Mychal Rivera picks the Vols

A not so well kept secret is out.

"I'm a Tennessee Volunteer,” tight end Mychal Rivera told InsideTennessee.com.

The decision was hardly a surprise. Rivera had been the center of rampant recruiting speculation that predicted he would soon commit to UT, likely during a visit to his home from UT coach Eric Russell on Wednesday evening.

“The home visit with Coach Eric Russell went great; it’s the coaching staff at Tennessee that made my decision very easy,” the tight end from College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, Calif., said.

That coaching staff is headed up by newly hired head coach Derek Dooley, a strong presence in Rivera’s recruitment.

“Coach Dooley is going to do great things at Tennessee,” Rivera said. “He is a very honest guy that is easy to trust. You can tell he is very passionate about being in Knoxville and the SEC.”

“…He told me that I will have three coaches at Tennessee. Coach Eric Russell will coach me, the OC (offensive coordinator) Jim Chaney coached tight ends last year and Dooley said he will help also.”

Rivera took his official visit to UT last weekend and eventually chose the Vols over Kansas State.

“The facilities were insane,” Rivera said of UT. “They are the best I have seen anywhere.”

Rivera also reportedly fielded scholarship offers from South Carolina and Utah State.

Rivera is UT’s 19th commitment for the 2010 class. The Vols are expected to sign approximately 27 prospects. National Signing Day is Feb. 3.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

gnm53108 writes:

Cool.

Welcome aboard Mychal.

kyvol98 writes:

Welcome to the FAMILY!

ckelly33 writes:

Welcome aboard!

jobrando#216494 writes:

Fantastic. a real gem

Flyfisherman writes:

I'll take kids with character over all the other "characters" that wind up @ USC any day. These are the kids that want to play. The others are in it for themselves.

I remember a team of kids with character in 1985 putting it on the "characters" from Miami...God, I loved that game!

Welcome to UT Mychal! We're glad to have you.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Good speed and size.

Needs some biscuits and gravy...and Ausmus.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

BB always da man.

punkin writes:

in response to Flyfisherman:

Welcome to UT Mychal! We're glad to have you.

I attended that game in N.O. One of the greatest Vol memories I have.

golfballs03 writes:

So we won't have a tight ends coach, but a platoon of coaches? I thought Russell is the special teams coach?

utfpmd writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Thanks.
I would also like to know the number of years of eligibility he has left (I'm guessing 3 b/c he redshirted at Oregon and played a year of Juco ball).

kabulvol writes:

What's his stats and rankings?

Cldvols1 writes:

This class is shapin up nicely. Go Vols!!!

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to slaw_way:

You rang?

send writes:

good job feed him and make him a off lineman! has anyone heard we trying to get sal from AL. for def.cord. or is this a rumor to?

Brillovol writes:

in response to 92Vol:

Just a thought, but the JC players will help to add some more talent to the low-rated '08 class.

All in all, I'll take 'em. BTW, 19 commits? Who did we lose in the last couple of days?

finn writes:

Good pick-up. With that size, he should be able to help sure up our O-line and help the big guys out on the blocking front by picking up outside blitzs. I guess this recruting year isn't D.O.A. afterall.

send writes:

Has anyone heard that we are tryin to get sal from AL. for def.cord. or is this a rumor to? Anyone know anything about Chuck or a def cord?

Brillovol writes:

BTW, this looks interesting. From this link, looks like Nance will be coming here. That's a lot of QB's!

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to Brillovol:

Not 100% sure on this, but looks like they dropped Ralph Williams off our list. He visited Ole Miss last weekend and now appears to be saying that it is between the Rebels and the Vols.

volsfan74 writes:

in response to golfballs03:

I assume this kid will probably play special teams he has the speed and if he has good hands he could play some up back.

send writes:

in response to Brillovol:

I hope DaRick Rogers is coming with him then all we need is some off. lineman GOOD JOB DD!!

roloyo writes:

in response to punkin:

I attended that game in N.O. One of the greatest Vol memories I have.

ditto.......and I'm just now startin' to sober up.

GBO

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to utfpmd:

Thanks.

I read somewhere that he had 2 years left. Nonetheless, welcome to the hill. Proud to see kids that can see the integrity in what CDD is selling.

This should be 20 commits, I guess we did lose Ralph Williams after all. I had read that he silently has commited to Ole Miss.

GO VOLS!!!!!

appalachianvol writes:

in response to Flyfisherman:

Welcome to UT Mychal! We're glad to have you.

I lived in Fla at the time and still live in Fla. Had to listen to the stuff! Back up QB Dicky took over and laid it to Miami! Great game.
Welcome Mychal! to the greatest place to play before the greatest fans in the greatest conference. SWelcome big guy.
GBO

tlallman writes:

in response to gnm53108:

Good speed and size.

Needs some biscuits and gravy...and Ausmus.

