also said that Monte Kiffin was the greatest guy you'd ever want to meet, or words to that affect.

HallowedHill writes:

UT needs to visit any waivering Ole Miss or Ga Tech recruits that may be of interest.

GO VOLS!

Southland writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

I think we all knew, as well.

what about all the Fear the Kffin folks that blasted anyone that tried to warn others that we had a jerk that would bolt to the left coast as soon as he got a chance. I said it from day 1 and never saw a reason to believe any different. Kiffin was an arrogant idiot in everything he did and some UT fans backed everything he did and whined about the media being out to get him everytime he did something stupid which was just about everyday. All the mouthing off he did was an embarrassment to everyone but rappers and dopers and some UT fans that thought it was cool, well it wasnt. Glad some kids saw that he was a punk and even Al Davis figured out he was a liar and now we know what other figured out Very sad that so many posters on here couldn't see it and thought the world was out to get UT when the real problem was a 30 something year old punk couldnt keep his mouth shut and didnt have enough sense to show respect and didnt know the rules about recruiting. Fear the Kiffin my rearend

PlaidinOrangeandWhite writes:

Scout has a JC transfer, Mychal Rivera committed to TN. They have him rated as a 3 star recruit. He is 6-4/235/4.50. Looks like Dooley is building some depth.

AllVols writes:

Figures. Just Figures. I'm guessing that they have gotten even more cocky since they got to USC and their egos are getting the best of them. They may chase more recruits away in the future.

Good for the Vols.

go_vols_go writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Who on Rocky Top likes either one? Especially after the backstabbing and lies? Answer: No one! Effing punks!

tennezz writes:

in response to cltvol:

Bill Battle was an excellent coach, But a bad recruiter [He hated recruiting]! He won more games with less talent than any coach I have ever seen! I don`t remember Battle ever losing more than he won in any single year. Majors came in and lost more than he won his 1st year with Battles recruits! From what I`ve seen so far Dooley is going to be an excellent recruiter and may be a great coach!

orange123 writes:

espn says 5 star db demar dorsey dropped by florida and hes considering tn usc and fsu. but why would florida drop a 5 star #12 on top 150