Coleman likes to hear 'Rocky Top'

Cornerback commits to Vols

Justin Coleman

Photo by Rivals.com

Justin Coleman

BRUNSWICK, Ga. - Justin Coleman wasn't sure about where he wanted to play college football until Wednesday morning.

The senior-to-be at Brunswick (Ga.) High School knew he was going to be a Tennessee Volunteer or a Kentucky Wildcat; but though he was leaning toward Tennessee in recent days, he didn't make his commitment to the Vols official until his phone call to the school before noon on Wednesday.

"Basically, it was even with Kentucky," he said. "But what made (Tennessee) stand out were the environment and the tradition they have up there. I thought they had what I wanted and needed."

Oh, and there was one more thing that sold him on Tennessee.

"I like the 'Rocky Top' song," Coleman added.

A 5-foot-11, 175-pound cornerback, Coleman made his commitment to the Vols public Wednesday at an afternoon news conference at his high school.

His commitment is non-binding, but Coleman, a three-star recruit according to both Rivals and Scout, said he plans to graduate early from Brunswick in January and enroll at Tennessee in time for the second semester and go through spring practice with the Vols.

He can't officially sign a letter-of-intent with Tennessee until February, but Coleman wanted to decide on his college before beginning his senior season with the Pirates, who compete in Georgia's second-largest classification and have won back-to-back region championships in their first two seasons under head coach Victor Floyd.

"It's a big deal," Coleman said of committing early. "It's going to take a lot of stress off of me for my senior season, and I feel like I can focus on helping my team a lot more."

Floyd said he encourages players to commit before their final prep season if they can.

"I tell kids to take summer visits and take a look at everything because in the fall there's not enough time to do that plus concentrate on your academics, football and everything in recruiting," Floyd said. "It can be distracting, and it's better to get the process over with."

Coleman, who runs a 4.4-second 40-yard dash and finished second in the state in the 300-meter hurdles and fifth in the 110 hurdles this past spring, had as many as 16 official scholarship offers from schools. He narrowed his choices down to Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, South Florida and Louisville before deciding between the Vols and Wildcats.

Tennessee didn't start recruiting Coleman until Derek Dooley took over the program in January after Lane Kiffin left Knoxville to become head coach at the University of Southern California.

"I know Coach Dooley has had a successful past, and I feel like he's going to come in there and turn them around and push everyone to be the people they are supposed to be," Coleman said.

Floyd said Coleman was intrigued by the fact that he might get the opportunity to play right away at Tennessee.

"I just think he has all the tools," Floyd said. "He's athletic. He can run and jump, but probably the biggest thing that separates him is his work ethic and he's really focused. He's extremely competitive, too, which you have to be to run hurdles and play cornerback.

"I think he will do well. I really do."

Kevin Price is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

nocleats writes:

Nocleats loves RockyTop Too! I just dont care for the sissy whoooo that fans add to it. Come on students, think up something to replace the whoooo.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Agree the whoooo is shizcoff, but mainly welcome aboard, new Vol!!!

vol45 writes:

in response to BobKeslingSux:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to BobKeslingSux:

Bob Kesling doesn't suck. You do

Hillbilly_Orange writes:

in response to BobKeslingSux:

Hey thata way to support this new Volunteer kid. You jerk!!

nocleats writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Nope, loved the black jerseys, just dont care for the whooo. Many Vol fans like myself would like to see it replaced with something better, thats all.

Orangeatang writes:

in response to Hillbilly_Orange:

Hey thata way to support this new Volunteer kid. You jerk!!

I'm glad for the kid, but not for our program. It came down to us and Kentucky? Really? Oh God...

Hounddog writes:

Kentucky and Vandy both are in the SEC and in the last few years we have been fortunate to get out of those games with a win. How can any of you VOL fans(?) be critical of a player of this talent level. Don;t you realize they read your comments? I will bet if Coleman had chosen KY you would be on here crying, "we can't beat out KY!" Please get a life.

The Hounddog, fan for 40 years WELCOMES YOU TO ROCKY TOP young man and I for one look forward to seeing you acheive ALL SEC status at UT.

Hounddog.

worldwideturd writes:

in response to nocleats:

Agree 100%

Carlitovol writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

*****ATTENTION********
***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT******

To all the whiners/haters/complainers out there - if you don't have anything good to say, seriously, just shut the x up. All your complaining is doing ZERO good for the program.

