Bryce Brown leaves town without talking to Coach Dooley

Running back Bryce Brown has left the University of Tennessee without leaving any closure behind.

“Bryce left town without a face-to-face request (with UT football coach Derek Dooley) for a transfer,” a school official told the News Sentinel on Tuesday evening. “There’s still no news on where he wants to go.”

There has been considerable speculation that the consensus high school All-American running back from Wichita would transfer to Kansas State, where his older brother is now enrolled.

Brown, who was the No. 1 attraction in former UT coach Lane Kiffin’s 2009 recruiting class, didn’t take part in spring practice following Kiffin’s departure for the head-coaching job at Southern California and wasn’t expected to rejoin the team. But there was just enough doubt to make for an ongoing story.

The story continued Tuesday. Dooley addressed it at a local Rotary Club luncheon.

“I said (earlier) that I was open to Bryce coming back on the condition that he wanted to unpack his bags and put his heart into this program,” Dooley said. “I fully expect Bryce not to be on our team.

“The reason it has continued on is because Bryce has not come to me, looked me in the eye and said I want a release to so-and-so school. At some point, that’s got to happen.”

It still hasn’t happened.

“Everybody is worried about (Brown’s status) except me,” Dooley told the Rotarians. “I view him as not on our team.”

Like his departure, Brown’s arrival at UT was accompanied by controversy — thanks, in part, to his relationship with Brian Butler, who identified himself as Brown’s manager and trainer and charged for updates on Brown’s recruiting on a web site. Their relationship was the target of an NCAA investigation to determine whether Brown had jeopardized his amateur status.

Rivals.com ranked Brown as the No. 1 player in the country after he rushed for 1,872 yards and scored 30 touchdowns as a senior at Wichita East High School. He committed to Miami, where his brother, Arthur, was on a football scholarship, but later changed his mind.

UT wasn’t on Brown’s radar until Kiffin replaced Phillip Fulmer as head coach. Even then, the Vols were a long shot.

But in mid-March 2009, more than a month after signing date, Brown announced he would sign with UT.

After joining the Vols amidst much fanfare, Brown suffered a mild concussion and hip injury during preseason practice last year. But an outstanding performance in UT’s final scrimmage provided compelling evidence that he would be a major factor in the offense.

Instead, Brown had to settle for a backup role behind senior Montario Hardesty, who rushed for 1,345 yards. Brown finished his freshman season with 460 yards rushing and 10 pass receptions for 137 yards.

John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VOLinNYC writes:

Wow. Brown couldn't even be man enough to sit with the coach. Even for a quick 5 minutes.

I don't want to blame the kid completely, but this was handled sooo wrong, mostly by his "reps". We gave Brown a chance twice: last year and this year with a new coach.

Good luck, kid.

dcvolfan98 writes:

BB, either you are with us or you are against us. Man up and come back (and we will be on your side) or just go away. Stop this nonsense please!!

tnsportsman writes:

DAMN!

VOLinNYC writes:

Also, just glad this thing is over. Now we can move to upcoming fall practice! And that other bar incident!

MidTennVol writes:

Bryce who?

westknoxvol24 writes:

After all of this, i would not ever release him.

fshnhol writes:

in response to westknoxvol24:

After all of this, i would not ever release him.

I am hearing he sent Dooley a text message and said he wasnt returning to Tennessee? Is this true anyone?

westennvol writes:

This is so ridiculous. BB needs to grow up fast. This is Lame Kitten stuff, so tiring. I would give him one week to make up his mind, if he didn't, i would release him to anyone but USC or any SEC school.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to westknoxvol24:

After all of this, i would not ever release him.

Totally agree. This kid has disrespected his school, the football program, his teammates, and now his coach.

Adios and have fun sitting out a year.

westknoxvol24 writes:

in response to fshnhol:

John Adams is reporting this

gtownvol writes:

It's time to move on and get this team ready for UT Football. Too bad BB has all of these outside folks trying to tell him what to do with his future. I see another budding Mitch Mustain. While we will miss BB's potential, we still have a group of running backs that are willing to give their all as Volunteers. Thank you, gentlemen. GBO!!

fshnhol writes:

in response to westknoxvol24:

John Adams is reporting this

Man that is chicken chit! I'm sorry....I have lost all respect of this guy if it is true.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Sad but true. I wanted to give Bryce the benefit of the doubt but now he has shown his true character.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to fshnhol:

TLepage writes:

this kid is a punk.... He doesn't deserve a release.... The way he handled his recruitment and this most recent situation shows me, that he is an ego-maniac and expects people to drool all over him.... Furthermore, from what i saw last year he isn't even that good.... All he is doing right now is distracting our team by dragging this on... I know people are going to say take it easy on him, he is a young kid... I don't really care, when i was 19/20 years old I knew right from wrong and how to treat people with respect... Bryce doesn't have a clue... He needs to be held accountable for his actions... I hope he flops wherever he ends up, and i hope Dooley tells him to go away if he decides he wants to come back to UT.... Again, he is a distraction and a potential cancer in the locker room... He is the last thing this team needs right now....

ViperOrange writes:

Brendan Downs has committed to UT.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

other reports said he was looking for an apartment and was seen at the DR Office where he would be for his phyiscal to play for UT..The only doc this one needs is Witch Doctor.

miatatom writes:

Is anyone surprised by the behavior of BB? Hopefully not. After all, he was recruited by the lame kitten himself.

NoSirRee writes:

What's this guy's plan? Does he even have one? I mean, even if his motives are entirely selfish he HAS to get a release at some point. Why leave town without it? I just don't get it. Doesn't he want some closure?

volfanwestcoast writes:

What a coward to skip town with only a text message. A huge disappointment on many levels.. he never showed any promise on the field or off. Another showboat drifting off to sea.

cjones72 writes:

in response to FreeTDTN:

I agree with you if it was me i would make him ride the wood for the next 3 years .

orangecountyvols writes:

Vol friends,

The expression 3 times is the charm.

