Hopson writes new headline

Steal seals title for News Sentinel in Rocky Top League

Scotty Hopson on winning the Pilot Rocky Top League

The situation was eerily similar for Tennessee rising junior Scotty Hopson in Thursday night's Pilot Rocky Top League championship game.

This time, Hopson made sure there was a happy ending, scoring a team-high 40 points and making a key defensive stop to lead the News Sentinel to a 127-122 win over DeRoyal Industries (4-3).

Hopson went to the free-throw line with 24.7 seconds left and the News Sentinel (6-1) up 124-122.

"It's a one-and-one free throw situation,'' public address announcer Brian "BT" Tate announced to the packed Bearden High School gym. "It's pretty familiar.''

Against Michigan State in the NCAA tournament Elite Eight, Hopson hit a free throw to tie the game at 69-69 with 11 seconds left but missed the second. UT failed to get back on defense, and the Spartans got the ball inside, leading to a game-winning trip to the free-throw line.

Hopson, who said he has been shooting between 500 and 700 free throws daily, made the first free throw Thursday night, but again, he missed the second.

That's where the script changed.

UT point guard Melvin Goins, who because of a final exam arrived halfway through the first half, drove to the basket for DeRoyal before kicking the ball out to incoming UT freshman Jordan McRae.

Hopson intercepted the pass and headed downcourt. Again, he was fouled, but this time Hopson hit both ends of the one-and-one free throw situation with 3.9 seconds left to secure the game.

"You know I thought about the Michigan State game, but this time I was going to make sure I got back and got a defensive stop after missing the free throw,'' Hopson said. "This was another game out here that's preparing me for big SEC games.''

Former UT star Dane Bradshaw said it was good to see Hopson rise to the occasion.

"The thing that was impressive is Scotty struggled to stop Jordan (McRae, 42 points) all night, but in the end he helped on Melvin's drive and then he recovered to get out and make that steal,'' Bradshaw said. "It was textbook.''

It was a special win for News Sentinel small forward Michael Blue, too.

The former Bearden star with the 50-inch vertical leap scored 20 points, including three key baskets in the paint down the stretch.

"I wasn't able to play in the championship game last year because I was attending the funeral of my stepfather (Michael Yancey),'' said Blue, a 2004 Bearden graduate in the process of setting up workouts with NBA D-League teams. "I thought about him all day, and I'm dedicating this win to him.''

Bradshaw said Blue's play was pivotal.

"It's not fair that great athletes like Michael don't get the same amount of attention as some of us UT guys,'' Bradshaw said. "That's another great thing about this league; it gives the guys who aren't on ESPN a chance to prove they can play with these guys.''

J.P. Primm had 30 points for the News Sentinel and Bradshaw scored 17.

Lincoln Memorial University's Darryl Garret had 27 points, former Lee College All-American Brad Harris had 19, as did UT center Brian Williams.

"I think everyone on our team wanted it pretty bad; most of our core guys from last year were back on the team,'' said News Sentinel coach Zane Duncan, referring to Hopson, Bradshaw and Blue. "Dane took charge on the floor, Scotty made some big shots in the clutch and Michael Blue was huge tonight.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Jmxvo1 writes:

just Scotty doin' work

hdhurst writes:

Story quote...""The thing that was impressive is Scotty struggled to stop Jordan (McRae, 42 points) all night, but..."

ok, how should I 'really' read this...does this mean that Jordan is offensively more prepared than we thought, or was it simply another classic storeline of the PRTL...no defense.

Yes, I recognize that he did get the steal, so d-fense was at least monumental in the end.

Good luck Scotty!!!

vol_till_i_die writes:

I was very, very impressed by Scotty AND Jordan tonight! Go Vols!

tmartin writes:

do it in march and we'll talk

voloffaith writes:

in response to bigorangekoolaid:

My aren't we a happy camper this a.m. I know someone is going to ask you this so I'll go ahead for them. What game winning free throws did you hit in the NCAA to help your team? Just asking...What NCAA game have you played in if any? Just asking. Nobody is going to argue that he missed(I won't use choked) the free throw. Guess what no one hits 100%. Saw Kobe miss or should I say choke? Yes the pro's even miss with game on line. Again how many game winners have you made in the same situation? Just asking.

Oh one final thing who is your source since you GUARANTEE he is not shooting 500-700/day. You may be right just name your source to back your MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Why do you even reply to some dummy that claims to know all? He is just full of himself.

