Worley says he made Dooley's day

QB picks Vols over Notre Dame, LSU

Competition wasn't Justin Worley's concern.

Worley didn't even blink when he committed to Tennessee on Friday, despite freshman quarterbacks Tyler Bray and Nash Nance already on the roster.

"Not too much," the 6-foot-4, 197-pounder from Northwestern High School in Rock Hill, S.C., said when asked if a crowded depth chart affected his decision. "I know anywhere I go there's going to be competition. I didn't really think about it."

In 2009, he threw for 4,366 yards and 42 touchdowns. As a sophomore, he had 3,641 yards and 50 TDs.

Worley cited a strong connection with UT's coaches and the city of Knoxville as primary reasons why he picked the Vols.

"The town has got everything you want," said Worley, who also considered LSU and Notre Dame. "I really enjoyed visiting here and really want to spend four years there."

The only person more excited than Worley might have been first-year UT coach Derek Dooley.

"He was really excited," Worley said. "He was talking about how happy he was and that I made his day."

Dooley's character-first-approach to recruiting suddenly has six commitments for the 2011 signing class.

"I'd tell them he's a great coach," Worley said when asked about what he'd tell other prospects about Dooley. "He's not only going to develop you as a football player but as an overall individual.

"I think him being at Tennessee is really going to help Tennessee as a football program and show what a great coach he is."

Worley said he is willing to recruit other prospects - a practice common among early quarterback commitments.

"I'm sure the coaches will ask me to talk to some guys. I'm willing to do that," Worley said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

1volfanatic writes:

And you made my day also. Welcome aboard young Vol!!

justdooleyit writes:

Made my day also.

vol49 writes:

seems like the kid has character as well as talent. go vols!

give_him_6 writes:

Welcome young man...glad to see you picked the Big Orange!!!

TheOpinion writes:

To all the people who are worried about all of our commits being 3*....don't stress it too much. Its still early and rivals probably hasn't seen most of the kids. Usually a kid getting a scholly from a big time school boosts him up to a 4* because Rivals and others start to focus. Its somewhat of a spotlight saying "hey you haven't seen this kid that much but check him out and make him a 4*" It happened plenty last year. Its too early for *s to actually matter.

JCJ1986 writes:

in response to TheOpinion:

I really don't see why people are so obsessed with the stars. Obviously we should go after those elite players, but those star ratings aren't the only thing we should we focus on. We should focus more on who has offered the guy. If Worley's good enough to get Florida, LSU, Notre Dame, and Stanford offers, then he's good enough to play here.

sambad writes:

I hope he has daily conversations with Mr. Clowney. Wouldn't that be great. They could ride back and forth from Rock Hill together.

KiwiLuvsUT writes:

Off topic: Six, make this seven coments without trolls. Wow.
On: I think I speak for most fans. Welcome to Big Orange Country!
GBO

jesusvol4 writes:

Welcome to TENNESSEE FOOTBALL! Hope everything works out for the best. I'm sure the other prospects will appreciate your guidance on helping them find where there heart is. Good luck.

NeylandWest writes:

Heading to east TN for the weekend...and omg did my weekend just get better!!!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Impressed with this. Not much impresses me, this does.

OrangePride writes:

This is such a great signing! This kid has all the tools, the right attitude, and a fabulous upside. The longer Dooley is here, the better I am feeling about our long term future. It may take a season or two, but I see our VOLS right back on top and with a coach we can all be proud of at the head. GO VOLS AND GREAT JOB COACH DOOLEY!

nocleats writes:

in response to JCJ1986:

Most who are obsessed with star ratings are the ones who pay good money for someone to tell them how good THEY THINK someone is.

RoadTrip writes:

The fact that he is rated a 3* and still got big time offers shows how flawed the ratings are. He is intelligent, good speed for a passing QB, good size, great touch on the long ball, threw for 8000 yards and 92 TDs in two years, etc. etc. If he was out on the west coast or in some Midwest metro market they would be falling all over themselves singing his praises. Instead he is a smaller market Carolina boy. Which is why he is all Vol. As I said earlier - opportunity and culture. The fit is great and I could not be happier with how all of this is going.

