Cobb glad Martin at Kentucky

New Kentucky assistant makes connection via social media

HOOVER, Ala. - Tee Martin's best asset might have nothing to do with coaching.

According to his new boss at Kentucky, the former Tennessee quarterback and Wildcats receivers coach could make his biggest impact on Facebook.

And just in case anybody thought Joker Phillips was playing around at SEC football media days on Wednesday, the best player at Martin's new position confirmed just how valuable the assistant can be on the social-networking website.

"It's actually weird that he's my coach now, because about six months before (he was hired) he had added me on Facebook," former Alcoa star Randall Cobb said. "So, I sent him a message and I was telling him my story how he was my role model growing up, and just to be friends with him on Facebook was like an honor for me.

"I told him that if a coaching job ever came open at Kentucky, I hoped he would take it."

Heading into his first season leading the Wildcats, Phillips had one in the offseason and both he and Cobb got what they were looking for.

As a bonus for Phillips, he was able to fill it with a coach who had already struck up a relationship with a player he'd be leaning upon heavily.

And joking or not, he could also look at how that bond was created on the Internet and see how that could pay off for Kentucky down the road as well.

"The number one thing is he understands Facebook, which a bunch of us don't understand it," Phillips said. "I understand it a little bit, but he understands Facebook.

"And, I mean, he is not that far removed from winning the national championship. These kids know him. Randall Cobb and he were already friends on Facebook.

"Randall was right there in Alcoa, which is right outside Knoxville. He was one of his idols, because Randall was a quarterback. That's helped us.

"He's brought that and a lot of positives for us. We're excited to have him."

Maybe nobody more than Cobb, who no longer needs a computer to form a connection with Martin.

In fact, Cobb no longer even has a Facebook account, which might free up Martin to send out some new friend requests.

"He was actually one of my role models growing up," Cobb said. "Whenever I was growing up, he was the quarterback and he won a national championship, and me being from that area, I watched their football and I liked the way he played, liked his playing style, how much heart he played with.

"(Now), I love his coaching style. He's always motivating me, and that's the biggest thing. I don't think there's been a day that I've talked to him that he hasn't motivated me."

That at least offers a reminder Martin is having an impact on the field as well.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

newvolfan writes:

Tee is first class.

GreeneVol_TN writes:

Tee Martin is always a great ambassador for the sport. I remember his stories about the area he grew up in while in high school and it's great he can be an inspiration to young people no matter what school they are attending.

Hats off to you Tee!

dvhill100 writes:

Happy fot T. He was a class act here at UT, a great player and a better person. I wish him total success in every game but one.

Bigger_Al writes:

That championship is meaningless since Fulmer was the coach.

Jediphysics writes:

Championships aren't meaningless unless you had to cheat to get them. Sheesh!

Going to be strange to see Tee in Kentucky blue this fall. Wonder if we'll ever get him in TN Orange again?

nocleats writes:

Better watch out on the facebook thing..

richvol writes:

Cobb was not good enough to play for Fulmer...at least until Kentucky offered him and by then it was too late. Now he is the best player on an SEC team that has experienced the most success of any Kentucky team since Bear Bryant was their coach. Another shining moment in decision making by the former staff...kind of like pooch kicks.

RockyTop1 writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

That championship is meaningless since Fulmer was the coach.

IDIOT!

OTPVol writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

That championship is meaningless since Fulmer was the coach.

C'mon Al! Quit hogging the crack pipe...

VOLliven2it writes:

Wish Tee and Cobb well. UK should be pretty good this year and I know they will be gunning for us. I hope we can play up by that game and have a good showing. As for Cobb not coming to UT, it would have been great but did not happen. So we go on any way. Maybe in the future our coaching staff can look closer at closely dwelling potential players.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to OTPVol:

C'mon Al! Quit hogging the crack pipe...

I was joking, guys. Irony. Taking what the Fulmer-haters say to the next level.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

UK program has just about reached it's maximum potential, while UT is at it's lowest possible ebb.

If UK can't beat UT this year, they need to accept the fact that the streak is going to head north of 50, and might go to triple digits.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

My favorite thing about the streak is that if it is broken, UK's losing streak to Florida then becomes the longest active streak.

AlWilsonFan writes:

in response to richvol:

"kind of like pooch kicks"

Well played sir, well played. :D