Chism turns down Kings, will play in Turkey

Tennessee's Wayne Chism celebrates after a basket during the game against San Diego State at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, R.I. during Round 1 of the NCAA Basketball Championship Thursday, Mar. 18, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Former Tennessee forward Wayne Chism will decline the Sacramento Kings invitation to fall training camp and sign with a pro team in Turkey.

Jared Karnes, a local attorney who represents Chism, said the situation with the Kings has changed since Chism’s successful summer league run with the team.

“The Kings signed veteran NBA swingman Antoine Wright and Pooh Jeter (on Friday),” Karnes said. “Before those signings, Wayne was strongly considering taking advantage of the Kings’ open roster spots.”

Chism’s six-figure deal with Antalya of the Turkish Basketball League is guaranteed.

The Kings had offered Chism some money to compete in their training camp, but not a significant amount and a roster spot was not guaranteed.

Chism will leave for Turkey in mid-August.

“He is expected to make an immediate impact,” Karnes said “The NBA is still a goal.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dfreeman writes:

good for you Wayne! Knock em dead and show them the player we as Vol fans grew to love watching!! I hope the best for you in the future!! Hopefully we'll hear about you playing in the NBA!

mrvol2u writes:

Good Luck, Chiz! Don't drink any of that Raki.

dfreeman writes:

I was looking for the "like" button but realized this wasn't crackbook!!! LOL

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Its all about the $. Guaranteed six-figure a year income. We all would probably take that if the future was uncertain.

jclowers writes:

The Turkey league is pretty strong. I'd say he will try again next year in the summer league to see if he gets a better roster spot. If he can go over to Turkey and become more of a consistent scorer and work on his dribble he will be in the NBA. He can follow C.J. Watson's path.

Jediphysics writes:

I suspected that's what he'd do. Good on you, Wayne! You'll play more minutes, make more money, and you'll always know the Kings wanted more. After a year or two in Turkey, so will other NBA teams.

BleedsOrangeinMO writes:

I wonder if he will be on the same team as Chris Lofton? Or did Chris move to another league in Europe?

manoffewwords writes:

gbo

BillyVol writes:

Well Done

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to BleedsOrangeinMO:

Lofton only played one season in Turkey. He plays in the premiere Spanish league now. More conceivably, he may play with or against Tyler Smith if he goes to Turkey again.

oskie_score writes:

Took the guaranteed $$, good for WC...family security comes first.

WC will benefit from the experience playing overseas.

Good luck Wayne!

SoddyVol writes:

Wayne, Good choice for now! Still expect to see you in NBA in the future.

allvol32 writes:

Wayne Chism will always be one of my favorite Vols of all time. I think it's great that he is UT's winningest basketball player. All the best to you Wayne!

HtownVol writes:

Anyone have Weezy's numbers from the summer league?

I honestly that Maze (really) could run the point for the assumed champs (heat). Maze is very capable of playing in the NBA. He can shoot very well, great ball control I guess his vise would be his defense. Sometimes I think that it is just the fact that these guys played for UT and NBA scouts do not see UT as a developmental school.

At least my Chicago Bulls just gave C.J Watson a 10 MILLION dollar deal! C.J will do great with D Rose ahead of him and will actually be playing te 2 guard a lot along side of Rose.