Malik Jackson: Tennessee hit me up and they said they needed help

Malik Jackson said he was not leaving Southern California because of NCAA penalties. The junior defensive end will transfer to Tennessee and be eligible to play for the Vols during the 2010 season.

"It wasn't that at all," Jackson told The Los Angeles Times. "I didn't really care about that. I was playing with my buddies, but Tennessee hit me up and they said they needed help at the end spot, that I could come in and help them.

"That sounded better than where I felt I was at with USC."

Jackson is expected to start summer classes Thursday at the school that USC coach Lane Kiffin bolted from in January after one season as coach.

Kiffin said in a statement Tuesday that Jackson was seeking more playing time. Kiffin also said the USC staff wished him the best of luck.

The NCAA is allowing Southern California juniors and seniors to transfer without sitting out a season in the wake of sanctions issued against the Trojans. Jackson, a 6-foot-5, 245-pound native of Van Nuys, Calif., has two years of eligibility left.

He appeared in all 13 of USC’s games last season, recording 18 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

Full interview with Jackson later online and in Wednesday's News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ralphie writes:

karma

Bigger_Al writes:

If only we could get two Big Uglies to follow...

bluetick writes:

This is awesome! Dooley and crew are working it! Anytime we can slap jackaxx in the face, I'm happy.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhtt.... As if we didn't know that he was going to be available and likely willing to go, and also as if he really wasn't concerned about the NCAA allegations. If I was a rising Junior at U $ C, I'd be pissed if I knew that no matter what I did or the team did, I couldn't ever go to a bowl game again in college. He may only be with us one year, maybe two, but either way, I don't buy into one bit of his comments saying that the NCAA allegations didn't sway him away. Sure.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

Either way, still pumped to have him. GO VOLS!

jman33163 writes:

Seantrel Henderson was just released from his scholarship by usuc. Any chance he looks at our Vols? Probably a long shot but would be nice.

Go Big Orange!!!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to bluetick:

Yes awesome! But you meant B-tch Slap (Jackazz) Liar lame Surfer Dude, didn't you? LOL
LOVE IT!

Even liar lame has to know, every transfer now is like adding another to the 30 lost scholarships in the probation! By my count it will take usc 5 years to be back to 85 scholarship players, YES! OH and that will be with another new coach by the end of 5 years as well!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT

CHITOWNVOL writes:

i read the article(s) on InsideTennesse.com and they have him as the 2nd string at DE. Apparently, Kiffin took the high road with him behind the scenes, which is actually good to hear after his actions following the departure. I hope this kid can play DT as well. We already have 3+ solid DEs and some young talent too, that's an understatement...

u know what's strange, that JC transfer John Brown hasn't come up in any of my mags or any articles I've read about contributing on the DLine. I thought he was supposed to be some sort of solid pick up

tennesseebee writes:

Kiffin wished him the best of luck ON THE OUTSIDE, but inside.....

tnsportsman writes:

in response to jman33163:

Go Big Orange!!!

My source says Tyron Smith OT from USC will be visiting Knoxville by next week. He is considering Tennessee & Miami. Read a report Seantrel Henderson is interested in Miami as well.

Let's get one of them!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

nocleats writes:

Tennessee really really NEEDS help at the DT position if any of his friends are looking. GBO!!

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

I agree with you on all points, but who cares. He's leaving USC for Big Orange country. It's a solid uppercut to azzhole and we get a seasoned player. There's no downside for us. I'm happy for Vol Nation and for CDD.

phunpharm writes:

Welcome!

Bogus writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

If you're reading the preseason magazines, you won't see much about John Brown; when they went to print he still wasn't eligible. He's at UT, I believe, but still has work to do to become eligible for the fall. If he's eligible to play, has been working out under Wylie, and gets a good dose of Chuck Smith, I'm sure he'll be in the two-deep. Don't see him unseating Hughes and Walls since they have a full season and the spring and summer under their belt. What would be great is if Brown and Jackson can be solid backups to spell our starters.

Bogus writes:

in response to shen24:

You're more annoying than a 2 year-old with ADD.

BamaVol writes:

This kid acts like he wants a coach he can trust.

SC_Grad_Fight_On writes:

Wow, great case of schadenfreude. I wish UT success but how long will Lame Kitten envy go on? Having met him at the Rose Bowl game v. Texas, I really don't think that SC scored a great one. No one at Heritage Hall liked him during his first tenure.
It's the student athletes that suffer in this turmoil caused by the lack of oversight by Coach Carroll.
Fight on!