If you want to pull for another team that's raking in 5* players, then why don't you go jump on the frickin' Bama or FLA bandwagon. That might make your life a whole helluva lot easier.

The hole we're in isn't going to be dug out of in one recruiting class. If you think differently, you need to get your head out of the sand. The only way CDD & company could haul in 5* commits at this juncture would be if they were giving out the Reggie Bush treatment in large doses.

This whole process of rebuilding is going to take TIME. Lots of TIME. Did I mention TIME????

This coaching staff has yet to put a product on the field and NSD is 6+ months away. Please wait until February 5th, 2011 to do your whining. If we sign zero 4 or 5 star players by that point, then your whining will at least have a sliver of merit.

Until then, stick it where the sun don't shine. Or trade in your orange for blue or crimson or whatever.

That is all.

SummittsCourt writes:

Welcome aboard young man! Lets all sing a chorus of Rockytop!

Carlitovol writes:

oh, AND WELCOME TO BIG ORANGE COUNTRY JUSTIN COLEMAN!!!!

If you happen to read this article and these comments, please ignore all the haters - I believe it's called "small-man syndrome".

lincolncovol writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

Bob Kesling doesn't suck. You do

I disagree, he and Bob , both blow.

10cvolnga writes:

Welcome to Rocky Top young man!! We need men with strong work ethics. I've seen firsthand the type of competiton you've been facing at your level of Georgia high school football. Our coaching staff will make sure your transition from Friday night to Saturday football will be successful. GBO!!

rockytopatl writes:

in response to Carlitovol:

oh, AND WELCOME TO BIG ORANGE COUNTRY JUSTIN COLEMAN!!!!

Amen!

Justin, welcome to the Vol family. We are happy to have you. I personally love to see Georgia boys come to Tennessee.

For some of our fans who lack class and spend their days counting stars, we apologize. Those of us who know a thing or two about football know that when you can run a 4.4 40, you can play.

12Hours writes:

What Carlitovol said!!
And here's what Coleman said that you should all read carefully and comprehend:
Notice he says Dooley will push everyone to be the "people" they are supposed to be. Not just the "players".
That's the culture change I'm looking forward to!!!

american_pitvol_terrier writes:

in response to Carlitovol:

*****ATTENTION********
***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT******

That is all.

THIS! Get On Board Or Shut THE +@#& UP!I will support this team no matter what, come hell or highwater. Great post. GBO!

walter1998 writes:

in response to Carlitovol:

*****ATTENTION********
***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT******

That is all.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

With all of these so called 3* every win will be that much sweeter especially agianst bama and floriduh. Go Dooley!

allvol9 writes:

Welcome to Big Orange Country. Awesome choice in music....love that Rocky Top! But really no choice when it comes to UT football or Ky football....we have tradition and he recognized that!

ooltewahvol3 writes:

This kid is a good get. Great corner from south GA. GBO!

Southland writes:

Man it is awful to get three star players with brains and character. We should continue to recruit 5 star players that hold up people with plastic uzzis and kick policemen in the head when they are down on the grounds. Yeah, lets turn the state university into a maximum security prison just as long as we have a great football team. You whiners are sick and stupid. As for dissing players that consider Ky, I sure wished we had Randall Cobb and some of the UK players that have made it to the pros in the past few years. Seems like Vanderbilt has put a few defensive players in the pros as well. Oh well, we can only recruit the ones Florida does or we are failing. Get a life folks Get a life

xx5vegasxx writes:

in response to BobKeslingSux:

Ya! This means he'll probably have a 3.5 GPA on his own, won't miss class, won't be at BAR Knoxville kicking off duty cops in the head or robbing Pilot stores! OH! That makes it PERFECT!!!!

DaddyVol writes:

in response to nocleats:

How about the howl of a hound dog down in the holler?

govols2104 writes:

in response to nocleats:

what do you suggest?

BigBadVol writes:

I don't understand all the arrogance. We whine when we get a committed 3-star recruit. Does anyone know the difference between a 3-star vs a 4-star? How many 5-star busts have we had? I can name 4 in the last 5 years. Yea we competed against Kentucky. Does Randall Cobb ring a bell? Idiots.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Southland:

Southland I didn't see your post before I posted but I agree 100%.

orangecountyvols writes:

Carlitovol,

Awesome post...........a reverse slam dunk, home run, 100 yd k.o. return etc.

