Former Vol Harry Galbreath, 45, dies

Former Tennessee footballl standout Harry Galbreath, 45, has died, the University of Tennessee sports information office confirmed.

Galbreath played guard (1984-87) and was named the Jacobs Award winner as the SEC’s best blocker in 1987. He played nine seasons in the NFL: Miami (1988-92), Green Bay (1993-95) and New York Jets (1996). He was named to the NFL’s All-Rookie team in 1988.

The cause of death was not disclosed.

More coming on GVX and in Wednesday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

kyvol98 writes:

Horrible news.

Ironcity writes:

One of my favorite O lineman. He was a huge man that did a fantastic job. My heart goes out to his family.

AJVol writes:

Great Vol.One of my favorite lineman of all time. My prayers are w/ the family and all Vol Nation

Bigger_Al writes:

God Bless Harry G!

volmandan writes:

A great lineman and a great VOL, all of the Vol nation is at a loss

DaddyVol writes:

Wasn't he from Dyersburg?

God bless his family.

gnm53108 writes:

RIP Harry.

FWBVol writes:

I hate to hear this. In my few dealings with Harry while I worked in Sports Information, he was always gracious.

I believe he was recently an assistant strength and conditioning coach at UT who got caught in all the coaching changes.

He was a great Vol lineman that will be missed.

gatavol writes:

He was From Clarksville and we will miss him deeply. The Smile was bigger than the Man.

JohnnyU writes:

Terrible loss for the UT family. Isn't he the lineman for whom the term "pancake block" was first used, at least at UT?

RoadTrip writes:

One of the greats. Will be missed by the Vol nation everywhere. Prayers go out to the family and friends.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

I met Harry a couple of years ago in Knoxville. Very nice man, he let me try on his Packers Super Bowl Ring. Needless to say it fit over 2 of my fingers. RIP big fella.

LiveFaith writes:

Condolences to the family. Thanks for the memories Mr. Galbreath. What a great player for UT.

He was the first OL that I ever saw as "offensive" in nature. I always thot of OL as "blockers / protectors" until I watched him play. I rewound a VHS 7 or 8 times of an 86 or 87 Auburn game where he just attack dogged an AU DE and flatted him to the ground. Not often have I watched replays of OL.

bobbarbilly writes:

The Vol Nation has lost one of the great ones. We offer prayers for the family.

volguy#211935 writes:

RIP, Harry. So sad to hear.

skm writes:

this is so terrible. far too young. some of these big guys really have issues with sleep apnea. i wonder if this is another case. rest in peace mr. galbreath.

punkin writes:

Seemed like a gentle giant except on the field. One of my favorites. RIP

crimsonviper writes:

Another warrior gone..RIP

BigBadVol writes:

Met Harry while at UT. One of the kindest guys you would ever meet. His blood ran orange. He was probably the best run blocking OL TN has ever had on its roster. A great Vol that will be truly missed.

utclassof1992 writes:

in response to LiveFaith:

I remember that play. He tried to take Aundray Bruce's soul on that play. And Aundray was an All-American DE, and no slouch either. Galbreath believed in taking the punishment to anyone in his way. He did not wait for contact. May he rest in peace!

VOLliven2it writes:

Deeply saddened on many levels for this loss. He was young really. We can only hope some of our present OL will watch some of Harry's highlight film. I am so glad he did get a Super Bowl Ring in his NFL endeavors. Blessings on all his family and friends we know will miss him.
No further strength and conditioning necessary big guy. Thanks for blessing the Vol Nation.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

My prayers go out to his family and friends. A loss for the entire Vol Nation.

bearbull95#206250 writes:

I don't how many times on a Saturday afternoon while listening to John Ward call the play-by-play that I heard him mention Harry opening a hole for Chuck Webb or Reggie Cobb, but it was a lot. Thank you for the memories, Harry Galbreath and God bless. You were cut from the cloth of the fabric that makes the tradition so strong.

NeylandWest writes:

I met him after the '86 Sugar Bowl and I must say, I've never met a kinder/gentler giant than him. We were at a McDonald's and he was surprised that someone my age could recognize him.

When we bleed orange, we can usually recognize our own kind. He will be greatly missed. What a great Vol!