VolfanKY writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

You must have really delved deep into the human psyche to come to that conclusion. People are upset when bad things happen to them, but when good things happen they're happy. The players transferring from USC actually have strong incentive due to NCAA sanctions, including a bowl ban for two years. He was leaving a program that clearly wasn't cultivating upright character. GBO!

oskie_score writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

Let's get one of them!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

tnsportsman I too heard that Tyron Smith was considering his options, Tennessee being one. As for Seantrel IMO, it will be either Miami or ND.

MORE from USC??? Quite possibly...Kyle Prater, DJ Morgan & Nickell Robey are said to be contemplating a move.

VolfanKY writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

Sounds good, but All Americans aren't leaving programs they're obviously having success at. Players leave programs when they have the ability but not neccessarily the circumstances in their current environments. Reasons could include incompatability with a coaching staff or a star-studded and experienced depth chart. Neither of which the players could control. GBO!

516milesfromUT writes:

Seantrel to that Ohio team in the big 10/11/12 conference

oskie_score writes:

DoctorVol50, your passive-aggressive display is all too apparent and tiring. Charlatan!

volgrog#210164 writes:

I don't know if Malik Jackson can play, but I'd say trading him for Lame Kitten is definitely a step in the right direction.

CoverOrange writes:

Were the rules about contacting student-athletes at other universities set aside just for USC's junior and senior football players or were all players fair game? Does anyone know?

AlcoVOLic writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

Doc, your shortsightedness is unbelievable. Is it just me or did tons of support come from this site and other message boards wishing Douglas would stick around, wishing Stephens and Campbell the best of luck in their futures, and as of now, there are still plenty of Vol fans with fingers crossed that BB will stick around and possibly bring his brother.

Also, let me educate you about D-line in that if you're not 5 deep at DE or DT for rotation purposes (2 starters and 3 backups), then you've got nothing. This kid may've not been the one on the field during the first snap, but he would've been a big time contributor at USC and will be a contributor as a Vols.

Welcome to UT Malik, I sure am excited to have you here!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to oskie_score:

Oskiescore,

I agree, Tyron Smith is a good possibility for Tennessee. Henderson to Miami I bet.

On another note, Hey Alabubba Trolls, go away and play on the train tracks. Will not respond directly to your post. You don't even exist with me!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to SC_Grad_Fight_On:

Fight on!

Schadenfreude - good word. Envy - wrong word.

It's a grudge, held by a large contingent of spurned fans.

It was like going to sleep beside Barbie and waking up to find out it wasn't Barbie but Helga instead. Then watching as Helga leaves for the guy across the street with the fancy Beamer.

SC_Grad_Fight_On writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Schadenfreude - good word. Envy - wrong word.

It's a grudge, held by a large contingent of spurned fans.

TurboFan,
Hey! Helga was never in my Beemer!

I understand. I just think that LK is no great gain or great loss. His father will have to work overtime to get him in line.

I guess I would feel the same if my children went to the University of Children of Lower Achievement (UCLA). Anyway, I may have picked the wrong year to move here but it's a great area and most people are nice. Hope Sc and UT meet for a national title game.
Fight on!

Ironcity writes:

Kiffin thought he could jerk the Juniors and Seniors around like he did at UT. The problem is they now have choices with no penalties. Lane should know if you play with fire you sometimes get burned. This is just one of many that are leaving. His personality towards players he did not recruit is going to kill him and the sanctions won't allow him to reload. Couldn't happen to a bigger jerk.

Bigger_Al writes:

I'd say Jackson has a real chance to start this year for the Vols. Walls, Hughes, and even Martin have a ways to go, and Walker's back could be an issue. Regardless, with him and John Brown coming in, I feel a lot better about the D-Line.

Looks like Tyron Smith is a returning starter for USC. You wonder why he would leave, but on the other hand, what a great opportunity to experience something else. Compete for two years with the Trojans, then come play in the SEC without having to sit out!

SC_Grad_Fight_On writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Seeing as I am becoming a NCAA sanction expert, the exemption for juniors and seniors is a standing NCAA clause; nothing special for the SC sanctions.

Further, SC has fully released Henderson from his letter without restrictions.

Finally, SC has provided evidence that the McNair phone call was off by a year and from Lakes to McNair.

nola_vol writes:

An ideal situation:

If the word on the street is that Malik is coming as a 2nd-stringer...
and then Chuck coaches him up into something better...
it can only increase our appeal to recruits at that position.

By way of confession, it does seem to me that most defensive ends who proceed to the next level get "noticed" in their junior season. If that's true, it's probably a combination of physical development, position skills, football knowledge, and self-confidence all reaching critical mass.

