No word on status of Brown

Tennessee running back Bryce Brown (11) runs the ball during the game against South Carolina at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Oct. 31, 2009. Brown ran for 60 yards during the game.

Photo by Adam Brimer

There were no smoke signals over the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex.

Apparently the future of Bryce Brown still hasn't been decided.

Tennessee officials were tight-lipped about a meeting that was reportedly planned for Monday between the former No. 1 recruit in the country and coach Derek Dooley, and no announcement about whether Brown has asked for his release or the chance to return to the Vols has been made. According to one source with knowledge of the situation, the two had not met by early Monday evening, likely pushing the drama back yet another day.

Brown has been in town since late last week, and after missing him on the way out of town for SEC Media Days, Dooley indicated that he would sit down with the running back at some point before he went back home to Kansas. As he has done repeatedly since Brown abruptly left the team before spring practice, Dooley also made clear he has no expectation the sophomore will attempt to come back to UT.

"I feel the same way I felt since the day he left, that he's not a part of our team," Dooley said Friday. "The only reason this is dragging is he hasn't ever told me he wanted a release to a certain school, and he's never told me he wants to come back.

"At some point he's going to have to ask for a release, which I expect will be soon."

A request for a release to go closer to home and play at Kansas State has long been the assumed outcome for Brown. But the wait for official word from inside the offices at UT will go on for another day.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Smooth_as_Eggs writes:

Why even publish this? This is the definition of non-news...

BleedsOrangeinMO writes:

I love the way KNS provides the same information just with a different title. Repeatedly redundant.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Well, I guess this topic is better than nothing during the summer doldrums. The sooner he is released, the better due to the distraction this could become if it draws out much longer. I really don't think it will hurt the UT offense if he leaves.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

Dear Bryce,

Do you really want to spend the rest of your college career in Manhattan, KS? Come on back to UT, where you will have a chance to compete in the best conference in the country. I'm sure that the temptation to go back to Kansas where everything is familiar (except National Championships) is appealing, but if you come to Tennessee, and TRULY dedicate yourself, you will have many more options at the NFL level.

Aside from that, you will have 100,000 plus, maniacal fans supporting you as they will believe you have made the right decision. Your teammates have already given you the Green Light, so do the right thing and get your butt back to Knoxville.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

I don't care anymore. Even if he does come back, I'd want it to be Tauren Poole's job to lose, and to Oku at that.

FWBVol writes:

This is purely speculation on my part, but the longer this drags on, the more likely it would seem that Brown will stay at UT.

If he was planning on transferring he needs to get a release from CDD and then there is the matter of getting transcripts sent and approved by the new school. Yes, they do speed things up for high profile athletes, but there are a lot of details that need to be worked out for Brown to leave UT.

If he was sure he wanted to go to Kansas State, or any other school for that matter, why Brown been dragging his feet for all these months?

I could be completely wrong, and probably am, but that's just a guess on my part.

I have no problem with Brown returning if his teammates accept him. They know Bryce better than fans posting on this site and if they don't believe he will be a poison to the team then that's enough for me.

We should be fine at running back with or without Brown. But we will be better with him on the depth chart.

khelton657 writes:

The young man has no heart, can't stand the pressures that allhis teammates are also experiencing. Anyone this indecisive is not committed.

RoadTrip writes:

If BB comes back I would have him 4th behind Poole, Oku and Williams - barely ahead of true freshman Neal. Personally I am hoping Williams is back to his pre-injury form because he was one impressive RB.

But enough KNS - leave this alone until you have something new.

beachvol1 writes:

Wish Bryce were reading this, as he has not done his teammates right, I mean, leaving them hanging like this...either he wants to be a Vol or he doesn't...simple...why drag it out, but of course, he did do the same thing before he committed to the Vols, boy, do they need to re-word commit, don't they....why the drama, if it's in your heart to come back, just swallow your pride and come on back...otherwise, do what you have to do...no problem...wish you well

arvolfan writes:

I agree with FWBVol.