RIP, sir.

orangecountyvols writes:

Very sad news. So young...........we just never know
how long we are here. And, echoing all your previous remarks, what a fine person, a great Tennessee player, and he will be truly missed.

TheBanker writes:

Harry Love is what his friends and fraternity brothers called him. He was my friend. My heart is heavy right now.
He was a great representative of the Volnation. I will be celebrating his life.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

45?? Wow.

InertGas writes:

What a great player. This is sad news.

BigCityVol writes:

Had he been sick?

Tennacious writes:

Godspeed Harry...

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

I believe Fulmer had him come talk to the players in 2006 after that losing season and he hung around spring practices.

This sucks. We have lost WAY too many players in the last year....

volsnationalchamps writes:

Just watched the Miami Sugar Bowl game this past weekend as I always do before the season, this year watched it with my son for the first time and of course he was a starter and had big game as did all the Vols that day. Told son he was one of our best we've had on the OL. Sad news to see this. God bless him and his family. We have truly lost a great one today.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

He was to the OL in the late 80's what Reggie White was to the DL in the early 80's.

Neyland and company, another great one is coming your way, be singing Rocky Top when he arrives!

bnhunt#599614 writes:

Harry was a Clarksville High graduate, which is also my alma mater, and he is a legend there. What a great football player and even more importantly, a good man.

86vol writes:

If I recall correctly the pre-season posters for Harry's senior season featured him and the slogan "Moving the Markers". Maybe it was something the athletic department was sending out touting him for All America honors. He was part of a great cycle of Tennessee linemen; Tim Irwin, Bruce Wilkerson, Harry, Raleigh McKenzie, Antone Davis. A great era for linemen. Too many former linemen have left us before their time. I wonder if any study has been done on the issue?

jman33163 writes:

Wow! Far too young to lose a great one!

RIP Harry

jandjhome#228397 writes:

HE WAS A GREAT LINEMAN FOR US.

chrisw2967 writes:

This is a sad day for the vol program ,gone too soon.my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

hootervillevol writes:

Great offensive lineman. Even better man. Great smile. Great intensity. Prayers for his family. Prayers for his Vol family as well.

txsvol#372416 writes:

in response to 86vol:

While not a scientific study, several sites point to obesity, hypertension, diabetes,concussions, drug abuse, homicide, suicide, etc. As examples, check out http://offwing.com/2006/01/nfl-player... and httpL//blogspot.com/2007/04/perfect-storm.html.

BTW, Galbreath was remembered for his pancakes, and I'm not sure whether the phrase was applied only to his prodigious blocking. R.I.P. SAVol

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Sad story.

Condolences to the family.

What a blocking guard..

bUTchVFL writes:

Harry epitomized "Vol for life". The younger vols should look at how he lived his life to pattern their own. Thoughts and prayers with the family. GBO!

give_him_6 writes:

Prayers to his family and to you big fella. One of the true greats on the OL. RIP...

beartn#223846 writes:

<<WHAT? How did this happen to a 45 year old? He was one of the alltime great OL in Volunteer history.>>

I have no idea what happened. Unfortunately, the life expectancy of former NFL players is significantly less than average. The sport takes a huge toll on the players.

gatavol writes:

in response to bnhunt#599614:

DITO

blewissmith writes:

The Miami Dolphins website is reporting it as an apparent heart ailment. He was one of the best!!

VolGrad writes:

Seems to be a rash of former Vols dying, both old and young. I remember Harry Galbreath. Way too young to go. He was the classic representative of the Big Orange. It is another sad day on The Hill.

smokies_old_soul writes:

i was just watching the "sugar vols" dvd last week and got a kick out of Mr. Galbreath slapping fives with his offensive line teammates when the Vols would knock open yet another hole in the miami line for our running backs.

God Bless and God Speed.

rahmo writes:

i hope all of you remember how humble and just plain nice this guy was. he will be missed not only as a former vol, but, as a great person.

derwindee writes:

Harry has the heart of a champion.

Thanks for representing Clarksville Tennessee.

(CHS)

"always a Wildcat", thanks for the memories Harry

You will be missed

May you rest in peace...

_Derwin