Ironcity writes:

in response to bigorangekoolaid:

Your rants have become tiring, predictable and boring. BOK you use to bring something to the table but now your just a beaten troll who has to try to find something out of nothing.

VolunteerLifer writes:

"Dane took charge on the floor, ..." said the coach of Hopson's team. Scotty Hopson is a terrific player but is not a take-charge guy, not a natural leader. Nothing wrong with that. Thtat's just who he is. I don't think he will be THE team leader this year, but I think he will be a huge contributor, and that'll be good enough for me, because I see others on the team who might fill the role of Dane Bradshaw or Wayne Chism. It doesn't matter who it is, just so someone does it. Let's all stop expecting Scotty to do something he's not wired to do, and look to Harris, Goins, or Williams lead this team.

In Scotty's defense, he did NOT choke in the Mich St game. He made the most important free throw, the one to tie. That one we HAD to have, and he made it. He also had the guts to take that last shot, and he was hacked on the wrist. If not, he might have made the shot and there would have been a different ending. Those who question his guts are wrong to do so. He's got talent and guts and is a hard worker, but he is not a natural leader.

Pompey writes:

Bruce Pearl has, in a short time, produced the best basketball ever played at UT....and some people can't stand the thought of it.....

gillblog writes:

in response to bigorangekoolaid:

Let's just say, on average, it takes 1 minute (60 seconds) to shoot a practice FT and get the ball back to set up for the next shot. Now if he is shooting 700/day that means he's spending 42,000 seconds a day or 700 minutes or approximately 11 and half hours a day shooting free throws.
Ok, I agree, he is not shooting 700/day but he MIGHT be shooting 500/day .... well, that still would be a little over 8 hours a day..hmmmmmm....

sandiegovolunteer writes:

in response to gillblog:

With an asst rebounder- you would shoot well over 1 a minute- more like 5 or 6 a minute- even in games you only have 10 secs to get the shot off.

gillblog writes:

in response to bigorangekoolaid:

Mind you, I don't say it is IMPOSSIBLE for him to be spending that much time out of his day shooting FT's. And, in his mind it may feel like he is shooting that many, but the numbers (even if you cut the time from shot to shot in half) are unrealistic for a young man who has a lot to do on the court and in his college life.
Maybe the "500-700" statement is his kind of metaphor for "I'm spending a lot of time shooting FT's these days".
Let's all hope it translates to a better performance level when those FT's count.

hueypilot writes:

in response to gillblog:

If you can't shoot one every 15 seconds or so, then you probably shouldn't be out there at all. So can we cut your math by a divisor of 4? If we can do that we're now talking about a few sessions each day of one hour. I think that's realistic. What else has he got to do? Go to the office? Nope. Just shoot hoops.

gillblog writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Fifteen seconds/shot for 500 shots is slightly more than 2 hours and for 700 shots is three hours. Yes, that's reasonable, but do you really think he is working that fast for 2-3 hours non-stop? My estimation was for an average of 1 minute between shots. But, if he is working at such a pace then my questioning was wrong and he is telling us something reasonable.

GreeneVol_TN writes:

Not sure why everybody is getting all bent out of shape on the free throw count. The biggest thing is that he realizes a weakness and he is putting in time to strengthen it. Just for the record, my high school basketball coach used make the guys shoot 200 at the end of each practice and it didn't take over an hour. Yes, they all had someone rebounding for them.

gillblog writes:

in response to GreeneVol_TN:

Good post.

utdanman writes:

Haven't you guys seen the ball returner that they use for practice? 500-700 free throws is very doable with this thing. Plus, it has a counter on it so they know exactly how many shots they have taken. Pat Summitt will even show you ways it can be used. Check out the video on the link.

click on the pat summitt video

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Hopson needs those kinds of numbers in the fall/winter and he will make headlines.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to gillblog:

It has never anywhere been said that he shoots them consecutively..he said he shoots 500-700 a day...there are 24 hrs in a day. And he should be working that fast because you have to do your routine and get the shot off in less than 10 seconds in game situations and he should be practicing the free throws for game situations...

peyton4prez writes:

WOW! This can only mean one thing, we are going to win a national title next year. OH wait i just realized the rocky top league is a joke and means absolutley nothing. Only an idiot would consider this to be news.