Officer still in serious condition

Knoxville Police Department Officer Robert Capouellez

Photo by J. Miles Cary

Knoxville Police Department Officer Robert Capouellez

Knoxville Police Department Officer Robert Capouellez, 24, remained in serious condition Saturday at University of Tennessee Medical Center after a Friday morning bar fight involving several University of Tennessee football players.

Due to an "honest mistake," a nursing administrator had incorrectly told some media that Capouellez had been released from the hospital late Friday night, a hospital spokesperson said Saturday.

According to Knoxville police, Capouellez had attempted to break up a brawl at Bar Knoxville, 1820 Cumberland Ave. Capouellez, who was off-duty and not in uniform at the time of the incident, sustained a head injury.

Witnesses said Capouellez was hit in the head and knocked to the ground, where a suspect "kicked the officer several times before fleeing the scene," a police spokesman said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vol94 writes:

How can the hospital make such an error with all the media hype?

tn_rockytop writes:

man i hope is ok

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to tn_rockytop:

man i hope is ok

hope he is ok and recovers fine

Ironcity writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Congratulations, with over 1000 post since the Bar incident you probably have posted the dumbest post yet.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to volballrocks:

I believe he is being punished as we type wouldn't you? I can't believe the lack of intelligence and passion by people like you. If you look up the meaning of stupid,they will have your picture as an example.

Reflections writes:

in response to volballrocks:

One can only hope you're kidding. In that case, maybe you're just guilty of a warped sense of humor. Notice my attempt at charity.

kck writes:

To be clear, the media has suggested that the police officer was trying to help break up the fight.

This guy sounds like he's in bad shape, if that's the case I hope these turkeys go to jail, that's where they belong.

To continually beat someone who is on the ground with a busted skull makes you a pathetic coward.

ric1958 writes:

Geez! You are DUMB!!

jtolliver writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Just so you know "Captain volballrocks" Officer Rob is technically "on duty" when he is off duty at Bar Knoxville. As a bartender at Bar of Knoxville, he comes in on a regular basis to make sure everything is running smooth and we have no problems. It just so happened that when he did come in to check on us bartenders a fight broke out. He is known by every bartender on the strip just because he will pop in for a few minutes, ask if everything is alright, and then leave. He is going above and beyond to make sure everyone in the strip area is safe. After all it is dangerous on this side of town after hours thanks to the Fort being right behind the strip. So next time you want to say something as ignorant as that you better know the details of the story and if you have questions or concerns by all means email me...BECAUSE I WORK THERE.

Ralph_Crampton writes:

At tghis time we do not know how brawl started, but the ingreidents were there that combined together was dynamite. Several big, rugged football players probably drinking beer..when some sort of rumble started...then throw into the mix an off-duty police officer in civilian clothes who tried to stop the trouble, but was injured himself...police officers are taught if you are in a bar and off-duty in civilian clothes, you leave the area of scuffle, call the patrol cars...once scufflers see police in uniform they stop the melee and run. The young police officer used poor judgement...he was taught to forget you are an officer, leave your gun and badge at home if you want to down a drink or two at a bar...The general public have an ambiguous attitude toward police officers anyway. We all hope the injured officer will be just fine.

SouthALVol writes:

in response to volballrocks:

It's my understanding Officer Capouellez is a "former" Marine. I guess if he had been injured while "off duty" in the Middle East you would have blamed him for that also.

OrangePsyched writes:

I was one of those under the impression that the officer had been released. This will be a very serious matter for those involved. Seems the police should have the statements and eye witness accounts. We should be hearing something soon I would think. I hope so as this tarnishes the entire team and many of them I'm sure are good guys. As for the specific ones involved they should have serious charges against and the least of their worries should be playing football again. ROCKY TOP!

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

AMEN! Prayers have been said in North Carolina. May this officer have a full and speedy recovery.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Thank you for reminding me that there are people like you in this country. Thanks to the rest of you for assuring me that most people in this country are not like that.

alwaysVol writes:

hope for a speedy recovery for the officer, and he should be commended for putting himself in harms way where most of us would of sat back and done nothing. a very scary situation I would imagine.

