State's top 10 prospects: No. 5 Derek King, Brentwood Academy

Derek King is determined to pick a school, not just a football program.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound athlete from Brentwood Academy has some academic heavyweights on his list of schools that have offered him a scholarship, such as Duke, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.

Then, there are the schools that prove his football merit, such as Tennessee, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Virginia, Kansas and Louisville, which are joined by Memphis, Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State.

King, who wants to major in sports medicine, has 13 scholarship offers in all, an amount surely bolstered by his 3.5 grade-point average.

Thank King’s parents for that. They value GPA as much as yards per carry.

“They have always wanted me to do well so they constantly tell me I need to have my schoolwork done, then I’m able to play football,” said King, who was selected as the fifth-best prospect in the state by the News Sentinel. “I’ve always kept that in mind. That’s what pushed me to do so well in my schoolwork.”

King admitted that SEC schools have a slight lead in the race for his services and that he would prefer to play in what he considers the best football conference in the nation.

That puts UT, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt atop the list.

King, who visited Knoxville last weekend, said the coaches have stood out most as he evaluates UT.

“I met (UT) coach (Derek) Dooley,” King said. “He’s a real cool guy. He told me that he was going to turn the program around. … It would be pretty cool to play at a school like Tennessee.”

But it would also be pretty cool to play close to home.

“Vanderbilt is 20 minutes away,” King said. “When a school is right by your home, you always have to keep that in consideration. And they have probably the best school in the SEC — if not the country — academics wise.”

King has also been drawn to Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson, who has made recruiting King a priority.

“Coach Johnson, he’s a really cool guy,” King said. “He seems like he really cares about his players.”

Still, there are even deeper ties to another school. King’s parents attended Ole Miss and the Kings still have family in the state.

“If I was to go to Ole Miss, knowing my grandparents don’t live too far away, that would be a consideration,” King said.

King also sees Ole Miss as a program on the rise thanks to two consecutive Cotton Bowl appearances, which makes one wonder if the Rebels are the quiet leader.

Most schools are recruiting King as a defensive back, but tailback hasn’t been ruled out. UT is recruiting King as a defensive back and kick returner.

King said he doesn’t have a position preference just yet, but likely will before he commits this fall.

King describes himself as an explosive runner that can also excel as a receiver.

He carried 58 times last season for 700 yards and eight touchdowns. He also had eight kick returns for 230 yards, along with 45 tackles and an interception.

That season has helped launch him into one of the most sought after prospects in Tennessee.

“It’s been a wonderful process to go through,” King said. “It’s good to have the opportunity that I have. As a kid you dream about playing college football.

“For it be here, is just a blessing for it happen.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MaxPower writes:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Tennessee has a sports medicine major.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Good luck, young man, wherever you choose.

mrvol2u writes:

in response to shen24:

A) Has not chosen a school yet.
B) A fact is not an excuse. Grandparents close may help Ole Miss's chances.
C) One of the most sought after recruits in state of Tennessee and is an athletic player therefore we are recruiting him.
D) All the schools you listed have players in the NFL or recently had players play in the NFL. Point, they obviously know a good player when they see one.
E) If you wish to make negative statements on the opposing teams boards, please at least make them funny or somewhat intelligent.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to MaxPower:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Tennessee has a sports medicine major.

You may be right, closest thing is:

Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport Studies

Kinesiology
Recreation and Sport Management – Sport Management concentration
Recreation and Sport Management – Therapeutic Recreation concentration

mrvol2u writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

Go to UT and have both. You can get an excellent pre-health degree from UT.

keepitreal4vols writes:

His stats seem a little light...did he play the entire year? 58 carries is not a feature back, 45 tackles is only 4-6 a game so not "all over the field" and 8 kick returns is 1 a game?
Just wondering out loud. I'm sure he is a fine athlete but just seems his stats are missing the premier status. Now the 12 YPC is awesome.

hueypilot writes:

Used to live in B'wood. Brentwood Academy is little preppy school with great sports programs, because of very good coaching and longtime practice of recruiting good players and putting them on scholarship. Left Tn before they put all the private schools in their own conference so not sure how that has refined/deleted talent or competition. Snob mentality at BA and Ole Miss are the same, though not sure how the racial lines cross, mix or even touch.
Years ago Kent Austin was prized QB recruit out of BA and went to Ole Miss to rekindle the Charlie Conerly, Jake Gibbs, Archie Manning pedigree run. He wasn't mentioned in the same sentences as his predecessors,, but I think Austin is now the OC at Ole Miss, so that connection, albeit over 20 years old, is there.

Question: If he is such a great DB prospect why is Saban not onto him? Saban is supposed to be the best identifier/developer of DB's. If he's not interested, not sure I'm interested.

boro_vol writes:

Aside from the medical school, Vandy's academics are overrated.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to AF1A4:

I had to read this twice to get it all, but I believe you are right.

oskie_score writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Hey Huey, that's fairly spot-on. BA has been filtering f'baller's to the Rebs since the Carlton Flatt era began in the early-mid 70's.

FYI, the new alignment (for Private and/or Parochial Schools) is categorized Division II A & Div II AA. Upstart Ensworth Division II AA (Ricky Bowers-Ex-MBA star and HC-at the helm) is now the belle of the dance as BA, BGA, MBA, (Father) Ryan, et al chase her skirt. Speaking of dominance...remember when BGA was "King of the Hill"? I hear that they, slowly but surely, are becoming a respectable f'ball power once again.

BTW, I haven't scene/read Invisible Kid on these threads for a while, wonder how's he doin' and what's he up to these days.

FatherVol writes:

in response to MaxPower:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Tennessee has a sports medicine major.

I don't think "Sports Medicine" is an undergraduate major. It probably requires medical school after a pre-med major of some sort. Just a hunch.

hueypilot writes:

in response to oskie_score:

Haven't seen IK on here in forever.
Carlton Flatt went far and wide and recruited players, but he also won with 160 pound overachievers that played hard, fast and smart.

Re BGA I remember a showdown between them and a Steve Sloan-led Bradley Co. circa 1962 maybe, that resulted in Bradley Co. win and mythical (no playoffs then) state championship. Bradley Co. also won both boys and girls basketball state championships that year in an all comers field before they broke the schools up into classes by size. Sloan was MVP of the state tourney and MVP in football. Hell of an athelete.

oskie_score writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Haven't seen IK on here in forever.

Careful Huey, you're dating yourself my friend. :-)

Great recall, although Sloan's HS days were before my time, agreed, he was one heck of an athlete and, if memory serves me correctly, a pretty decent coach too. :-)

No IK in 4ever, really?? Huh! Hope he and family are alright.

Nice reminiscing w/ you.

Thanks to you and ALL Active Service men & women and Vet's for your sacrifice and service to our GREAT country! Happy Independence Day!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to orangeluvr:

The BA and Ole Miss crowds are, from my experiences, elitists. Birds of a feather.....

hueypilot writes:

in response to oskie_score:

Careful Huey, you're dating yourself my friend. :-)

No IK in 4ever, really?? Huh! Hope he and family are alright.

Nice reminiscing w/ you.

Thanks for your kind words oskie (great name BTW)One more little known fact about Sloan. He was named Vandy head coach just before the coaches meetings. Sloan was a scratch golfer and participated in amateur tournaments in Nashville during his brief stay at Vandy. Anyway the coaches would have a little golf tournament at their annual meeting. Sloan shot a couple of rounds near par and won easily, beating Frank Broyles, (Augusta member and pretty fair golfer)_ by over ten shots. Sloan never again participated in the tournament, since it wasn't really fair for anyone else in the field. Sloan was clearly one of the best all-around athletes to come out of Tennessee. Not exactly in a class with Bo Jackson or Ron Widby, but close.

oskie_score writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Terrific story huey! Brought a smile to my face and a little chuckle when I read the last sentence.