I also feel sorry for the kid. He was just another Vol that was screwed by the Boy Wonder. Imagine being the #1 running back, listening to all those recruiting pitches, and then being screwed over by the program you picked.

The fact he has not tranferred already has made it just about impossible for him to play the first half of the season at ANY respectable program. NO summer camp. ANYWHERE.

Yeah, he hasn't handled the change well. But who has? We got screwed, and we're going to be picking up the pieces for years.

Glad CDD is making the moves he is. Hope Bryce stays with us.

rootin4volz writes:

in response to arvolfan:

I agree with FWBVol.

Glad CDD is making the moves he is. Hope Bryce stays with us.

Hang on there one second, arvolfan. The program he picked didn't screw him over...Coach "I'm now screwing over all of Southern California" screwed him over. Just sayin'.

duke.moses#299699 writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

Though I don't disagree & I do wish he & DD come to an agreement soon it is what it is at this point. But in the words of David Oku last year, BB is bigger, stronger and faster than I am which tells you what kind of talent he is & we need! We need every player we can get or keep at this point & everyone on the team is saying they would welcome him back! So come on back BB & have a great career at UT & forget LK!! GBO

arvolfan writes:

in response to rootin4volz:

as vol fans, you and I know that, but that 18 year old kid listened as Lame blew smoke where it don't belong -- it would be awful hard to separate the program from the snake oil salesman.

Only one of the coaches that recruited him to TN is still there-- Thompson. Almost all the others are wearing ketchup and mustard. It would be kinda hard not to get disgusted--The fan base was disgusted enough to burn mattresses.

We should go easy on the kid no matter what he decides to do-- this is not what he thought he was getting into.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Seriously, I haven't seen this much coverage about someones whereabouts since the "Where's Tiger Woods" story after he crashed his SUV.

Voluvr writes:

Bryce you don't need a coach that will tell you anything, you need a coach that will tell you what you need to hear.
Coach, thank you for not kissing tail.
Bryce, grow up and play with the big boys.

LibertyVolance writes:

Incredibly silly! Who Brown? John Brown? Boolah Brown? This isn't a topic of interest.

mercuryvol writes:

in response to LibertyVolance:

Great screen name,LV.Wonder how many here know the origin.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to BleedsOrangeinMO:

KNS provides this same information because it is the only information they have.When they know something different,they will report it.

Why not try to find ways to improve your life and stop worrying about the KNS? They are not begging you and others to read their reports.If you are not satisfied with the way they do things,buy the paper and print what makes you happy.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

But enough KNS - leave this alone until you have something new.

If the KNS had left this alone after reporting there was a meeting today between Brown and Dooley,You would have gone off on KNS about why they didn't report the results of that meeting.Some of you need to grow up and shut up.

RespectTradition writes:

Does anyone care? Really?

This boy has already failed the most important test any UT athlete has: I will give my all for Tennessee today. He has NOT given his all.

Failing is acceptable, even though it is undesirable, if you give it your best. Win or lose, it doesn't matter if you don't give your all. That is what sports are about. That is what being a Volunteer is about.

Tennessee is known as the "Volunteer State" for the disproportionately large number of Tennesseans who volunteered for duty in the American Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Texas Revolution (most notably the Battle of the Alamo) and especially the Mexican-American War, as well as an overwhelming number of citizens who volunteered for both sides of the Civil War. - Wikipedia

Remember, being worthy of being a Volunteer is not athletic ability. It is our heritage. It is part of who we are. It is one of the defining characteristics of our state.

Mr. Brown is no Volunteer, whether he comes back to play football or not.

Go Vols!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to grvol:

You are blowing smoke and you know it.

runninbroke writes:

Easy fellas! Who are we to decide?!! Obviously this kid has had issues with a tough transition. If he decides to come back AND IF his teammates accept him back, then that is fine by me. Of course he will have to work to climb the depth chart but relax people, this is still a young kid we are talking about!!! Again, if his teammates want him back, then I do too!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to mercuryvol:

Great screen name,LV.Wonder how many here know the origin.