Gatorhater_64 writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Really...all you can think about is 'what will happen to an off duty officer obviously drinking late at night....' Where did you come up with that he had to be drinking? And obviously his health is not of any concern to you....Come on man, life is about making the right comments...and you my friend have really made a poor comment here. Hope the young man comes thru his injuries okay and they throw the book at who ever did this to him. Nuff said!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to volballrocks:

You know, I've made some jokes about players drinking, etc. But there is nothing funny about someone getting their brains beat in while trying to do the right thing.

I'd advise you to watch your mouth. Right or wrong - if you said something this absolutely stupid in a bar someone might bash in your brains.

Canpflier writes:

in response to Ralph_Crampton:

It's too bad KNS doesn't have a "suggest frontal lobotomy" option along with the "suggest removal" and "reply...". And thank God MOST people certainly do not have an "ambiguous" attitude toward police officers. I assume you mean "ambivalent" attitude, I think normal people have the highest respect for law enforcement, the exceptions generally being those who have reasons to avoid police.

Nothing in any reports on this matter offer any reason whatsoever to believe this officer did anything improper or not in compliance with department policies or training. Getting tired of the bozos who make up these claims from whole cloth with obviously no background in law enforcement. So, in other words, why not just shut the pie hole until you have facts to support your tripe!

CroKev writes:

Give me a break! Nobody at the scene there knows or can identify the guy who "kicked the officer several times before fleeing the scene"? The people who are protecting this guy are as guilty as the thug who did this.

OllieSouth writes:

in response to Ironcity:

+1. Beam me up, Scottie. No intelligent life down here.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to kck:

To be clear from the get go, I'm pro cop for two reasons:

1. They're our front line to pulic safety. I've seen firsthand what happens when they're not on the street and you don't want that, you do not want that.

2. I've been on ride outs in two major cities with cops. I saw up close some of the stuff they encounter and wondered why on Earth anyone would want such a job. Some people out there are so vicious even a python-mamba hybrid is docile compared to them. Some (make that many) are so stupid that even their stupid is smarter than they are. And some just don't have a bent penny's worth of common sense of any kind.

Now that being said, let me assure you while I agree with you about the kicking while down thing. Now do you know that cops do the same thing even when a person isn't resisting arrest. I've seen it, you probably have too on cop shows or news videos. I refuse to believe it is the majority of cops, just the hoodlums who happen to have a badge. But the number is growing as video cameras capture what used to be easily lied about or sweep under a rug. 230LBS cop beating a 115LBS barmaid because she refused to sell him more alcohol realizing he was obviously drunk. I won't recite more here, it's pointless to do so but cops get away with far too much abuse of power.

If I unerstand right, if you're off duty and out of uniform, you're supposed to call in a disturbance not jump into it. And given the hostility of certain groups toward cops, it's smarter to make that call instead of jumping into it.

Finally, when I look at the picture of the officer, I'm immediately reminded of a pair of recent academy graduates who passed me coming into a parking lot at a community college. For practically no reason they spun around and pulled in behind my car, so close I couldn't open the trunk to get my briefcase. They strutted up to me as I merely stood there, laughed, got back in the car and drove off. hoodlums, punks in uniform nothing more. Looking for a chance to do something they know they aren't likely to be held accountable for.

Do I condone the bar inciden? H3LL NO! At that hour the players should have been asleep in their dorms or something. No good comes of being in bars at all in my view which is why you will never find me in one, alcohol plus late hours = nothing but trouble. Anybody knows this and if they were too stupid to avoid a place of known trouble they desrve what they get. I wasn't there nor were you, but I do know firsthand and via observation that too many cops are not what I and others would call good guys. Not to say there aren't any because I know there is, have meet a darn good number of them too.

OllieSouth writes:

in response to VOODOOley:

I like the way you think!

AsianView writes:

So does anyone yet know, or have a serious clue, who struck the officer and caused his serious injuries?

Like CroKev, I cannot understand why the responsible assailant has not yet been identified and charged. Maybe conflicting witness accounts?

EastTNvolfan writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Why should he get punished? He was off duty, didn't start any fights, and was just trying to stop the brawl by the sounds of it.

AppreciativeAlum writes:

Kicking a person while they are down is attemted murder.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

in response to FreeTDTN:

Yes. I am sure this fine young man was there to keep the peace. UTPD and The KPD have patroled the strip for years. They do a great job....even on game day... I'll take payment in $100's:) GBO and get well soon officer!

goldmoon writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Troll. (people please ignore him)

pragmatist writes:

First, I hope the young officer escapes this injury with no long term effects. Judgement, good or bad, I don't wish brain damage on anyone.