First the surfer dude skipping out, and now B Brown.
So, who turns tail and runs next?

Good grief. From what we are seeing and hearing, do we need people like this? I apologize if I'm too quick to judge the issue, but what in the world is going on?

Maybe this is B B's way of saying "I'm gone" and just assumes that's all there is to it. Not facing coach Dooley one way or the other is pretty tacky.

So, we just move on and he seems to be lost in the wilderness, so to speak. Without that release, Brown appears to be disillusioned.

Actually 4 charms..........forgot about Douglas.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to SECFB:

oskie_score writes:

Leaving town w/out first mtg w/ CDD to finalize this matter...poor judgment and irresponsible.

Like many of you and others of the Vol Nation I am disappointed in BB.

At first I chose to give BB the b-o-d but after this latest development I too, think it is in the best interest of all parties that BB and the University of Tennessee part ways.

Good luck to you BB.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Smokey,

I have already requested this idiot's removal.........
next best though is to ban her.

We want to have a decent site and don't need these kids like the soon to be banned SECFB.

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to dcvolfan98:

Well said!! Your post sums it up.

jrobi124 writes:

If I was CDD I would not release him because CDD has told him what he has to do to get a release until he does that, than Foff

FWBVol writes:

Bryce Brown would have been treated like royalty at Tennessee. I think most of us were willing to welcome him back to the fold and pull for him like we do our other Vols.

For his own sake I hope BB grows up one day, but as it is, I don't see that happening as long as he keeps getting bad advice from his so-called handlers.

99gator writes:

i said to avoid this kid at the time he was recruited (if anyone recalls).

kid would've turned pro coming out of high school if he could.

he had a handler/quasi agent during his recruitment.

just didn't think this would end well. tennessee is better off without him. let those who want to put in the work and not have their rear end kissed rebuild the program.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Smokey,

I have already requested this idiot's removal.........
next best though is to ban her.

Thanks OC VOLS. On topic: What exactly does it mean he left town? Did he leave for good? Is this the day in which he can leave for good? Or did he just temporarely leave to keep from having to meet with CDD? Either way I don't think there is no way he will play here and if reports are true as interpretated I'm glad he wont be a part of the our program. Especially after all the chances UT has given him. GBO!!!!

TLepage writes:

in response to ViperOrange:

Brendan Downs has committed to UT.

where did you see/hear this???? Do you have a link for it????

bornonamoutaintop writes:

With the way Goodell handles business does he think he will end up like Hardesty or Clarrett???????????

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to TLepage:

where did you see/hear this???? Do you have a link for it????

voloffaith writes:

in response to SECFB:

SUGGEST REMOVAL OFF TOPIC Article is about Bryce Brown not Wizard of Oz. I know your cutesy play on Kansas,but againg by user agreement you are off topic ADIOS amigo(MAYBE)

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vol friends,

The expression 3 times is the charm.

First the surfer dude skipping out, and now B Brown.
So, who turns tail and runs next?

Actually 4 charms..........forgot about Douglas.

Does Nick Lamaison qualify for this honor??

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to 99gator:

i said to avoid this kid at the time he was recruited (if anyone recalls).

kid would've turned pro coming out of high school if he could.

he had a handler/quasi agent during his recruitment.

Very true. You and many others called this one.

c9bcc writes:

Don't release him.

walt23tn writes:

Release the kid....who cares? Dooley didn't recruit him, he has no intent on being here, and he's a kid. I get so tired of hearing people say I wouldn't release the kid. If he don't want to be here, why do you want him? If he wants to be released by e-mail, text, fax, letter, teleconference, a passed note, a billboard, or whatever, why should UT look like A**es and refuse? The university looks worse than a kid for refusing to let somebody go. The way Brown has handled it has been poor to say the least. To me, that means all the more reason to release him and let both parties move on. It's the classy move even if everybody wants to whine about it.

TLepage writes:

that link just provides yahoo search results for him... didn't see anything saying that he is committed to UT.... do you have anything else????

GreerVol22 writes:

Bentsen to Quayle..."Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy"

Dooley to BB......."Son, you're no Herschel Walker"

Bloodrunzorange writes:

Looks like he learned something from kitten. Too Many concussions I guess.... GBO!

tree_em_smokey writes:

Sorry TLepage I read this wrong. Thought it said he was already a vol.

scott_m99 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

yep...kinda like the blind leading the blind isn't it. "Handler"...is that what we call 'em? HA!

khelton657 writes:

The young man is a head case..weak..we don't need to depend on someone who is sop undependable....Ricky Williams-type head case..

TLepage writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Sorry TLepage I read this wrong. Thought it said he was already a vol.

I thing Downs will be a Vol and i think its coming soon... but i have looked all over the internet and haven't seen anything saying that its official.... just wondering about after i saw Orange Viper's post....

FlaVol2 writes:

Forget about BB. We do not need anymore primadonnas.

mercuryvol writes:

"what a long strange trip it's been..."

tennesseebee writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

With all due respect, I think you are missing the point, my man. The door was open for BB's return. If the Dooley system is not for him, he needs to say so and move on. I think most Vol fans would have wished him the best of luck. Things have changed since he committed to UT and he, as well as others, have the right to transfer, but most have the grapes to say so. He should man-up, instead of leaving the team, coaches and fans in the lurch.

TelfordVol writes:

in response to TLepage:

where did you see/hear this???? Do you have a link for it????

I saw it on volnation.com in the recruiting forum