I read where Kiffin has made an offer to Ausmus.

Brillovol writes:

in response to send:

Something about that makes me wonder if it's a package deal. I like our chances with Rogers now.

Brillovol writes:

in response to tlallman:

I read where Kiffin has made an offer to Ausmus.

Heard Brent Hubbs saying this morning on the radio that Ausmus is staying. Too close to family at UT to leave.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to Brillovol:

Yea its looking like a package deal. We will be set at QB. Also I attached rivals article showing top remaining prospects and where they are leaning. I noticed one RB we might steal:

send writes:

in response to Brillovol:

surprise it took kiffin this long to offer to him he must not be able find anyone that hasnt all ready been on board for his staff!!! HIS day will come all of them it aleays comes back LOL!!!

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

I'm glad this secret is finally out. Thanks to Hook for saying what no one else would. Chaney is not a naked chest-bumping kind of guy. Players that want rub their naked selves against their coach are flocking to USC ot FL, not UT. But there are still guys out there who want to play football for a coach who isn't into group stripping and rubbing with players. Our secret is out. At Tennessee, we play football, not footsie.

johnvol writes:

in response to Flyfisherman:

Welcome to UT Mychal! We're glad to have you.

I was there, too. It was my sophomore year of college. Absolutely will always be one of my top two or three Vol memories. I still love to watch the replay of that game. Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles did not give us any chance to win. They kept thinking Miami would come back. The Big Orange made them eat some crow that night!

Also remember sitting in the south end zone during the Vanderbilt game in Neyland that year (it was the final game on the schedule at that time). In the fourth quarter when we knew we were going to win and would be returning to the Sugar Bowl for the first time in some time, the fans were cheering "Sugar" on one side of the stadium and "Bowl" on the other side. It went on forever.

Good times... Thanks for bringing back those memories this morning!

bigorange61 writes:

in response to utfpmd:

Thanks.

He would have 3 years to play 2 years. Basically he could redshirt a year if need be.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Brillovol:

Let's hope it's a package deal with his buddy DaRick Rodgers in tow

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to VOLsince68:

GO VOLS!!!!!

Arrrgh, we need to get Ralph back. He is a player; very explosive off the edge! Plus we need 3-4 linebackers in this class.

Ole Miss can kiss this

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Alright!!! Nice Work, Dooley!!!

Just keep this TE under lock and key so "you know who" can't get to him! LOL!! Because he is so interested in our recruits.

CincyOhVol writes:

WOW! What a catch!

We beat out Kansas State 6-6 no bowl, South Carolina 7-6 Palmetto Bowl, and powerhouse Utah State 4-8.

With this kind of recruiting prowess we are going to be absolutely beatable.

texasvol73 writes:

Article said this was the 19th commitment. I thought we had 19 before this guy. Who did we lose in the last couple of days?

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to Brillovol:

Just what we need a 2-Star quarterback with offers from the likes of East Carolina and Central Florida.

This is getting to be ridiculous.

RoyaltyVol writes:

I know we have to wait to signing day to see, but its looking like to me Dooley is a great recruiter, better than Kiffin IMO because he being honest and the kids aren't stupid, most of them can tell when they are being fed a bunch of bull.

jcp201 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Let's hope it's a package deal with his buddy DaRick Rodgers in tow

Nash is definitely smart with offers from Harvard and Vanderbilt.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to CincyOhVol:

WOW! What a catch!

With this kind of recruiting prowess we are going to be absolutely beatable.

The median IQ for posters to this site just dropped 20 points after your comments.

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Are you kidding me? These kids are studs in the WAC and duds in the SEC.

He's recruiting on a La. Tech. level and not on a national powerhouse level.

TLepage writes:

in response to long_vol:

I agree.... He did great things at purdue.... I just hope we will be able to hang on to him.... I wonder what the chances are of him staying for just one more year and bolting back to the nfl? Any thoughts?

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to CincyOhVol:

This is getting to be ridiculous.

You aren't looking at the big picture. We will only sign this guy if we get his teammate Da'Rick Rogers, a 5 star (or 4 star-not sure) WR. It will be a package deal and we get another QB who certainly can't be worse than what we've had the last 2 years.

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

These are the facts. They speak for themselves.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to CincyOhVol:

Are you kidding me? These kids are studs in the WAC and duds in the SEC.

He's recruiting on a La. Tech. level and not on a national powerhouse level.

You need to do a little more research my friend, your not well informed!

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Do we know which recruits are going to be on campus this weekend? Getting the last visit can oftentimes swing the ones on the fence.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to CincyOhVol:

These are the facts. They speak for themselves.

Rivals rating system has 11 of the current 19 commitments rated at 4 stars. THOSE facts speak for themselves, not the rants of the uninformed.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Once again 11 of the 19 are 4-star recruits.

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Rogers has already committed to Georgia. He's not coming to Tennessee.