Just John W. and the old ones.

nola_vol writes:

in response to Smooth_as_Eggs:

Why even publish this? This is the definition of non-news...

Now let's be fair. We knew the meeting was scheduled for Monday evening. I'd checked here several times tonight looking for some word on the outcome of it.

Finding out that the meeting did not happen IS news, and tells me all there is to know about something I wanted to know.

If they hadn't posted this article, we'd all be whining about "why isn't KNS covering their own story?"

copia69296 writes:

Does anyone really think he was the best Freshman running back in the country last year? I did not see any sign of a superstar. Give Brown all the stars you want, there are better RB's with much bigger hearts.

PMC2726 writes:

2-a-days start August 4. As long as BB is back before then (and has not gone on the Little Debbie train since last season), I see no reason why he can't get up to speed a few games into the season. I also think it would go a long way in the minds of his teammates if he comes and participates in the toughest part of the summer.

Remember: as much as we'd like to think it's not true, WE HAVE A LACK OF TALENT ON THIS TEAM. BB has talent, a lot of it, and can make up a lot of time on some of these other guys.

A lot of people on here appear to be pretty cavalier about BB not coming back to UT. While I agree that we will be fine at RB without BB, there is no denying that he would be a GREAT asset for this team offensively, and we can use all the help we can get. Why wouldn't UT want BB, Oku, Williams, and Poole on the field at the same time?!?!?! The only way Dooley is successful this year is by figuring out how to get all of it's talent on the field at the same time...and we need as much talent as we can get.

I agree with the comments that suggest the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that BB stays at UT. As things unfold, it also is starting to make sense for him to stay -- why wouldn't he want to play in the SEC and be coached by DD, who's dad coached arguably the best RB ever? Why would he want to go to USC now that they are under sanctions? K. State is scary proposition, especially considering that the Big 12 may be as strong as Conference USA by the time realignment (part 2) happens this coming off season.

Folks need to take a deep breath over BB. This kid comes from a GOOD family -- they are not trying to upset UT fans....all they want is the best for their child. Even if the Browns are perhaps misguided in the way they are going about this, anyone else on this post would do the same for their child if they thought it was in their child's best interest.

After having been smacked in the face by Lane Kiffin and his crew, perhaps the Browns now understand that playing for a respectable person like Dooley, even if not as flashy, may pay more dividends in the end for BB, personally and professionally.

We will be fine without BB, but I sure would like to have him back and fully committed. It will make a difference in the fall.

AncientVol writes:

Has there ever been so much talk about a guy who is no longer on the team and who droppped out with no explanation to his mates? I am disappointed in the coaches for letting the Brown case drag on. The guy appears to be a head case, and I hope he does not come back. It's not fair to the other guys who did show up and compete for the starting running back position. I predict Brown will never be a starting RB at UT or at any school.

TKO writes:

I would take another year of Hardesty over three of BB.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Folks need to see the news hype is about the Number 1 recruit in the country last year having problems. We are exposed to it because we got him. I like what I saw last year. He can be a great power back and have a big pay day in the NFL. At least he's not fighting at 2am in morning in some dive.

chl1958 writes:

Let him come back and play defense to replace the departed Myles. With his talent he could become one heck of a defensive back!

VOLinATL writes:

I think a simple line of :"No news on Bryce Brown" would've sufficed. As Wham says "Wake Me Up, Before you Go-Go".

VolByChoice writes:

KNS had to say something or appear to have its head in the sand. Message boards like Vol Nation burned all afternoon with rumors that Brown had returned to the fold. At 4:30 Jimmy Hyams reported he had spoken to Brown who said no decision would be made until today after talking to DD, that he would leave town shortly thereafter (could be forever, could be to arrange a move back to Knox) that he had been working out, lost 10 pounds, felt faster, etc.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I think your right; If he had plans for KSU the wildcats would have insisted on a quicker commitment..I get the feeling the non commitment to UT was just laziness on brown's part..I think he didn't want the hard work that goes along with UT's off season workouts..He has no gripe because he got plenty of playing time as a freshman and probably would be the #1 back during the spring

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Dunno.

