Slive says 'welcome' to Dooley and as for that other guy ...

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive talks to media during the SEC Media Days on Wednesday, July 21, 2010, in Hoover, Ala.

Photo by AP Photo / Butch Dill

HOOVER, Ala. — Although Derek Dooley still hasn’t arrived at his first SEC football media days, the conference already has its arms wide open for the new Tennessee coach.

Commissioner Mike Slive took a couple of subtle shots at the guy who used to have the UT job, Florida coach Urban Meyer looked positively thrilled that Lane Kiffin was gone and Dooley’s old boss, Nick Saban, praised his new coaching rival. Dooley might not be in town yet, but just about everybody at the Wynfrey Hotel on Wednesday seemed excited by the prospect that he would be representing the Vols instead of the alternative.

“(A) head-coaching change took place at Tennessee when Derek Dooley’s predecessor left to return to his western roots,” a smiling Slive said during his opening remarks. “I want to welcome coach Dooley back to the SEC.

“And when I say welcome, I mean welcome.”

It surely was no coincidence that Slive immediately segued away from Kiffin — who he never mentioned by name — to regional pride and a sense of family, particularly since the cultural fit and Dooley’s ties to the conference have endeared him as much to the Vols as it has the league office.

He took Dan Mullen off the hook as the new guy on the block, which the Mississippi State acknowledged as a plus during his podium session.

His hiring surely made life easier on Florida’s Meyer, who flashed a wide smile when asked about Southern California’s recent NCAA sanctions before declining to comment.

And it also gave Saban another friendly face to see on the opposite sideline, even if the rivalry between the Crimson Tide and the Vols won’t go on hold because the coaches are on good terms.

“You know, Derek is a fine young coach,” Saban said. “He did a marvelous, marvelous job for us for seven years.

“I think anytime, whether it’s (Florida State’s) Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp at Texas, Derek at Tennessee, even though we have to play, (New England Patriots coach) Bill Belichick and I went through a very similar situation (in the NFL). … Even though we have to compete against Derek at Tennessee, it’s a rivalry game for us and for them as well, that we’ll never lose respect for him and his family, what he’s done. You can compete in a game without hating somebody or losing respect for them.”

Mutual respect with Saban is expected, given their history together, but in a short time Dooley appears to have earned the same from the rest of the league coaches as well.

That doesn’t mean everybody will get along on Saturdays in the fall. But during a trying offseason for the SEC in the face of an expanding issue with agents, the ability of coaches to get along and cooperate could be critical.

“No question, there’s value,” Meyer said. “On game day, that’s a whole different animal. But we’re all in this profession together.

“For example, there’s something going on with all this agent stuff. We all have to work together to get this done. I have a lot of respect for the new coach at Tennessee, and I spent a lot of time talking to him in Destin (at the league’s spring meetings). You can tell he has everything in order. He’s a high-character guy, and that’s nice to see. I have a lot of respect for that coach.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Carlitovol writes:

Bring the noise, CDD! All aboard the Dooley Express.....

Carlitovol writes:

Off-topic - does anybody know if CDD is bringing Rod Wilks to the media days? Please let it be so..

voloffaith writes:

The Great Sabani has spoken and the "love potion #9" has been poured out and entranced those about the room. The elixir is not for sale ,but only to snooker those under its aroma. "OOOHH whats that smell?" you say it smells like elephant byproduct...say it ain't so. It smelled so nice at the big inning and now in the 7th inning stretch it is a stench. Those potion sellers know how to mix up good to get ya to buy in b4 they skidaddle out of town with all yer money.

On topic, elephant ears team probably runs the table if major players stay healthy. Especially qb. Got a stable full of elephants at rb. Oh well, give ye yer due .Now we playem to see who can back up all the press/hype.

HtownVol writes:

in response to Carlitovol:

Why? Whats the deal with Rod? has he changed positions again? I dont even know what he plays any more.

How about C.J Watson getting signed to a 3 year 10 Million Dollar Deal with the Bulls (Way off topic) Great to se one Vol making it (and with my favorite NBA team). I have been on Bulls sites begging for the Bulls to add C.J for weeks now, and I love it!

