UT commitment Copeland to visit LSU

Tennessee commit J.C. Copeland will take an official visit to LSU this weekend.

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound defensive end from Troup High School in LaGrange, Ga., decided to take the trip after receiving a visit from LSU coach Les Miles on Wednesday.

Copeland, who previously planned to visit South Carolina this weekend, said he's unsure if he has a scholarship offer from LSU.

Copeland said he would seriously consider the Tigers if he were to receive an offer.

"I would have to talk it over with my family," he said. "Either place I go is going to be great for me."

Copeland said he's heard plenty about LSU from his teammate Brandon Worle, a fullback who's been committed to the Tigers since March.

"He buzzes me every day," Copeland said. "He always says, 'You need to go there with me.' "

Copeland said he informed UT's staff that he would visit LSU this weekend.

He insisted he has no concerns about UT's lack of defensive coordinator or defensive line coach.

"(UT coach Derek Dooley) told me what he's going to do," Copeland said. "I'll stand by him 100 percent."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vol_in_GA writes:

At least it's not USC...

BigBadVol writes:

I believe J.C. will be all Vol! If not then I wish him the best.

odtn#267368 writes:

Just saw where Rajion Neal, #9 rated RB out of GA committed to Vols, decommitting from MS State. A few more linemen and LB's will round out a good class.

Shep818 writes:

Don't know where the hell KNS is on this tidbit but Rajion Neal (4 star RB, ranked the number 9 overall RB in nation and number 2 running back out of Georgia- according to Rivals) has commited to the Vols! Dooley strikes again. Great article on Volquest about it.

Cldvols1 writes:

Follow your heart JC...which should lead you to Neyland Stadium! LOL

BigBadVol writes:

in response to odtn#267368:

If this is true, then I say hell yea. This kid is going to be a stud.

Shep818 writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

If this is true, then I say hell yea. This kid is going to be a stud.

It's true

vols2#227315 writes:

Maybe JC will get Chavis to come back to UT and coach again.

BigBadVol writes:

I have to read the negative headline to find out we land this kid. Go figure.

Rijion Neal

BamaVol writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

I believe J.C. will be all Vol! If not then I wish him the best.

Rajion Neal is all Tennessee

Shep818 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

One of the dumbest posts I think I have read on this site... and that says a lot!

TennesseeGorilla writes:

(UT coach Derek Dooley) told me what he's going to do," Copeland said. "I'll stand by him 100 percent." Then why visit LSU?

1volfanatic writes:

Dooley is reeling them in. Keep em coming coach!! GBO!!!

ctownvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Then you might want to hide your eyes. UT may end up with a commitment from Rajaan Bennett as well.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Reel in a DC, also.

murrayvol writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Reel in a DC, also.

Wish you'd go ahead and spell out Defensive Coordinator. When I see DC, I have to fight the urge to smack my computer monitor. Thanks.

VolInSabanLand writes:

in response to TennesseeGorilla:

Exactly my reaction, Gorilla. He essentially said, "I'm fully with Dooley and might sign with LSU." Hey, meybe he does know what Dooley's gonna do... Dooley's leaving Rocky Top to replace Miles at LSU. Heard it here first folks.

CHITOWNVOL writes:

Is it me or are the kids not looking at future depth. I see that we lost Ralph Williams. I am surprised our class is not loaded with OLs, DTs, and LBs. Nance jumps on with Bray, Laimaison, Stephens, and Simms in the lineup. Happy, but confused. Same with the new RB. We need more OLs something fierce. I hope Stone comes on board.

murrayvol writes:

Mr. Copeland, this class is trending up. Be a part of it. You know this is the best place for you.

Oh, and have a nice visit to LSU....really.

ctownvol writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I hear ya SS!

ctownvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

You will be pleasantly surprised by this time next Wednesday. Just have a little patience...

volsoutwest writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Seems to me that it makes good sense to recruit at least a couple of top notch running backs with each class. It keeps you balanced in the long run. Looks like an excellent pick up to me.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

Maybe JC will get Chavis to come back to UT and coach again.

Then again, maybe he won't. Root for LSU if you miss Chavis. I'll be you miss Fulmer too. Once again, just find another team to root for and get off this site. The rest of us moved on a LONG time ago.

"It's 3rd and 35 with Maryville College backed up to their OWN 1 yard line with a true freshman coming in for the injured starter. Boy Tennessee is TOUGH on 1st and 2nd down. Let's see if they can get the defense of the field and set up the offense. He's back to pass. Tennessee is rushing 1 and the Safeties are back beyond the 50. The pass is up...it's waffling like a wounded duck...still hanging...back in 30...still hanging...COMPLETE!!! It's 1st and 10 for Maryville College. They now lead in time of possession and the Vol defense looks gassed!" TDVOL wake up...oh thank goodness that was just a flashback. Go Derek Dooley, pick your own guy.