VolFanNC writes:

Why is this still a story?...I guess nothing going on right now.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

He say's to tell you to troll off.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Why isn't the KNS interviewing Lacey?

gnm53108 writes:

in response to VolByChoice:

Thanks choice.

BIGEJ writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Just John W. and the old ones.

Ransom killed Liberty VAlance and Liberty was a thug. Jimmy S. played Ransom, John Wayne, Tom and Lee Marvin Liberty. It was a lucky shot.

"Nothing's too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance."

basevol writes:

in response to BleedsOrangeinMO:

The title clearly said what the article was going to say. If you did not want to read it, then you shouldn't. If KNS is so bad, go to another site and stop your whining. I realize you are paying so much for this service so I can understand why you are upset.

dlobh writes:

in response to VolByChoice:

His staying makes the most sense. Why else would he be in town since last week? Hyams says he's been working out, that no decision will be made until he talks to Dooley. So it's up to Dooley for the terms of his rejoining the team. As has been documented, he needs to work his butt off to prove himself to his teammates, but if he wants to be here, let him. It can't hurt to have Poole, Oku, Williams, and Brown as our running backs.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

in response to myfuzzyvolz:

And Kevin Bacon stared in "Animal House" with John Belushi! "Thank you sir, may I have another!"

AlcoVOLic writes:

in response to myfuzzyvolz:

This absolutely needs to be a featured comment on GVX frontpage!

HollySpringsVOL writes:

in response to khelton657:

Give am a break. I think this has little to do with work ethic. You have no idea what is in this boy's heart. That is right, Bryce is still just a boy, with a lot of potential and talent but he is still growing emotionally and maturing. He has had people whispering in his ear his whole life telling him that he is great, it is going to be easy street for him, an NFL millionaire he will become, etc... Now on the cusp of becoming a man he is having to make serious life decisions in the midst of personal and emotional turmoil, of which he is probably not well unprepared for because he has never had to make those types of big decisions his entire life with so many negative dynamics in play. That is hard for adults to do let alone a 19 year old kid. Making good decisions is a learned trait through trial an error and hopefully the errors are small ones that are learning points. Just look at the players who have ended up in jail recently, they obviously did not learn how to make good decisions and they are paying for it now.

Give Bryce the opportunity to mature and figure out what is best for him. If he is a Vol, that is great, i will love rooting for him and watching him play. If not, I hope nothing for the best for this young man and I hope to see him play on Sundays.

gnm53108 writes:

Although I'm interested in the Brown situation...I just dont know how I feel.

If he wants to be Vol,and the team will take em back,I'm with em.If he decides he wants to go somewhere else,I'm ok with that too.

Just aint leanin one way or the other.

Vol86 writes:

What ever it is it is. He has not been in trouble and seem to do his job off the field. If he stays fine if not than wish the kid good luck.

Derelict_My_Vols_Cap_i_tan writes:

This feels like the refs are reviewing if a player had his foot on the three point line when he took a shot. Everyone knows that the longer they sit there and look at the moniters, the more likely it is that they won't overturn the call because there is not indisputable evidence. It just feels like the longer this takes, the more likely it is that he will stay here.

What are the resonable scenarios of why this has taken so long anyways?

I'll take a liter of Cola...

DaddyVol writes:

What if the meeting between CDD and Bryce reveals that Kiffie & Orgee promised him a car or other financial incentives aka Reggie Bush-esque?

Thats how they operated at USC.

Maybe he's holding out for his payoff???

Ironcity writes:

I guess we will know today for sure and we can all stop wasting our time commenting.

newtonrail writes:

Why is no story on here about Harry Galbreath passing?