Anyway, yeah is there ANY coach or AD or anyone in the SEC who liked the kid not to be named??

jsmithnga#207674 writes:

Talked to several former players from the 50s thru 80s last weekend and they are very confident we are in good hands with CDD and that he will run a good program and take no stuff from the players. I tend to believe they are more knowledgeable than some of the critics that post doom and gloom. As I have said, I am a long time VOL fan rather than of a particular coach-so support all of them now and be proud of those that have come before.

HtownVol writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Maybe for Bama (again).

Wait they didnt get any help. The Bama O-Line is perfect, and never held.

Maybe when UT has a team that has a good chance of going undefeated the SEC will hand out a little help (bama 2009).

I have asked this question many times. What happened to James Green? The 4 star WR from the 09 recruiting class.

wagee12 writes:

Rod Wilks is currently No. 1 on the depth chart at strong safety!

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Don't you mean "no holding calls for Alabama this season" - which is what came close to happening last season.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Dooley opened media days by blasting Slive and asking what Slive did in the off-season to guarantee that SEC officiating will be the best in the nation. (Slive promised after the LSU-Alabama game to take action.) Dooley could say that he's watched the tapes and expects officiating to be better than the "pro wrestling" style output many of us think the SEC provided last year.

Kiffin amused me the way he was able to keep jabbing Slive. On the Vanderbilt post-game show, sarcastically: "That was an excellent call. I'm sure that our team was in the wrong on that play. Thank you, Commissioner Slive."

By the end of the 2010 season, Slive may be ordering all internet posters and bloggers to cease criticism.

voloffaith writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

You know where you strike"FEAR" with your opponents is on the field not at the microphones. This year we shouldn't strike much"FEAR" in our opponents since we are middle-ish of the pack in talent.

For the record NO ONE HAS TOP100 RECRUITS now !!! No one has signed letters of intent!!! Your negative drivel with not a positive comment anywhere in sight is sad. They asked my wife if she woke up grumpy and she said no I let him sleep...is that a reflection of your life? Chicken little mentality doesn't make for a healthy life either. Always stressed about things that really don't add up to much in the big picture. If this looks familiar then get help to not have your loved ones see you hurt due to poor health affected by things that are only games people play. Whether head games or actual games like futboletc.

If a real doc you've seen plenty of it and should recognize the signs. Don't let foolish pride keep you from proper health and enjoying loved ones. That's it.

voloffaith writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

One last sport thought...how many games has Coach Dooley had at UT? No don't count spring game. Answer is ZERO! Normally we judge people on their work not on mere speculation. Just saying.....

PoochPuntOn3rdDown writes:

in response to wagee12:

Rod Wilks is currently No. 1 on the depth chart at strong safety!

As well as the other 21 postitions on the field, the hearts and minds of all Tennessee fans, and the nightmares of everyone he loathes....

tennrich1 writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

And just how long have you held that rant inside? Its all going to be okay. Usually, long summer days are for optimism...but not here brother, not here!

onthestrip writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

Give CDD a little time, he'll ruffle someone's feathers at some point. I'm rather happy that he's not stirring the pot in the same fashion as our previous coach did. If you're giving 30 points when we play Bama - I think you will lose.

kevin151 writes:

Its a dead arguenment but hate him all u want Kiffen would have won it all here. Dooley might win but it will take a little longer.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Well played Sir, well played.

UTATO93 writes:

in response to kevin151:

Yep, and we would truly be the USC of the South, with probation and the Hollywood glitz that comes with it.

It was a fun ride with him - he really like to goad everyone and it was fun. But looking back it was trouble lurking at we all knew it. If Fulmer can win a title (not a knock on him I still very much consider myself a fan of his) then so can Dooley. We have been champions and we will be champions again. Bring on the birds: Skyhawks and Ducks and let the fun begin again.

voloffaith writes:

in response to kevin151:

Remember your post this a.m. on Pouncey with Steve Miller take moolah and run? Well ELO had one "And I can't get it out of my head."

_iffen would have killed the institution b4 he could get the big prize. Sir Ed might have made sure of that....I'm in for the "Long Run" at the title. Build it properly and in time(if fans patieny enough) contending consistently

txvolsfan writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Maybe for Bama (again).

Wait they didnt get any help. The Bama O-Line is perfect, and never held.