As for the Bob Kesling user name, how utterly tasteless and that's a ban looking to happen.

Interestingly, there are at least 15 or 20 really good posters on here, there are some whiny Vols who always complain, and of course our loyal trolls who are ever present.

Go Vols, you who wear the Orange with class

SuperVolsFanRay writes:

Placed second in the 300-Meter hurdles and 5th in the 110-Meter hurdles as a Junior in the GEORGIA State Track Meet. Impressive, sounds like a great athlete! Glad to have him in Knoxville.

ChkrboardCoonHound (Inactive) writes:

I'm getting real tired of all yall asking where all the "4*" and "5*" recruits are. We're in a rebuilding process people and this is what it looks like. Ya'll that are asking for these big recruits will be the ones that are calling for Coach Dooley's job if we only win 4-5 games this year. Have patience, have faith, and realize that we've got a four year time horizon to get this thing back on track, and that there's a reason Dooley and his staff gets paid to coach football and we don't.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

OK Doc, I remember that smoggy smoke when I was at Rocky Top a few years ago (I get tested for that now) and your version of Rocky Top makes me think that you may be inhaling some of that smoggy smoke. Nevertheless, staying at least a hundred yards away from a Tennessee elected official sounds like a good idea.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

The ones that continuously complain will never stop, that's the way they truck through life....kinda sad but some people can't discuss anything without complaining, it's a way of life.....feel sorry for the poor souls, life must be hell living that way day after day

For those who really see what is going on here, this is another great job by Dooley and his staff...great kid with a lot of athletic ability....give me an entire team of these guys and watch the program start back in the right direction

newvolfan writes:

I know this is a football post but in comparing college athletes lets look at men's basketball. Lets see Kentucky had 5 guys go in the first round of NBA draft and NCAA national champs Duke had 0.

I can explain real simply what Coach Dooley is doing recruiting wise, now here is his secret but you must not tell. He is going after low profile kids who for some reason (financially, etc..) has not been able to attend all of these high profile combines. Now think about this, Dooley's father was very successful at Georgia and still has some amazing ties in the Georgia area so we are going to get some Georgia kids that may have never been to a (I will pay and you rate me) combine.. Think about all of the great athletes in Fla. Al. and in Ga. that can not afford to go to a combine but can still play the game, should Dooley not evaluate these kids and sign when we can?? Sure he should and he will. So just give him time and lets see where we go.. Also we have a great recruiting coordinator in the Georgia area named V. Dooley and I really trust this guy. So, I promise you, time will tell. Patience my friends is a virtue.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones."

And some days are just worth living because one's faith in the intellect and creativity of others can be enjoyed. This is one of those days.

Baby Ruth transgression can be overlooked if your wallet can open to Belmont. They don't have a football team so it doesn't present ethical or loyalty issues.

As in original version, no WOO.

Thanks, WD.

justdooleyit writes:

This kid sounds like he has some smarts and will be in the dorm studying instead of out all hours of the night. If this staff likes this guy, I am all excited about him. I think we will be shocked at how good we are this year and even better next year. I remember last year when everyone was saying we would not win 4 games etc. I remember everyone freaking out over our O line last year before the season started. I say we win 7 this year and win our bowl game.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to BobKeslingSux:

Dude, STFU & wait, at least, until DD has a couple years to prove that DillWeeds like you might possibly be right!!!!

DaddyVol writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

I think they re-allowed the MSU Bulldogs to bring cow bells again. So maybe we can just make the hound dog howl. 102,000 at the same time should make quite some noise.

Now...does anyone have the political pull to bring the Vol walk back to where it belongs? Pep Band in front of the Speech Building???

DaddyVol writes:

in response to Tangie:

Hey Lacey...are you the same orange pride lady who went on a recruiting trip to Georgia?

Hounddog writes:

in response to DaddyVol:

How about the howl of a hound dog down in the holler?

Great Idea! Hounddog has young sons that can really Howl! I will see if I can get Sun Studio here in Memphis to "professionally" do that and send it over to Knoxville. My Howling days are over...sort like listening to John Prine these days...still great but not what I used to be!
Hounddog

jerseydevilvol writes:

in response to Carlitovol:

*****ATTENTION********
***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT******

That is all.