Regardless, Malik presents an opportunity for Coach Chuck to demonstrate--with a "previously measured quantity"--what he can do for players who come to UT.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Can someone who knows more about recruiting than me (the field is wide open) help me out on this. Can coaches contact theses players while they are still on scholarship at USC, or do they have to wait until they are released? Sounds like Malik Jackson is saying the UT coaches came to him and convinced him to leave USC. I guess as long as the NCAA is OK with it, they sure are giving Kiffin and Orgeron a dose of their own medicine, as when Orgeron tried to get recruits not to go to class at UT so they could transfer to USC or elsewhere.

SC_Grad_Fight_On writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

According to NCAA rules, SC juniors and seniors are open to any school. Sophmores and Freshmen need to be released.

jjsteel writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Kiffins scratchin' his head too!

FWBVol writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

Simms was a Kiffin recruit, and as it turns out, it is good to have him on the team. I still believe that Bray will end up being the guy, but Simms gives us someone that has played college ball and was a starter at a top Juco program last year.

Stephens left when the third coaching staff in as many years made it clear he wasn't starting material at UT.

I don't know what kind of doctor you claim to be, but you must have a Phd. in discouragement. It sure isn't math, because the Jackson kid is going to be a junior at UT after transferring from USC, that, at worst, would make him a two-year starter.

If you had been paying attention any at all you would realize that we are down 10-15 scholarship players due to those that quit or Kiffn ran off. We need depth that have been through the wars of college football until we can rebuild our depleted troops.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to shen24:

Come on Farragut, we know it's you.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Hey Lane, the VolNation asks you......

"Any news is good news", right?

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

And how about Seantrel Hendersons dad telling Lane to release his son from his signing or he was going public with Kiff's promises to get him there........

can't ask for a better Hollywood drama folks.

TheOpinion writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

So what you're saying is we should reject all these transfers and go out there with 60 scholarship players instead? Great idea. But depth is a big part of football and any sport. And the guy played 2 years at USC and was battling for a starting spot this year. Bama and Florida haven't gone thru the rough times we've gone thru lately so its safe to say they're good when it comes to talent and do not need transfers...oh wait Cody came from JuCo and played a huge role in the Bama NC.

vols2#227315 writes:

Sound like he would have had little playing time.
Was he a one or two star player?

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

can't ask for a better Hollywood drama folks.

Henderson is already gone -- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07...

Let's hope he doesn't go to Florida. That was one of his finalists.

VolfanKY writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

First, you can't exactly have national aspirations given our current situation. Second, Tennessee has had at least a top ten class three of the last four years. If you're referring to our lack of four and five star commitments thus far, you'll have to understand that Tennessee isn't exactly a hot bed of SEC talent. LSU has quite a few four and one five star commitment so far, all of which are from Louisiana except for one three star linebacker. That, combined with a new coaching staff is reason enough for elite prospects to wait until Dooley shows what he can do in a game. GBO!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

Sound like he would have had little playing time.
Was he a one or two star player?

close - he was a 4-star on rivals in 2008.

Stars are an imperfect predictor of performance at the college level - so how is that relevant now?

BigBadVol writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

Why do you continue to post such diatribes? I guess we are suppose to accept your uneducated opinion and ignore the judgment of these coaches. I'll put my money on the coaches any day.

DC_Vol writes:

in response to shen24:

I can tell by your comments you are upset that UT is improving. Everytime you post your upset, and that does my heart good! Our last two classes were top ten and know we are getting high quality tranfers.

Everytime you post I see the fear in your words. You seem jealous of our recent success and scared of what that will translate to on the field against Florida coming up in our home stadium. Go Vols!

cwbytruckers writes:

Sideline SOFA TV watching coaches. GOTTA LOVE EM.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

Hey Lane, the VolNation asks you......

"Any news is good news", right?

Now that was a good post. I guess that statement was bound to come home to Kiffin some day.

DC_Vol writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

You UT Fan Card has now officially been revoked. Per review of your card, it appears your card is fraudulent and it appears your card really is a UF Fan Card. Please see yourself to the door and do not return.

GO VOLS!!!

CHITOWNVOL writes:

in response to Bogus:

thanks for the update. not to be too paranoid (although justified over the past decade), but these are the only recruits that I don't think are on campus yet:
Dave Clark
John Brown ??
Matt Darr
Brent Brewer
Eddrick Loften
Marcques Dixon ?? did he qualify yet; heard he was retaking a test
Justin Hunter

i love this class (especially with the late additions). I think we can hang our hat on it in 2 years or so. I hope we get everybody to make it on campus and get enrolled for school.