Bammers only agents money!!!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

These stupid media days are so the media can get their soundbites for the season. Quotes they can go back to all year so they can have something to write or talk about. Its a joke.

Its not sexy to ask about a player (who is a good kid) or about a matchup or position. I bet 80% of the questions asked will be about barfights and parties and DUIs and shoplifting, etc.

SEAL_9821 writes:

I know this does not relate to this thread and you guys probably don't care about this topic...I heard on the radio earlier that Bryce Brown is possibly headed to Knoxville tomorrow morning to meet with coach's about returning to the team. This is just speculation from the radio so I'm not blowing this up to be truth, but was wondering what u guys have heard?

volspaws writes:

Does anyone find it a little bit surprising and unsettling that a man of Slive's status and position would allow himself to be be rankled by soundbites from a cocky football coach that were delivered only to garner a response anyway? Mike Slive should be above such pettiness..makes me wonder if he's too emotional for the job of being an objective, pragmatic decision maker who can overlook personal prejudices and effectively promote the interests of ALL SEC member schools and not just the ones with whom he has a warm and fuzzy relationship

TommyJack writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

I don't recall Fulmer ever saying anything to Spurrier except ease up.

RODGERVOLS writes:

I would rather win it all a little farther down the road, than have the ncaa constantly looking at everything we do. Lots of people want to judge the program and the players before they even get a chance. People should research all the 4 and 5 star players that never make all conference or all american all across the country, before they complain about a 3 star that will work his tail off and with some coaching become a good or even great player. I would be willing to bet that more of those top recruits bust for either off the field issues or because they weren't as good as advertised than you realize, and that more of the 3 star recruits turn out to be better than advertised and head to the NFL than most think. So let's give this staff a chance to actually coach these players and develop them before we go wanting to jump off a bridge cause our beloved VOLS didn't win the national title in the first year of Coach Dooley's term on the Hill...

feathersax writes:

Kommisar Saliva has spoken, sprinkled holy water on CDD...all's well.

mercyseat writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

NTNSTY writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

You cannot be that simple-minded and be a Doctor, or 50. Nor can you be that pessimistic and be a Vol. How DID you come up with your moniker?

mountainbrook writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

Players quit and got arrested under Kiffin too but I guess fact don't mean much here.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

You know, I'm no Kiffin defender, but I don't like like the SEC commissioner attacking any UT coach, past or present. Not only is it inappropriate for the commissioner to make personal attacks against one of our former coaches (whether it be Robert Neyland, Johnny Majors, Phillip Fulmer or Lane Kiffin), just how the hell is Mike Slive qualified to lecture anyone about class?

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to SEAL_9821:

I haven't heard anything, but it does seem strange that Brown hasn't asked for a release yet, not that he would get one. I think the running backs are going to get a lot of work this year, so this would be good news.

mercuryvol writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Exactly.Slive has NO business personally attacking any coach.A great example of his own lack of integrity.

Pullingguard writes:

It's really scary!!!! When your competition starts laying on the praise, watch out, for they
evidently feel good about their fuure.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

You are what is sickening

12Hours writes:

in response to RODGERVOLS:

AMEN! and THANK YOU!
Obviously you are a true VOL fan.

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

You do a questionable job of conveying your point - but I get it. And I think you have a good point. Actually, there's a real good reason everyone's glad Kiffin is gone - he had the best staff in the SEC. In coaching, recruiting, that staff was well on it's way to being an empire. When you go to natl champ Bama and lose by less than 3 with a patchwork team, it's a "victory" (3 point rule). It was only a matter of time with that staff. But that's all changed and now every UT foe is "happy". Although getting your point - I still think this current staff could be better.

minnehan writes:

There is great value in having a coach that people can actually like. Go CDD! You will be good for the VOLS!

Smooth_as_Eggs writes:

Mr. Mike Slive said to Dooley:
Your presence has been noted, duly.
Can’t be worse than Lane.
That guy was a pain.
We’re glad to get rid of him, truly!

Psychovol writes:

It makes me nervous that the other coaches like DD that much.