Second, I've read all these comments and just wanted to add that it was "teen night" at Bar Knoxville. My teenage child knows several piers that witnessed the melee. Nice, huh? Note to self, child never gets to go to "teen night" at any bar. Why do we allow bars to conduct "teen night" anyway?

Now, what I don't get is this: Why does the university tolerate underage drinking from athletes? Would we lose recruits because they realize they can't thug around until 2 a.m.? How many people have to get beat up by muscle bound, drunk football players before UT decides to raise the bar (no pun intended). I would be VERY, VERY interested to hear what David Moon has to say about the situation.

The real criminals here are those responsible for the inadequate supervison of the thugs brought here to generate revenue for the Athletic Department. I believe the University should be financially liable for the actions, on and off campus, of its athletes. That would change things overnight. When I attended UT, we became very leery when a group of football players showed up in a bar, for good reason. I have witnessed ALOT of violence from student athletes and I can see nothing has changed. I believe this is result of a calculated risk taken by the university to secure and pacify elite athletes at the general expense of the endagered public. This will get smoozed over and the University will NOT implement ANY restrictions to insure this kind of thing doesn't happen on the strip. I hope the NCAA puts investigators in every bar on every campus, it will be a bust easier than taking candy from a baby. Then we will can level the playing field and utilize the talents of the "good" athletes that are also victims of these thugs.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to AppreciativeAlum:

Kicking a person while they are down is attemted murder.

Not necessarily. Like most things, kicking has an intent. Aiming at the head I agree with you 100%. Kicking a small child, I agree with you again. Kicking an adult or near adult in the rib cage, groin, legs or even shoulders has a distinctively different intent. I know this from seeing torture in real life and documentary film. Regardless, I do believe it's both a cowardly and evil thing to do. Here are some examples of hoodlums and punks who happen to have a badge. And based on your comments, attempted murder so in short in each case but one the cop got away with the attempt.

I remember this one, traffic stop, woman trying to get her seatbelt off as cop jerks her from the car.

Personally, I think the girl was resisting arrest, was a spoiled brat, and probably
Need a decent butt kick BUT it is not a cop’s job to brutalize a hand cuffed person.

It doesn’t change the fact those players if they had any sense wouldn’t have been where they were or hung around after things started going bad. The bravest act is having the guts to walk away. But most people are too arrogant to do that.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

I spent 4 years on road duty in the MP Corp and got a lot of good training that saved my life..What happens to many officers is they become what is called "road hardened"..At that point you start profiling citizens like they are all felons no matter the size,demeanor or offense..To be successful as a cop you have to become good at being a good judge of character on a moments notice;which isn't as hard as it sounds..Ive had routine interaction with city police in Fla. and they all had inflated egos and awful disrespect..I once had an officer ask me why my pupils were pin point while his car was shining a 1000 watt light on me..When I told him it was because of the lights he told me to shut up and sit on a curb.I believe the best law enforcement is found among State Troopers; most are professional and well trained..Local police adopt their own policy;mostly bad but some very good.The policeman in question reacted on instinct thinking he could control the situation and I would have done the same except by looking at his picture he looked like you could have knocked him over with a feather and once outnumbered he was in over his head right away. I wish him a speedy recovery..As far as DaRicks resisting arrest charge it's laughable; In 75% of all arrests it's something that is always listed in the arrest report to make the person more guilty than they appear.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Let's just play some darn football!

TommyJack writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Curious post launched from an amoeba-sized brain.

Oklahoma_Vol_Fan writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Would you mind changing your posting name from volballrocks to say "ihavenoideawhatI'mtalkingabout"
Vol and you don't belong on the same page.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

Why is everyone so against the idea that the officer should be punished? Sounds like he had his hand in the situation and should face the consequences. Just because he's a cop and in the hospital doesn't mean he didn't do anything wrong. If one of the players got hurt and ended up in the hospital too, would we be so quick to say "kick him off!"? For all any of us know, the cop could have started the whole thing. And since people tend to judge others based off of pictures on this website (you know, calling every athlete a thug because they're black and have tattoos), I'd say the officer looks like a sketchy person, in a similar analogy.