NO RETREADS!!!

Philthy_Phil_of_Nashville writes:

So what, he's 6'2 240. Most SEC DE's are a little bigger. I don't see him winning many battles against OT's that are 6'5" 300 lbs... just saying.

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Have a nice trip J.C. Just make sure when you get back to tell Coach Dooley that you are still All-Vol! We are about to run out of scholarships

SIMSVOL writes:

Dooley is doing an amazing job. All you naysayers at the outset of the hire are eating crow ahead of schedule. The recruits are sold on him. In two weeks, he's righted the ship and brought on additional highly rated players. Stone will sign, Neal is now on board, and the Nance pick up at QB will surprise a lot of people sooner than later. Speaking of surprises, I'm certain Dooley has a few of those in the works for next week.
As for the discussion about too many RBs, are you crazy? Check out the Neal video.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

Will he like the cheif? I hope not! It seems CDD has something up his sleeve. He is on a roll!! GBO!!

tnsportsman writes:

Copeland will be a Vol. From the sound of what these recruits think of Dooley and the praise they give him for his honesty and straight foward approach Tennessee will be just fine. UT will win more recruits than they lose!

GO VOLS!

send writes:

need olineman! Anybody hear anthing about any def coaches?

516milesfromUT writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

I have to read the negative headline to find out we land this kid. Go figure.

Rijion Neal

#9 RUNNING BACK,OURS! our backfield is going to be a force soon enough.

BlackSilverVol writes:

Just a thought, and I may be mistaken, but isn't Williams a bigger back? A possible move to fullback?

Orangeatang writes:

in response to SIMSVOL:

Exactly. Neal is a stud. He's fast and powerful. Will be a good compliment to the scat backs we have in Brown and Oku. You can never have enough running backs. That's how you win in the SEC: Run, run, run, run, pass, run, run, defense, defense, defense, defense...well, you get the point...

CheckerboardDaddy writes:

If the kid likes LSU better then im happy for him however it does worry me that we don't have a DC yet.Hopefully we won't lose any committments because of it.It has to be tough to remain committed somewhere when other schools probably keep pointing out that UT doesn't even have one yet.

7_Game_Maxims writes:

#10 in the latest Rivals rankings. A top 10 class will be a win for us.

DERELICK_MY_VOLS writes:

in response to TennesseeGorilla:

Exactly...I am nervous about this kid flaking out on us.

dvols writes:

looking forward to good news next Wednesday

go vols!

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Congratulations Rajion. I watched Sandy Creek beat Griffin. That was quite a game! I was glad to see Sandy Creek win. Welcome to the Vols!!!

LiveFaith writes:

Reel him in Chief!

Ohhh phooey, he's not on our side anymore. :-(

CheckerboardDaddy writes:

Don't know if we can hang onto him cause he sure seems hung up on LSU even though apparently he hasn't even been there yet.On the surface seems like he is more concerned with who the coach is and not as much about the school!

volsoutwest writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

In all due respect, how did we lose Lennon Creer because of Bryce Brown and Toney Williams? The reason, in my opinion, is that he feared the competition, or didn't want to pay the price in practice. Of course, one could argue that he was the smart one and left the program at the right time. He didn't have to deal with Kiffen (for you Witchy) and his crew for a season.

CheckerboardDaddy writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Thought Tauren Poole outplayed them all during Spring Practice?

dgcarter43 writes:

in response to CheckerboardDaddy:

He has a close friend at LSU that has been begging him to come there with him.

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to Pablopeepants:

Great post. Most on here can't see the forrest for the trees.

We can never have too many talented athletes!

GO VOLS!!!!!

BornVolDieVol writes:

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a VOLUNTEER!" (quote from the movie Pearl Harbor). If you fit the bill... then welcome aboard... If not, then good luck where ever you end up. This is Tennessee and Tennessee is SPECIAL!

khelton657 writes:

Come where you are wanted and where they have plans for you, Mr Copeland. You aren't in their future plans at LSU if they haven't even offered.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

What I don't see in this class is a beefy nose guard Dlineman in the vein of Dan Williams; does anyone no if we have a line on one?? Stone is a must have..I get the feeling he may go for Bama because Sabans wearing a fat NC ring and we continue to be in the rebuilding mode..Hope Iam wrong!!