OrangePsyched writes:

Docvol you crack me up dude. You're funnier than Spongebob and I didn't think anyone could be funnier than Spongebob. Post a couple more comments...please...seriously man you're killing me. Ok I've stopped laughing now, doesn't Saban say nice things about Meyer and vice versa. It's called respect. Spurrier didn't respect Fulmer and that is why he always jabbed him. ROCKY TOP!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

drvol50 is just a poser and a troll.

He's so blatantly obviuos about his hate of our Tennessee Vols.

In all the time I've been around here I've NEVER, not even 1 time, seen him say anything good about CDD or our Tennessee Vols.

I defend his right to free speech but I also know that what he says always stinks like a full outhouse on a hot Summer day.

He's like a typical DEMONcrap LIEberal...always takes any facts and twists and distorts them to mean whatever he wants them to mean.

Or he'll simply leave out the real reasons for some stats because he only wants his useless opinions to mean something.

Example...He bashes CDD for his losing record last season at La. Tech BUT he'll never tell you that the REASON the season wasn't very good was because many of the starters were lost to season ending injuries in the first few games and that injuries were so bad by 1/2 way or 3/4 of the way through the season that CDD had to play people at their wrong positions just to put a team on the field.

He also will NOT tell you that the average travel to most games was 1,500 miles which IS a long time for kids to have to travel right before they play the game.

NFL teams that travel that far will often leave a day or 2 early and stay in the town they're visiting a day or 2 before they play the game to rest up, acclimate themselves to the time change and have a better chance to play well and win the game.

drvol50 is only here to seek attention for himself and every time we reply to him or talk about him he gets off on it because he has no real life other than to travel around to message boards and stir the pot just to get the attention that he'll die without.

I seriously pity people like drvol50.

Everyone should just IGNORE that troll, never talk to him or about him and he'll vanish forever because he's no longer the drama queen and gets no attention at all.

IMO CDD & Company have done a fine job in the very short time they've been on the hill and in 3 or 4 years we'll all be very happy to have our new coaches and very excited about how much better our football team has become.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to DoctorVol50:

You have hit the nail on the head. Slive also likes the less policing between the coaches. Since the Vols signed the hand full of higher rated players already secured by LK and staff from last year I don't see the players currently committed to the Vols listed on the want list of Bama, Gators and other top teams. Maybe if you can cherry pick enough of the players from the La Techs of the world you can compete but I have may doubts. Good Luck Vols we may need allot.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

I'm with ya marine.Our last coach was a s.o.b. but he was our s.o.b.

CCLC writes:

in response to gnm53108:

I'm with ya marine.Our last coach was a s.o.b. but he was our s.o.b.

Was Lame ever a Vol? Really? He didn't know what UT's colors were. I admire the loyalty angle but this is somewhat naive. Can you say Lame Kiffin in the same breathe as Robert Neyland...you need to wear a hat when you go outside. It's hot out there and the heat is not good for you.
just sayin'

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Love fests are nice but all that goes out the windown when toe meets leather. AC

SavTnVol writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

drvol50 is just a poser and a troll.

He's so blatantly obviuos about his hate of our Tennessee Vols.

I seriously pity people like drvol50.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

"DEMONcrap LIEberal" twisting facts? Is that anything like the FOX (makeup the) News Channel and their latest ignorant ways spinning the news about Ms Sherrod at the AG Department? Lets just leave anymore politics out of this site as it can always come back to bite you in the azz...I agree with everything else you said tho...GBO...GO CDD

gnm53108 writes:

in response to CCLC:

just sayin'

It's hot outside but I kinda like it hot.

Would I lable our last head coach a Vol?

But he was OUR last head coach....among other things that will get me axed if I listed em.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

I hope you're right pd.

This touchy-fealy stuff is making me quezy.

easleychuck writes:

If Urbie says it, it must be true. *#*#*#*#*#*#*

Southland writes:

good grief a coach is always liked when he is new and hasnt coached against anyone. Stop whining because nobody hates our coach yet. Kiffin was a punk that UT fans should have never liked and he isnt a great coach. The old timey coaches used to beat the daylights out of everyone but still could act like gentlemen. Shame that trait has been lost on most fans.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to Southland:

I like for my coach to act like he has some class also,but there's a difference between being a gentlemen and this buddy/buddy facade thats going on down there in hoover.

OTPVol writes:

I wonder if USC is going to have to make condom boy quit showing all those motivational reels of Reggie Bush now too?