Well said. Im so sick and tired of reading these boards and all I see is vol fans crying. I've never been to a Vols game, and believe me I want to go more then anything in the world. Im born and raised in jersey, but my family is from East Tn, and The closest Ive been to Neyland was on the Tenn River. I've been brought up on sec tradition, and believe me my blood runs as orange as the morning sun. So what pisses me off is I come on here and see vol fans whining about this and that when most of you have the pleasure of going to games and watching the vols live. Be thankful you get to see them when you want to, cuz i love the vols with all my heart and I just dont have the money to get down there and see them in person. I won't even drink gatorade because it originated from the Florida gators,lol. One day Im gonna make it down there though but untill that day you guys need to shut up and be thankful you get to watch the only team that I would die to see atleast once in my life

jerseydevilvol writes:

And as for Mr. Coleman,Congrats on choosing the Vols, sounds like you really want to give your all for Tennessee. Doesnt matter how many stars you got aslong as you got the desire to represent your school in a positive way and play as hard as you can.

pms151 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

When I graduated the whooooooo was not there and we were winning championships. It is both sissy and sad.

pms151 writes:

in response to newvolfan:

And since you are such a good historian I will only slightly reprimand you for the obvious oversight. Vince was fired at UGA primarily for his ability to recall his past rather than his ability to perceive his present.

volsfannsc writes:

in response to BobKeslingSux:

Quick! Someone get DD and tell him we have a top-notch recruiter in the wings just waiting for the word. His time as an arm-chair recruiter and whiner has made him one of the most sought after ever! So what if his username is negative- so what if his outlook for the Vols are negative- so what if his life is such a shambles he doesn't even like himself....this guy knows talent and how to recruit. BKS, get a life and an antidepressant to get you moving forward. Are you so in to yourself that you have failed to realize what has gone on the last few years. I just don't see the 5 stars waking up in the morning and having an epiphany to play at UT right now....they will...but not right now. It's a wait and see game on TN. But we all know that with your excellent guidance and pessimism, you can get those 5 stars in here. Be careful of the Brown's of the world.....they can really stink up a place with their 5 star attitudes.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Carlitovol:

*****ATTENTION********
***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT******

That is all.

I whole heartily agree..Recruiting 5* comes pretty easy for Saban and Meyer when they are shaking a recruits hand wearing a NC ring and their in state talent is over the top..This is a 3 year rebuild and I believe much of our success will be based on good leadership and a team work ethic..Here's to Justin having a healthy,successful senior year and an early graduation!!!

shulessjo writes:

3 star recruits... for what the ratings are worth. Lest we forget that our program is semi-officially in disaray with a new coach trying to stabilize things to include recruitng players that have been recruited by other schools for a longer period of time.

Just suppose 3 star is a correct assessment. I would suugest for UT to get thru the recruitment process this year, three stars is a solid class. A team is made up of almost 5 total recruiting classes. Dooley inherited some classes that started off poor and Kiffin's illustrious top ten is no more. When I have time, I'll post some past "3" star UT recruits. You will recognize their names.

Let's all get a sense of reality. AS for Kentucky and Vandy.....not necessarily easy wins for the Vols over the past few seasons.

fronix5000 writes:

in response to Carlitovol:

*****ATTENTION********
***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT******

That is all.

AGREE!!!! THIS KID LOOKS GREAT! Forget what they ranked him, he's been on my radar for a year. I'm super excited he chose us. Dooley knows what he is doing, so please stop COMPLAINING! This is a great athelete, who seems to actually have a brain as well. I can't wait to see this guy prove you whiners wrong. GO VOLS, Welcome Kid, glad to have you on board....God Bless The Vol Nation.

fronix5000 writes:

in response to shulessjo:

Well Said....I don't know why they are upset that we got A GREAT KID, SUPER PLAYER, and he isn't the type to get stuck in the crossbar hotel like Nuke and Miles....I'm happy for us and for him...welcome man.

fronix5000 writes:

in response to VOODOOley:

Classic as always WitchDoctor..made me happy!

gnm53108 writes:

Damn this kid is fast.

Welcome Justin.

Oh...Once again Rich was right.Do we have anymore on the horizon?