I am hoping that CDD and staff are setting the stage for cherry picking among the best in TN and all states that border us. That is where the Big Orange influence is the greatest. Then go fill needs everywhere else.

kjennin3 writes:

the biggest knocks on Worley are his arm strength and the fact he hardly takes a snap under center.... but dude has crazy good accuracy (Chaney's most important asset in a QB)... the good thing about this kid is he will have plenty of time to develope the skills needed to be a SEC qb, as he wont be a starter until probably 2013... great pick up, and hopefully Pat Martin joins his SC brethren this weekend

VolsINFan writes:

I believe that the best part of this is that he is from South Carolina and we got to stick it to Spurrier for a recruit in his backyard. I hope Worley helps stick it to SC and the rest of the SEC for 4 years!

Go Vols!

Volomatic writes:

This is his highlights from his Soph year

beartn#223846 writes:

I never get too excited about recruiting rankings, since there is no way that these services can watch every kid play. As several posters have previously said, I look more at the other schools that gave offers.

Also, stars don't always work out. I remember how most of us fans were bummed when top rated 5 star WR Brown from Memphis picked Georgia over us. According to the preseason magazines, he still hasn't cracked the 2 deep roster for the Dawgs. You can't really tell how the players will perform until you see them in practice against good competition.

tlvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Witchy, your wife needs a little lovin too.

lincolncovol writes:

9000 yrds,92 tds & another yr to add to that,couldn't give a rat's azz if he is a 1*.Welcome to rocky top young man, hope your senior year is a great year.If you can bring a big ugly or two with you would be nice!!!

Slystone writes:

Worley World, Worley World, Worley World!!!!

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Most posters on this board hope for WDs sake that Witchey's wife hasn't learned finer points of message boards and other social networking sites. If wifey gets wise to ID of WD, then only hug coming to WD will be the unrestrained two handed one to Doctor's neck and bones won't lie, they'll be limp.

volsoutwest writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Oh come on Doc, hug your wife. Remember those red panties can get you in big trouble.

allvol9 writes:

Welcome to Big Orange Country young man....and awesome pick up Coach Dooley!

OwensboroVol writes:

I've not heard much about this kid. Does anyone have any information as to his standing? His stats look good, but what kind of competition was it against? Thanks

de3cls writes:

in response to OrangePride:

It's not a signing. It's a verbal commitment. Long time til NSD. I hope he sticks with the commitment. GBO!

DaddyVol writes:

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to all my BIG ORANGE brothers and sisters.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I agree that offers show more about how valuable the player really is. I dont think this recruit is a concern, but there are a few others that didnt have big time schools offering that people are concerned about. As I've said before, there is a long time till signing day and I think as long as Dooleys team performs well, the big time recruits will come. Dooley has shown he can pull in the big ones so I'm not as worried as I was when most schools were getting commits earlier in the year and UT didnt have any. He seems to be methodically following his plan. I hope it pans out. Only time will tell.

87UTVOL writes:

We're starting to see that the character-first, face to face talk methods of CDD are paying off with some great talent. Lots of kids are impressed by that straightforward, honest approach. Just look at their comments after they commit. CDD has also apparently learned how to sell Tennessee and Knoxville. GBO!

tsaecesnitsebhtruof writes:

A verbal from a 3 star QB ranked 22nd nationally at his position. There was a time when this would be no big deal at UT. Boy have times changed! Pathetic.

BIGORANGEDOG writes:

The NFL is full of these so-called 3* athletes that are still playing the game and still earning a very nice living. Never lose sight of a mans heart and his want. I'd bet it everyday! This is what you hire a coach to do; Discover, Develope and Define. Discover the hidden talent. Develope that talent and last, Define History with that talent. Organizations take a little time to develope. It would appear to me that this one has not only stopped the fall, but has stated the climb back to the top. Only with this organization it will be with class and character.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to iamnotDCtoo:

Amen to that! Only thing I've ever agreed with a gator troll on.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

jcp201 writes:

I'm loving this kid.

BeRealistic writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

WD, give her a big one (Hug). LOL

Bogus writes:

in response to tsaecesnitsebhtruof:

Quit being a turd. Your beloved Gators offered this kid too, you'd be bragging about him if he committed to UF. You coming on here spouting nonsense all the time is what's pathetic. Who's that QB UF signed? Burton? If you wanna brag about how many stars are next to a QB's name, tell me how your backup compares. Better pray Brantley doesn't go down or you guys are screwed.