Colliervol writes:

in response to pragmatist:

Nice thought in theory but "inadequate supervision"? What would you have them do? Chain them to their beds at night? How in the world is an athletic dept going to keep track of 85 football players and especially when the vast majority live in off-campus apartments? Can't happen.

There has to be swift consequences for stupid actions and that is about the only way to set an example to control it. If the department doesn't do that, they are powerless to control some of these kids.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

I agree Bar Knoxville blows to the max anyway haha.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to volballrocks:

I agree. I bet they won't even look into it.

trampas2bad writes:

Who says that the police officer was obviously drinking? What Knoxville Nostradamus has this particular insight? Why is this accepted as fact here on this forum but not reported as fact in police reports or news reports?

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Wow!! Wish I hadn't come to this page! Nothing but a bunch of idiot posters today.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

And you just became one of them. Congrats.

Rowboat_Ranger writes:

in response to volballrocks:

Since we don't want anything to happen to our beloved Tennessee Vols then why not move the blame to this guy for trying to break up this fight? So now its against the law to party on your own time? I would imagine it was his duty to try and protect the victim at his own expense. You need to face it you have a problem with a Gangland type situation in Knoxville!!!!

Chris4Vols22 writes:

Altercation inside club, gets taken care of by moving it outside, UT officer assaulted for no good reason...A lot of details seem to be missing. Weird flow of events, huh? What's this one 24-year-old, off-duty, 175 lb., possibly intoxicated UTPD (not KPD) doing?

Not all athletes are criminals, not all policemen are ethical.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to givim6:

Oh thanks, but I was hoping for information from a CREDIBLE SOURCE...not some frat boy.

Rowboat_Ranger writes:

in response to CadmiumOchre:

To be clear from the get go, I'm pro cop for two reasons:

I agree with your comments about Police brutality and I think alot of them use there badge and gun to bolster their ego, but in most cases when police officers are caught on tape breaking the law they pay the price. This doesn't seem to be the case with Tennessee's athetes. If I had to bet on the outcome of this I would put money on one or two being kicked off the team permanent and the rest getting slapped on the wrist. Again it seems we have somebody who wants to divert the blame away from their Beloved Tennessee Vols. These guys are Thugs plain and simple!!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Just one comment about your article and my experience with law enforcement as a citizen. My traffic stops by metro level police have all been respect from the officer. The most disrespectful stop was from a god like tn state trooper. It gave me an opinion they were all brats given political appointments to enforce the law. Semper Fi

gatorbaitheaven writes:

Prayer out to the officer, hope he recovers with no permanent injuries.

Also to Tenn. fans just remember most of the guys on your team are not like this and would not act this way. All teams have people who cant seem to behave themselves. As a lifelong Gator fan I take no joy in these events. Hope it workes its self out and Tenn. fans and Gator fans can get back to trash talkin FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigOrangeSlim writes:

in response to jmr68ut:

Really people???? I eat breath and live football but trust me it is a game and what happened in that bar is real life!!! The officer is sworn to be an officer on or off duty. Get rid of the thugs. We knew we were coming up on hard times. The former coach told us and every mouth piece in the business has told us this will be a rebuilding year in Big Orange Country. Way I see it is we have to rebuild a little more and what is done now will be little more than a memory 5 years from now.

TennHillbilly writes:

All of this makes me VERY proud to have someone like Pat Summit amongst our coaching ranks and hope Dooley can come close to matching her coaching/parenting abilities. Thank you Pat for keeping our ladies out of the headlines. And before someone mouths off, Brittany Jackson is no longer on the Lady Vol roster.

Rowboat_Ranger writes:

in response to CadmiumOchre:

Still trying to divert the blame? I guess all their kicks were aimed for the ribs, but missed the mark? The fact is there is a man in the hospital because of this and you are wanting to blame police brutality. Why is everybody tippy toeing around the fact that this cop was white and the players black? Would race have anything to do with this, and did they kick harder when he identified himself as a cop?

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to VOODOOley:

man you shouldnt even go there it was a fight that got out of hand we dont even know what really happend. i know speaking for myself i have done things and the next day regreted every bit of it with and with out alcohol we dont know what started it and dont know what happend just hope that the man is ok and everybody learns a leason the rasist stuff just makes every thing look real bad and probally had nothing to do with the fight it is 2010 enough with it move on we are people and there are good and bad people that is it