His offer list included UT, UF, FSU, LSU, UNC, Notre Dame, Stanford, and UK. Bama was recruiting him but hadn't offered (they don't need to with McCarron and Sims already in the fold).

brokebackvol writes:

Three big keys:
1. It's Tennessee.
2. Dooley is a name known in the football world
3. Character matters with this coach.

Go Vols and Happy 4th y'all!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Underated QB for sure;His stats are pretty unreal; betterthan Brays; Gators got commit from #1 QB..Passing wise he has nothing on Worley but he's big and likes to run the ball..Basically he is a Tebow clone

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to DaddyVol:

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to all my BIG ORANGE brothers and sisters.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!

Same to you Daddyvol

voloffaith writes:

in response to jesusvol4:

Thanks again for the flattery(don't want and don't need) of modifying my user name that has been on here since June 2007. Kinda like gary using witchdoctor uncreatively from the original witch_doctor.

On topic day ok will be better if this holds up on signing day. Young mister Worley likes coaches integrity so I think he will probably hold to his word to the VOLS.

Cldvols1 writes:

Can never have too many, welcome aboard! Go Big Orange!!!

Psychovol writes:

I'm from East TN and I love it. But can somebody explain to me what the recruits see in Knoxville that is appealing to them. I must be missing something and because I love it I'd like to be in the know. Maybe a top ten list of attractions would do it.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Psychovol:

Nice campus,mountains,lakes,tons of restaurants,tradition of great fan support,stadium/facilities ,as a young man probably likes coed status of UT as well(I did in my single days),to name a few reasons.

Not bad for Mr. Worley to like UT and commit.

sampears writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

omg, witch_doctor if she puts up with you, you better do what ever she wants.....: )

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Thank you Justin! I will light up and set off a big boomer tonight in celebration!

I'm glad I have my freedom and live in the best part of the country----east Tennessee.

Feel sorry for someone who doesn't!

Ironcity writes:

This is the type of recruit I have been looking for. Someone you can build a class around. I hope this is the start of UT getting commits from players everyone wants.

arkyvol writes:

when read in context as opposed to the byline, worley's comment is inoffensive. otherwise, "i made his day" sounds like he's just another one of the narcisstic dips who seem to dominate modern sports. the last thing the vols need. glad i read the story.

jwsmith1935 writes:

Good to see nice, encouraging comments for both the new recruit and the HC, but the season hasn't started yet. Hope everyone will be so gracious when Mr. Worley throws a few INT's and the team gets it's hat handed to it. I'm not trying to be a smart as_s but let's face it Tennessee is starting from scratch. A new HC, rookie players who will need to play like All American seniors for us to have the season we all want. I'm just saying, I'm happy to see the progress but don't get overexcited until the rubber meets the road. Good luck, and all the best to staff and team.

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

in response to jwsmith1935:

In order to make something from "scratch", you need the proper ingredients. I'll be the first to admit we have a very long way to go. Dooly didn't create this situtation, but he is taking the proper steps to correct it in a way that is respected by the fans, players, and future players. I don't have great expectations for this team this year, or next. You can't fix UT that quickly, but you can bet I'll be wearing my colors and not bashing the players or staff. Win or lose, it's GO VOLS!!!

Happy 4th!!

DaddyVol writes:

in response to Psychovol:

Think about it psycho.

We have the Great Smoky Mountains National Park at our back door. Also surrounded by beautiful lakes, rivers, streams etc.

Knoxville is on the way to a lot of places only a days drive away.

Now, compare this to the Tuscaloser, Red Pantyville, Clintonville, Lexingtoothless, Oxfart, and others.

What is there to do in God forsaken places like Starkravingmadville or the loveliest village near Montgomery?

And let's not forget the crazies in gorgeous Baton Rude.

If a young man wants to play in the best conference in America, Knoxville and the surrounding area doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

bigorangebolt writes:

Absolutely, fantastic! Coach Dooley, keep up the great work! Hard work and deterimination will get us back on top!It is great to be a TN VOLUNTEER! www.baseballchatters.com